2013 - MotoGP, WSB, Moto2, WSP, AMA, BSB

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4602 replies to this topic

#3851 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:32

A clear case of timing stats proving nothing whatsoever.  ...

Of course they prove something, read the quote they were in response to. Context!

Advertisement

#3852 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:44

Marquez has fallen off once in a race.  The other 11 don't count. 

All of the riders have fallen off - care to give us their stats too?

The other 11 don't count, really ? I'm sure Dani and Jorge will be pleased to hear you can't get injured in practice :rolleyes:

Cruthclow had 10 or 11, the stats were in the Toby Moody column, which has gone behind the paywall.

#3853 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:01

Of course they prove something, read the quote they were in response to. Context!

Dunno about context - it's a translation I want

Way to be completely and utterly wrong in order to shift the blame to Pedrosa though.

#3854 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:21

The other 11 don't count, really ? I'm sure Dani and Jorge will be pleased to hear you can't get injured in practice :rolleyes:

Cruthclow had 10 or 11, the stats were in the Toby Moody column, which has gone behind the paywall.

Marquez has had crashes in practice, when he's gone about finding how far he can push the bike.  It appears that once he knows the limits, he races inside them.  His limits are greater than the others, which causes them a problem when they try to keep up.

Given the way tracks have changed in recent years, I'd say it's a lot harder to end up with an injury - perhaps Marquez chooses where to fall off.  Pedrosa falls off so often, I reckon he's plain clumsy.  Lorenzo made a rookey error in hitting the white line in the wet.

I've found all the recent Toby Moody columns, they ain't behind the paywall.

http://plus.autospor...-down-to-earth/

Links down the right hand side to all his articles back to 2012.

Oh - Marquez knows more than others about the consequences of practice accidents - one cost him a world championship.

#3855 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 389 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:32

This incident is unpunishable. So were Jerez's and Laguna's due to Rossi's precedents. Marquez is innocent and he knows it, he knows what he's doing. There really isn't much to discuss here. If they want to be less permissive with contact IN THE FUTURE, they will need to be clear about what is and isnt allowed and penalise accordingly from that point on, not retrospectively.

Pedrosa was very unlucky. The TC should at least default to a low power mode when sensor signal fails, then as soon as the rider is aware of the problem he can manually reset it to the preferred engine management mode to finish the race without TC. This could still end up in a crash if someone is close behind though.

#3856 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:42

If the FIM/Dorna start to punish knocks, bangs and pushing in races - that would be the end of close racing.  F1 has already gone overboard by investigating every touch during a race, with all the video being checked, along with telemetry - and they still get it wrong.  If MotoGP followed suit, every race would be a procession or a complete farce.

#3857 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:11

A clear case of timing stats proving nothing whatsoever.  At the time of his accident Pedrosa was second and Marquez was right up his chuff.  Despite his faster laps, Pedrosa wasn't getting away from Marquez, he was just catching Lorenzo.  Once the Honda pair had passed Lorenzo, the real race would have started and no one will ever know if Pedrosa would have stayed in front over the remaining laps - or if Marquez really cared that much about beating Pedrosa, given the points difference.

I can't tell if you're being serious.

#3858 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 22:54

Word is that Ryan Farquhar is considering a shock comeback to racing, with a view to running a twin in BSB.

#3859 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:42

Red Bull Rookies champion Karel Hanika will be riding for Red Bull Ajo in Moto3 next season. Off the top of my head, I think he'll be the first rookies champion to go straight on to a top bike. Will be interesting to see how well he goes - might be tough with Jack Miller as his team mate.

Advertisement

#3860 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:22

90% certain, Sam Lowes, Yakhnich and MV Agusta, WSBK in 2014

http://www.gpone.com...ign=gponedotcom

#3861 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:27

This guy is the resident wind up artist. Don't fall prey...

If you were to put one guy on your ignore list, he'd be the guy.... Fair warning :lol:

Edited by BMW4life, 04 October 2013 - 13:28.

#3862 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 18:07

Danny Kent is leaving Tech 3 at the end of the season.

http://www.bikesport...nd&newsid=10630

#3863 Pharazon

Pharazon

• 1,126 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 18:25

lets hope he finds a place with another team

#3864 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,460 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 19:47

This guy is the resident wind up artist. Don't fall prey...

If you were to put one guy on your ignore list, he'd be the guy.... Fair warning :lol:

Unfortunately you don't realise you are far more likely to be on  peoples ignore list than Youichi ever was.

You've been spouting complete hog wash since the start of the season on here to be honest but because I am such a nice chap I have not mentioned up to now.

