* * * * - 15 votes

2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#2901 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:05

Because they suck. They don't cover Moto2 and 3 anymore as well ...

Stupid decision from the WSBK officials to stop the SP3 to restart a wet 20min Superpole ...

Advertisement

#2902 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 2,221 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:16

I'm sure I saw Moto2 and 3 coverage on the Live Race Center a couple of races ago.

Eh, I don't know. I enjoy SBK, it's fun. :cool:

#2903 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:45

The SSTK1000 race is insane :love: :up:

#2904 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:54

Aaah come on! Red Flag ?

#2905 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 2,221 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:44

Always with the tricky conditions at Silverstone.

#2906 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:26

Rubbish tv coverage - again.

Does anyone want to see the pit crew every 10 seconds during the last couple of laps?
What was the camera pointed at on the last corner when the second group of riders came through?

Supersport due now - how many laps til the red flag ?

#2907 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:00

Neil Hodgson said earlier paddock gossip is saying Aprilia is pulling out of WSBK

#2908 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 2,221 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:35

Why? :|

#2909 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 13:53

Sam Lowes picking the bike up off the floor and still finishing 2nd is why the BSB rules suck.

I'm sure I remember Palmer justifying the move by saying it's not like someone ever picks it up and still finishes on the podium....

Edited by DS27, 04 August 2013 - 14:41.

#2910 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,076 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 14:18

Neil Hodgson said earlier paddock gossip is saying Aprilia is pulling out of WSBK

Came, saw, won. Game over.
Or WSBK doesnt draw enough exposure, which seems the case. The stands are barely half full at Silverstone.
Or they want to ramp up their MotoGP efforts.

Or all three.

#2911 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,697 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:15

That rumour is also fueled by the story that Gigi has been given a huge cheque to go head up Ducati's MotoGP effort

#2912 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 17:24

Just booking my MotoGP tickets, I'm sure it wasn't so expensive last year, and like the F1, Silverstone are charging £15 for parking at the circuit.

Was about to book Club corner tickets, but then realised they are using the old National Pit straight so less worth the money, particularly when they do not provide a seating plan for this massive grandstand (anyone know why the new fancy Wing is not being used?)

#2913 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 18:20

Just booking my MotoGP tickets, I'm sure it wasn't so expensive last year, and like the F1, Silverstone are charging £15 for parking at the circuit.

Was about to book Club corner tickets, but then realised they are using the old National Pit straight so less worth the money, particularly when they do not provide a seating plan for this massive grandstand (anyone know why the new fancy Wing is not being used?)

Because it costs too much to run , it doesnt have mains power , and all runs off generators ..i kid you not

#2914 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,697 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:17

Not something I expected to see again
Posted Image

#2915 Trust

Trust

• 3,200 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:37

How great it would be if he arrived at Phillip Island to compete? :)

#2916 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:43

The WSB spectator count dropped when the size of the grid dropped. One of the real attractions of WSB was the "Wild card" riders who would, particularly in the UK, give the full timers a really hard time, that locals would pay to see - Now it's just another franchise operation, pay to join or you can't play in our yard.

#2917 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,697 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:08

The WSB spectator count dropped when the size of the grid dropped. One of the real attractions of WSB was the "Wild card" riders who would, particularly in the UK, give the full timers a really hard time, that locals would pay to see - Now it's just another franchise operation, pay to join or you can't play in our yard.

The non competitiveness of local wildcards is one of the biggest losses imo. There needs to be a worldwide standard, as in superbikes, be it BSB, Germany, Japan, Australia, South Africa or wherever all run to the same rules so when they arrive at Silverstone the front runners of BSB can run at the sharp end of the WSBK field, this would increase local interest massively.

Here the local series doesn't even run to WSBK or SuperSport regs, it's just way too expensive, they run to SuperStock 1000 rules and it survives.

#2918 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 13:12

Are Yamaha testing a Brno today?

#2919 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 3,273 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:22

Are Yamaha testing a Brno today?

I'm pretty sure it's tomorrow and Thursday.

Advertisement

#2920 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:44

Not something I expected to see again
Posted Image

Me either but I'm very happy to see him on a bike again. Even though Marc is doing great and I love the kid, I miss Casey.

#2921 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:12

I'm pretty sure it's tomorrow and Thursday.

It's today and tomorrow.
They are testing the seamless gearbox.

#2922 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:13

No coverage of todays test from anyone involved at Yamaha, unless im not looking hard enough.

