• 10,077 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:04

Marquez' crash caught by a security cam. http://vine.co/v/bYxPmTKUlFr

Advertisement

#1802 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:10

User called DORNA .. they couldn't be satisfied with getting rid of MotoGP off Eurosport they had to do this too :lol:

From reading Toby's piece about how good BT will be over a weekend does that mean Toby will be off there? Problem is I will not be following him. I already took out an F1 pass for Sky to watch Formula1 and I don't have any BT broadband so I am rather reluctant to shell out again for MotoGP. Toby can say it gives 20 hours per weekend but as a working man I tend to miss Friday and then Saturday it is family things and I squeeze qualy in and then if I am lucky the whole races from 10 till 3 on Sunday. Then next weekend it is F1, so i cannot spend too much time just sat there watching things going around tracks or else I will not have a wife :p. So I like it free and I can try my best. I think BT will suffer because of this. Lose all the semi avid fans.

Is Cal a latter day Carl Fogarty? I like the chap but his mouth seems to be sometimes the same as Carl's, too much blabber. Makes me wonder if he has problems getting a seat over that. Shame as he is really cranking it on, I can see him doing a lot better on the Honda than Bradl.

With the bikes as they are with Yamaha in top spots after FP2 and MM crashing and it being Italy I can see this possibly being the best race of the year so far. Hayden on the Duc is fast, Dovi is Italian and not so far shined, but he may well do. Looking forward to it.

Espagaro into MotoGP? Scott please, and another serving of Scott. Preferably on something Honda driven. I've been saying it for 3 years. Now they got rid of that weight penalty he is benefiting.
Redding can "bully" a motorcycle and has the right fighter attitude. Something Bradley Smith has neither of in my opinion.

Andy

Agree with all of the above. I too have to avoid overdoing the racing on the telly!!

I think with Cal, you can take the kid out of Coventry, but you can't take Coventry out of the kid.  ;)

#1803 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:22

Security camera catches Marquez's crash

http://vine.co/v/bYxPmTKUlFr

So he lost control of the bike under braking, went off track and had to jump off to the bike to avoid the wall? That could have been so much worse...

#1804 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:30

so i cannot spend too much time just sat there watching things going around tracks or else I will not have a wife :

Same here, wife and two young kids. Sky gave me the perfect excuse to stop watching F1 altogether, now it's BT and MotoGP. Oh well, it'll make my life a bit easier, so I'll have to thank them for that. Paying extra for this kind of thing is against my religion.

#1805 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 19:45

Some of Marquez crash plus Bradley's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...motogp/22733560

UK only I think.

#1806 pRy

pRy

• 11,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 19:51

Gave me the chills watching that. The secondary wall just behind the first one in particular was not nice to think about had he gone over. Lucky guy.

Onboard here:

#1807 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 19:57

Holy hell...

#1808 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 20:51

Fortunate to escape his first big rookie crash with all ligaments and bones intact.

#1809 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 21:15

Lucky boy,scary watching that ,it could have been worse.

#1810 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 383 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 22:08

It would be nice if they could get their stories straight over something life broken bones.
BSN is also under the impression there are no breaks http://www.bikesport...amp;newsid=9441

"@matt77roberts: just spoke to Brad he has a small fracture in his scaphoid and nasty abrasion on finger that requires skin graft but hoping to ride tomorrow"

I broke my scaphoid once in my left hand. I was in a cast up to my bicep for 1.5 months, and then a shorter cast up my forearm for another 1.5 months. They don't even want you to bend your elbow because it moves and aggravates the muscles and tendons all the way down your arm to your hand. Can't imagine holding onto a motogp bike, his wrist is going to be the size of a baseball tomorrow.

#1811 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:11

Fortunate to escape his first big rookie crash with all ligaments and bones intact.

I think the practice crash in Austin was the first, that was a pretty decent sized hit he took there.

#1812 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:44

I assume that Andrea Locatelli is related to Roberto? Kid looks quick so far.

