Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Heikki Kovalainen - This is the end of career?

• Please log in to reply
305 replies to this topic

#201 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,213 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:07

Here is a wild rumour!

The Swedish F1 commentator (who is in Barcelona at the moment) has heard from an employe at "Riedel communications" which delivers radio-equipment to Marussia, that they have prepared a radio kit for Heikki for this week.

Remember problems with Razias payments last week? maybe his F1 career was over before it began? and now Kovalainen is in the frame..

Of course it can be that Heikki is just helping out with the settings on the car, but exciting nevertheless!

Advertisement

#202 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 556 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 00:18

Here is a wild rumour!

The Swedish F1 commentator (who is in Barcelona at the moment) has heard from an employe at "Riedel communications" which delivers radio-equipment to Marussia, that they have prepared a radio kit for Heikki for this week.

Remember problems with Razias payments last week? maybe his F1 career was over before it began? and now Kovalainen is in the frame..

Of course it can be that Heikki is just helping out with the settings on the car, but exciting nevertheless!

Thats a wild rumor,,,, i like it!

Whitmarsh made a comment about kova a few weeks ago, maybe he delved deep into his guilty pockets to make this happen.....

More inspiring than Razia, but Glock would have still been a better decision. Oh to wonder if and what's going on!

#203 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:05

interesting rumour, for that to be true would mean McLaren has somehow backed Heikki but will see if true, hopefully it's.

#204 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 138 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:35

interesting rumour, for that to be true would mean McLaren has somehow backed Heikki but will see if true, hopefully it's.

Would be great, keeping fingers crossed. Altho all these rumours are mostly false....

#205 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:52

Would love to see Heikki back. I hope it's true.

#206 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:04

Here is a wild rumour!

Wow, if its true. That would be really interesting to see.

Marussia/Heikki vs Caterham/Pic = :up:

#207 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:05

Would love to see Heikki get the Marussia drive and score a point in a crazy race, getting one up on his old team!

#208 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,531 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20

Would love to see Heikki get the Marussia drive and score a point in a crazy race, getting one up on his old team!

+1

Even though still driving for the last positions, I think that would be some motivation for him to stay around one more year.

Do McLaren have an official reserve driver btw?

Edited by Mauseri, 28 February 2013 - 10:21.

#209 Wander

Wander

• 2,281 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:29

+1

Even though still driving for the last positions, I think that would be some motivation for him to stay around one more year.

Do McLaren have an official reserve driver btw?

I haven't heard the term "reserve" on Gary Paffett or Oliver Turvey, but those are the test drivers.

#210 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 729 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36

:)

#211 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01

I really can't see this happening though. As much as I would love a non-pay driver to take that seat, Marussia have already said they need a pay driver and with Razia's sponsorships saying they won't pay towards Marussia, it looks like it will be Karthikeyan or Bianchi.

#212 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:09

Stranger things have happened, I would love very much to see him in the seat.

If I had to pick one other than Heikki, then Bianchi.

#213 proviz

proviz

• 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:09

Here is a wild rumour!

Three years in a rubbish team did not do any good for Heikki, so he should by now realize that one more year in a team of similar status is not going to take his career anywhere. I do hope he sees the light and targets a drive somewhere outside F1.

#214 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:16

I really can't see this happening though. As much as I would love a non-pay driver to take that seat, Marussia have already said they need a pay driver and with Razia's sponsorships saying they won't pay towards Marussia, it looks like it will be Karthikeyan or Bianchi.

Yeah sounds too much like wishful thinking to be true.

If it is I hope Max Chilton has a calendar in hand, he's going to need it to measure the laptime differences to his team-mate.

#215 skyform

skyform

• 426 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:28

Sutil gets a seat and Heikki not! :rolleyes: !

#216 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:52

This is grazy :drunk:

The Finnish MTV3 reports from Barcelona less than 10 minutes ago that the negotations are 100% fact....

Edited by Sammyosammy, 28 February 2013 - 11:52.

#217 Owen

Owen

• 10,596 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:55

^ yep

Oskari Saari ‏@OskariSaari

Kovalainen in talks with Marussia!

#218 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:56

^ yep

Oskari Saari ‏@OskariSaari

Kovalainen in talks with Marussia!

No sponsorship.. So McLaren must be involved.

#219 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:00

how on earth you made that connection???

Advertisement

#220 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,531 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:00

Or maybe Marussia just need a driver to race?

Intermediate solution until they actually get someone paying to drive for them?

Edited by Mauseri, 28 February 2013 - 12:02.

#221 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:03

Aren't Marussia and McLaren in a technical partnership?

#222 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:05

Aren't Marussia and McLaren in a technical partnership?

yes, so are FI, but that's only in using simulator and wind tunnel using. unless HK brings atleast handfull of money, i don't see him in a marussia.

