* * * * - 15 votes

2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#1301 doombug11

doombug11

• 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 23:47

Are ESPN involved in broadcasting motorcycling or other sports that are shown Eurosport ? I see football, rugby etc, but nothing else on their website

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/home/

In fact, a quick check on Wiki shows no connection whatever

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Eurosport

They had WRC coverage before all that chaos at the beginning of last season when the promoter went bankrupt or something, and WRC coverage on British TV has been sporadic ever since. They also had DTM for a while and I believe that Superleague Formula series.

I think they were trying to give motorsports a go, as it does fit with their 'extreme' sports image, though it's pretty much all vanished from their schedules now.

Edit: In regards to Motorcycles I've only ever come across Freestyle Motocross on ESPN, but no racing.

Edited by doombug11, 30 April 2013 - 00:22.

Advertisement

#1302 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,461 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:17

I believe BT recently brought out ESPN UK and all of its channels and broadcast rights, and will be repackaging it all into their own group of Sport Channels launching in the summer before the new football season.

It would very sad to see it leave British Eurosport, I just hope BT use their brains and recruit the same commentary team, my favourite of any racing series on British TV. I do wonder if this is true if it is for exclusive rights or not? While BBC coverage is a bit thin it is still great to have the Motogp race on terrestrial tele, I hope they continue doing so.

Thanks. Is it going to be a subscription channel like Sky Sports do you know?

#1303 doombug11

doombug11

• 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:49

Thanks. Is it going to be a subscription channel like Sky Sports do you know?

Its mainly subscription, for ESPN I think its like £5 a month on Sky, BT Vision and Freeview. I currently get ESPN as part of my Virgin Media cable subscription, you get it for free if you get the xl pack. Though I fear I'm going to lose that when BT take over as they of course own their own TV service ): So I suspect it will be cheaper on BT vision or part of one of their channel packages, then on all over platforms a monthly subscription channel.

BT appear to be a having a good old crack at taking on Sky. I despise the Murdoch empire and aim to avoid giving them a single penny, (Though for some reason I have a free supscription to sky sports on my phone contract?! However the quality is pretty dreadful and unwatchable!) I really hope BT succeed where Setanta and ESPN failed, and offer up a proper alternative to Sky.

#1304 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,018 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:30

I love how the BBC commentator's keep repeating how good a job smith has been doing, every race, despite being 2 secs a lap off crutchlow's pace.

It's like they think if they say it enough, it will become fact.

#1305 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:07

If he were on a CRT I'd agree with them, definitely.

#1306 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:18

Not everybody can be the new Marquez/Lorenzo/Stoner. Judging him after only 2 races (including one new track) is a bit harsh imo.

#1307 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,162 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:48

Not everybody can be the new Marquez/Lorenzo/Stoner. Judging him after only 2 races (including one new track) is a bit harsh imo.

Thing is, he was ok in 125 on the best bike, everyone said wait till moto 2 and the bigger bike he will clean up. Granted, not the best bike and he was OK on the Tech 3. Now he has a plum seat at Yamaha in MotoGP and a 2 year contract and really, I am more impressed with what Ianone is doing, another rookie. What pisses me off is that at the end of the year Cal is probably going to be looking for another ride (he is the only Yamaha out of contract in 2014) because Yamaha probably has to make space for Pol. That is just not right, they should be hanging on to Cal not a rider who has failed to excel in any class.

#1308 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:28

Puig reacts to Schwantz' criticism

#1309 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,876 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:40

Didn't really follow his history, but is Bradley Smith a protegé of Tech 3 or something? Surely they would have kept Dovizioso on board if they could have?

#1310 doombug11

doombug11

• 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:07

Didn't really follow his history, but is Bradley Smith a protegé of Tech 3 or something? Surely they would have kept Dovizioso on board if they could have?

He was first a Honda then a Aspar rider in 125's, then moved to Tech3 in Moto2 in 2011. So this would be his third season with the team, and I believe it was also planned back in 2011 that he would move up to Motogp this year. Must of saw real potential in him for the big bikes!

- If I recall Dovi was mighty cheesed off at being passed up for Rossi at Yamaha, and wanted full backing even if its meant going to Ducati. Don't think he was ever staying at Tech3 unless he had no other routes left, kinda like whats happened to Cal.

Edited by doombug11, 30 April 2013 - 12:14.

#1311 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 21:47

First it was James Toseland, now the Espargaro brothers want to be pop stars too...

#1312 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,879 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 22:02

Thing is, he was ok in 125 on the best bike, everyone said wait till moto 2 and the bigger bike he will clean up. Granted, not the best bike and he was OK on the Tech 3. Now he has a plum seat at Yamaha in MotoGP and a 2 year contract and really, I am more impressed with what Ianone is doing, another rookie. What pisses me off is that at the end of the year Cal is probably going to be looking for another ride (he is the only Yamaha out of contract in 2014) because Yamaha probably has to make space for Pol. That is just not right, they should be hanging on to Cal not a rider who has failed to excel in any class.

Fun fact: Crutchlow was outscored by over 100 points in his debut year in MotoGP.

Rubbishing Smith after two grand prix while lamenting the loss of a rider who also took time to get up to speed is just silly.

#1313 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,354 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 23:32

Cal desperately tried to get on a factory bike this year, and when his only chance was to get on the Duke, I was happy that he decided not to take it. The Yamaha is a much better bike and it's his only option unless a seat at Repsol or Yamaha (factory) gets vacated. If Herve doesn't offer him a new contract for next year then his the biggest idiot in a while. Cal is delivering fantastic performances so far this year.

#1314 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:22

Herve already has a contract with Smith, that's the part that makes him an idiot. Signing Cal is up to Yamaha, it's their seat.

#1315 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 605 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:34

Puig reacts to Schwantz' criticism

Mudslinging is never cool. Kevin should really focus on his own problems. Although I'm not a Puig fan at all.

DP is feeling the heat. Big time.

#1316 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,018 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:12

First it was James Toseland, now the Espargaro brothers want to be pop stars too...

dafuq did I just watch :rotfl:

#1317 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55

Interesting team at the Suzuka 8hrs

Posted Image

#1318 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 14:52

I thought it was April Fools again when I saw that.

#1319 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 15:35

And there's a rumour going around that Yamaha could enter a team with Rossi and Crutchlow.

Advertisement

#1320 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 15:39

If Puig was on the team as well then, yeah. Schwantz has said it's legit though, he's looking forward to it and thinks they've got a good shot at winning.

#1321 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:38

Yeah, what's Schwantz doing alongside those two has-beens?

#1322 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,494 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:15

If Puig was on the team as well then, yeah. Schwantz has said it's legit though, he's looking forward to it and thinks they've got a good shot at winning.

He announced it after the U.S. Moto GP round, at the Gypsy Lounge watch party I attended in Austin. It's legit.

#1323 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:19

Fun fact: Crutchlow was outscored by over 100 points in his debut year in MotoGP.

Rubbishing Smith after two grand prix while lamenting the loss of a rider who also took time to get up to speed is just silly.

Real Facts 2011
Cal finished 12th on 70 points 5 retirement 1 non start
Colin finished 9th on 109 points 1 retirement 1 non start and 1 race missed
In his first race Cal out qualified his team mate. in the following 2 races he qualified one place behind Colin by a tenth, in the 4th race he outqualified him by a quarter of a second.
Smith was 1.5 seconds slower in his first race
In the last race he qualified 2.5 secs behind Cal

Clearly "over 100 points" is simply not true, nor is the claim that Cal took time to get up to speed

I am very surprised at the number of people who still think Smith is doing OK, in all the testing and both races he has looked at sea. I for one expected a lot more from him

#1324 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,162 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:32

2014 SUZUKI MOTOGP PROTOTYPES SPIED AGAIN!

http://www.cycleworl...in/?src=twitter

#1325 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:55

I am very surprised at the number of people who still think Smith is doing OK, in all the testing and both races he has looked at sea. I for one expected a lot more from him

Let's look at Qatar, a track Smith knows. In 2011 Crutchlow qualified 1.4 seconds off pole. In 2013 Smith qualified 1.6 seconds off pole. Similar. I think Austin was a blip for a number of reasons. I think he was overly cautious after his Qatar crash. Tech 3 were on the back foot having lost a lot of equipment following their pit fire and an experienced rider is always going to cope better with that than a rookie. The circuit has very low grip, which doesn't help when trying to learn how the Bridgestone tyres work.