#2923 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,419 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:19

I managed to watch the WSBK meeting this weekend, the first since Aragon, so I've missed a bit. Can anyone fill me in as to why Checa is behind Badovini and nowhere in the championship? Injuries?

#2924 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:28

I managed to watch the WSBK meeting this weekend, the first since Aragon, so I've missed a bit. Can anyone fill me in as to why Checa is behind Badovini and nowhere in the championship? Injuries?

He's missed a few rounds and the Duc is a few years from working right by the looks of it.

#2925 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 23:50

Checa injured himself at the first meeting of the season. He's an old fart and it knocked him back a bit. The bike is new and I reckon they're using Rossi reject frames.

Time WSBK stopped allowing 1200 Ducati's to race against 1000 4 cylinder bikes. But with 2 more factories leaving next year I guess the championship is heading towards oblivion anyway.

#2926 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:02

Checa injured himself at the first meeting of the season. He's an old fart and it knocked him back a bit. The bike is new and I reckon they're using Rossi reject frames.

Time WSBK stopped allowing 1200 Ducati's to race against 1000 4 cylinder bikes. But with 2 more factories leaving next year I guess the championship is heading towards oblivion anyway.

I'm beginning to get the feeling I won't be missing much when I don't subscribe to BT Sport. I guess the Kawasaki's will dominate like the Ducati's did back in the day when Hodgson was riding one. Sykes to win every race - unless it rains...

Edited by DS27, 07 August 2013 - 07:04.

#2927 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 23:07

I'm beginning to get the feeling I won't be missing much when I don't subscribe to BT Sport. I guess the Kawasaki's will dominate like the Ducati's did back in the day when Hodgson was riding one. Sykes to win every race - unless it rains...

I don't think Eurosport have lost the Superbike & BSB races. BT have only snatched MotoGP.

A friend has returned from Silverstone feeling well and truely fed up. They charged him an extra £15 to park his car. As he took a full car of adults, he reckons they're taking the piss with a parking tax on top of £lots for the tickets. Could be 5 less tickets for bike racing at Silverstone in future.

#2928 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 23:21

MotoGP and WSBK should at least test together.
Shared circuit rental costs, or however it's called, and a lot more coverage, thus exposure, than otherwise.

#2929 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:27

All these pics of casey on the black test honda are giving me a semi :love:

come back casey!

#2930 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:07

They charged him an extra £15 to park his car.

That's ridiculous.

#2931 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:10

That sounds totally wrong,

Is he sure he wasnt fleeced by someone> I have never been charged for parking at Silverstone.

And should I ever be i would turn around and go home as where on earth are you suposed to park, do you pay at any racetracks unless you are parking with a view of the track?

#2932 Yendor

Yendor

• 510 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:20

That sounds totally wrong,

Is he sure he wasnt fleeced by someone> I have never been charged for parking at Silverstone.

And should I ever be i would turn around and go home as where on earth are you suposed to park, do you pay at any racetracks unless you are parking with a view of the track?

Found this on Silverstone site re MotoGP: "How much does it cost to park?

Bike parking is free. Charges will apply for car parking on the Saturday and Sunday."

#2933 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:00

That must be a new thing, as I have never paid to park there.

Pathetic really when you consider how much a ticket already is, I presume people are like me, not interested in watching bikes at this awful bike track, so theya re trying to claw some cahs back in cakc handed ways like this.

INteresting to read Mike Scotts comments in MCN about Cal, putting money before a long view look at winning, pretty much what I said oracle! Nice

#2934 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 878 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:08

Silverstone charged £15 for parking at the F1 too. A way of encouraging people to use the park & ride I guess.

#2935 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:11

Dorna announced the main changes for the 2014 WSBK rules, looks like they want to push the factory teams out of WSBK to go to MotoGP.

#2936 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:46

That's what it seems to me. WSBK to become a Superbike series based on production bikes while MotoGP has a sort of tiered entry system to encourage factories to go there instead, as long as they bring enough bikes for everyone.

#2937 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 19:55

That's what it seems to me. WSBK to become a Superbike series based on production bikes while MotoGP has a sort of tiered entry system to encourage factories to go there instead, as long as they bring enough bikes for everyone.

Dorna are chasing their tails. They forced the factories to use engines similar to production bikes when they created MotoGP, on the basis that no one rode 2 strokes on the road. Now they've killed off competition 2 strokes and GP racing is still dying on it's feet, and dragging down every other form of motorcycle racing with it.