#223 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:14

yes, so are FI, but that's only in using simulator and wind tunnel using. unless HK brings atleast handfull of money, i don't see him in a marussia.

He has said he won't be hunting for money. The only scenario this could happen is that there is some oligark who badly wants to spank Caterham's a** :rotfl:

#224 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,337 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:15

"Following a disappointing start to the 2011 season, the team parted company with Wirth Research, and entered a relationship with McLaren Applied Technologies ahead of the 2012 season." according to Wikipedia about Marussia F1.

#225 Alolnso

Alolnso

• 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:16

I thought there were tons of pay drivers out there.

#226 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:35

Just because Martin likes Heikki doesn't really mean he's going to pay for his seat or heavily lobby for it (as in "hire him and we'll owe you a favour or give you a discount on our partnership"), it doesn't make any sense from McLaren's POV, they dumped him as a driver when they had him ffs.

#227 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 342 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:37

I thought there were tons of pay drivers out there.

Maybe they are after talent and experience to make some sense of their testing! Perhaps Chilton just cannot give proper feedback to the tech team.

Heikki will be one of the McLaren or other F1 team's "in mind" back pocket reserves...

#228 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,531 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47

Just because Martin likes Heikki doesn't really mean he's going to pay for his seat or heavily lobby for it (as in "hire him and we'll owe you a favour or give you a discount on our partnership"), it doesn't make any sense from McLaren's POV, they dumped him as a driver when they had him ffs.

Completely true. Unless Heikki is somehow linked to the collaboration of McLaren and Marussia in a way that all parties could benefit from it. For McLaren the only value of such deal could be Heikki being the reserve driver and ready to step in if needed. But they certainly are not going to pay for Marussia letting Heikki drive. Heikki would get a reserve driver salary and get to drive the McLaren simulator, which would make his price tag and usefullness more appealing for Marussia.

Just my imagination...

Edited by Mauseri, 28 February 2013 - 12:48.

#229 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,368 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:52

"Following a disappointing start to the 2011 season, the team parted company with Wirth Research, and entered a relationship with McLaren Applied Technologies ahead of the 2012 season." according to Wikipedia about Marussia F1.

If Whitmarsh is against unexperienced pay drivers and is so keen on seing Kovalainen on the grid and rates him so highly, why he doesn't drop Perez for Heikki...

Edited by Francesc, 28 February 2013 - 12:52.

#230 peroa

peroa

• 8,954 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:52

Or they need someone reliable to asses the "potential" of the car and to figure out a decent setup for the two moneymen.

#231 OnTheLimit

OnTheLimit

• 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:58

I really can't see this happening, when there are drivers like Kobayashi and Petrov with lots of money and without a drive.

#232 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:00

Or they need someone reliable to asses the "potential" of the car and to figure out a decent setup for the two moneymen.

But then, why on earth did they get rid of Glock?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against having Kovalainen back in F1, I just don't understand the logic behind the the story: the team gets rid of the driver they have under contract because they absolutely need 2 pay drivers. At that point, it doesn't matter if they have experience or not, it's the money what counts. Then, it turns out that one of the pay drivers doesn't pay and, therefore, they negotiate with a non-pay driver?

Some teams do really weird things :well:

#233 jals99

jals99

• 778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:01

I really can't see this happening, when there are drivers like Kobayashi and Petrov with lots of money and without a drive.

Vitaly does not have any money:(

#234 peroa

peroa

• 8,954 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:04

But then, why on earth did they get rid of Glock?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against having Kovalainen back in F1, I just don't understand the logic behind the the story: the team gets rid of the driver they have under contract because they absolutely need 2 pay drivers. At that point, it doesn't matter if they have experience or not, it's the money what counts. Then, it turns out that one of the pay drivers doesn't pay and, therefore, they negotiate with a non-pay driver?

Some teams do really weird things :well:

Who said anything about racing?
As you said, they need two moneymen, Heikki doesn't have any.
So, either he won the lottery or Whitmarsh is playing sugadaddy (forwhateverreason) or they need someone to make the car race ready at this last test.

#235 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:51

it's true guys! Oskari saari from MTV3 reports from barcelona that Heikki is negotiating with Marussia and is likely to test saturday!

#236 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:54

Angry birds lid will go with the car.

#237 OnTheLimit

OnTheLimit

• 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 13:56

Just popped up on the BBC live commentary for testing today:

BBC F1 pit-lane reporter Lee McKenzie in Barcelona:
"The rain has eased off and cars are heading out on to the track. It's still very cold here, with a strong wind. But it has been an interesting morning with all the off-track developments, and I have another to add into the mix. In the wake of the obvious problems between Luiz Razia and Marussia, the rumour is that Heikki Kovalainen is having a seat fitting with Marussia tonight."

