2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#301 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 21:15

Are you referring to the Stomp grip?

Yes I am. On closer inspection of older photos the Hondas had it last year as well. But it extends much further now, almost to the chassis spars.

Advertisement

#302 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:47

Davide Brivio to run Suzuki Moto GP team?

#303 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,236 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 13:49

That Repsol has too much white. Looks like they have the Japanese flag incorporated in it now.

One of the riders is looking more and more like Alan Partridge to me as time goes on. Ooh, I could kiss that.

Meanwhile Casey Stoner has been complaining about the MotoGP fans.....

Andy

#304 pRy

pRy

• 10,714 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:14

"We got spat at [by fans], they tried to knock us off scooters going from the motorhomes to the pits, everything like that.

That bit surprised me.

#305 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:20

Is Casey using the royal "we" here?

#306 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 55,894 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:22

No, he means himself and his opinions. Which are legion.

#307 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 18:23

:lol: :up:

#308 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,275 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 20:18

Sure we can laugh about it but it's sad really. Casey always is honest so im sure something big has happened and not just a one time incident.

I hope we will see him back someday.

#309 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,398 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 21:59

I'd heard him talk about being spat on a few years ago but not about anyone trying to push him off a scooter.

#310 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:40

Keep digging Casey.Not sure why he thinks leaving something he's very good at and going to something he's never done ,racing V8s, is going to be some kind of media/puppet/dickhead free utopia.

#311 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 23:51

Perhaps not, but at least Valentino Rossi won't be there. ;)

#312 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,409 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30

Who cares what some junior V8 Supercar driver thinks.

#313 HPT

HPT

• 1,118 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:11

Who cares what some junior V8 Supercar driver thinks.

:lol: Good one Sean!

Except this junior V8 Supercar driver also happens to be a MotoGP double world champion :p

#314 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:13

Perhaps not, but at least Valentino Rossi won't be there.;)

If Rossi got under Stoner's skin, I can't imagine that it'll be any better for him in V8s.

#315 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 142 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:31

1. Paddock can be a little bit crowded. We all know that. I can remember how Senna had difficulties gettin from his motorhome to the pit. Rossi the same. Montoya had some accident with some journo. Things like that happen. I don't think somebody wanted to harm him intentionally.
2. He's bitching about the direction of the sport annoys me a lot. If the factories would put enough bikes on the grid, CRT's won't exist. HRC used to put 7 bikes on the grid. You could won races with all of them. Now they have 4. Only 2 are capable of winning. Who was behind the 800 cc formula? Factories, especially HRC. Who was behind the fuel limit rules? MSMA (factories, especially HRC). Who was behind the demise of the Pons team and their sponsor? HRC. Which factory didn't want to continue to support the Robers team? HRC. Which factory is against the new cost cutting rules? HRC. Which factory was the employer of Mr. Stoner the last two years? HRC. So Mr. Stoner, you should go to your former employer and cry to them first. But I guess they paid your check for the 2 years so you remained silent. Not suprised...
3. About Simoncelli. He says: "within a month it was like it never happened". I don't think Rossi and Edwards shares your opinion. Also there are memorials in Italy, different charity events, they named a circuit about him, 58 stickers and so on... When Pedrosa snubed Simoncelli handshake in Mugello, he didn't seem to be so concerned with Simoncelli. He even found it funny.

#316 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:05

I don't know what to think about Stoner. He's a talented rider, but he's a confusing personality to try and figure out.

#317 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:13

The issue is that he has never explicitly detailed why he's left MotoGP other than the general 'way the sport is going'.

#318 DS27

DS27

• 823 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:18

Somewhat surprised by the odds for the riders championship:

JL 5/4
DP 2/1
MM 9/2
VR 11/2

I think I'll be rooting for Lorenzo, but at those prices a bet on Rossi was impossible to refuse. Obviously his Ducati years have hurt his rep with the bookies.

Edited by DS27, 28 January 2013 - 13:42.

#319 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 13:57

I don't know what to think about Stoner. He's a talented rider, but he's a confusing personality to try and figure out.

He's a wise fool, or at least aims to be. He starts from the position that all the racing politics, the backbiting Italians, the bullshitting riders, the voices of the long-retired, aren't worth any attention at all. His knowledge entirely consists of himself, his co-workers and his motorcycle. On these subjects he's a grand master.

As fans we can't really fault his premises. Mass marketability, political success and respect of elders mean nothing next to six consecutive wins at Phillip Island. He chooses to martyr himself for his motorcycle racing beliefs, hinting at some future time when the world will again be worthy of Casey Stoner.

But get him in an irritable frame of mind and present him with a microphone and he can't help himself. The world has a right to know the truth. That he's the greatest of all time, whatever bullshit the record books tell you. Retiring when he did, Stoner even managed to become a sort of honorary member of the 27 Club, the reputational safe harbour for rock stars who self-destructed before they had to get intimate with their own mortality.

