Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Heikki Kovalainen - This is the end of career?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#151 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 17:35

As a person he's fine.. he's good in interviews etc.

As a driver, I've never been impressed. Even his win, came under unimpressive circumstances. It's hard to find any positives about his driving.

He doesn't remind me at all, of Heidfeld, who was a very solid driver IMO. I wish Heiki all of the best, but this news isn't surprising.

I think what really hurt Heikki was the fact that when it really mattered (end of '08 and contract renewal time in '09) his performances where pretty poor by comparison. I think he proved he had good speed, i think from memory (don't quote me on this!) he was actually closer to Lewis over one lap then Jenson was but he had a bad habit of going backwards in the races, i'd of liked to have seen him in a decent car during the full tanks/Pirelli era though, just to see if his race performances where any better.

Advertisement

#152 P123

P123

• 8,629 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:36

Both Whitmarsh and Hamilton have ulterior motives for praising Heikki imo. He ranks along Magnussen as far as F1 disapointments go.

HK did defeat Fisichella at Renault in his rookie season and was generally unlucky in 2008. He also seemed the better of the two when paired with Trulli at Lotus. He may not be top tier, but he's nowhere near to being Magnussen-esque either.

#153 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,393 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:44

HK did defeat Fisichella at Renault in his rookie season and was generally unlucky in 2008. He also seemed the better of the two when paired with Trulli at Lotus. He may not be top tier, but he's nowhere near to being Magnussen-esque either.

In terms of how dissapointing he has been yes he is.

As Magnussen he was touted as a posible future world champion but he only managed 1 lucky win in his career. Another proof that that being great in junior formulas doesn't mean you will rule in F1.

#154 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:48

Judging by Heikki´s twitter feed, he is at least keeping himself in great condition, training hard...

9 Feb
2h cross country skiing today, managed to push the flu away overnight so my "train hard when getting ill" trick still works...

8 Feb
Tried shaking the developing flu away with a cross country skiing session… might not have worked this time

8 Feb
Does anyone near Geneva have an idea if the cross country skiing tracks in Jura mountain are in good condition?

7 Feb
Average cycling test today, not getting everything out of the body this time. Maybe bit much training recently. Legs felt heavy from start

6 Feb
Back home, tomorrow fitness tests day 1, going to do cycling VO2 max test at home then power / strength tests the next day...

4 Feb
F1 testing resuming today - thanks for the Caterham F1 Team for the past 3 years and I wish them all the best for the future!

"Train hard when getting ill" though? I would have thought that could be dangerous!

Edited by Mendel, 10 February 2013 - 19:48.

#155 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 19:53

Me too. The vdGardes and Razias are wasting a huge amount of money in 2013 with zero expected return.

Just be happy it's not Mazzacanes, Rossets or Yoongs who are flooding the seats. At least Van der Garde and Razia have proven to be reasonable racing drivers in GP2.

#156 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,006 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 23:41

We've had some drivers that were that crap recently. Chandhok looked pretty Yoong-esque at Nurburging 2011 (anti-stall saved him from retiring in embarassing fashion). Karthikeyan crashed out in bizarre fashion on a number of occasions, and he's still being rumoured for FI. Yamamoto was pretty bad too at HRT. Liuzzi (Monza crash) and d'Ambrosio (pitlane spin) also had some dumb moments.

I fully expect the rookies to be involved in crashes - Maldonado and Grosjean set a precedent for bringing their GP2 antics along for the ride.

Edited by Prost1997T, 10 February 2013 - 23:42.

#157 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,814 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 00:24

Just be happy it's not Mazzacanes, Rossets or Yoongs who are flooding the seats. At least Van der Garde and Razia have proven to be reasonable racing drivers in GP2.

Well, Rosset's F3000 record (runner-up in his first and only season) is better than either Van der Garde's or Razia's... :drunk:

Although I would be very surprised if either of them turn out to be as out of their depth in F1 as he was.

#158 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44

As Magnussen he was touted as a posible future world champion but he only managed 1 lucky win in his career.

Apart from that one win, HK has scored 105 points in his F1 career. Magnussen score One point.

No comparison, really..

#159 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44

As Magnussen he was touted as a posible future world champion but he only managed 1 lucky win in his career.

Apart from that one win, HK has scored 105 points in his F1 career. Magnussen scored One point.

No comparison, really..

