* * * * - 15 votes

2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#2101 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:57

All valid points :up: - but I think he's leaving it too long to put manners on Pedrosa which is allowing Lorenzo to get away. I think in the last two races Marquez race was with Lorenzo not Pedrosa. Points lost in a championship he's good enough to win

he already made a silly move on Lorenzo few races ago to get a position...i guess he want to do it cleanly now,instead of making controversial moves...still i think we will see another lamekazee type dive sooner or later... ;)

Advertisement

#2102 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,235 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:12

Yes, the boy just isn't cut out for this racing thing. What were HRC thinking signing him?

I think they saw in Marquez what they were losing in Casey Stoner :)

#2103 HPT

HPT

• 1,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:31

All valid points :up: - but I think he's leaving it too long to put manners on Pedrosa which is allowing Lorenzo to get away. I think in the last two races Marquez race was with Lorenzo not Pedrosa. Points lost in a championship he's good enough to win

Marquez said he learned a lot about how to ride a MotoGP bike around Barcelona by following Pedrosa. Maybe he needed all those laps before being comfortable enough to attack. He is still learning all the time so I think it's a little premature to assume that his race was with Lorenzo the past 2 races. Look what happened in Mugello - passed Pedrosa and immediately fell off. He is not one to hold anything back so if he could have attacked Pedrosa earlier in those races, I bet he would have done it.

#2104 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:36

MM is a clever driver. He knows that he would be blamed if he crashes into PdlR and he would be blamed if that helps Jorge to bag the title. But if Jorge takes the title anyway, MM will be the No.1 challenger at HRC in 2014.

#2105 HPT

HPT

• 1,224 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:24

MM is a clever driver. He knows that he would be blamed if he crashes into PdlR and he would be blamed if that helps Jorge to bag the title. But if Jorge takes the title anyway, MM will be the No.1 challenger at HRC in 2014.

Didn't know Pedro de la Rosa is riding for Repsol Honda :p

#2106 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,655 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:50

The more I watch Marc Marquez the more I see Casey Stoner's riding style, they are similar height and weight and they both have so much of their body weight off the bike, with low,low elbows. Stick Marquez on a Ducati and I'll bet he could nail like Stoner

I dont see it. Stoner did not hang off the bike like Marquez does. Stoner also liked to power around and out of corners, often getting the bike loose in the process. Marquez isn't pushing the bike like that, but he *is* tucking the bike into the apexes in an extreme manner and getting on the power incredibly early, but he's doing it efficiently, not having the bike get all squirmy in the process like Stoner.

#2107 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:37

I agree that MM style isn't that similar to Stoners, however that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he could ride the Ducati very well indeed. He doesn't seem to have many issues adapting to anything.

Edited by DS27, 18 June 2013 - 11:38.

#2108 sushantf1

sushantf1

• 229 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 17:40

Disappointed to see Rossi struggle.

#2109 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:39

I think we'll get used to it as the year goes on.

#2110 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:45

Honda and Ducati have admitted being seriously interested in Scott Redding for 2014, with the British rider in talks about a new production RC213V ride or Desmosedici prototype berth next season.

http://www.motorcycl...dding-interest/

So we may have two Brits at Ducati?

#2111 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,077 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:36

Unless Ducati shows serious progress, why go there over Honda?

#2112 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:37

$$$$$$$$$$$$

#2113 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:39

Unless Ducati shows serious progress, why go there over Honda?

Prototype vs better than CRT (theoretically)

#2114 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 15:43

On the subject of CRT/production racer/leased factory engine. How fast would Espargaro be if he had an M1 or no holds barred Aprillia motor in his bike?

#2115 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,453 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 21:14

On the subject of CRT/production racer/leased factory engine. How fast would Espargaro be if he had an M1 or no holds barred Aprillia motor in his bike?

I remember when they said the same about Bautista on the Suzuki. Hard to really know.

#2116 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:30

Yeah but Bautista wasn't riding a bike that's 15mph down on top speed.

#2117 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 668 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:21

Yeah don't understand why he still struggle.

#2118 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:50

Yeah don't understand why he still struggle.

Imho,prime time is over.

He maybe can improve and win some races or another wdc but for sure he is in decline.

Is just that imo and is a little bit sad because all of us are getting older.