Ask an adult to proof read some of your stuff before you post and we all will be a lot happier I am sure.

:up:

Edited by Andy35, 04 October 2013 - 19:48.

#3865 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 20:08

Moto Journal are saying that Danny Kent's replacement at Tech 3 will be Alex MariƱelarena.

#3866 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:01

90% certain, Sam Lowes, Yakhnich and MV Agusta, WSBK in 2014

http://www.gpone.com...ign=gponedotcom

Put sam in Moto2, blitz the field, then give him a ride at Tech 3 in Motogp then move on up to replace Rossi, the kid is ridiculous.

#3867 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:47

Danny Kent is leaving Tech 3 at the end of the season.

http://www.bikesport...nd&newsid=10630

Danny has only scored 8 points this year, after coming into Moto2 as a race winner.  Okay, it's a jump because there are so many very experienced riders in Moto2, but it appears Tech 3 has wasted his year with a crap bike.  Let's hope he can prove himself next year with a better team.

#3868 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:51

THe Mistral is a total dog, always has been only has one team doing all the development so its not a surprise that Danny is leaving.

I would imagine he would rather tout for a ride on a Suter or a Kalex, would be far better off and far more able to assess how he is doing.

As for the Moody stuff, the bloke is a hired up Marques fanboy, always has been coz he makes his job easy, even when he was skittling into people in Moto2 he was so far up there he smelt of Redbull and Repsol, like the rest of the media and Dorna

#3869 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:09

Unfortunately you don't realise you are far more likely to be on  peoples ignore list than Youichi ever was.

You've been spouting complete hog wash since the start of the season on here to be honest but because I am such a nice chap I have not mentioned up to now.

Ask an adult to proof read some of your stuff before you post and we all will be a lot happier I am sure.

:up:

You're the one who needs the help with reading.... You'd eventually realize that my post was indeed directed at Youichi, but it actually wasn't about him, at all. It was about the poster he resp... never mind. I routinely jump the gun, like you just did but I always own up when someone points it out, and, unlike you, I'm not even the nicest chap you'll ever meet.  :lol:

#3870 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:31

As for the Moody stuff, the bloke is a hired up Marques fanboy, always has been coz he makes his job easy, even when he was skittling into people in Moto2 he was so far up there he smelt of Redbull and Repsol, like the rest of the media and Dorna

A rookie sensation being praised by a journalist/commentator? Say it ain't so. And how many other riders did Marquez apparently skittle into during his two years of Moto2?

I put your post down to bitterness.

#3871 Rob

Rob

• 8,273 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 20:35

Gino Rea will be riding for the AGR team at Malaysia, Australia and Japan as a replacement for the injured Alberto Moncayo in Moto2.

#3872 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:01

For the first time in 5 years, i'm not at Magny Cours :(

Great pic from Davies yesterday :)

BV1lDVmIgAAq1Jt.jpg

#3873 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:31

Elias  :rotfl:

#3874 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:37

Big fan of Sykes and Kawasaki but Green and Martin make it very difficult supporting a British rider. 

#3875 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:41

Toni Elias chasing a ride at Kawasaki, can't see that happening after his performance in Race 1.  Not that Baz or Sykes are in danger of losing their seats.

#3876 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:45

Toni Elias chasing a ride at Kawasaki, can't see that happening after his performance in Race 1.  Not that Baz or Sykes are in danger of losing their seats.

There are possibly 6 factory Kawasakis next year, not many better than Elias available. He has never raced here before, had an engine failure in the only dry session and has done 3? rounds on a superbike. 

#3877 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:03

There are possibly 6 factory Kawasakis next year, not many better than Elias available. He has never raced here before, had an engine failure in the only dry session and has done 3? rounds on a superbike. 

WSBK needs an influx of talent -  Spies, Hayden, some coming up from the other 1,000 class.

#3878 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:04

Another fire !  That's 3 today, including Webber in F1.

#3879 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:10

WSBK needs an influx of talent -  Spies, Hayden, some coming up from the other 1,000 class.

Hayden is with Aspar and AFAIK Spies isn't going anywhere in 2014. No shortage of talent with Elias and he is only 30.

Would love to see another real talent on a factory Kawasaki. Baz is not there yet. 

Advertisement

#3880 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:16

Sam Lowes  :clap:

Yakhnich  :clap:

Chris Iddon great 3rd (always thought you cause a red flag you don't get classified) 

#3881 Nova

Nova

• 7,179 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:32

What's with Haslam? I thought of him as the next big thing, but has been beaten soundly by Rea and now Fabrizio.