People will say, "Well, Marc Marquez is managing OK." I'm not using Marquez as a benchmark. Marquez is exceptionally gifted. 99% of all riders aren't as good as Marquez. Ignore Marquez for now. I don't think we have enough data to be able to start coming up with definitive conclusions about Smith yet. I want to see at least six races first. I suspect that he'll pick up a bit now that we're starting a string of six tracks that he knows very well, including two he's won on.

#1326 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:18

Just confirmed by the Eurosport producer Charlie Hiscott on Twitter - BT Sport are getting the UK MotoGP rights, both BBC and Eurosport are losing theirs.

#1327 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:23

Sucks for all you Eurosport fans.

#1328 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:26

Are we losing the delay motogp coverage too.

#1329 Kelly391

Kelly391

• 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27

Hello - Just wondered if anyone on here can offer any advice? I am planning on taking my son to WSBK at Donington at the end of the month. I haven't been to Donington for years (despite only living 15 minutes away!!).

We went to MotoGP last year and we got there at 7am to ensure we got somewhere to sit where we could see. Any ideas on how early I will need to get to Donington? I don't know if the crowds are the same size? I am planning on sitting around the Redgate area, as I know you can see quite a lot from there.

Also - I looked on the WSBK website to see if there was a schedule of races and it only states WSBK and Supersport. I assume there are other races planned during the day i.e, Superstock 1000 etc?

Sorry for all the dim questions - hope someone can help!!

Thank you.

#1330 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:37

Did a quick research BT sports seem to be buying rights for a lot of sports programming,they bought content from Espn,they are spending a lot of money,I wonder who is behind BT sports.

#1331 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:48

Also - I looked on the WSBK website to see if there was a schedule of races and it only states WSBK and Supersport. I assume there are other races planned during the day i.e, Superstock 1000 etc?

I don't think Superstock 1000 will be there at Donington but I'm sure you'll have plenty of support races. The Ducati 848 Challenge and British F1 sidecars should be there from what I can tell. Probably some others too.

#1332 Kelly391

Kelly391

• 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:01

I don't think Superstock 1000 will be there at Donington but I'm sure you'll have plenty of support races. The Ducati 848 Challenge and British F1 sidecars should be there from what I can tell. Probably some others too.

Thank you - I will look forward to seeing the sidecars!

#1333 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,882 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:57

WSBK draws nowhere near the same crowd than MotoGP, so no need to get there 4 hours before the race. I don't know how bad is the traffic to enter Donington, but I go to the Magny Cours event every year and have really no problem arriving at 9.30-10.00 to watch the end of the warmup and the STK1000 race anywhere I want on the track, and change spot between each race. Don't get me wrong it's not a desert either, there is a pretty big crowd, but it's not overcrowded (like it used to be for F1 for example).

I believe STK1000 and STK600 don't go to Donington because the paddock's too small.

#1334 Kelly391

Kelly391

• 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:12

WSBK draws nowhere near the same crowd than MotoGP, so no need to get there 4 hours before the race. I don't know how bad is the traffic to enter Donington, but I go to the Magny Cours event every year and have really no problem arriving at 9.30-10.00 to watch the end of the warmup and the STK1000 race anywhere I want on the track, and change spot between each race. Don't get me wrong it's not a desert either, there is a pretty big crowd, but it's not overcrowded (like it used to be for F1 for example).

I believe STK1000 and STK600 don't go to Donington because the paddock's too small.

Thank you - that's great. At least I know I haven't got to get up at the crack of dawn!

#1335 DS27

DS27

• 1,053 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:16

Just confirmed by the Eurosport producer Charlie Hiscott on Twitter - BT Sport are getting the UK MotoGP rights, both BBC and Eurosport are losing theirs.

I have had a cr*p week, but that's the worst news by far.

#1336 Yendor

Yendor

• 508 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:37

I have had a cr*p week, but that's the worst news by far.