Oh for the days before Dorna was involved. GP's did okay for 70 odd years without their interference and the crowds used to be huge too.

#2938 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:15

Dorna are chasing their tails. They forced the factories to use engines similar to production bikes when they created MotoGP, on the basis that no one rode 2 strokes on the road. Now they've killed off competition 2 strokes and GP racing is still dying on it's feet, and dragging down every other form of motorcycle racing with it.

Oh for the days before Dorna was involved. GP's did okay for 70 odd years without their interference and the crowds used to be huge too.

But motorsport as a whole is struggling.

#2939 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:38

Dorna are chasing their tails. They forced the factories to use engines similar to production bikes when they created MotoGP, on the basis that no one rode 2 strokes on the road.

Yet at the same time insisted that they had to be prototype bikes. They disqualified WCM for using an engine derived from an R1.

Advertisement

#2940 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:45

But motorsport as a whole is struggling.

Only those that have sold their soul to the dog of television. I don't follow long distance sports car racing, but they appear to be doing okay. Plenty of entries - factory and private and huge crowds - at Le Mans, at least. You can follow the race live, for free, on the Interweb too. Popular in the US too.

Go back 30 or 40 years and a bike racer could run a couple of bikes and race 4, 5, 6 times a day at a big event in the UK. Other than the number of cylinders, the actual bikes didn't matter. They didn't have to be new, they could be fettled at home using any frame the rider could make or buy.

Now - few riders have more than 1 bike. They enter a series and have to attend every event and because of various sponsors, the different bikes never race against one another. We don't see GP riders except at GP's which is great for the top few, but the rest of the field struggle to make a living. If Brands/Donnington/Oulton had a meeting with top MotoGP riders against Superbike, BSB, etc. The place would be full to overflowing. No one would really care who won - they'd go to see races. Just like they used to in times past. Instead Rossi, Marquez, etc are paid NOT to race outside of GP's. Which defeats the whole idea of factories racing to publicise their road bikes.

#2941 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 22:51

Yet at the same time insisted that they had to be prototype bikes. They disqualified WCM for using an engine derived from an R1.

Prototypes that have to last X number of races. Moto2 bikes with sealed Honda engines, no other type of engine allowed.
BSB - every race is a production race of some type.

#2942 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 00:25

Only those that have sold their soul to the dog of television. I don't follow long distance sports car racing, but they appear to be doing okay. Plenty of entries - factory and private and huge crowds - at Le Mans, at least. You can follow the race live, for free, on the Interweb too. Popular in the US too.

Go back 30 or 40 years and a bike racer could run a couple of bikes and race 4, 5, 6 times a day at a big event in the UK. Other than the number of cylinders, the actual bikes didn't matter. They didn't have to be new, they could be fettled at home using any frame the rider could make or buy.

Now - few riders have more than 1 bike. They enter a series and have to attend every event and because of various sponsors, the different bikes never race against one another. We don't see GP riders except at GP's which is great for the top few, but the rest of the field struggle to make a living. If Brands/Donnington/Oulton had a meeting with top MotoGP riders against Superbike, BSB, etc. The place would be full to overflowing. No one would really care who won - they'd go to see races. Just like they used to in times past. Instead Rossi, Marquez, etc are paid NOT to race outside of GP's. Which defeats the whole idea of factories racing to publicise their road bikes.

Without television, where is the funding going to come from? There is a noteable lack of money around already, without television there would be insufficent funding for the sky-rocketing costs of motor racing. The whole world has changed in 40 years, there will be no turning back. Dorna doesn't deserve the blame you are giving them.

#2943 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:46

You see, its not just me!
To their credit Dorna have done some good, but most of it happened when Bernie was briefly involved in the early 90's. He got them started on organisation and better paddocks.

But omst of what they have done is poor. The lack of 500's resolution was mainly sorted by King Kenny persuading Yamaha to build private YZR500s

The 4 stroke thing happened at the right time for manufacturers, money was easy, but so many came and went.

800's was a disaster from start to finish, and they have never managed to recover. It made the bikes and tyres go in a way that makes the racing very dull, and the manufacturers struggle if they cant build a bike arounbd one tyre.

Single tyre rule is a joke, you already know right now that Ducati would be on Michelin as soon as they could, anything but a Bridgestone who only design theiur tyres around one or two riders, damn the rest.

