Photo

United States Grand Prix Race thread

• Please log in to reply
906 replies to this topic

#1 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:09

Approximately 24 hours before the start of the race now, and we had a close qualifying battle between Sebastian and Lewis, while Fernando starts from 8th.

With the Massa penalty, Fernando now starts in P7.

Edited by encircled, 18 November 2012 - 16:58.

Advertisement

#2 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:15

I'm not sure how this one will play out; either it'll be very hectic and chaotic, or it'll be processional and dull. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

#3 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:16

I predict Vettel to win and secure WDC already tomorrow, Ham as 2nd and Kimi as 3rd.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,873 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:16

Full tanks of fuel, stone cold tyres and brakes and 20+ cars into a tight turn one. I am very worried that the WDC and the race will be over at turn one.

#5 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:25

Full tanks of fuel, stone cold tyres and brakes and 20+ cars into a tight turn one. I am very worried that the WDC and the race will be over at turn one.

Isnt it decided already? Alonso 8th, Vettel 1st -> starts. Grosjean 9th....

#6 fred54

fred54

• 192 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:29

Massa and Hamilton and just about anyone being asked about it on Sky F1 being very vocal about being on the 'wrong' side of the track and it having a massive effect. Massa said it was like starting in the wet when he practiced!

Edited by fred54, 17 November 2012 - 19:29.

#7 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,031 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:34

Terrible grid for Alonso. Himself and Massa on the dirty side, while Webber and Vettel start on the clean side.

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,873 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:36

Massa and Hamilton and just about anyone being asked about it on Sky F1 being very vocal about being on the 'wrong' side of the track and it having a massive effect. Massa said it was like starting in the wet when he practiced!

Disparity in speeds heading into turn one as well. No doubt some will try and make up what they lost from the grid. It couldn't be made up, it's a perfect storm into the first corner. It will take some amazing driving to prevent an accident.

#9 bongofury

bongofury

• 57 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 19:43

I'm not sure how this one will play out; either it'll be very hectic and chaotic, or it'll be processional and dull. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

Processional and dull after the first corner, I suspect. Vettel will be clear of all the antics happening behind him and will romp to victory.

Agreed - with Alonso being in the middle of the pack, he will do well to keep out of trouble.

I hope I'm wrong...

#10 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,810 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:33

Cars can do multiple warm-up laps before going to the grid, right? If they go through pitlane.

Any chance they can keep the tyres warm for the time they stand on the grid? (How long is that anyway, 5 minutes?)

#11 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 20:42

Those talks about WDC fight being already over make me laugh. Don't you remember 2007, when Kimi had something what equals to 42 points of gap in current system to Hamilton 2 races to go, Hamilton had very reliable car and even in special circumstances there were only 3 cars that could fight with Lewis on merit?

Vettel needs to finish on the podium even if Alonso doesn't finish. Pace-wise it's almost certain to happen, but is it really possible to rule out such events like car failure, pit crew mistake, team-mistake (too little fuel or something like this), driver mistake, SC at the wrong (for Vettel) moment screwing everything? I don't think so.

Edited by Anderis, 17 November 2012 - 20:43.

#12 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,845 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:08

The cynic within me says that despite all of the hype turn 1 will be incident free.

Edited by Kvothe, 17 November 2012 - 21:09.

#13 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:09

I totally misjudged the attendance for this weekend after seen quite an empty FP3.

If quali was already quite packed, I imagine race will be 100% of attendance? 100 thousand confirmed or just typical rubbish PR from promoters?

Somehow, I expect a good race with maybe Lewis giving a go for the win(he DESERVES too much wins after Singapore and Abu Dhabi), Kimi running alone for last spot on podium and Fernando baby fighting for 4th to save his chances(not that it will matter as Vettel will be 99,99% champion if finishes 1st or 2nd anyway)

#14 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:20

Lewis have nothing to lose, expect tough battle into T1.

Edited by Baddoer, 17 November 2012 - 21:23.

#15 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 21:25

I think Vettel will pull clear, Lewis will lose out to Webber due to dirty line and then we will see a good fight between Webber and Lewis.

#16 Rybo

Rybo

• 346 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:21

I expect Seb to get a great start right until the safety car comes out for a massive wreck in turn 1. Once the SC comes out Sebs car will overheat and self destruct. Webber runs in the lead until his KERS fails letting Ham, kimi, and Alonso through. Hamilton builds a gap until something breaks on his car. Kimi holds off Alonso for the win with Webber getting the last podium spot.