#3882 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 16:08

The genius of Eurosport and how tv directors who go on courses seem to think we all want to see results and race replays, rather than the actual real stuff of fan reaction, rider reaction and proper interaction

I really detest watching the end of races on tv, directors are so obsessed with showing us results we can get anywhere, and then showing a race replay when the riders are celebrating on track, which is after all what we all are interested in.

So bad it makes me cross to the core!

#3883 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 16:22

All motorsport on telly could be improved, but all too often the directors are working to another agenda, like showing as much of the trackside advertising as they can get away with.  Now they've got highspeed & HD cameras, they believe we want to see loads of slow-motion closeups.  F1 have got thermal cameras, so we're having to suffer lap after lap of the races in the bloody dark.  The worse has to be MotoGP's 'arse cam'.  Who wants to see minute after minute of Rossi's backside?  No one, but we got it, in spades.

As for crowd/pit reactions.  Why don't the teams tell the pit camera crews to go away?

#3884 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 17:07

It is a legacy of university and people who think they know better trying to portfolio their careers, as they don't see sport as what they really want to do, its is just stop off point towards making their own shows.

You just had a bloke winning a race on the line, who is pretty beaten up, is obviously delighted, and yet we simply MUST have results, we MUST have a replay of the race. What we want to see is his reaction, a bit of team reaction and most importantly his reaction with Lowes, the crowd and his peers on track. But no, some **** in a box who isn't slightly interested in bike racing, is so rigid he just does exactly what he does every time, so regimented. Soul less.

They cant think on their feet.

Can you imagine what would have happened in the 90's when Rossi was up to all his antics?  The thing with the portaloo? Claudia Schiffer, Dorna missed Lornezo in the pool and only shoed it on replay after the stupid results! there is no way we would have seen this live now, it would be results, manufacturers points!  I mean who really gives a shit, they tell you what is going on in the middle of the race, you don't need to know the instant it is over!

Such a shame, as in most tv this is not what happens, you see every wart, yet in motorsport, other than F1 thankfully, who have grown out of the Erja Hakkinen obsession, all tv editors think we want to see is what they want to see or what some teacher has told them.  Very poor.

#3885 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 18:52

What's with Haslam? I thought of him as the next big thing, but has been beaten soundly by Rea and now Fabrizio.

The problem with Haslam is that you never know if he's riding at 100% fitness. 

#3886 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:00

Aprilia riders.  :lol:  :up:

#3887 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:17

Why red flag the WSBK race. It was the last lap for crying out loud. Would have made Sykes champion today.

Whats the point of having flag to flag rules and then red flaging it simply because a couple of riders (hilariously) fell off. The rules dictate riders will have to race on a wet track on slicks at some stage.

Edited by DS27, 06 October 2013 - 21:19.

#3888 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:42

Oh, for anyone who missed the 2nd BSB race, you should try and find coverage of James Ellisons save - never seen anything quite like it!

#3889 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 22:31

What on earth is the point in running a race again for two laps DS?  No rider is going to come into the pits to change bikes with two laps to run, and the race will be red flagged anyway if it rains too much. And if you want to be the race director that forces riders to race on slicks in the wet, on your head be it sonshine, as you wont last long in that job!

The rule is stupid, always has been and is only there because of bloody tv, it hardly ever gets used, pace cars usually sort 95% of issues out.

Boring race anyway tbh, WSB is a bit of a yawnfest, WSS is always the best race, been that way for years, Superstock too.

#3890 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 5,951 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:21

Lowes in Moto2 is an exciting thing, hopefully it's a competitive machine. First year of MV in Superbike doesn't sound very promising so I think Moto2 is a step up from that.

#3891 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,902 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:01

He'll race for Speed Up, but will keep working with Yakhnich for PR work. That doesn't make too much sense to me.  :drunk:

#3892 DS27

DS27

• 1,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 18:44

What on earth is the point in running a race again for two laps DS?  No rider is going to come into the pits to change bikes with two laps to run, and the race will be red flagged anyway if it rains too much. And if you want to be the race director that forces riders to race on slicks in the wet, on your head be it sonshine, as you wont last long in that job!

The rule is stupid, always has been and is only there because of bloody tv, it hardly ever gets used, pace cars usually sort 95% of issues out.

Boring race anyway tbh, WSB is a bit of a yawnfest, WSS is always the best race, been that way for years, Superstock too.

Er...1) I said nothing about re-running a race for 2 laps, where did you get that from. I said let them finish the race as they were on the last lap.

2) Are you getting confused with Moto GP (surprising with your knowledge) - WSBK don't change bikes - they change wheels / tyres

3) At a WSBK race earlier this year, many riders raced lap after lap on slicks on a wet track, and surprisingly few fell off. In fact the one rider who tried to hang it out all the way could have won had the race been a couple of laps shorter.