CRT is not actually a bad idea, its is Ezpeleta trying to get some show back into tracing, but the manufacturers wont let him, he knows the show is rubbish without Rossi and now maybe Marquez, and he is trying.

And to cap it all he batters one of his most reliable audiences by only making the tv coverage available on a brand new channel that only wants sport to try and get you to switch to their broadband packages and phone deals.

Nice touch Carmo, you really have messed that up

#2944 chumma

chumma

• 997 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:41

On lazy Sunday evening I decided to re watch the 2007 Catalunya gp and wow wee, I never get sick of watching that race it still gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing, Casey, come back, for the love of all things holy, come back!

#2945 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:00

Without television, where is the funding going to come from? There is a noteable lack of money around already, without television there would be insufficent funding for the sky-rocketing costs of motor racing. The whole world has changed in 40 years, there will be no turning back. Dorna doesn't deserve the blame you are giving them.

How much of the TV money reaches the teams? I read an article some time ago that said none of the teams in BSB are paid, it actually costs them to compete.

Dorna is run in the same way as FOM and we know only scraps reach half the F1 teams and none at all for one. Dorna are also involved in BSB.

Here's the article

http://www.biscuitti...ee-who-profits/

Edited by Tonka, 11 August 2013 - 11:09.

#2946 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:48

You see, its not just me!
To their credit Dorna have done some good, but most of it happened when Bernie was briefly involved in the early 90's. He got them started on organisation and better paddocks.

But omst of what they have done is poor. The lack of 500's resolution was mainly sorted by King Kenny persuading Yamaha to build private YZR500s

The 4 stroke thing happened at the right time for manufacturers, money was easy, but so many came and went.

800's was a disaster from start to finish, and they have never managed to recover. It made the bikes and tyres go in a way that makes the racing very dull, and the manufacturers struggle if they cant build a bike arounbd one tyre.

Single tyre rule is a joke, you already know right now that Ducati would be on Michelin as soon as they could, anything but a Bridgestone who only design theiur tyres around one or two riders, damn the rest.

CRT is not actually a bad idea, its is Ezpeleta trying to get some show back into tracing, but the manufacturers wont let him, he knows the show is rubbish without Rossi and now maybe Marquez, and he is trying.

And to cap it all he batters one of his most reliable audiences by only making the tv coverage available on a brand new channel that only wants sport to try and get you to switch to their broadband packages and phone deals.

Nice touch Carmo, you really have messed that up

So many objectionable items in that post I don't know where to start. How about here, the most objectionable part? I guarantee you that Bridgestone has not built tyres around any one or 2 riders. Where do you guys come up with these gems?

#2947 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:09

So many objectionable items in that post I don't know where to start. How about here, the most objectionable part? I guarantee you that Bridgestone has not built tyres around any one or 2 riders. Where do you guys come up with these gems?

It's not beyond the bounds of reality that Bridgestone supply a huge number of tyres for new bikes for one particular manufacturer, so....

Bridgestone test with all the teams, but which team do they listen to ?

#2948 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:39

It's not beyond the bounds of reality that Bridgestone supply a huge number of tyres for new bikes for one particular manufacturer, so....

Bridgestone test with all the teams, but which team do they listen to ?

Haha, if there was any truth to that claptrap I am sure the factories and riders would be a tad less quiet about it than they are now :lol:

If you and chunder had the chance I would say you two would bankrupt the sport faster than Dorna ever could.

#2949 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:51

Haha, if there was any truth to that claptrap I am sure the factories and riders would be a tad less quiet about it than they are now :lol:

If you and chunder had the chance I would say you two would bankrupt the sport faster than Dorna ever could.

Are you in denial about the power of Honda in motorcycle racing?

Just to remind you - Moto2 - only Honda engines allowed and no sign of that changing any time in the future. The engines are sealed and the teams can't work on them. Exactly how the distribution of engines is made isn't known. Some teams seem to aquire the fastest engines every time.

Moto3 - Honda and one other manufacturer involved.

The rule about new riders not being allowed to race works machines was dumped this year, so that Honda could put Marquez onto a works bike.

Historically, Honda have not made 2 stoke motorcycles. Other manufactures have. There are no 2 stokes in left in motorcycle racing.

#2950 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,450 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 13:00

Historically, Honda have not made 2 stoke motorcycles. Other manufactures have. There are no 2 stokes in left in motorcycle racing.

Well not all motorcycle racing - http://www.motocross...p...hed in 2014