When CS27 talks about the paddock moving on from Simoncelli within a month, you can hear more than a faint echo of his own self-doubts. By April the paddock brains will be talking about another spectacular, weird individual in Repsol leathers. And that disgraceful old clown who hasn't looked like winning a race for over two years will still dictate the headlines. As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods.

Edited by Risil, 28 January 2013 - 13:57.

Advertisement

#320 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 14:43

As fans we can't really fault his premises. Mass marketability, political success and respect of elders mean nothing next to six consecutive wins at Phillip Island. He chooses to martyr himself for his motorcycle racing beliefs, hinting at some future time when the world will again be worthy of Casey Stoner.

To be fair that disgraceful old clown won there 5 times in a row....

But get him in an irritable frame of mind and present him with a microphone and he can't help himself. The world has a right to know the truth. That he's the greatest of all time, whatever bullshit the record books tell you. Retiring when he did, Stoner even managed to become a sort of honorary member of the 27 Club, the reputational safe harbour for rock stars who self-destructed before they had to get intimate with their own mortality.

If he dies of a drug overdose or with a gun in his hand before next october then he can be classed as a member of club 27.....
Surely the greatest of all time would have to have been capable of winning a title in the intermediate classes too?

When CS27 talks about the paddock moving on from Simoncelli within a month, you can hear more than a faint echo of his own self-doubts. By April the paddock brains will be talking about another spectacular, weird individual in Repsol leathers. And that disgraceful old clown who hasn't looked like winning a race for over two years will still dictate the headlines. As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods.

L.O.L.

Edited by kosmic33, 28 January 2013 - 14:44.

#321 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,788 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 19:38

Melandri with his new colours :

Posted Image

#322 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 20:03

Stoner even managed to become a sort of honorary member of the 27 Club, the reputational safe harbour for rock stars who self-destructed before they had to get intimate with their own mortality.

Dunno how that works... Neither dead nor a musician.

#323 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:17

Dunno how that works... Neither dead nor a musician.

His bike racing career is dead - hopefully

And he could maintain a note - if you call a whine a note.

What makes him believe he should be respected? People earn respect and off the bike, he deserved none at all. He's certainly not the best motorcycle racer by a very long way.

#324 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,401 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:31

Casey is fast as hell; undeniably great.

But....given that he is the only one complaining and at such volume it feels pretty easy to peg him as the problem and not everyone else around him.

#325 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,860 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 21:47

But....given that he is the only one complaining and at such volume it feels pretty easy to peg him as the problem and not everyone else around him.

Could also mean he's right... (about the puppets).

Edited by Disgrace, 28 January 2013 - 21:50.

#326 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 542 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:06

Or perhaps those who feel similarly prefer to hold their tongues and behave professionally, such as Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden.

#327 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 817 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:08

Are Suzuki 100% coming back in 2014? Havent heard a peep of them since they left.

And those Rossi odds might be worth a few pennies. I think he will be very motivated.

#328 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56

Or perhaps those who feel similarly prefer to hold their tongues and behave professionally, such as Ben Spies and Nicky Hayden.

Behaving professionally is not voicing how you feel? Sure, it may piss people off, so be it. I don't agree with everything he says, in fact I do disagree a lot. But the last thing motorsport needs are gagging orders for the sake of the guise of being 'professional'. Too much pretense is at stake for most people, it seems.

#329 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,779 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:44

I think the tell in these stories is Colin Edwards, he doesn't shut his mouth for anything or anyone and I don't remember hearing anything like these claims from him.

#330 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:12

Stoner was lucky, he was fast and didn't hurt himself when he fell off. The only time he did, he retired.

As for the whining, I'm like many others, waiting to see him go off on one with the car racers.

#331 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:12

I think the tell in these stories is Colin Edwards, he doesn't shut his mouth for anything or anyone and I don't remember hearing anything like these claims from him.

Exactly.

#332 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 542 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:21

I think Colin has a greater sense of discretion than others give him credit for. He says what he feels on a lot of topics, but never throws Yamaha under the bus for any reason, even when the equipment he gets is obsolete. I think he cultivates his image well, and carefully picks his battles. He learned after losing the Repsol Honda seat to Hayden, I think.

Spies could have trashed Yamaha like Stoner trashed Honda. He chose not too. When asked if he could understand Casey's position, he readily agreed that he did, but when leaving Yamaha made clear the reasons why, but also left the subject at that, and moved on to life with Ducati. That is significantly more professional than rehashing the same complaints ad nauseum, a la Stoner...

Edited by juicy sushi, 29 January 2013 - 17:22.

#333 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,401 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 18:44

Agree re: Edwards.