4) The rules there for tv - yep, just like the WSBK series in fact. You think it would exist without it.

Other than that...... oh, I agree that SS is and has been great, and that includes the British series.

#3893 chunder27

chunder27

• 1,054 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 19:06

Well to be honest knowing about rules is hardly something I give two hoots about, these two bike rules are a total waste of time and I thought they were brought into both series? Says it all really.

if not then what the hell is the point in allowing two bikes in WSB, utterly pointless, these guy should really learn off BSB about how to run a superbike championship!

The wet race rules were perfectly alright the way they were, allow the riders to make the call then have a rerun.

#3894 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 00:32

Speed Up? Sheesh. The red flag in WSBK to me was just to stop the championship being decided then and there. No need to red flag that, same as Supersport race, one rider fell off and there was a big gap. But...better safe than sorry i guess!

#3895 MuZzer

MuZzer

• 78 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 19:20

Oh, for anyone who missed the 2nd BSB race, you should try and find coverage of James Ellisons save - never seen anything quite like it!

The 2 superbike races were truly awesome. Great stuff from Lowes and Shakey, but the finish in race 2 was Byrne putting it all on the line for a 12 thousandth of a second win. Phew!

Congrats to Sam for clinching the title, the day after Tai Woffinden became world speedway champion. 2 Brit winners and both only 23.

#3896 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,432 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 19:22

I look forward to the day the Lowes' are fighting in a dual for the MotoGP title. :smoking:

#3897 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 21:11

Sofoglu tried Moto2 and wasn't that great and Lowes battled him all year to win this title, hopefully he can adjust quickly to those bikes because if we use Sofoglu as a barometer it doesn't look very promising!

#3898 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:11

GPOne has a good piece on Marquez's hearing and possible penalties (Translation necessary) http://www.gpone.com...ign=gponedotcom

Some points

Article. 21.1, second paragraph , requires pilots to "behave responsibly so as not to cause danger to his opponents on the track or pit-lane [...] Any infringement will be penalized with one of the following measures: penalty points, location of the race, ride-through, penalization of time, loss of position in the starting grid in the next GP, disqualification, cancellation of points in the championship. "

MotoGP has never penalised by a loss of points, drive through and other race penalties are no longer possible so it could only be grid punishment at Sepang or disquallification from Sepang. Lorenzo and Capirossi have been disqualified from races as a penalty in 2005 and 1999.

Legally speaking, if the accident excludes the intent remains the blame. With hasty in his return trajectory, Marquez has touched the bike Pedrosa. It does not count the intentional or not, but the damage caused.

Marquez must be punished for the actions of their recidivism. For example, it was already penalized two points on the license after the tragedy touched at Silverstone in WUP (when he ignored the yellow flags)

He already has 2 points against him, points penalties are four points: starting from the back of the grid in the next GP; 7 points: starting from the pit lane in the next GP; 10 points: disqualification for the next GP
Livio Suppo says the randomness of the damage should result in a mild punishment like a fine.

Last year he was sent to the back of the grid after 3 infringements so history would indicate a minor punishment.

#3899 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 19,237 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:41

Back of the grid in Moto 2 & 3 is a real punishment. Much less with the insipid field of MotoGP.

I'd like to see Marquez start from the back. Preferably at Philip Island. I reckon he'll be a lot faster than everyone there, the high speed corner that Stoner owned ... I reckon Marquez will be the same there, with a clear advantage over the rest of the field - just like Stoner had. Excluding if its really windy, I don't know what Marquez's like in very strong winds (it can get very windy at Philip Island). The strange thing with him though, is that Marquez seems to control his speed in the races ... so from the back of the grid at Philip Island - spectacular! I really wish ...

Edited by Melbourne Park, 10 October 2013 - 00:43.

Advertisement

#3900 chumma

chumma

• 998 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 00:00

Pretty disappointed with Lorenzo's comments, seems very bitter, not really acknowledging what Marc has done, and basically putting it down to the speed of the Honda, and the injuries of himself and Dani, even quote the '30 points behind Dani' but didn't want to include the reason why (a fall at Mugello), thought Jorge was better than that, it will make watching Marc destroy him even better than it already was. Also, he likes to quote about he started crashing after his good results etc, but he hasn't acknowledged the fact that Marc is better than Jorge was. Jorge was very fast but erratic, Marc is very fast and, it may look wild, but its a controlled wild. I think Jorge is just struggling to get to grips with the fact that Marc, in his first season, is equal to Jorge after he went through the motions/crashes etc and matured to be champion.