Photo

Harry Galloway & his cars

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:27

A friend has asked me to find out information on Harry, the cars he built, repaired & modified.

The main questions is how many cars did he build under the name Hargal & Galloway, is there a chance of listing these cars in sequence & where are these cars now.

A big ask but i am sure that TNF's can assist.

Advertisement

#2 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:47

It would be worth talking to Dave Mawer and Elwyn Bickley, Dan.

#3 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:03

It would be worth talking to Dave Mawer and Elwyn Bickley, Dan.

Thanks Greg, at present I do not have the time, involved in too many other projects at the present time.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12

He worked initially, as I understand it, for Nota...

The Hargal (Harry Galloway) was built for David Medley either during or immediately after that time. It had a BMC 1100 engine to begin with, but later was changed to Corolla.

Later he worked for Big Dave and during that time did that engine change. If I remember correctly, Dave told me that the front engine mount for the Corolla engine was an exercise in doing a monocoque type of construction - it was the oil tank too, as I recall.

Dave then gave him free rein on the building of the Mawer Formula Ford before Harry went to England where he worked for Surtees.

On his return he built the Galloway FAtlantic/F2 car, then when Graeme McClintock wrote off the Hargal Clubman he replaced that car with the Galloway that is still around today.

I frankly don't know if he built any other cars, but Paul Hamilton might chime in on that.

#5 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:30

Harry lived at Woolgoolga in the early 1970s and was running in local hillclimbs and sprints in a self built clubman type car which, I think, was powered by a B Series BMC engine. I remember it being road registered.

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:58

Thanks Greg, at present I do not have the time, involved in too many other projects at the present time.

I'm thinkin....no pain, no gain, about now :rolleyes:

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:33

Originally posed by Dick Willis
Harry lived at Woolgoolga in the early 1970s and was running in local hillclimbs and sprints in a self built clubman type car which, I think, was powered by a B Series BMC engine. I remember it being road registered.

It was blue, wasn't it Dick?

So that would likely have been his first car? I would think he moved to Woolgoolga about 1968 or 1969, the Medley Hargal was built there.

#8 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 21:58

The Hargal (Harry Galloway) was built for David Medley either during or immediately after that time. It had a BMC 1100 engine to begin with, but later was changed to Corolla.

Later he worked for Big Dave and during that time did that engine change. If I remember correctly, Dave told me that the front engine mount for the Corolla engine was an exercise in doing a monocoque type of construction - it was the oil tank too, as I recall.

Dave then gave him free rein on the building of the Mawer Formula Ford before Harry went to England where he worked for Surtees.

On his return he built the Galloway FAtlantic/F2 car, then when Graeme McClintock wrote off the Hargal Clubman he replaced that car with the Galloway that is still around today.

I frankly don't know if he built any other cars, but Paul Hamilton might chime in on that.

I think Harry's first car was the blue, 'B' series engined clubman which was road registered and I suspect he may still have that. David Medley's Hargal would have been next built during Harry's time with Nota at Parramatta in the late 60's. One of Harry's jobs at Nota was a skillful repair of the chassis of my Turner after I backed it through the Warwick Farm pit counter in 1969. Guy Buckingham underquoted for the repair and took the job on without consulting Harry who has never forgiven me as he says the chassis should have been trashed and replaced completely!!

Harry left Nota to go to the UK where he worked for Surtees. His job at Nota was taken by Dave Mawer who then left to set up Mawer Engineering, initially in his dad's back yard at Ashfield, then at Lapish Avenue Ashfield and eventually in Ford St Greenacre where Harry joined him on his return from the UK around 1973.

While at Ford St with Dave, Harry was responsible for the re-engineering of the 'Yellow Submarine' Mildren for Ray Winter's use in F2 replacing the rear half of the monocoque with a March style detachable space frame structure. He was also heavily involved in the construction of the Mawer 004 Formula Ford and teamed up with Paul Bernasconi to run the car with great success. Paul also worked at Mawer Engineering so it was a real team effort.

The Galloway Formula Atlantic car came after the Mawer Engineering period.

#9 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51

In 1968/69 David Medley was entered at Bathurst in a 1100cc Nota then in 1970 there was a joint driver combination, G.McClintock / D Medley driving a car called the Schazum Sportsman with a Carolla power plant.

Is this car in fact the Hargal Clubman in its initial Nota form then the Schazum, after it was modified by Lyall Gray during the fitting of the Corolla Motor or are the 2 different cars.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:18

Three different cars...

The Nota didn't morph into anything else, the Schazum and the Hargal were fresh cars.

#11 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:12

On his return he built the Galloway when Graeme McClintock wrote off the Hargal Clubman he replaced that car with the Galloway that is still around today.

Are there any photo's of the Hargal, when & where did it meet its end.

#12 John Ellacott

John Ellacott

• 160 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:59

I understand Harry Galloway restored the Ceoghegan Lotus 32 which arrives from Europe for next weekends Tasman Revival at Eastern Creek.
Now owned and driven by Peter Studer from Switzerland, he has kept it in the Total Team colours of the mid sixties.

#13 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:38

From memory, the FAtlantic/F2 car was written off in a crash in NZ, but the clubman is very much alive today and driven well by Justin McLintock, who has entered the car in the sports car races at the HSRCA Tasman Revival meeting at Sydney Motorsport Park (Nov. 23-25 2012).

Graeme McLintock at Amaroo Park,
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Justin checking to see where the opposition has gone at an historic meeting at Oran Park.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:37

The Galloway FAtlantic car did meet its end in New Zealand, Andrew Miedecke breaking his legs in the crash.

The Hargal met its end at Lakeside c1986, a front suspension rod end being exposed to wear on the hotmix coming onto the straight wore far enough through to collapse and send the car into its death throes.

It was replaced by the Galloway Clubman. Among other things, this car was significantly longer in the wheelbase and it incorporated a lot of detail changes. This is the car Justin McClintock races today.

Edited by Ray Bell, 17 November 2012 - 15:49.

#15 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:57

Thanks to all for your input, your commnents have been passed on to the person that iniaticed my asking TNF for help.

#16 RW7

RW7

• 208 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:27

The Galloway FAtlantic car did meet its end in New Zealand, Andrew Miedecke breaking his legs in the crash.

The Hargal met its end at Lakeside c1986, a front suspension rod end being exposed to wear on the hotmix coming onto the straight wore far enough through to collapse and send the car into its death throes.

It was replaced by the Galloway Clubman. Among other things, this car was significantly longer in the wheelbase and it incorporated a lot of detail changes. This is the car Justin McClintock races today.

Graeme's shunt was in 1983 Ray. He was lucky to be fit and being Graeme, never admitted how badly injured he was. Full throttle, downhill onto the straight in top gear. Thank God for modern safety harnesses!