Edited by Craven Morehead, 11 February 2013 - 08:45.

Advertisement

#160 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,393 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:25

Apart from that one win, HK has scored 105 points in his F1 career. Magnussen score One point.

No comparison, really..

Jan never got to drive a World champion car.

#161 RJL

RJL

• 3,173 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:53

Jan never got to drive a World champion car.

That's because he was entirely out of his depth in Formula One. Unlike Heikki Kovalainnen, who, while not being from the absolute top drawer, still showed he belonged in F1.

#162 Oho

Oho

• 7,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29

It's hard to find any positives about his driving.

Perhaps you should try harder considering he was contracted by McLaren. For that matter if I correctly recall his 2007 season with Renault, especially bottom half of it, did look very promising, and while in races he had the bad tendency of fading away he was able to, in quite a few occasions, bring the fight to Lewis Hamilton in qualifying so speed was there.

#163 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,672 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:10

That's because he was entirely out of his depth in Formula One. Unlike Heikki Kovalainnen, who, while not being from the absolute top drawer, still showed he belonged in F1.

Jan wasn't out of his depth at all, I'm sure he would've been brilliant given the right support and the in the right team. His potential was never realised. Look at the opportunities Liuzzi has had, now there's someone out of his depth.

#164 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,825 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:19

Heikki might have defrauded expectations like Jan but has achieved far more than Jan, who shown very little determination in a F1 car and was badly outdriven by Rubens Barrichello of all people. At least Heikki had a couple of good years beating drivers of the same level of Rubens albeit past their peaks - Fisi and Trulli.

Yes he was given a top car and ultimately did little with it but he earned that ride.

#165 Oho

Oho

• 7,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 13:45

Jan wasn't out of his depth at all, I'm sure he would've been brilliant given the right support and the in the right team.

No kidding, I rather think he was given pretty solid opportunity with Stewart but failed to capitalize. Drivers being recruited straight to top teams are an exception. Of the current crop Hamilton and perhaps Grosjean on his second stint are pretty much the only drivers landing plum seats straight of the bat and with Grosjean competitiveness of the car was bit of a surprise.

#166 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,096 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:02

Heikki has been offered advisor/reserve driver role by Caterham according to Cyril Abiteboul and they are having talks, also Pirelli is interestes from Heikki but will he take any role from these will be seen, I don't think he will as he has stated he won't want any testdriver role.

#167 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 742 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:13

Heikki has been offered advisor/reserve driver role by Caterham according to Cyril Abiteboul and they are having talks, also Pirelli is interestes from Heikki but will he take any role from these will be seen, I don't think he will as he has stated he won't want any testdriver role.

That would be a good solution, would be great to see him in the car on Fridays rather than just walking away from F1, and he will be well placed if they look like they will have a competitive car in 2014.

I think the first set of upgrades for the CT03 are going to be key, for the first time for the team will they bolt on and work as predicted, if so it looks good for 2014.

#168 proviz

proviz

• 222 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:22

Above all, I hope Heikki gets relieved from his F1-addiction, that way he could still actually achieve something in the sport. The last three years have been a complete waste of a perfectly good racing driver and any kind of extension to Heikki's liasion with Team Malaysia would just diminish his chances of finding something worthwhile to drive outside F1.

#169 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 14:40

Yes he was given a top car and ultimately did little with it but he earned that ride.

I don't think we'll ever find out the whole truth about the McLaren disappointment. The most detailed argument I've heard was that it was about set-up: if he set up the car so it fit his driving style he was as fast as Hamilton, but the car chewed it's rear tyres. If the car was set up to conserve tyres, he was off the pace by a few tenths having to drive in a way he couldn't come to terms with. Before or after his McLaren years HK didn't really ever show signs of not having race pace to match his blinding laps in qualifying. In his first ever GP2 race, he qualified badly, took the mandatory pit stop in the beginning of the race and finished first by overtaking all the leaders when they pitted.

I don't think HK ever really was WDC material, but he was definitely in the right place in F1. I would rate him somewhere alongside Webber and Rosberg. Apart from Hamilton, there wasn't really a team mate who was faster. I hope he stays in competitive racing in some series rather than becoming the next Gene or de la Rosa in F1 or worse yet, a simulator driver. In his year between GP2 and F1 race seat Heikki tested the Renault for over 30,000kms. There aren't a lot of recent F1 drivers with more F1 miles than him, and with the testing restrictions now in place there ever won't be either.

#170 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 15:56

I would like to know the reason for this .... such turnarounds do not happen by chance alone.

For the majority of the season, in qualifying Kovalainen was pumelling Petrov by as much as Kubica was in 2010, making me reassess Kubica's speed slightly - Petrov is pretty shit. Has the odd good weekend, but that's the height of it. Heikki was a very capable driver who didn't show his best at McLaren, I feel certain of that much.

#171 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 20:43

I don't think HK ever really was WDC material, but he was definitely in the right place in F1. I would rate him somewhere alongside Webber and Rosberg. Apart from Hamilton, there wasn't really a team mate who was faster. I hope he stays in competitive racing in some series rather than becoming the next Gene or de la Rosa in F1 or worse yet, a simulator driver. In his year between GP2 and F1 race seat Heikki tested the Renault for over 30,000kms. There aren't a lot of recent F1 drivers with more F1 miles than him, and with the testing restrictions now in place there ever won't be either.

Both have issues with consistency, but I'd rate their highs a fair bit better than Kovalainen's. He had a chance to prove he could do the good #2 thing, he didn't deliver.

As heartless as it sounds, I can't bring myself to mourn his loss from the grid that much. He was hardly the worst driver on the grid but neither was he particularly close to the best. To me his Caterham years always seemed like borrowed time - none of the established teams wanted him after 2009. And if you looked at the race at the back I don't think he was convincing enough against Petrov to earn another chance with them either.

#172 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:03

Both have issues with consistency, but I'd rate their highs a fair bit better than Kovalainen's. He had a chance to prove he could do the good #2 thing, he didn't deliver.

As heartless as it sounds, I can't bring myself to mourn his loss from the grid that much. He was hardly the worst driver on the grid but neither was he particularly close to the best. To me his Caterham years always seemed like borrowed time - none of the established teams wanted him after 2009. And if you looked at the race at the back I don't think he was convincing enough against Petrov to earn another chance with them either.

Fair enough. I'n not in mourning about Heikki either, but I'm certainly not happy about the trend of talent being swapped for cash.

I don't think one should look too much into the race finishing results with Caterham - it's very seldom they didn't have an issue with KERS, DRS, or something else in one car or another, and they always went for oddball pit stop strategies especially when the conditions were off with hope of striking lucky.

#173 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,406 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:34

he should offer his services to Mercedes in DTM, they still have 5 vacant seats available (with 1 probably going to Christian Vietoris)!

#174 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 20:43

What about looking at Porsche? All of their factory drivers are already in the Audis or GTEs. They will probably start testing sometime this year, and will want an experienced high-level driver.

#175 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 20:01

he should offer his services to Mercedes in DTM, they still have 5 vacant seats available (with 1 probably going to Christian Vietoris)!

Heikki has stated that he is not interested in other motorsports than F1. :well:

#176 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,406 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:18

Heikki has stated that he is not interested in other motorsports than F1. :well:

that's silly of him, what if he never finds a drive again? That's plausible, is he never going to drive a racecar again then? Surely sportscars or DTM would be a good alternative, better than doing nothing in any case. At least Bruno Senna and Timo Glock found a new job (Alguersuari too, as a dj :) ).

Edited by William Hunt, 15 February 2013 - 01:19.

#177 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 641 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:25

What about looking at Porsche? All of their factory drivers are already in the Audis or GTEs. They will probably start testing sometime this year, and will want an experienced high-level driver.

Pat Long?

#178 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:00

that's silly of him, what if he never finds a drive again? That's plausible, is he never going to drive a racecar again then? Surely sportscars or DTM would be a good alternative, better than doing nothing in any case. At least Bruno Senna and Timo Glock found a new job (Alguersuari too, as a dj :) ).

More worryingly, what is Heikki KULTA going to do?

EXCLUSIVE: Kovalainen is reportedly going to......the shops.
Reputable sources claim he is in talks with shop owner about the freshness of the milk.

Doesn't really sell newspapers, does it? :well:

#179 proviz

proviz

• 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:37

Silly in the extreme. And also the reason why Heikki has by now already wasted three of the potentially best years of his career.

Advertisement

#180 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:59

Silly in the extreme. And also the reason why Heikki has by now already wasted three of the potentially best years of his career.

I wouldn't call the Caterham years a waste. Heikki got a chance to see how a team was set up from scratch, saw first hand how difficult it is to catch the established teams, did a lot of promo work with interesting people, got to drive in formula one and was handsomely paid in the process. It was one of the, if not THE best, of the options available to him.

I agree he needs to race something this year if he's not retiring from car racing alltogether - just keeping himself fit for no purpose is not going to be very motivating and I doubt the ability will remain unless he's using it. I think he's doing ice racing near his residence during winters as practice, but cornering forces are not really comparable to any tarmac series. Getting good results in some other series than F1 could also do good for his market value. Unless he's willing to move to US, sports car racing is the obvious alternative. Heikki has also mentioned he'd like to do rally when he has the time and now it seems time is available.

#181 proviz

proviz

• 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:35

I wouldn't call the Caterham years a waste. Heikki got a chance to see how a team was set up from scratch, saw first hand how difficult it is to catch the established teams, did a lot of promo work with interesting people, got to drive in formula one and was handsomely paid in the process. It was one of the, if not THE best, of the options available to him.

I agree he needs to race something this year if he's not retiring from car racing alltogether - just keeping himself fit for no purpose is not going to be very motivating and I doubt the ability will remain unless he's using it. I think he's doing ice racing near his residence during winters as practice, but cornering forces are not really comparable to any tarmac series. Getting good results in some other series than F1 could also do good for his market value. Unless he's willing to move to US, sports car racing is the obvious alternative. Heikki has also mentioned he'd like to do rally when he has the time and now it seems time is available.

What good is it for a driver to see how a team is set up from scratch unless he's planning to go through the same process again, which in turn means he's going absolutely nowhere career-wise? What good is it to see from first hand how difficult it is to catch the established teams? What good is it from a driving-career point of view to do promo work with "interesting people"? Just driving in F1 for the sake of being there cannot be worth anything for a person with real self-esteem. Which leaves being paid handsomely. Well, exactly!
Apart from the money it would have been better for Heikki to just step aside and wait for a a proper drive. In any series.

#182 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,814 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 16:48

That's what Kobayashi said when he was trying to retain his own drive, and now he's poised to become a Ferrari GT driver (according to Autosport) - I'd be surprised if Kovalainen doesn't pop up in another series at some point.

#183 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:21

What good is it for a driver to see how a team is set up from scratch unless he's planning to go through the same process again, which in turn means he's going absolutely nowhere career-wise? What good is it to see from first hand how difficult it is to catch the established teams?

It's very beneficial if the driver ever will think about starting a racing team of his own or becomes an advisor to a new team. For instance. Heikki won't be a racing driver all his life even if he finds an avenue to continue his driving career this year.

#184 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:08

i read an excellent quote from brundle describing kobayashi's problem :

" he'd be amazing from time to time, pull off a few great overtakes, and be on the missing list for the rest of the season."

#185 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:27

A bit like most good midfield drivers. Di Resta, Perez, and your torro rosso driver of choice were all identical cases in that regard. They cant be expected to shine when the car wont allow it. In particular when you have good team mates, it makes both look average.

Edited by ApexMouse, 16 February 2013 - 18:28.

#186 Dolph

Dolph

• 5,065 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:44

When?

#187 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,776 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:56

I'm thinking of posting every day so that this thread stays on page 1.

Just because HK's F1 career has ended, that's not a reason for this thread to end.

:lol:

#188 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:56

i read an excellent quote from brundle describing kobayashi's problem :

That applies to pretty much every driver in midfield cars though.

#189 svalgis

svalgis

• 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 19:22

which would mean kobe is just like any other midfield driver then.

i don't really agree though simply because i think he shined the brightest when he did shine. but maybe that's just what i like to think because he was entertaining to watch.

#190 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 19:28

which would mean kobe is just like any other midfield driver then.

i don't really agree though simply because i think he shined the brightest when he did shine. but maybe that's just what i like to think because he was entertaining to watch.

Tough call for me, what with Hulkenberg in there. I agree though, he really improved his quali in 2012, and should have been rewarded with far better results on more than a few occasions thanks to accidents (Spa, Valencia to name two) and completly dumb strategy (China, Bahrain) spring to mind.

#191 done

done

• 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 19:37

A bit like most good midfield drivers. Di Resta, Perez, and your torro rosso driver of choice were all identical cases in that regard. They cant be expected to shine when the car wont allow it. In particular when you have good team mates, it makes both look average.

lets see :

Force India : Hulkenberg beat di resta in the last part of the season consistently in qualy and race
Williams : maldonado demolished senna in qualifying
Sauber : perez scored 3 podiums , koba 1 podium : , tied in qualy i think and perez is ahead in the standings

so kobayashi didnt shine in any particular area like maldonado or hulkenberg , and to be honest he crashed a lot last season (valencia : twice , korea ).
i love kobayashi and his banzai moves but i think he gets missing a lot

#192 pdac

pdac

• 1,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 23:56

lets see :

Force India : Hulkenberg beat di resta in the last part of the season consistently in qualy and race
Williams : maldonado demolished senna in qualifying
Sauber : perez scored 3 podiums , koba 1 podium : , tied in qualy i think and perez is ahead in the standings

so kobayashi didnt shine in any particular area like maldonado or hulkenberg , and to be honest he crashed a lot last season (valencia : twice , korea ).
i love kobayashi and his banzai moves but i think he gets missing a lot

Oh, did I misread something? I thought it said "Heikki Kovalainen" in the title.

#193 discover23

discover23

• 4,361 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:19

When?

True.
:lol:

#194 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:47

When?

His rookie year, and his first two years at Caterham.

Don't forget, team bosses voted him driver of the year in 2011 did they not?

#195 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,776 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:40

Don't forget, team bosses voted him driver of the year in 2011 did they not?

They voted for him, and then a year later, none of them wanted to give him a drive.

It just proves how little the team bosses' opinion is worth - 'as good as your last race' certainly applies to them.

HK's problem seems to have been that he took their endorsement seriously.

#196 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:10

They voted for him, and then a year later, none of them wanted to give him a drive.

It just proves how little the team bosses' opinion is worth - 'as good as your last race' certainly applies to them.

HK's problem seems to have been that he took their endorsement seriously.

Or 'as big as your wallet is'
Todays F1,'the pinnacle of the motorsport', is been filled with new drivers with big money.
Meanwhile drivers with great talent are forced to take seats in other racing series.
Which racing serie has the honour calling itself 'the pinnacle of motorsport'? Whitch criteria should we use?
The racing serie with most advanced cars or
the serie with greatest profit and sale or
the serie with most talented drivers?

#197 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 15:53

Have never understood this thinking. Lots have drivers have fantastic careers, and are actually paid as well, outside of F1. Timo Glock has done the right thing in going to BMW DTM, as has Bruno Senna, going to AstonMartin in the WEC.

#198 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:17

its what f1 folk want to hear, thats why they say that

#199 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,068 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:35

To be fair to those guys that talk about not being interested in other racing, I can understand that thinking. To a lot of people there is just something about F1, and if I can feel it (and I'm just some moron getting up at 7am to watch the races) than I bet a lot of the drivers get the same feeling. Not all of them will, but some of them, and it must be so hard to give up on Formula 1. It's why I think it is way, way more ludicrous a statement from fans to say "Oh Rubens why don't you give up/Webber should just retire/etc" than to question why a guy doesn't give up on F1.

I think something else to consider is how different you might feel if you never get a taste of F1, versus having barely a moment in the big show and then having it all taken away. I'd rather be a guy like Valsecchi/Soucek/Hartley who never gets a drive than to be a Klien/di Grassi/Chandhok type character who hangs around for years and years and only gets the odd taste. If you are a "racing driver" and manage a random shot at F1 and have a season or two I imagine your feelings towards your exit from F1 must be quite different than if it is what you have aimed for your entire life and it's over and gone before you notice. I've often felt in my own thoughts about if I was ever a racing driver that I'd probably (and I'm only half-kidding) wind up throwing myself off a bridge if I spent 20 years focussed on a sport that chewed me up and spit me back out after 19 races, 0 points and then I spent a further 10 years trying to get back on the other side of the pit wall. It can't be an easy thing to walk away from for a lot of guys, and I don't think any less of any driver who refuses to walk away.

Would never say Kovalainen got "barely a moment" in F1 of course, but it must feel like barely a moment when it (seems) to be coming to an end.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 18 February 2013 - 17:37.

Advertisement

#200 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:35

Nice tribute someone made . Nothing too special but ... nice :)