United States Grand Prix Free Practice 3 and Qualifying thread

• Please log in to reply
495 replies to this topic

#301 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:10

Sebastian and Lewis :up: :up:
What's so wrong with giving credit to both of them?

I know right, they both drove incredibly. Class of the field today and during most Saturdays.

Advertisement

#302 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

An unbelievable performance from Hamilton. Matching a 1s a lap faster car. Unfortunately nobody will remember.

:rotfl:

For all we know the McLaren should have been 1s quicker than Vettel. All we know is that these two cars in these two drivers hands were very closely matched this Q.

Edited by F.M., 17 November 2012 - 19:11.

#303 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,079 posts

Vettel and especially Hamilton :up: :up: :up:

Surprised Alonso only 9th, Button out of luck, shame :/

#304 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:12

One can only hope that Alonso sacrificed qualy setup for race pace.

#305 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:13

Love him or loathe him he's never boring. Looked for all the world through practise and Q1/Q2 that it was going to be a Seb procession but Hamilton made it interesting. Great job from Grosjean, MS and Massa too. Really enjoyable session in the end!

#306 StefanArak

StefanArak

• 191 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:13

for all we know the McLaren should have been 1s quicker than Vettel.

Not that I necessarily agree with the post you quoted, but this is absolutely ridiculous. You make it sound like there is absolutely no way to compare performances between teams whilst attempting to take into account the pace of the car with even any accuracy. If you find anything reputable to support that at all, let me know.

Edited by StefanArak, 17 November 2012 - 19:15.

#307 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,775 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:14

Lewis fantastic as ever :up: :up:

#308 toroRosso

toroRosso

• 287 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:16

An unbelievable performance from Hamilton. Matching a 1s a lap faster car. Unfortunately nobody will remember.

Joke or not :lol:

#309 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,287 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:17

Amazing job by Hamilton and Vettel but come on guys also give some respect to Schumacher. He smashed Rosberg and put that pretty crap Mercedes on P6, i think he did a fantastic job today, it makes me sad he hasn't gotten a good car in all his comeback years with Mercedes.

#310 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Not that I necessarily agree with the post you quoted, but this is absolutely ridiculous. You make it sound like there is absolutely no way to compare performances between teams whilst attempting to take into account the pace of the car with even any accuracy. If you find anything reputable to support that at all, let me know.

Read my entire post. The forum is acting up and not all got through the first time.

Edit: and my edit was 5 minutes before your post....

Edited by F.M., 17 November 2012 - 19:18.

#311 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

For all we know the McLaren should have been 1s quicker than Vettel. All we know is that these two cars in these two drivers hands were very closely matched this Q.

If it's not obvious that the RedBull is the superior car, than I can't help you.

#312 Coral

Coral

• 2,714 posts

Great job by Sebastian and Lewis. They are the Masters of Qualy! :up: :up: :up:

#313 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:18

Nonsense. If McLaren is one second off RBR pace then it is on par with MGP which I don't think is the case.

Edited by exmayol, 17 November 2012 - 19:19.

#314 toroRosso

toroRosso

• 287 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:19

If it's not obvious that the RedBull is the superior car, than I can't help you.

What license do you have? :cat:

Btw Im not saying RB isn't fast or fastest..

Edited by toroRosso, 17 November 2012 - 19:21.

#315 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,774 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:19

Well Ferrari can always let Massa retire, that'll promote Alonso one place.

#316 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:20

Sebastian and Lewis showing how good they are.

#317 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,660 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:21

Why hasn't the world been given the opportunity to witness Hamilton and Vettel in an RBR together, it would be season that could realistically be the greatest.

Shame, both absolutely supreme and getting 100% out of the car.

#318 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:22

People overreacting as usual.

The track was getting faster all the time and same for the tyres. It's hard to tell what everyone's ultimate pace was.

#319 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Excellent performance by Vettel especially considering he missed 55 mins of practice yesterday.

Advertisement

#320 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Amazing job by Hamilton and Vettel but come on guys also give some respect to Schumacher. He smashed Rosberg and put that pretty crap Mercedes on P6, i think he did a fantastic job today, it makes me sad he hasn't gotten a good car in all his comeback years with Mercedes.

Of course, hope this race gives him the opportunity to end his career on a high once more :up: :up:

#321 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

What Ron Dennis will miss next year....

#322 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,550 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:24

Yes and I have never doubted that he has lost none of his ability, he's obviously gotten into a grove because the tyres needed to go through a longer warm up phase he was able to bring them more predictably into a state where he knew what they were gonna do. Schumacher is still the best its just a matter of the modern format and particular car.

