* * * * - 15 votes

2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#151 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,473 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:42

Ducati and BMW look in bad shape since switching to the 17 inches tires, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2013 title is decided between Laverty, Guintoli and Sykes.

I hope not. It was nice seeing pretty much every bike on the grid competitive last year.

Advertisement

#152 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:25

Jakub Smrz and Mark Aitchison will ride for Splitlaith-Redmond Aprilia in BSB.

Smrz seemed to be going fairly quickly on it this year. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a full programme this year.

For their sakes let's hope some WSBK type performance rubs off onto the Splitlath bikes, cos they're off the pace normally in BSB.

#153 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,883 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 16:14

Shaun Muir will have 2 Yamaha for James Ellison and Josh Waters in next year BSB.

Posted Image

Edited by GSiebert, 01 December 2012 - 16:16.

#154 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:09

Damn it, another red and white bike?

Srsly though, good news. Interested to see how JW gets on over here. :up:

#155 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:16

Any rumor about Nitro Nori?

Jakub Smrz and Mark Aitchison will ride for Splitlaith-Redmond Aprilia in BSB.

Smrz seemed to be going fairly quickly on it this year. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a full programme this year.

I would be happier if both of these two run in WSB.

Shaun Muir will have 2 Yamaha for James Ellison and Josh Waters in next year BSB.

Posted Image

Nice one...

#156 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:02

William Dunlop will be riding for Shaun Muir in BSS and at the Road Race Internationals as well.

Edited by Jambo, 01 December 2012 - 20:02.

#157 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,947 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:19

I was thinking here with myself,Casey Stoner has a thread ?

If not we need one in case he doesn't stop racing.

#158 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 22:07

Pleased to see that Shaun Muir is continuing in 2013 and particularly pleased that James Ellison is one of the riders.

#159 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 23:01

I was thinking here with myself,Casey Stoner has a thread ?

If not we need one in case he doesn't stop racing.

hmm would need to be a forum about fishing rather than motorsports. (OT but I've seen him on a fishing show and he looked like a medium sized wet rat :lol: )

Will be interesting to see him in V8 supercars in maybe 2014? It's probably not going to go well for him competitive wise AND blood pressure wise. His twitter remark a few weeks ago aimed at one of the drivers was just piss weak and setting himself up for when he inevitably does something 8000 times worse.

Advertisement

#160 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:21

Posted Image

It's crazy how many outside of the industry sponsors BSB teams are able to pull down. Do they get TV coverage in all of Europe or just the UK?

#161 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:17

Team Suriano signs up Mathew Scholtz for WSS 2013

http://www.worldsbk....r-wss-2013.html

#162 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,883 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:44

It's crazy how many outside of the industry sponsors BSB teams are able to pull down. Do they get TV coverage in all of Europe or just the UK?

Just in the UK I believe, but Eurosport UK's coverage is great, and I guess sponsoring in BSB must be quite cheap.

#163 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:14

Power tools and construction equipment tend to do good business in BSB. Milwaukee, Stihl, Buildbase, until recently HM Plant (I think they're part of the Hitachi group so maybe the Honda connections helped there) and Worx, then there's Tyco who build things like sprinkler systems and burglar alarms for industrial units. Not exactly consumer goods, but I suppose the likes of Shawn Muir and Paul Bird know a lot of businessmen and are quite effective at extracting sponsorship from them. Perhaps bike racing is considered a bit disreputable for most sponsors in the UK, but the construction industry is considered a bit disreputable too.

#164 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:56

And now that Williams Dunlop is on probably the best Yamaha Superbike available for the TT, Michael Dunlop has signed for the Honda Legends team. Should be some year.

McGuinness, Rutter, Michael on Hondas, William on the Yamaha, Guy Martin and Josh Brookes on the Suzuki and Conor Cummins yet to sign. Then we have Anstey and Gary Johnson and others.

#165 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 16:51

Of course, Sepang is usually faster at the tests, Stoner done here 59s if I remember good.

It doesn't seem to be faster for Bautista?

#166 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:04

Just in the UK I believe, but Eurosport UK's coverage is great, and I guess sponsoring in BSB must be quite cheap.

On top of the excellent Eurosport package, ITV4 air a highlights show too.

#167 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:19

And now that Williams Dunlop is on probably the best Yamaha Superbike available for the TT, Michael Dunlop has signed for the Honda Legends team. Should be some year.

If that Yamaha is working well then William ought to break his duck in 2013. He was looking good this year until his bike broke down.

#168 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,065 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35

If that Yamaha is working well then William ought to break his duck in 2013. He was looking good this year until his bike broke down.

I reckon he will be well up for the win on the Supersport bike as that will be the one he is going to be racing on all season. He is getting faster and faster on the Superbike though.

#169 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,268 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:04

I'm not sure the UK distributor of Milwaukee tools would have that kind of money? My whiskers twitch that it's probably like AMA and heavily manufacturer subsidised, with the sponsors paying for the paint cans.