Edited by Boxerevo, 20 June 2013 - 10:00.

#2119 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:04

I'm not ruling out Rossi winning a race, but I would be very confident in saying their is almost zero chance of him winning another championship.

Regarding Espargaro, considering he is on a very similar bike to many other riders and whopping their derriers, surely it is a better indicator of talent than someone on a bike where you have no other reference.

Advertisement

#2120 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,655 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:19

How many times has Rossi made a 'setup breakthrough' the past few years?

#2121 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:49

I'm not going to change my above opinion just yet..

#2122 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:07

An on-form Rossi would really spice up this season.

#2123 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 16:50

Indeed. I'll wait until it really counts before seeing what difference/improvements he has actually made.

#2124 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 00:41

Anyone play the new MG13 game yet? Everyones pretty critical of it, but I think it's good fun so far :D

#2125 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:29

Hey, does anyone know of a pole lap for assen? I can't seem to find one anywhere

#2126 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:01

Whenever he feels he needs to resort to mind games. Not that any rider takes much notice any more.

#2127 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,219 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:04

Anyone play the new MG13 game yet? Everyones pretty critical of it, but I think it's good fun so far :D

I've only seen videos and it looks poor for a game coming out in 2013..

#2128 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16

Doesn't look a patch on GP500.

#2129 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:40

Doesn't look a patch on GP500.

I remember that sim, I had the demo for it many years and logged plenty of laps around Mugello, it was very impressive!

#2130 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:44

Me on the PS3.
I love it, it's much better than all MG games from Capcom in the past.

#2131 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,174 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 16:51

I've only seen videos and it looks poor for a game coming out in 2013..

Yeah well it's because it's a port from Xbox 360... Tired of companies upconverting games instead of down converting. But gameplay is fun as hell. Career is really cool.

#2132 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 18:09

Disappointed to see how quickly people forget what Rossi is capable of. Be patient, he'll be BACK, as soon as he finds that little extra pace he'll eat those time trial experts alive. Marquez is the only one there with the balls to put up a fight.

#2133 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 22:11

Disappointed to see how quickly people forget what Rossi is capable of. Be patient, he'll be BACK, as soon as he finds that little extra pace he'll eat those time trial experts alive. Marquez is the only one there with the balls to put up a fight.

Trouble is, its been about 3 years since we saw that little extra pace.

#2134 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 22:54

People are looking at things the wrong way. Facts are that Rossi hasn't lost speed, Lorenzo and Pedrosa have merely gained speed and Marquez has done wonders to be on the same bleeding edge pace in only his rookie season. If you ask me, Rossi is better now than he was 10 years ago.

#2135 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 23:35

People are looking at things the wrong way. Facts are that Rossi hasn't lost speed, Lorenzo and Pedrosa have merely gained speed and Marquez has done wonders to be on the same bleeding edge pace in only his rookie season. If you ask me, Rossi is better now than he was 10 years ago.

This is something I've been contemplating also hotstickyslick. Judging by recent comments it could be that the tyres don't allow him to do what he is best at, wheel to wheel racing. In terms of pure speed there are and have been riders that are quicker than him, but in wheel-to-wheel duelling he is second to none. If the nature of the tyres is leading to processional single file races, where the quick guys can build a gap, this will hurt him.

#2136 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 23:38

I think that the ones without the dayglo yellow tinted glasses have spotted that the glory days are over. I reckon the opposition is better/keaner/younger/quicker than anything he's faced before. The glory days are over IMO, but his chirpy, knockabout character will still see him as number one in most people's eyes.

#2137 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 14:58

I think that the ones without the dayglo yellow tinted glasses have spotted that the glory days are over. I reckon the opposition is better/keaner/younger/quicker than anything he's faced before. The glory days are over IMO, but his chirpy, knockabout character will still see him as number one in most people's eyes.

Yeah sure... but maybe those are the kind of glasses that let you see riders aren't simply as good as their last result you know? :rolleyes:

Apart from people who didn't watch any races until 2010, I'm sure most will agree that Rossi deserves the benefit of the doubt at least until the end of the season...

I think he'll win in Assen :smoking:

#2138 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:08

Yeah sure... but maybe those are the kind of glasses that let you see riders aren't simply as good as their last result you know? :rolleyes:

Apart from people who didn't watch any races until 2010, I'm sure most will agree that Rossi deserves the benefit of the doubt at least until the end of the season...