I wish I could take credit for this but I saw this on Twitter today and had to share:

Stoner = brilliant rider who's had a charisma bypass.

#334 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:55

I think Colin's delivery is better than Casey's. :up:

#335 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,788 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:33

Manuel Pogiali is back, he will race in CIV (italian SBK) on a Panigale.

#336 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:36

:up: :up:

#337 Rob

Rob

• 8,030 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:52

Wow, that's unexpected! I wonder how well he'll do, he's been out for quite a while now...

#338 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 22:56

Stoner was lucky, he was fast and didn't hurt himself when he fell off. The only time he did, he retired.

As for the whining, I'm like many others, waiting to see him go off on one with the car racers.

Weren't you the one questioning whether arm pump was a real condition or not? I think you are.

I think Colin has a greater sense of discretion than others give him credit for. He says what he feels on a lot of topics, but never throws Yamaha under the bus for any reason, even when the equipment he gets is obsolete. I think he cultivates his image well, and carefully picks his battles. He learned after losing the Repsol Honda seat to Hayden, I think.

Spies could have trashed Yamaha like Stoner trashed Honda. He chose not too. When asked if he could understand Casey's position, he readily agreed that he did, but when leaving Yamaha made clear the reasons why, but also left the subject at that, and moved on to life with Ducati. That is significantly more professional than rehashing the same complaints ad nauseum, a la Stoner...

Was Edwards ever good enough to deserve the best equipment? I don't see how this compares to Stoner at all. Different riders, different circumstances here. And I could argue that Colin's potty-mouthed way of expressing himself isn't professional, but it seems he can get away with that?

Well, it's not like Spies wasn't completely awful last year either. What position would he be in to trash Yamaha when he himself was riding so poorly?

#339 Risil

Risil

• 12,218 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 23:00

What position would he be in to trash Yamaha when he himself was riding so poorly?

I imagine he was a bit annoyed at the way his bike fell to bits all the time.

Advertisement

#340 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 542 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 13:58

Weren't you the one questioning whether arm pump was a real condition or not? I think you are.

Was Edwards ever good enough to deserve the best equipment? I don't see how this compares to Stoner at all.

It compares directly. The issue is how you maintain and build relationships, particuarly with your employer. Colin has a loud personality, but does not criticize his employer. He enthusiastically uses his personality in their marketing efforts (see the mancation). After he won his last WSBK title he thought he should have had the Repsol Honda seat which went to Nicky Hayden. He complained that he had been kissing the wrong section of Honda's rear (the Japanese guys instead of American Honda). He learned and changed his approach when he went to Yamaha.

In contrast, Casey goes into great detail on the faults of just about everyone around him, including those building the bike. He still gets paid well, and is in demand for his speed. But will he get a push start out of a gravel trap because of the goodwill of others?

#341 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 731 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:37

Well, if they were to take the Stoner route, they'd be in WSBK right now. When you carry the cachet that Stoner carries, you can pretty much say whatever you want and still be in demand.

People are different, and Stoner is one of those guys who has a problem with every little thing. I don't think it's that he so much more honest than everybody else. Rather, I think he's just orders of magnitude more negative than the average person in the paddock.

#342 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 731 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:39

:up:

Stoner's simply a special type of guy.

#343 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,533 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 15:39

:up:

Stoner's simply a special type of guy.

Yeah,
Special......... :stoned:

#344 bigarthurisgod

bigarthurisgod

• 364 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 17:43

About time too.
Stll remember his Valencia 2001 victory as one of the best races I've seen.

#345 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,275 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:11

Yep he was really going very well, winning the 250cc title in his first season and then all of a sudden he got a meltdown. I hope he does well there and maybe in the future he can get back to WSBK or something. :)

#346 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 22:48

I like the new Honda colors.

#347 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,455 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 00:39

Agree re: Edwards.

I wish I could take credit for this but I saw this on Twitter today and had to share:

Stoner = brilliant rider who's had a charisma bypass.

Come to think of it, he must be the most uncharismatic racer I've ever rooted for. But heck, he was fast and took no prisoners. Thats what I liked about him.

If only HRC could get him even for some wildcards...

#348 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 142 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:42

Come to think of it, he must be the most uncharismatic racer I've ever rooted for.

I won't say that. His problem is that he thinks the world is against him.

#349 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,788 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 17:56

Some team colors for this season :

Kawasaki WSBK
Posted Image

Max Neukirchner WSBK
Posted Image

ParkinGO Augusta WSS
Posted Image

#350 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 19:18

Provec Kawasaki 2013 (2 higher res pictures)
http://www.p1race.hu...wasaki_20130201

BE1-ParkinGO MV-Agusta 2013 (also 2 higher res pics):
http://www.p1race.hu...ustaja_20130201