#1813 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:45

I think with Cal, you can take the kid out of Coventry, but you can't take Coventry out of the kid. ;)

I don't understand why people are dumping in Cal. He produces the results and Yamaha want to reward him by signing Espagaro? Personally, I respect his blunt and definitely un-PC reply. He's made it clear he won't tolerate being treated badly, and I think the Japanese will respect his stance. Yes, it's un-PC and in your face, but sometimes that is what is needed, as it shows he has belief in himself.
If, as many on here think, it's simply a question of sponsor money, then I feel Lin Javis should say that openly, otherwise it is a slap in the face of a guy who has worked his butt off to get where he is.
If Yamaha let him go, I think they will regret their decision as he will be snapped up by one of the other works teams. He is the only satelite rider capable of running with the works boys, so he must be a very attractive proposition for any top team looking for a top rider in MGP.

#1814 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:43

3rd crash for Marquez in this morning's session and he did not "qualify" for the second part of qualifying.

#1815 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,235 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:10

I don't understand why people are dumping in Cal. He produces the results and Yamaha want to reward him by signing Espagaro? Personally, I respect his blunt and definitely un-PC reply. He's made it clear he won't tolerate being treated badly, and I think the Japanese will respect his stance. Yes, it's un-PC and in your face, but sometimes that is what is needed, as it shows he has belief in himself.
If, as many on here think, it's simply a question of sponsor money, then I feel Lin Javis should say that openly, otherwise it is a slap in the face of a guy who has worked his butt off to get where he is.
If Yamaha let him go, I think they will regret their decision as he will be snapped up by one of the other works teams. He is the only satellite rider capable of running with the works boys, so he must be a very attractive proposition for any top team looking for a top rider in MGP.

I agree with your comments regarding Cal Crutchlow, I'm glad he speaks out and stands up for what he believes. Yes it comes across as brash and in your face but as far as I'm concerned we need more of this attitude.

#1816 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:17

If Yamaha let him go, I think they will regret their decision as he will be snapped up by one of the other works teams. He is the only satelite rider capable of running with the works boys, so he must be a very attractive proposition for any top team looking for a top rider in MGP.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cal's outspoken attitude too, but IF that ultimately costs him a seat on a decent motorcycle, then he's made a mistake. Note, that's a fairly big "if".

If (smaller this time) it's a question of sponsor money then god help him next season when the GPs are on BT.

#1817 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:35

I agree, he is being treated shamefully, if as it seems, they sign Espagaro. I mean, MotoGP really needs another Spaniard on a top bike.....

I honestly despair - it's a World Championship, not the Spanish series. :down:

#1818 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:39

Why does it matter where they're from?

#1819 DKMoto

DKMoto

• 193 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:42

lol at Crashlow. the Grosjean of MotoGP

Advertisement

#1820 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:45

Crutchlow bins it....again. This is getting silly

#1821 Nigol

Nigol

• 1,420 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:52

Great qualifying !

#1822 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,235 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:53

woah Pedrosa !

Crutchlow first of the satellites again

#1823 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:54

I had a feeling Lorenzo would be pipped by one of the Repsols, well done dani! Marc to blast through the fiel to P2 tomorrow hopefully :)

#1824 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:55

Pedrosa dit it! Good for him.

Impressive Marc.

#1825 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59

I had a feeling Lorenzo would be pipped by one of the Repsols, well done dani! Marc to blast through the fiel to P2 tomorrow hopefully :)

Good feeling today. Hope you are right about Marc tomorrow! :D

#1826 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 13:13

Don't think much of Marquez's Biaggi impression, beard's the wrong colour.

#1827 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 13:26

Surely Rossi can't still be positive?

#1828 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,235 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 13:58

Well done Scott Redding! looking very solid

#1829 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 14:12

Well done Scott Redding! looking very solid

Very impressive considering he crashed out right at the beginning of FP3 on a bike with a radically changed setup because they were off the pace and went into qualifying on an untested rebuilt bike.