#17 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:46

Sebastian salvaged a podium from the pit lane in Abu Dhabi.
Now, it's Fernando's turn to keep his title dream alive.
Can Ferrari use Felipe to Fernando's advantage in a 1 stop race?
Will safety cars save the day or will Austin Texas be "rewarded" with a World Championship being decided on it's F1 debut :smoking:

#18 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,899 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:49

I must admit I'll be stunned if we don't see a messy turn 1 with cars returning to the pits with damage and some cars retiring. Unless something goes wrong, then as long as Vettel gets out of turn 1 ahead, he'll cruise to victory.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,248 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:51

Cars can do multiple warm-up laps before going to the grid, right? If they go through pitlane.

Any chance they can keep the tyres warm for the time they stand on the grid? (How long is that anyway, 5 minutes?)

Doesn't the pit lane close 15 minutes or so before the start?

Advertisement

#20 george1981

george1981

• 760 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:52

I'm expecting a safety car tomorrow given the tardiness and inexperience of the marshalls. That could perhaps bring on the alternator trouble for Redbull which would make the championship very interesting.
From a personal perspective I'd like Alonso to score 10 more points than Vettel tomorrow, that would make them level on points going into the final round.

#21 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:54

No, but they don't need to. They have tyre heaters and the parade lap to get some heat in the tyres. Outlaps should be fun though.

#22 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:55

Sebastian salvaged a podium from the pit lane in Abu Dhabi.
Now, it's Fernando's turn to keep his title dream alive.
Can Ferrari use Felipe to Fernando's advantage in a 1 stop race?
Will safety cars save the day or will Austin Texas be "rewarded" with a World Championship being decided on it's F1 debut :smoking:

That seems a positive way of looking at things tomorrow :up:
should be fun

#23 BiH

BiH

• 2,314 posts

Chances of wreck in T1 will be extremely high.

Cars on dirty side will probably have bad start someone from way back clean side will make it 3-4 wide into t1.

#24 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

I totally misjudged the attendance for this weekend after seen quite an empty FP3.

If quali was already quite packed, I imagine race will be 100% of attendance? 100 thousand confirmed or just typical rubbish PR from promoters?

Somehow, I expect a good race with maybe Lewis giving a go for the win(he DESERVES too much wins after Singapore and Abu Dhabi), Kimi running alone for last spot on podium and Fernando baby fighting for 4th to save his chances(not that it will matter as Vettel will be 99,99% champion if finishes 1st or 2nd anyway)

Attendance was great today. The track PA confirmed 63K on Friday and if it wasn't 85K today I'd be surprised. The track has done a fantastic job getting bodies in and out. This has been a great weekend so far! Tons of pics to go through =)

#25 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 22:56

Those are just installation laps to check everything and get a feel for the track. I can't remember them ever doing those on the actual tires they start the race on. Cause if you spin/get a puncture on those laps, you're massively screwed. Also, during the time waiting on the grid the tires will lose most of the extra temperature they generated compared to just using the tire warmers.

#26 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,899 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:05

Attendance was great today. The track PA confirmed 63K on Friday and if it wasn't 85K today I'd be surprised. The track has done a fantastic job getting bodies in and out. This has been a great weekend so far! Tons of pics to go through =)

82,710 is the attendance that's been announced for today. 2 stonkingly good attendances, and even Friday's is probably more than some tracks get on raceday. Was great to see.

#27 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,757 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:11

Feeling that the race is going to be quite special...

#28 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:26

82,710 is the attendance that's been announced for today. 2 stonkingly good attendances, and even Friday's is probably more than some tracks get on raceday. Was great to see.

Well hot damn look at me go!

Three gentlemen adjacent to my seat drove up from Mexico. I asked about their trip up. They drove from Mexico City in 16.5 hours actual drive time. He said the trip was fine except for crossing the border. Where they crossed (can't remember where he said) would normally on Fridays be one hour at the most. It took them SIX hours! He said every bit was race traffic and I believe it. Plenty of fans from Mexico all over.

#29 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,939 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:29

With the crash twins so near Alonso, the title could be Vettel's on lap 1.

:(

#30 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:29

Feeling that the race is going to be quite special...

I think you're right... :lol:

Posted Image

#31 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:32

The pit lane closes 15 minutes before the race start so ... no even if they do 10 laps they can't keep the tyres warm for 15 minutes.