#323 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

I guess it's hard to give credit if you think RB is 2 seconds faster than the Mclaren. :smoking:

Exactly, there's no reason to believe there wasn't much between these 2 cars in qualifying today, Ham made 2 laps .15 between each other at the end there.

#324 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 451 posts

Amazing drive from Vettel once again. He caught some crazy slides that could've ended badly. Hamilton got everything out of the car also. Shame that Alonso is so far back when thinking about the excitement for the next race.

#325 swerved

swerved

• 3,593 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:25

Cracking lap from Vettel 36 ploes from 100 starts, 36!!!!

Polemeister :)

#326 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,550 posts

Great job by Sebastian and Lewis. They are the Masters of Qualy! :up: :up: :up:

All it proves is Seb is better than Webber but he aint better than Lewis, nowhere near as good in fact.

#327 femi

femi

• 6,203 posts

I really hope (for Hamilton) that Mercedes improves a lot next season...

They will certainly get there, don't know about next year though and when they do, I believe they are going to be consistent pretty much like RB of the last 3 years. Mclaren will always be a disappointment.

Did anyone notice MW struggling to acknowledge that LH put in a great drive?

Edited by femi, 17 November 2012 - 19:28.

#328 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,434 posts

That lap from Vettel was very good, but the advantage that car has through T16-17-18 is stupendous! He could run through those with DRS open for a good while! Team-mate Webber just didn't seem to have the same grip available. What was the car-problem he touched on in the PC? Anyone knows? Probably KERS again....

-Hamilton has pulled off a fantastic qualifying again, and that Q3-lap was unreal. Nobody expected to see Vettel being pushed hard today, but Hamilton stepped forward. Mechanical problems again for McLaren, which means Button is down in 12th. ....I think the gap to Hamilton would have been nasty though, had he reached Q3.

-Impressive showing from Grosjean today, being just that smidgen quicker than Räikkönen on every lap. Räikkönen inherits fourth with Grosjean's five place drop.

-Refreshing to see a well-performing Schumacher! I think he got very inspired by getting to Q3, and then extra energized when Rosberg failed to.
....but where did Rosberg's pace go?? Then again he was living dangerously anyway, as he set his fastest S1-time in Q2, under waved yellows.

-A bit upside-down at Ferrari today, with Massa lapping faster than Alonso all day. Ninth on the grid, and three plus tenths off your team-mate; bad timing, Alonso!

-As expected, Hülkenberg had a very good day, going eight fastest and then lining up a nice seventh, and on the clean side.

-Asking where Rosberg's pace went, one has got to do the same regarding Maldonado. So quick on a colder track this morning, but a massively dissapointing tenth when it counts. Maybe it was the temps influencing them negatively? Or did they use up all options prior to Q3? Had he done the time from third fre and Q2, he would have qualified a more respectable eight.
An OK job by Senna today. 11th on the grid.

-Well done to Vergne putting the car 14th, especially after losing the proper Q-sims in third free.

-Sauber had their eyes glued on Mercedes' scalp, but today has been dissapointing. Perez being told by his engineer that he went six tenths slower than in third free..... Did anyone else lose pace like that?

-Pic got applause in Abu Dhabi, but today you've got to tip your hat to Glock. Well done!

Edited by race addicted, 17 November 2012 - 19:35.

#329 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,453 posts

People overreacting as usual.

The track was getting faster all the time and same for the tyres. It's hard to tell what everyone's ultimate pace was.

Spot on :up: You saw the times went downhill to the end. I think that's the reason Hamilton had a chance to sniff at Sebs time and Fernando is down the grid. You had to be at the right time at the right point on the track

#330 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,453 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:28

Yes and I have never doubted that he has lost none of his ability, he's obviously gotten into a grove because the tyres needed to go through a longer warm up phase he was able to bring them more predictably into a state where he knew what they were gonna do. Schumacher is still the best its just a matter of the modern format and particular car.

Don't think he is the best (Vettel, Ham, Alo are better) but I would him above Webber or Button and that's quite telling for man of his age.

#331 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 993 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:29

Hamilton :cry:

#332 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,147 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:30

Very disappointed by Maldonado
He had plenty of laps in Q3 but was nowhere

These tires are frustrating at times

#333 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,223 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:31

Definitely, the 1s stuff is absolute BS. Amazing laps from both of them but a bit more impressive from Lewis, especially to go purple in S1 where the RB prob has a bit of an advantage.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 17 November 2012 - 19:32.