I think he'll win in Assen :smoking:

Maybe, but I think that a combination of failing on the Duke (for whatever reason), his broken ankle in 2010, his age compared to the opposition and the fact that he hasn't won a race since Sepang 2010, let alone the standard of the Alien triumvate mean that he'll struggle to win another race in this class. Only my opinion of course, not looking through glasses of any colour. If I'm proved wrong then fair enough, as long as the earth doesn't tilt off it's axis, I won't be too bothered.

#2139 sopa

sopa

• 3,430 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:13

Rossi can win an odd race here or there, but not challenge for the championship any more.

Advertisement

#2140 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 16:25

Rossi can win an odd race here or there, but not challenge for the championship any more.

I wont hold my breath for that race win.

#2141 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 17:58

No.

#2142 Trust

Trust

• 3,200 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 18:27

Lets see if Lorenzo and Pedrosa get better after 10 years from now. I'm willing to bet NOT. Some younger kid will beat them easily. Probably Marq.

#2143 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 18:51

With 6 races and all the pre season testing he had all the time he needed to get back up to speed with the Yamaha. He hasn't showed any progress since Quatar (which was his best race btw). We'll see, but so far I can't see how anybody can think he'll be back with the top 3.

#2144 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 19:54

With 6 races and all the pre season testing he had all the time he needed to get back up to speed with the Yamaha. He hasn't showed any progress since Quatar (which was his best race btw). We'll see, but so far I can't see how anybody can think he'll be back with the top 3.

If the doctor retired at the end of the season there'd still be the faithful wanting to bring him back from retirement because "he can still show these pretenders who's the greatest". Fans don't know when to view things in perspective and reality and to let it rest. I'm done on this subject, like Rossi's done at the top level.

#2145 GD66

GD66

• 2,196 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:59

Hey, does anyone know of a pole lap for assen? I can't seem to find one anywhere

1:33.713 Stoner 2012

#2146 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 17:00

The same Marquez who wasn't worth his seat at the beginning of the year?

No offense, but I'll trust my view that he's had his day - even though I am not ruling out a freak win.

#2147 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 20:56

The same Marquez who wasn't worth his seat at the beginning of the year?

Don't know who suggested that, but certainly not me... I was referring to him as a genius in this forum when he was still in 125...

Rossi needs to find a way to make the bike quick with his style, he's not old enough to be slow due to age but he's probably too old to make major changes to his style. Lorenzo's smooth high-corner-speed stype typical of the 250s clearly suits this bike better. Lorenzo's achievements particularly this season are astonishing, but if The Doctor finds a way to be quick from the start of the race and gets in the mix he'll make everyone very nervous... if he doesn't clearly he won't have a chance against these guys.

#2148 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:49

Don't know who suggested that, but certainly not me... I was referring to him as a genius in this forum when he was still in 125...

Apologies. I was only being tongue in cheek, but thought you had made a comment a the beginning of the season about Marquez being nothing special. That's my menory for you! :)

#2149 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:41

He's most likely past his prime, but that's a long way to fall from being the best ever to being shown the way by Cal crutchlow on a satellite Yamaha at 33 years of age. I believe him when he says its a set up issue... Still wasn't going to beat Jorge but this is a bit embarrassing. He looked pretty damned racy in Qatar, no?

#2150 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:47

Good Lord... just enjoy the brilliance, dude. :D

You're doing yourself such a disservice because we've got a few very special riders in Moto GP right now. Sadly, at the moment, Rossi doesn't appear to be one of them. He's going to need a lot more than a little extra pace because if you're honest, the only time Rossi gets a sniff of Lorenzo's exhaust is when he lines up two rows behind Lorenzo for the race start. Let's hope this is a real breakthrough and he can be competive. This has been ugly.

My biggest regret as a racing fan was my failure to appreciate Michael Shucmacher's brilliance. Couldn't stand the guy, doing the exact same stuff you're doing... By the time it dawned on me, it was too late. :rotfl:

You already missed the boat with Rolling Stoner (as you called it), and that's sad... don't take it from me, listen to his peers wax lyrical about what him. You damn near never hear competitors talk about another competitor like that.

You're doing the same thing now. My $0.02. :wave: