2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#2701 Coral

Coral

• 2,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:50

Marc Marquez :up: :up: :up:

I just love this boy, he is fantastic... :love: who would bet against him for the Championship now?! :clap:

Advertisement

#2702 DKMoto

DKMoto

• 189 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:52

Good race from Bradl / Marquez.

First and last time I watch SPEED.

Nonstop commercials and horrible commentating.

They were giving Bradl flak because he couldnt keep Marquez behind him....umm, have they seen their bikes?

It was impressive that Bradl even kept Marquez behind him for so long.

#2703 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 2,075 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:53

Great podium, all in all. Bravo to Jorge again. The battle for the championship is on.

#2704 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:54

First time a rookie has won at Laguna.
Dani 4th and last Honda in 5th
Good race for Rossi.
Rossi closer to Lorenzo than Lorenzo is to Marquez.
Previous podium for LCR was Stoner

#2705 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,130 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 21:58

The king is dead
Long live the king

#2706 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 2,075 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:00

The king is dead
Long live the king

That 'bro' push from Rossi in parc ferme was the passing of the mantle. Marq, I am no fan but I salute you.

#2707 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:09

I really didn't see much in terms of riding together that showed Marquez to be quicker than Bradl, until the overtake. Than he showed how much quicker a full factory bike is over the satellite bike.

#2708 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:09

Marc I hate you but I love you, is that ok?

#2709 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:10

Marquez is seettling into being comfortable winning in MotoGp. I'm sure Lorenzo and Pedrosa have a lot on their minds besides getting fot for Indy.

Pedrosa was quietly impressive. He was barely fit enough to go through the practice sessions and suddenly rode a strong trace to 5th. Hats off to him today.

#2710 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:10

Genius Marc. He's already in "winning mode", not just in "outstanding rookie progression mode". I'd be astonished if he doesnt win the title.

#2711 Risil

Risil

• 14,163 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:13

I really didn't see much in terms of riding together that showed Marquez to be quicker than Bradl, until the overtake. Than he showed how much quicker a full factory bike is over the satellite bike.

Bradl rode brilliantly. I think he's on the Crutchlow trajectory.

But all four of the championship frontrunners were superb doing their own thing. Best MotoGP championship in years.

#2712 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 636 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:16

Marquez is relentless.What determination.

Nobody commenting on Dovi slamming into Nicky? Bush league move. Nicky did have the last laugh though.

Great national anthem by Satch. Jimi would be proud.

#2713 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,456 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:21

I got to agree. If anyone looks like they will take over from Rossi it might be MM93. Anyways the honda teams were too strong. However I'm not all that excited. Let's face it 26 and 99 are injured and if season held firm there probably would have been the typical gap we were seeing earlier in the season. MM might have already built up big enough points gap while those 2 are injured to control the championship down to the end provided he doesn't fall off. Id like to see if Rossi can take another step to be faster at the end of the race because as its always been the case its more exciting with him fighting for top position. Realistically Rossi has only 3 or two chances to win from now till the end with Brno, Sepang, and PI. And why would Honda want to push Bradl out the door he is the same guy who beat MM in 250. I see signing dropping him in favor of Cal as a lateral move not a upgrade.

#2714 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,292 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:22

Nice race, the move Marquez made on Rossi was on the edge and maybe over but Rossi didn't leave him any room and ofcourse as said he was the man who did the same thing in 2008 and it was allowed back then so not much too say there, he couldn't say much about it and there is no point for Rossi to start a little war against Marc because he won't be able to win this one at his age.

Bradl rode a great race, i was expecting Marquez too wait a bit but he sure did a fine job and got a well deserved 2nd place, good for LCR as well. I was surprised Bautista didn't push more but i guess there wasn't more to push for him and took a wise 4th place. Crutchlow wasn't great today and boy did the Ducati boys made it hard haha, im sure it wasn't supposed to happen but boy did Dovi almost took out his teammate on the straight there.

#2715 Rob

Rob

• 8,221 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 22:49

Finally ends his victory drought...
Posted Image
Josh Brookes by rclenshaw, on Flickr

#2716 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:03

Great national anthem by Satch. Jimi would be proud.

Agreed!

#2717 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,757 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:06

Nobody commenting on Dovi slamming into Nicky? Bush league move. Nicky did have the last laugh though.

I think it looked unintentional, as if he kinda lost the bike a bit for a while. He made a hand gesture apologising to Nicky a few corners later.

#2718 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,011 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:09

Best rider on best bike wins again, no opposition and a track that is so dull it makes me wince.

Sadly it does nothing for me, I like to see a race, and motocross moves whether done by Rossi Marquez or anyone else leave me cold.

All of you getting all excited by this better wake up, this bloke is going to do for bike racing what Doohan did.

And that is make everyone stop watching coz he is just gonna win every single race every single year for the rest of his career, it might be exciting (barely) now, but after 20 on the trot are you still gonna tune in, (with the other few thousand who have BT sport lol)

Thank God Dorna sold the rubbish to BT, as really, who is that interested in watching the same bloke win every week, it ruined F1, they changed the rules coz everyone stopped watching, I can tell you he is Spanish and no one is going to change the rules for him as they are all in in together

#2719 Vermont

Vermont

• 119 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:40

Rossi was dirty in '08 as was Marq this race. From my POV it's a no-no on two wheels.

It was a bold amazing move in 2008, it was a bold almost as amazing move in 2013. It's racing, ladies.....

"Rossi passes Stoner at the Corkscrew and Casey goes bananas complaining about Rossi riding on the dirt.
Fastforward to 2013, rookie Marquez passes Rossi at the Corkscrew and Rossi hugs Marquez after the end of the race.
I so don't miss that Australian whiner!!!Nor his puritan sissy fans"

Edited by Vermont, 21 July 2013 - 23:45.

Advertisement

#2720 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 636 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 23:58

Best rider on best bike wins again, no opposition and a track that is so dull it makes me wince.

Sadly it does nothing for me, I like to see a race, and motocross moves whether done by Rossi Marquez or anyone else leave me cold.

All of you getting all excited by this better wake up, this bloke is going to do for bike racing what Doohan did.

And that is make everyone stop watching coz he is just gonna win every single race every single year for the rest of his career, it might be exciting (barely) now, but after 20 on the trot are you still gonna tune in, (with the other few thousand who have BT sport lol)

Thank God Dorna sold the rubbish to BT, as really, who is that interested in watching the same bloke win every week, it ruined F1, they changed the rules coz everyone stopped watching, I can tell you he is Spanish and no one is going to change the rules for him as they are all in in together

A healthy Lorenzo and Pedrosa may have something to say about that. I think he's fun to watch.

#2721 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,012 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:46

Marquez doing a Rossi on Rossi, how apt.

Life is a beauty.

#2722 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:30

I can tell you he is Spanish and no one is going to change the rules for him as they are all in in together

Like brits in F1 then.

Anyway, Marquez was asked what did Rossi say to him before the podium, and the answer is 'you bastard', jokingly of course.

#2723 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:04

Not a huge fan of motorbike racing so not too familiar with the stewarding and the wheel to wheel etiquette, but how on Earth is allowed to pass off the track like that?? Looks like wild west.

#2724 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:07

Like brits in F1 then.

Replying with nonsense paranoid conspiracies to someone suggesting nonsense paranoid conspiracies isnĀ“t the way to go.

#2725 JohnPackham

JohnPackham

• 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35

Not a huge fan of motorbike racing so not too familiar with the stewarding and the wheel to wheel etiquette, but how on Earth is allowed to pass off the track like that?? Looks like wild west.

Marquez was trying the outside line and Rossi ran him so deep into the corner he had nowhere to go. You can be sure that Marquez didn't intentionally ride off track: that usually ends in dropping the bike... and race over. Rossi was out-rossied yesterday.

#2726 pRy

pRy

• 10,966 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:17

The king is dead
Long live the king

He will always be the king imho. But nothing lasts forever. I'm just glad he is having fun. He's pulled off some big moves himself this year so he still has it.

