Photo

Mallory Park in the '60s

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Louism

Louism

• 49 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 13:46

Maurice Bruton has given me a series of photos he took at Mallory Park in the early 1960s which are additional to the ones already posted on the Mallory Wednesdays thread. Travelling by train to Hinkley and then by bus to the circuit, Maurice's expenses did not stretch to a programme, and thus he cannot identify either the meetings or the cars pictured. They are all before my time, and hopefully TNFers will enjoy identifying them. Please bear with me as there are 101 images to post, some better than others but all of some historical significance.......

Posted Image

Many thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures.

This AC Ace is 5 BPG chassis #BE 212 at Mallory Park on 23 April 1962 driven by John Rodgers.
Confirmed by current owner Tony Bancroft, author of Ace Bristol Racing.

Please have a look at superb restoration of that car here:

http://www.acownersc...p?TOPIC_ID=2062

Best Regards
Louis Monnier

Edited by Louism, 16 November 2012 - 13:48.

Advertisement

#52 h4887

h4887

• 881 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:54

[quote name='Giraffe' date='Nov 12 2012, 16:01' post='6019957']
Posted Image

/quote]

The Ginetta is driven by Nick Grace, the first person to race a G4, and better known in later days for his rebuild of a Spitfire from a box of bits. Does anyone know the date of this meeting?

#53 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,622 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:23

The leading E type, coupe, in front of CUT 7 is probably Robin Strurgess in 2BBC, and the little silver car behind the Aston no 24 at the end of post 5 is probably David Lewis in the mk 2 DRW, so may be able to sort date. I am not near my records/progs at present for another week.
Roger Lund

PS Lovely stuff, Tony. The Elite with stripes will be John Wagstaff in all probability, BRC..... after he took 98FP off his car. He still has the reg.

#54 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,732 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:17

The leading E type, coupe, in front of CUT 7 is probably Robin Strurgess in 2BBC, and the little silver car behind the Aston no 24 at the end of post 5 is probably David Lewis in the mk 2 DRW, so may be able to sort date. I am not near my records/progs at present for another week.
Roger Lund

PS Lovely stuff, Tony. The Elite with stripes will be John Wagstaff in all probability, BRC..... after he took 98FP off his car. He still has the reg.

As I said Roger, a Team Elite car but I could not be sure it was Waggy.

#55 Barrie Hobkirk

Barrie Hobkirk

• 129 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:18

Hello Gentlemen,
The Maserati 250F photos are from the March 8th, 1964 Mallory Park BARC meeting. John Spero brought the 250F along for a demonstration.
The driver is, as has been mentioned, Richard Attwood.
There is a race number on the car, #114. It can just be detected in the third photo on the opposite side of the nose.
Not sure what the story is with the number. Did Spero enter, intending to race and was turned down, or what. It is unusual to have a number for a "demo", noting that the number was not from some previous event.
I have a note from either Motor Sport or Autosport that it was a "high speed" demo and his time was 58 seconds.

Cheers,
Barrie

#56 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:55

Definitely looks like young Attwood

As far as I know John Spero didn't start racing until the following year. The car would surely have been entered by his father, H C 'Nobby' Spero

#57 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 70 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 15:24

The original programme lists Mike Garton as the driver of number 78.

Pete, Any chance of posting this Mallory programme?
Jake Alderson
Morgan historian

#58 pete53

pete53

• 370 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:38

Pete, Any chance of posting this Mallory programme?
Jake Alderson
Morgan historian

Jake, was it just this event you wanted? Pete
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#59 RacingCompagniet

RacingCompagniet

• 69 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:28

Posted Image

Having a special interest in Marcos GTs (I own one where the early history is unknown so far) I notice that in addition to Raymanond Nash, there was another Marcos GT entered, this one by Team Fife and driven by T. D. Simpson. First time I hear about team as well as driver, so I wonder if someone out there know more about them and.