Well as I can't afford Sky, there really doesn't seem much point in owning a TV anymore :)

#1337 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 484 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:16

WT* :evil: I just added Eurosport channel last month... I hope they still have the MotoGP right for this year?

#1338 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:34

WT* :evil: I just added Eurosport channel last month... I hope they still have the MotoGP right for this year?

Yup, but it'll be the last year they have it... :mad:

#1339 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:34

No more pinky and perky 'developing theories'?

What a shame.

Advertisement

#1340 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 23:31

Rossi's my pick for the win this weekend, Jerez is one of his best tracks. I think the Yamaha's handling will give them the edge over Honda.

#1341 ehagar

ehagar

• 6,233 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:19

I wonder what event draws a bigger crowd at Donington... BSB or WSBK?

I was there for the BSB race last year and Race day (Sunday) was a bit of a pain but considering the crowd wasn't that bad. They blocked the traffic flow heading west towards Melbourne, but it allowed for one way traffic to head towards the M1. I thought it was pretty efficient.

#1342 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:57

Let's look at Qatar, a track Smith knows. In 2011 Crutchlow qualified 1.4 seconds off pole. In 2013 Smith qualified 1.6 seconds off pole. Similar.

Selective statistics.

Honda were dominant in 2011. Both Stoner and Pedrosa were more than half a second clear of the next Yamaha(Lorenzo himself 8 tenths off pole).

A more useful comparison would be the mere .6 gap Crutchlow had to Lorenzo. He was also ahead of his teammate already.

This apologetic attitude towards Smith is becoming ridiculous. He's been terrible so far.

Edited by Seanspeed, 03 May 2013 - 06:00.

#1343 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:34

Hello - Just wondered if anyone on here can offer any advice? I am planning on taking my son to WSBK at Donington at the end of the month. I haven't been to Donington for years (despite only living 15 minutes away!!).

We went to MotoGP last year and we got there at 7am to ensure we got somewhere to sit where we could see. Any ideas on how early I will need to get to Donington? I don't know if the crowds are the same size? I am planning on sitting around the Redgate area, as I know you can see quite a lot from there.

Consider walking, if possible, would be infinitely easier, particularly when trying to get out although I don't recall any real problems last year, the BTCC was much busier. Or if driving, best way to avoid queues at the exit is to leave at the beginning the last support race - the casual crowds usually flock out after the second SBK race and the hardcore fans/marshalls leave at the end of the last race.

Regate is okay, but the banking near the Craner Curves, inside or out, means no debris fencing in your way and generally more space.

#1344 Kelly391

Kelly391

• 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:54

Consider walking, if possible, would be infinitely easier, particularly when trying to get out although I don't recall any real problems last year, the BTCC was much busier. Or if driving, best way to avoid queues at the exit is to leave at the beginning the last support race - the casual crowds usually flock out after the second SBK race and the hardcore fans/marshalls leave at the end of the last race.

Regate is okay, but the banking near the Craner Curves, inside or out, means no debris fencing in your way and generally more space.

Thanks - that's great. Although I only live about 15 minutes away by car - it's not really near enough to walk as we go through all the country lanes.

We sat at the Craner Curves when we went to see the MotoGP a few years ago - it was an amazing sight watching the bikes come down there. Especially Marco Simoncelli on his 250!

I was thinking Redgate as my son likes to see the grid and the first corner. Perhaps we will start there and then have a walk round later.

#1345 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 759 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:55

They had best shift these soon before they lose SBK and BSB too!

http://instagram.com/p/X-isk3R9XD/#

#1346 sesku

sesku

• 282 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:49

Remember Hafizh Syahrin, the Malaysian Moto2 wildcard rider. Apparently, he will be racing at Le Mans as a Moto2 wildcard.

http://www.petmos.co...-In-Lemans.aspx

#1347 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 654 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49

Remember Hafizh Syahrin, the Malaysian Moto2 wildcard rider. Apparently, he will be racing at Le Mans as a Moto2 wildcard.

http://www.petmos.co...-In-Lemans.aspx

Well it's about time he's given the chance.

#1348 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 13:02

Lorenzo fastest. Top 5 pretty close. Crutchlow :up:

#1349 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 13:10

Jorges weekend to lose I guess.

#1350 sushantf1

sushantf1