#1830 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 14:23

And Pol Espargaro continues to disapoint this year. Cal must be smiling :kiss:

#1831 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 14:30

Surely Rossi can't still be positive?

I was confident he would lose to Lorenzo, but this is surprising... early days yet, but why is he struggling with the bike so much? It's a very good bike, as he stated even in the preseason.

Perhaps, it's Lorenzo's bike (yeah :rolleyes: ), but Lorenzo was immediately faster than Rossi on Rossi's bike as a rookie. I recall Jorge saying in an interview that one of the managers (some Japanese guy) told him early on when he first signed, you can't ride this bike they way you want to, you must ride it how it likes to be ridden. Rossi admits he's struggling to make the adjutments you expect a top rider to make... adjustments that every rookie most likely has to make.

Anyway, it's gotta be tough, because according to him, his pace on used tyres is fine, and even on new tyres running at race pace, he's fine. For some reason when it's time to push 100% on new tyres, the bike can't cope with the extra grip. I hope they figure it out. It was very exciting to watch hime scything (sp?) through the field in Qatar, where he (somehow) managed to get Lorenzo's bike to work for him.

#1832 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 14:47

And Pol Espargaro continues to disapoint this year. Cal must be smiling :kiss:

How has Pol Espargaro got so much sponsorship/ backing compared to Cal? Is he from a particularly affluent family :confused:

#1833 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 15:08

Yep, Pol really showing he deserves to take Cal's ride...

So impressive from Scott - love the way he just gets on with putting in his qually laps while half the field is messing around bunching up, tagging on and generally getting in other riders way. I think they need to clamp down on it before there's a big accident as a result.

As an added bonus for Scott going to moto GP, his girlfriend is suitably hot.

Rossi getting used to being out qualified by a Ducati - and Dovi never was a qualifier, so if he's on the front row, I can't but help wonder what Stoner could be doing.

Edited by DS27, 01 June 2013 - 15:13.

#1834 Risil

Risil

• 14,455 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 15:19

Perhaps, it's Lorenzo's bike (yeah :rolleyes: ), but Lorenzo was immediately faster than Rossi on Rossi's bike as a rookie. I recall Jorge saying in an interview that one of the managers (some Japanese guy) told him early on when he first signed, you can't ride this bike they way you want to, you must ride it how it likes to be ridden. Rossi admits he's struggling to make the adjutments you expect a top rider to make... adjustments that every rookie most likely has to make.

That's the difference between being 33 and 23, no?

#1835 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 15:26

How has Pol Espargaro got so much sponsorship/ backing compared to Cal? Is he from a particularly affluent family :confused:

There's no sponsor/family/passport conspiracy, the boy is young and by the looks of last season (he was the only one able to beat Marquez), very promising, it's only normal that Yamaha are interested in him, they'd be stupid if they were not.

#1836 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:03

In any case, between being 34 and 26... 2 years make a difference.  ;)

#1837 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:11

There's no sponsor/family/passport conspiracy, the boy is young and by the looks of last season (he was the only one able to beat Marquez), very promising, it's only normal that Yamaha are interested in him, they'd be stupid if they were not.

I'm not sure who is backing the Espargaró Bros but for sure, there must be some important people behind them because if you take a look at their achievements, they are not that impressive.

And about Pol's age, he's still young but not a kid, he'll turn 22 in a few days.

#1838 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:29

Don't think much of Marquez's Biaggi impression, beard's the wrong colour.

Who made that comparison.

#1839 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:30

People are dumping in Cal because, all that being true, he did something against his own interests, and that's stupid. He needs to let his results speak for him, he hasn't done enough to earn a (top) factory bike yet. Espargaro was the best Moto2 rider last year other than Marquez, so there's obvioulsy some interest on him. This is a competition ruled by corporations, so you have to play the game by their rules or accept the consequences. I really wish it wasn't that way, but sadly that's the way this world is going.