#170 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:29

Laverty: Guintoli 'good choice' by Aprilia

http://www.crash.net...by_aprilia.html

#171 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:04

First wild-cards in 2013:

Team Honda Racing Wildcards at 2013 World Superbike Event

http://us2.campaign-...mp;e=85023baf18

#172 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:38

Dennis Noyes lobs a cut-out-and-keep objection to the MSMA's fuel economy formula in his latest column:

The MSMA have accepted the ECU hardware but not the software, meaning that MSMA works teams will be free to write their own software programs, and that, as far as all the rider aids that Dorna sought to limit or eliminate, nothing important will change.

Factory bikes will give up an additional liter for fuel, reducing their maximum load to 20 liters. This will require a top-end redesign and lots of work for the programmers as they set about to lean the mix and avoid all excesses. Don’t expect to see any burnouts after wins. Wheelies have already gone the way of the plug-chop. And don’t expect to see these bikes sideways and smoking the tire either -- spinning up is wasteful.

Saying that this emphasis on fuel consumption will contribute to a greener planet is marketing talk without much substance since direct injection, useful in the real world, is impossible in MotoGP due to the fuel pressure limits already in place. Work on fuel consumption will be done on engines running freakishly high revs and of little or no relevance to any street engines. (Honda likes the challenge the same way Br'er Rabbit likes the briar patch.)

#173 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:26

Althea are going to run Giugliano on an RSV4.

#174 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,886 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:33

Great news. Giugliano is bundles of fun to watch.

Edited by Disgrace, 03 December 2012 - 18:36.

#175 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:31

Althea are going to run Giugliano on an RSV4.

So:

2013 World Superbike grid thus far:

Aprilia Racing
Eugene Laverty
Sylvain Guintoli

Kawasaki Racing
Tom Sykes
Loris Baz

BMW Italia Motorrad
Marco Melandri
Chaz Davies

PATA Honda
Jonathan Rea
Leon Haslam

Alstare Ducati 1199 Panigale
Carlos Checa
Ayrton Badovini

FIXI Crescent Suzuki
Leon Camier
Jules Cluzel

Red Devils Roma Aprilia
Michel Fabrizio

Althea Aprilia
Davide Giugliano

MR Team Ducati
Max Neukirchner

Grillini BMW
Vittorio Iannuzzo

Pedercini Kawasaki
TBA (Simone Grotzkyj?)
TBA (Leandro Mercado or Alexander Lundh?)

rumors:
Effenbert with McCormick?

All in all it's just 15 confrmed riders + 2 confirmed bikes without confirmed riders. I hope there will be a private/satelite BMW team and more Ducati.

Edited by Tarzaan, 05 December 2012 - 12:26.

#176 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 18:32

Crash are reporting that Michael Laverty is in the frame for the ride

Now confirmed. Bit of a nothing news really.

#177 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:43

Great news. Giugliano is bundles of fun to watch.

Unless you're a fan of whoever he's riding into/lunging/holding up

#178 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,886 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 21:51

Unless you're a fan of whoever he's riding into/lunging/holding up

I don't recall him "riding into" anybody and I can't take "holding up" as a serious complaint.

I'll give you the "lunging" though, his unusual lines led to unusual moves and numerous unusual crashes.

He's only a 23-year-old going into his second season but he has pace. No point in asking what isn't possible.

#179 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:38

I don't recall him "riding into" anybody and I can't take "holding up" as a serious complaint.

I'll give you the "lunging" though, his unusual lines led to unusual moves and numerous unusual crashes.

He's only a 23-year-old going into his second season but he has pace. No point in asking what isn't possible.

The lunging normally caused the holding up though!

He probably will mature though to be fair!

Advertisement

#180 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 23:48

A Eugene Laverty quote from suerbikeplanet
"I know of a rider that requested a ban on data sharing with his teammate last year when he felt he had the upper hand, but then he came back begging once his teammate started beating him again. And before you jump to conclusions, it wasn't inside the Aprilia garage but another factory team."
Well it definitely wasn't Honda, probably not Suzuki or Kawasaki so that leaves Ducati (unlikely in my opinion) and BMW.
Definitely a very Moto GP way of doing things and I'm surprised that BMW (if it was them) would allow it.

#181 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 00:54

Or, if it didn't happen on his team it's hearsay :p

#182 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:20

The only factory rider pairing this year that remotely follows that story is Haslam-Melandri. You get the impression that the ex-British championship riders stick together, so Laverty might know a little about the internals at Team BMW. Not a big deal though. Eugene might even just be slagging off a potential title rival for 2013.

#183 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,919 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:16

I'm not sure the UK distributor of Milwaukee tools would have that kind of money? My whiskers twitch that it's probably like AMA and heavily manufacturer subsidised, with the sponsors paying for the paint cans.

That was once true in the AMA but aside from Yamaha and I suppose KTM you can't really find any manufacturers spending "whatever it takes". Even Yoshimura dropped off considerably once the Rockstar and Makita dollars left town.

#184 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,883 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:24

A Eugene Laverty quote from suerbikeplanet
"I know of a rider that requested a ban on data sharing with his teammate last year when he felt he had the upper hand, but then he came back begging once his teammate started beating him again. And before you jump to conclusions, it wasn't inside the Aprilia garage but another factory team."
Well it definitely wasn't Honda, probably not Suzuki or Kawasaki so that leaves Ducati (unlikely in my opinion) and BMW.
Definitely a very Moto GP way of doing things and I'm surprised that BMW (if it was them) would allow it.