#334 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,454 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:33

Awesome by the top 2. And Michael did a good job.

And it wasn't the best time for Alonso to start making mistakes. But it isn't lost yet. He just has to survive T1.

Edited by Diablobb81, 17 November 2012 - 19:33.

#335 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:34

Exactly, there's no reason to believe there wasn't much between these 2 cars in qualifying today, Ham made 2 laps .15 between each other at the end there.

Apart from watching how the cars were going round the track. They just compared the laps on sky. The RB was opening DRS amazingly early, for instance..

Damon Hill seems to think Hamilton is pulling out a performance that the car doesn't really have.

#336 Topsu

Topsu

• 737 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:36

Apart from watching how the cars were going round the track. They just compared the laps on sky. The RB was opening DRS amazingly early, for instance..

Damon Hill seems to think Hamilton is pulling out a performance that the car doesn't really have.

That's just some major ass Alonso-level bullshit.

#337 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Anthony Davidson downplaying Hamilton as usual.

#338 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,267 posts

I'd love to see those two in the same team, fk fernando

#339 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:37

Whats davidsons problem? Even though two superior drivers are contridicting him?

Advertisement

#340 Mario5

Mario5

• 263 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:38

Because with Hamilton fans, Vettel is always flattered by his car and it's the other way around with Hamilton. Vettel can win 7 championships and he'd always be behind Hamilton in their eyes.

#341 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:39

Anthony Davidson downplaying Hamilton as usual.

What did he say? I don't have any working stream ....

#342 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

What did Davidson say about Lewis?

#343 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 1,918 posts

If the car does a certain time, that obviously means it's capable of doing said time. Damon Hill knows that, I have to assume he's just playing along with the usual media-cheerleading.

Anyway, the track isn't as disappointing as I had thought it would be, though I'm still of the opinion that a good number of corners could've been cut. When did a 1:20 laptime become too short?

#344 StefanArak

StefanArak

• 191 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:40

Whats davidsons problem? Even though two superior drivers are contridicting him?

What was said?

#345 joshb

joshb

• 3,220 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:41

I hope Brundle does a Ham/Vet overlay in the show tomorrow. 2 laps on the limit.

#346 Coral

Coral

• 2,714 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:41

All it proves is Seb is better than Webber but he aint better than Lewis, nowhere near as good in fact.

I agree with you. I think Lewis is close to becoming the class of the field...he is improving with age and IMO will continue to improve. He and Seb were miles ahead of the opposition today, though Alonso didn't have much chance in that Ferrari which is absolutely horrible in qualy.

Did anyone notice MW struggling to acknowledge that LH put in a great drive?

I certainly did! Whitmarsh looked thoroughly miserable after qualy, and he sounded underwhelmed by Lewis's great performance. But hey, Lewis has only 2 more races for McLaren, so why should we care! :cool:

#347 StefanArak

StefanArak

• 191 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:42

If the car does a certain time, that obviously means it's capable of doing said time. Damon Hill knows that, I have to assume he's just playing along with the usual media-cheerleading.

Anyway, the track isn't as disappointing as I had thought it would be, though I'm still of the opinion that a good number of corners could've been cut. When did a 1:20 laptime become too short?

Literally everyone in motorsport knows this, I don't see why some people get their knickers in a twist when people say someone is outperforming a car.

"But if a car performs to that level, it is necessarily capable of that time" they cry.

Obviously, it's called a figure of speech which is used as a hyperbole mechanism to emphasise what they feel is a particularly strong performance. What people are essentially saying in that situation is that a driver has outperformed the projected speed of the car based on the car's current handling and previous laptimes, and exceeded what was thought to be a reasonable laptime. They're not saying people are defying the laws of space and time...

#348 HappyPhantom

HappyPhantom

• 273 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:43

Agreed about Shumi. He did really well. Hope he doesn't get a penalty!!
Hope for a good race for him tomorrow.

#349 swerved

swerved

• 3,593 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:44

What was said?

He basically said that Lewis made more mistakes, and then they showed where and how he made them, so, it was an honest and unbiased appraisal, for most people anyway.

#350 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:44

I hope Brundle does a Ham/Vet overlay in the show tomorrow. 2 laps on the limit.

He kept going on about mistakes Lewis made, eg: a small lockup here, the backend lose here, a slight apex miss there, this is where pole was lost, nothing about maybe the redbull ha more grip and so didn't have these issues.

Both johnny and Damon mentioned this but then davidson went back to knocking the lap.