Photo

Formula III race (Bridgehampton, 1951)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RCampbell

RCampbell

• 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:43

The fourth race of the Bridgehampton Road Races (1951) is described by Road and Track (August 1951) as the "first genuine road race on this continent for 500cc cars".

Four cars started -- two Effyh's (John Fitch and Bob Grier) and two Coopers (Phil Walters and Peter Dillnutt). There is a photo in Road and Track that pictures two, almost identical silver Effyh's. One is car "77" and the number is not seen on the other car. According to the article, Grier and Walters dropped out in the first lap due to ignition troubles. The scheduled six lap race was shortened to four laps, and Fitch came in first with an average speed of 71mph.

I can't find a listing for the race. Can anyone tell me whether Fitch was in car "77" or in the other car. (I'm guessing he was in "77", because the driver appears taller than the other driver. I know Fitch was tall -- but I can only assume he was taller than Grier.)

The Vanderbilt Cup Races Blog has a brief article about the Effyh's at Bridgehampton, with some images (including a photo of the "77"car), but it doesn't have the photo of the two cars that appears in Road and Track. Vanderbilt Cup Races Blog - Effyh's at Bridgehampton

Thanks,

RCampbell

Advertisement

#2 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 16:11

Fitch was in the polished 77, owned by Charles Kotchan (having previously driven the car at Giant's Despair). It is most likely the same car in the Vanderbilt blog (although polishing seems to have been popular with American Effyhs)
Grier is in the darker Effyh, 17. There is a difference of opinion about the cause of his retirement - some say ignition, some say spin & stall. Either (or both) are fair game for 500s.
Car 99 is Peter Dillnut in the navy blue Canadian Cooper Mk IV. Owned by Charles Wheaton, this is supposed to be the first 500 to reach the Continent.
Missing is 88 - Phil Walters in the Briggs Cunningham Cooper Mk V.

#3 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:04

If you're researching the Effyh, I see that the index has a listing for a "track test/driving impression" of the Effyh 500cc in Motor Trend magazine, October 1951, three pages. I don't have that issue.

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,469 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 00:49

Oddly enough, I do have that issue in a massive pile about to get sold.