Pretty sure he's talking about Melandri. He was his teammate last year at Yamaha, and Laverty is good friend wiht Haslam, so they probably talked about it.

#185 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,883 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:21

So:

2013 World Superbike grid thus far:

You can add Vittorio Iannuzzo at Grillini BMW.

#186 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:23

+1 rider/team:

SBK: Presentato il team Grillini

http://www.gpone.com...m-Grillini.html

Edit:

You can add Vittorio Iannuzzo at Grillini BMW.

Done:)

I hope they will run an advanced bike than last season, because I read that was mor a stock bike than a real superbike.

Edit2:

Posted Image

Edited by Tarzaan, 05 December 2012 - 12:27.

#187 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:57

Posted Image

That is class!

#188 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 16:51

From crash.net comments:

There could be a couple more privateer BMW's with an Asian-sponsor and run by the Supersonic team. Ivan Clementi and Sylvain Barrier are the rumoured riders.

an other comment:

65 Pata Honda World Superbike Team Jonathan Rea
91 Pata Honda World Superbike Team Leon Haslam
66 Kawasaki Racing Team Tom Sykes
76 Kawasaki Racing Team Loris Baz
5 Pedercini Kawasaki Alexander Lundh
15 Pedercini Kawasaki Simone Grotzkyj
2 Fixi Crescent Suzuki Leon Camier
16 Fixi Crescent Suzuki Jules Cluzel
50 Aprilia Racing Team Sylvain Guintoli
58 Aprilia Racing Team Eugene Laverty
84 Red Devils Roma Aprilia Michel Fabrizio
19 BMW Motorrad GoldBet Chaz Davies
33 BMW Motorrad GoldBet Marco Melandri
31 Grillini BMW Vittorio Iannuzzo
68 Effenbert BMW Brett McCormick
tba Asia BMW Ivan Clementi
20 Asia BMW Sylvain Barrier
34 Althea Aprilia Davide Giugliano
7 Ducati Alstare Carlos Checa
86 Ducati Alstare Ayrton Badovini
77 MR Ducati Max Neukirchner

http://www.crash.net...illini_bmw.html

Edited by Tarzaan, 05 December 2012 - 18:13.

#189 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:37

Another scheduling wrinkle for Dorna. German F1 GP's been brought forward two weeks, and now occupies the same slot as the German motorcycle GP (!). The Sachsenring round takes place a week after Assen, so no leeway there, and two weeks later the GP bikes are off to Laguna Seca. Not an attractive back-to-back.

As far as I can see an Italy-Germany-Catalunya triple-header is the most attractive option, although that does require putting it on the same day as the Canadian F1 GP. It's clearly becoming very very very difficult to avoid TV clashes between an 18-race calendar and a 20-race one.

Edited by Risil, 05 December 2012 - 19:37.

#190 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:13

Funny part is, its the F1 race that struggles for a crowd!

#191 Rob

Rob

• 8,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:33

The second Ioda bike might be occupied by Chris Vermeulen. Apparently Roberto Rolfo ran out of sponsorship money and has had to bail.

#192 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,268 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:50

Canada won't clash with any MotoGP races that aren't in North America.

#193 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 19:11

Canada won't clash with any MotoGP races that aren't in North America.

Yeah, which is why I think that date will happen. But the lack of options must be a bit worrying for the MotoGP people.

That said, I wonder how many of the famed "casual viewers" really want to watch two Grands Prix in one day.

Edited by Risil, 06 December 2012 - 19:12.

#194 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 398 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:54

Yeah, which is why I think that date will happen. But the lack of options must be a bit worrying for the MotoGP people.

That said, I wonder how many of the famed "casual viewers" really want to watch two Grands Prix in one day.

I don't know about casual viewers , but if those viewers like both series then I'm sure they will watch both... Or maybe if they live in the same timezone as me, then they would probably ditch the Canadian GP (unless they don't have anything to do at Monday morning's).

The problem with 2 gps for me is if both of my favorite drivers having a bad day, thus twice the misery and my Monday would felt miserable.

#195 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 17:36

Posted Image

Good test today with Michael Schumacher!!!!

https://twitter.com/...068402940604416
:)

Edited by Tarzaan, 07 December 2012 - 17:40.

#196 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 18:10

MSC looks strange in a bike racing suit :)

#197 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:12

MSC looks strange in a bike racing suit :)

Posted Image

It seems the location is Paul Ricard.

From left:

Espargaro, Mamola, Schumi, Keith Flint (Prodigy) and John McGuinness

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tarzaan, 07 December 2012 - 20:48.

#198 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:50

Breaking new

MSC is joining MotoGP for the 2013 season! He'll be racing in another Yamaha and be team mate to Lorenzo and Valentino :p

#199 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,112 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:11

A pair of legends.
Posted Image

Advertisement

#200 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,883 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 17:46

Surprise surprise, Kyo is back in BSB, along side Alex Lowes at Samsung Honda !

Posted Image