Photo

F1 Racing magazine - on the decline or is it just me?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 18:31

I've bought and still have every issue since it started in 1996 but with each new issue I find less and less worth reading. I can't decide if my interest is waning slightly in the sport (though I still watch avidly) or whether the magazine is going downhill. The news sections seem almost pointless due to the internet and most of the features seem like rehashes I've seen before. The big interview with Maurice Hamilton is about the only highlight for me these days, but against that we have people like the hopeless Andrew Benson and the tarnished Pat Symonds writing articles.

Is it me?

Advertisement

#2 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,799 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:06

All the magazines are going trough a tough time. Maybe in a long term most of them will just disappear. A tablet version must be prepared.

#3 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:09

I just cancelled my Dutch F1 magazine (Formule 1). It was a bit pointless for me. The interviews where (with all due respect) only with small-names, such as Charles Pic in the last issue - and the interview is just filled with dull and boring questions. "What do you hope to achieve?" - and then you get a boring answer.

Indeed the news items are pointless - and also the race report. If they'd make a true deep analysis, I'd actually read it.
The columns where forces as well - last years they gave me the impression of like 'well, I have to write something???'

What's left?
The tech-bits in the magazine are what I liked, and the historic bits. But not enough to continue paying 70 euro a year.

(yeah I'm a bit grumpy now :D )

#4 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 947 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:22

I stopped regularly buying it (late '90's) when I realised that the seemed to have a feature on Ferrari every issue. I swear sometimes they did it just because they couldn't think of anything else to put in.

#5 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:33

I stopped regularly buying it (late '90's) when I realised that the seemed to have a feature on Ferrari every issue. I swear sometimes they did it just because they couldn't think of anything else to put in.

Or sponsored perhaps?

#6 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:43

Why pay for old news when you can get it for
Free on the day

#7 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 19:48

i get racecar engineering, thats pretty decent