Advertisement

#1840 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 17:20

Who made that comparison.

Er, me. :cool:

#1841 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,909 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 17:26

Amazing lap by Pedrosa, didn't expect that at all as it looked a certainty that Lorenzo would be on pole position.

#1842 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 17:34

Sounds like a certain MS thread!

#1843 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 18:06

People are dumping in Cal because, all that being true, he did something against his own interests, and that's stupid. He needs to let his results speak for him, he hasn't done enough to earn a (top) factory bike yet. Espargaro was the best Moto2 rider last year other than Marquez, so there's obvioulsy some interest on him. This is a competition ruled by corporations, so you have to play the game by their rules or accept the consequences. I really wish it wasn't that way, but sadly that's the way this world is going.

Actually, what he is doing is very similar to the stance Dovi took last year, and look where he is today. He made the right choice and moved to a works team who are on their way back from the Rossi disaster.
As for letting results speak, I disagree with you when you say he hasn't displayed the sort of form deserving of a top works ride. Today he out qualified both #2's in both top works teams. What more is he supposeed to do to convince the factories he would be a real threat on a full works bike?
The fact remains, Cal has a great hand of cards and he would he foolish to throw his hand away in the hope he might appease Yamaha by being subservient. He's a winner with character, my sort of guy.

#1844 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 22:04

Actually, what he is doing is very similar to the stance Dovi took last year, and look where he is today. He made the right choice and moved to a works team who are on their way back from the Rossi disaster.
As for letting results speak, I disagree with you when you say he hasn't displayed the sort of form deserving of a top works ride. Today he out qualified both #2's in both top works teams. What more is he supposeed to do to convince the factories he would be a real threat on a full works bike?
The fact remains, Cal has a great hand of cards and he would he foolish to throw his hand away in the hope he might appease Yamaha by being subservient. He's a winner with character, my sort of guy.

For Dovi it was either no chance to win anything on a satellite or take the Ducati gamble. He had zero chance to get a Yamaha or Honda factory ride, so it was a pretty obvious decision to make IMO. But Cal now might have a shot at a factory Yamaha when Rossi retires, maybe even next year. Valentino may retire if he feels he's no longer competitive for whatever reason. That's Cal's best chance to win anything. So he needs to stay calm, stop crashing, continue his progression and wait for his chance to snatch a top bike. Let's not forget that at the moment there are 4 riders with 18 world championships between them on the top bikes.

"Character" for me is something else, the mental strength required to do things you don't really want to do but you know you have to, not just temper. Speaking your mind like that is just weak and childish.

#1845 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 00:15

Does that imply that he's incapable of making the adjustment or that he's stubborn? I think it's all down to setup, and the Rossi-Burgess super team is as dumbfounded as they were at Ducati, except this is a really, really good bike.

Or perhaps they should concentrate on fine-tuning the traction control. According to the more knowlegeable folks here, the current bikes ride themselves because of all the electronics and everybody out there except Rossi (because he is a 2x500cc champion) is a frickin sissy.

#1846 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 00:17

Sounds like a certain MS thread!

At 41 and 4 years away from the sport, it's a very fair POV>

#1847 fer312t

fer312t

• 817 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:12

I'm not sure who is backing the Espargaró Bros but for sure, there must be some important people behind them because if you take a look at their achievements, they are not that impressive.

And about Pol's age, he's still young but not a kid, he'll turn 22 in a few days.

I don't know how you could not be impressed with both Espargaros really... More often than not Aleix is crushing the CRT competition and making inroads up into the prototype grid...

#1848 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,235 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:02

Well done Scott Redding! Love the way you ride that motorbike!

#1849 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:18

Scott has to get a ride in the big class next year, surely?!? I know there's a long way to go but he's doing a great job at the moment.

#1850 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:29

Fantastic, faultless ride from Scott today. Great stuff.