/Lars-Göran

Advertisement

#60 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,732 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:46

Memory plays tricks, I'd forgotten I was there mechanicking John Carden in the Elan, for some reason we had a fraught practise and ended up behind Val Pirie. The car had lapped (at an earlier time) fast enough to be on the front row. One of our more frustrating meetings. By the by, John Harris in the Sebring Sprite, this was DAVID Harris driving under a "pseudonym" so that his mother did not know he, with the connivance of Warwick, where she was a holder of considerable financial influence, was still racing.
And it was Clive Hunt not Waggy, so I was right to be cautious. Obviously not cautious enough as I have just looked again and noticed that Clive was driving an Elan and the photo referred to had nothing to do with the programme

Edited by Sharman, 28 November 2012 - 14:08.

#61 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,622 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:46

It must be Dick Crossfield in the Shapecraft, the Surbiton Motors cars were a darker colour and had an additional side window behind the B pillar.

Found on e bay
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4abeb6a355
Les Arnold in the Surbiton car, Adrian Chambers in the normal version.

The driver of the no 27 Lotus 23, previous page, looks very much like Brian Hart, or the helmet looks like his
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 27 November 2012 - 13:59.

#62 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:01

Posted Image

Pete,
Thanks for the programme. Since you ask, if you have any programmes that identify and date the other Morgan photos in the Mallory photos I'd love to see them.
Sincere Thanks
Jake

#63 pete53

pete53

• 370 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:35

Pete,
Thanks for the programme. Since you ask, if you have any programmes that identify and date the other Morgan photos in the Mallory photos I'd love to see them.
Sincere Thanks
Jake

Unfortunately I don't think I have any other Mallory programmes from that era but I will check and let you know if I come up with anything.
Pete

#64 CaptainChaos

CaptainChaos

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:01

The very first race meeting I was taken to as a young teenager was at Mallory Park as we lived quite close by. it would have been mid 1960's and what I remember was being amazed at the antics of the minis in the saloon race, the smell (Castrol R?) and a very beautiful Lola T70 driven I think by Norman Surtees in either a GT race or Libre race.
A few years later when I was able to drive myself I have great memories of the Formula 3 internationals with huge fields and again the Libre races which were great fun at Mallory with the likes of Willie Green, Chris Meek, Martin Shardlow and many others in all sorts of (to us) exotic machinery. Anyone else remember these Libre races, usualyy final race of the meeting?

#65 pete53

pete53

• 370 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 16:09

The very first race meeting I was taken to as a young teenager was at Mallory Park as we lived quite close by. it would have been mid 1960's and what I remember was being amazed at the antics of the minis in the saloon race, the smell (Castrol R?) and a very beautiful Lola T70 driven I think by Norman Surtees in either a GT race or Libre race.
A few years later when I was able to drive myself I have great memories of the Formula 3 internationals with huge fields and again the Libre races which were great fun at Mallory with the likes of Willie Green, Chris Meek, Martin Shardlow and many others in all sorts of (to us) exotic machinery. Anyone else remember these Libre races, usualyy final race of the meeting?

Mallory was big on Formula Libre in the 1960s with the Bob Gerard Championship. I don't think they were always the last race on the programme though - that tended to be Snetterton. I have some footage of racing at Mallory in the 60s courtesy of the series of Motor Racing in the Sixties videos that were released in the 1980s. The chicane on the short circuit always looked very hairy Two or three drivers come to grief at this spot in the aforementioned videos.

#66 Macca

Macca

• 3,348 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:14

What an entry for a GT race - current and future F1 drivers............and Stirling Moss' secretary!

Paul M

#67 nicanary

nicanary

• 456 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:55

The entry by Surbiton Motors of an Elan to be driven by "L.G.Arnold" - surely that wouldn't be Graham Arnold? Would he fit into an Elan?

#68 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,116 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:19

Having a special interest in Marcos GTs (I own one where the early history is unknown so far) I notice that in addition to Raymanond Nash, there was another Marcos GT entered, this one by Team Fife and driven by T. D. Simpson. First time I hear about team as well as driver, so I wonder if someone out there know more about them and.

/Lars-Göran

As Fife is in Scotland, is this a Scottish driver making a rare trip south of the border? Hence your lack of familiarity.