#2727 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:32

A healthy Lorenzo and Pedrosa may have something to say about that. I think he's fun to watch.

Agreed, as impressive as the last two wins have been I don't think they would have happened with a fit Jorge and Dani on track.

#2728 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,861 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:09

is this cutting of the corner (Marquez on Rossi in Corksrew) allowed?

#2729 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:11

Marquez was trying the outside line and Rossi ran him so deep into the corner he had nowhere to go. You can be sure that Marquez didn't intentionally ride off track: that usually ends in dropping the bike... and race over. Rossi was out-rossied yesterday.

#2730 as65p

as65p

• 17,565 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:11

Yes.

#2731 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 13:58

Matthew Birt @birtymotogp
1 major factory is going 2 make 1 major announcement about 1 very high profile rider tomorrow. And I don't mean number 35 Watch this space

Redding and Ducati?

#2732 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:03

Ok you've watched this space for long enough
Exclusive: Casey Stoner to test factory Honda in Japan

http://www.motorcycl...-factory-honda/

#2733 HPT

HPT

• 1,180 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:06

Ok you've watched this space for long enough
Exclusive: Casey Stoner to test factory Honda in Japan

http://www.motorcycl...-factory-honda/

Wow. I hope he returns somehow!

#2734 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,204 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:06

Stoner back in MotoGP? the lure of racing against Marquez too strong?

Marquez vrs Stoner 2014 ?

#2735 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:08

Stoner back in MotoGP? the lure of racing against Marquez too strong?

Marquez vrs Stoner 2014 ?

Matthew Birt @birtymotogp
HRC have point-blank denied that Stoner is going to wild card in Phillip Island and Motegi and that he is not planning a return 2 MotoGP

AFAIK the riders arent allowed to test the bikes so this is a round about way of testing the bike at the racer's limit (not test rider pace)

#2736 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,031 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:15

Don't think he will comeback to race as he earlier this year stated he is happier outside of motogp and staying at australia with his family....but than again many others have said similar and still made comebacks to their own events.

Edited by Vesuvius, 22 July 2013 - 14:16.

#2737 Arn

Arn

• 1,630 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:29

Stoner is going to Japan for just a test session? I guess the radiation level from Fukushima has reached an acceptable level then :p

#2738 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 14:30

It's one of the corners where officials seem to not make calls about cutting, given the circumstances in which the cutting usually occurs. And it wouldn't have mattered anyway given the precedent given from the events of 2008.

#2739 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,198 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:20

Well it's not quite that dramatic, he would have passed him conventionally otherwise.

Advertisement

#2740 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,105 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 15:35

Well it's not quite that dramatic, he would have passed him conventionally otherwise.

Yeah, Marquez would have had him later that lap (@ T11), or in the next couple of laps without really effecting his race pace as he did seem to ride a few laps behind Bradl before going for the pass.

And it was a bit different than '08. As that year, Rossi just overshot the corner and the pass was almost luck as if he did not drift up, Stoner would've gotten by. This time Marquez was just quicker, and got lucky that he had enough room to not crash.

#2741 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,422 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 16:21

Stoner is going to Japan for just a test session? I guess the radiation level from Fukushima has reached an acceptable level then :p

Oh you are just evil :rotfl:

#2742 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 17:25

Why would Stoner test the bike in Japan with no intention to race? Just helping out HRC? I doubt it...

#2743 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 17:30

AFAIK the riders arent allowed to test the bikes so this is a round about way of testing the bike at the racer's limit (not test rider pace)

Maybe useful for Honda, but I don't see the point of it for Stoner...

Besides, Marquez's limit is probably way beyond Casey's you know :p

#2744 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,965 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 17:58

Why would Stoner test the bike in Japan with no intention to race? Just helping out HRC? I doubt it...

Besides the kick and fun from a track day on a way over 200hp bike?

#2745 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:07

I'd love Stoner to comeback, would only be good for the sport but i can't see it, could he really have made such a big u turn in only a few months?

#2746 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,153 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:41

I confess that Laguna Seca was the first MotoGP race I've watched from start to finish live. I was very impressed with the racing...Marquez's overtake on Rossi was stunning to watch, to the point of thinking, "Did he really just do that?"

I'm not at all familiar with the series outside of knowing of the larger names like Rossi, Lorenzo, etc.

As such, I have some noob questions. I will start out with asking, how good is Marquez? For a rookie, his composure is incredible, but is he going through beginner's luck at all/ a good bike/etc.? Or is he the real deal?

#2747 robefc

robefc

• 8,065 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:54

I confess that Laguna Seca was the first MotoGP race I've watched from start to finish live. I was very impressed with the racing...Marquez's overtake on Rossi was stunning to watch, to the point of thinking, "Did he really just do that?"

I'm not at all familiar with the series outside of knowing of the larger names like Rossi, Lorenzo, etc.

As such, I have some noob questions. I will start out with asking, how good is Marquez? For a rookie, his composure is incredible, but is he going through beginner's luck at all/ a good bike/etc.? Or is he the real deal?

I'm no more knowledgeable than you but started taking an interest last year and Marquez has got me really into it now in a similar way to how I got into F1 in 2007, there seem to be a lot of parallels between him and Lewis.

I read an article, I forget who they interviewed, but they were blown away by Marquez's performance yesterday, he's never raced there before. Apparently another rookie went round in a road bike to get a feel for it a couple of weeks ago, Marquez didn't bother, just turned up and straight on the pace.

I'll be following him from now on, just hoping there's no gravel traps he can park the bike in a couple of races before the end of the season!

I was also massively impressed with Lorenzo's 5th place a couple of weeks ago after he crashed in practice, that looked very gutsy.

Lastly loving the interaction in the interview pen between Marquez and Rossi yesterday and also a couple more times with them and Crutchlow and Rossi too.

#2748 l8apex

l8apex

• 214 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 18:56

And why would Honda want to push Bradl out the door he is the same guy who beat MM in 250. I see signing dropping him in favor of Cal as a lateral move not a upgrade.

He beat MM to the Moto2 championship, not the 250cc championship. Marquez had the championship in the bag, but missed two races due to injury. Bradl won the championship with 4 wins, while Marquez ended up finishing 2nd in the championship with 7 wins.

Bradl is on a factory Honda. I'm sure it's a little behind the Repsol bikes, but it basically started the season the same and gets updated regularly and isn't that far behind. Bradl has been pretty unimpressive up until Laguna Seca given the bike he has... and until the last race it was 4 podiums to 0 in Crutchlow's favor.

Perhaps Bradl just needs a bit of pressure to perform. Once the rumors started flying that he might lose his ride... he suddenly pumps in a very impressive performance. I look forward to seeing what he can do for the remainder of the season.

#2749 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,198 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 19:12

I will start out with asking, how good is Marquez? For a rookie, his composure is incredible, but is he going through beginner's luck at all/ a good bike/etc.? Or is he the real deal?

He is something very special; the most likely candidate the match the achievements of those who have dominated the series before him (Rossi, Doohan). He's been a dominant force in prototype racing since 2010 when he easily took the 125cc championship.

He's adapting to the top flight better even than Lorenzo and Stoner, who were both very quick from their first races but at the cost of several huge crashes. Marquez has only fallen out of a single race so far, and kept himself uninjured. If he keeps it up, he will win the title at his first attempt.

Plus, he's 20 years old. :drunk:

Edited by Disgrace, 22 July 2013 - 19:12.

#2750 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,407 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 19:23

He is something very special; the most likely candidate the match the achievements of those who have dominated the series before him (Rossi, Doohan). He's been a dominant force in prototype racing since 2010 when he easily took the 125cc championship.

He's adapting to the top flight better even than Lorenzo and Stoner, who were both very quick from their first races but at the cost of several huge crashes. Marquez has only fallen out of a single race so far, and kept himself uninjured. If he keeps it up, he will win the title at his first attempt.

Plus, he's 20 years old. :drunk:

It shouldn't be forgotten that Stoner won on the Ducati in his second season.... that is an achievement I don't think will ever be matched