#238 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,009 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:04

I think it would also be odd though at the same time, considering they got rid of Glock and now may well end up with Heikki.

Either way, I want to see Heikki in there and help the team, forget Catherham.

#239 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:17

Yeah, if I were a back-of-grid team whose paydriver had not paid, and had to run a 2nd car pro tem, I'd be looking at Kova as well. If there's no income for Car 2 may as well get someone who can drive.

Advertisement

#240 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,739 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:27

Yeah, if I were a back-of-grid team whose paydriver had not paid, and had to run a 2nd car pro tem, I'd be looking at Kova as well. If there's no income for Car 2 may as well get someone who can drive.

I guess that does make sense, and imagine if Glock was still available and not already contractually-bound to a big manufacturer in another series, he'd have been brought back instead.

However.. come on, is Razia the only paydriver out there? I know it's a last-minute deal but surely if they're so desperate for money they had to hire him, there must be someone out there who can pay a few bucks on a short-term just for a few GPs until they figure out a better deal.

But hey if they bring back Kova I won't complain.

Edited by noikeee, 28 February 2013 - 14:28.

#241 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:29

Just popped up on the BBC live commentary for testing today:

BBC F1 pit-lane reporter Lee McKenzie in Barcelona:
"The rain has eased off and cars are heading out on to the track. It's still very cold here, with a strong wind. But it has been an interesting morning with all the off-track developments, and I have another to add into the mix. In the wake of the obvious problems between Luiz Razia and Marussia, the rumour is that Heikki Kovalainen is having a seat fitting with Marussia tonight."

Great to hear that. Would be interesting if Marussia beat Caterham with Heikki on board. Mega ...

#242 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:50

http://www.motorspor...for-kovalainen/

At around the same time - just before Marussia announced Luiz Razia as Max Chilton's 2013 teammate - Whitmarsh said he made efforts to help Kovalainen to secure that seat.
"I spoke with Heikki on Tuesday, when I thought about trying to help him with regards to Marussia," he is quoted by Finland's Turun Sanomat newspaper.
McLaren has a technical collaboration in place with Marussia.

#243 Mendel

Mendel

• 148 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:51

WOW! :clap: :clap: :clap:

#244 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:13

Newest rumour is that Heikki will drive first few races that are held outside of europe and after that Marussia will look for a driver that brings money to the team...

Edited by Vesuvius, 28 February 2013 - 17:13.

#245 KavB

KavB

• 1,124 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:24

Why would Heikki even want the drive? Three years at a rubbish team, and now he's going to spend a 4th year at a team that's usually been even worse. Fair enough if he would rather stay in F1 at all costs than get a decent drive in another series.

#246 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,496 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:27

Why would Heikki even want the drive? Three years at a rubbish team, and now he's going to spend a 4th year at a team that's usually been even worse. Fair enough if he would rather stay in F1 at all costs than get a decent drive in another series.

You never know. Keke Rosberg stayed at Fittipaldi in 1981 when there were no other options - and the team barely qualified all season. Yet in 1982 he was world champ. Others like Stefan Johansson and Patrick Tambay accepted no-hope drives just to be there, and ended up at Ferrari.

#247 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,027 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:30

Heikki has stated he is not interested on other series except rally, his only way of ever getting back to F1 is to stay in F1 and with marussia if he managed to do well he could at least has a chance for a better seat for 2014.

#248 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:48

Newest rumour is that Heikki will drive first few races that are held outside of europe and after that Marussia will look for a driver that brings money to the team...

If only for a few races, then I'm not so sure anymore.

I mean would Heikki be willing to do that ? Just for a few races. Ridiculous.

He is not that desperate, or is he ?

Edited by CatInTheBag, 28 February 2013 - 17:52.

#249 charly0418

charly0418

• 1,328 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:55

If only for a few races, then I'm not so sure anymore.

I mean would Heikki be willing to do that ? Just for a few races. Ridiculous.

He is not that desperate, or is he ?

You know, I've always followed what's happening with backmarker teams, always felt for them and followed their progress through races and qualifying. But this is getting sad and pathetic. Marussia might as well disband. Caterham are a litte more stable but they cant seem to make a good car even with the resources they have.

To be honest they should just remove both teams now that HRT is gone as well.

#250 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:00

You know, I've always followed what's happening with backmarker teams, always felt for them and followed their progress through races and qualifying. But this is getting sad and pathetic. Marussia might as well disband. Caterham are a litte more stable but they cant seem to make a good car even with the resources they have.

To be honest they should just remove both teams now that HRT is gone as well.

I still have a little bit of patience left. I'll give them until the end of 2014. If they fail (get up to speed with the midfield teams), then I'll have to agree with you.