#32 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,212 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 23:41

That pic is so much better given todays quali :rotfl:

#33 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:10

I must admit I LIKE this track.... Love the esses with quick direction changes that Formula 1 cars simply excell at :)

My (unfortunate) prediction for the race will be a fantastic duel for the lower podium steps between Lewis and Webbo, with Fernando on a MISSION from lower down the grid............. whilst Seb sips champagne and relaxes...

See what happens hey. Unfortunately I won't see the race until Tuesday morning Aus time: stupid graveyard shifts :(

#34 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:51

Ham and Webber have bad starts while Vettel runs away. A bunch of drivers in the mid pack trip over themselves, allowing Alonso to get up to ~4-5th. A dull procession ensues. Ham retires at some point or has a horrible pitstop, allowing Alonso to get 3rd or 2nd, keeping the WDC slightly alive.

#35 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,503 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:56

Track is very nice - except once again the tarmac outside the track that doesn't penalise those that go out...

I don't see how there will be a big problem in the first corner.
It is going up at that part so it will be much easier to brake and correct.

Edited by AlexS, 18 November 2012 - 00:58.

#36 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 00:59

Track is very nice and i don't see how there will be a problem in the first corner.

It is going up at that part so it will be much easier to brake and correct.

blind apex, slippy surface, big grip differential between the two sides of the grid, 24 cars trying to guess where the line is. I 'm not saying there will be a big snafu but the ingredients are there

#37 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:20

First of all the two are not mutually exclusive.

Second of all with the vast runoffs and wide open spaces, I think a safety car is very unlikely.

Third of all, I hope a series of things happens which tightens the championship battle, not settles it, going into Brazil.

#38 loki

loki

• 2,020 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:41

FP1 and FP3 were on the early side. Only the diehards are out at that time, most don't make it until mid to late morning. Speed is reporting 120k tickets sold and estimated 80k at qualifying. It the same as with Indycar street events, they do well the first few years then what happens after that will determine what happens long term.

#39 loki

loki

• 2,020 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:46

I'm expecting a safety car tomorrow given the tardiness and inexperience of the marshalls.

The corner workers at this event are arguably some of the most, if not the most experienced in the world. They'll have 20 plus races a year, many for 10-20 years. They are culled from the ranks of the Sports Car Club of America. (SCCA) They are the go to crew for pro and amateur events throughout the US.

Advertisement

#40 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:16

Vettel Bull Racing procession incoming, hopefully Hamilton can get a podium, Alonso I have no idea but from qualifying he looks like will struggle.

#41 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:02

Everyone is ready.

Posted Image

Edited by Sakae, 18 November 2012 - 07:54.

#42 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:20

First of all the two are not mutually exclusive.

Second of all with the vast runoffs and wide open spaces, I think a safety car is very unlikely.

Third of all, I hope a series of things happens which tightens the championship battle, not settles it, going into Brazil.

I want it over with NOW...
I'm mid-air for Brazil.
If it ain't live it's jive.
Jp

#43 igoru

igoru

• 124 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:31

Posted Image

...rapid hairloss for Massa....more and more like a his father :)

#44 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:15

With the crash twins so near Alonso, the title could be Vettel's on lap 1.

:(

No, he still needs to finish this race on podium.

The title could be Vettel's not earlier than after lap 56. Knowing his previous record, there is about 15-20% of chance that he will not finish on podium due to mechanical failure/puncture or whatever. It's not that little.

#45 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,872 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:20

Could be a pretty boring race after the first corner. Hamilton is on P2, not ideal. Webber could easily pass him at the start. If it's a Red Bull 1-2 after turn 1, it's going to be a very boring race.

#46 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:27

Alonso out in Lap1. WDC over. I had the feeling that Vettel will win the WDC in Texas way before the first laps were driven.

#47 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:39

Do you think Ferrari could change the gearbox or something in Massa's car in order to get a penalty and move Alonso one spot higher on the grid to a clean side of the track?

#48 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,045 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:43

Do you think Ferrari could change the gearbox or something in Massa's car in order to get a penalty and move Alonso one spot higher on the grid to a clean side of the track?

They could. But F1 teams seem to be rather stupid sometimes. I wonder why Button didn't pit for a new set of softs when the 2nd SC was deployed in Abu Dhabi. He would have rejoined ahead of Vettel and would stand a chance of winning the race.

#49 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:51

Good idea, your suggestion would be the cleanest way to improve Fernando's odds in the race. I'm surprised I haven't seen the idea in the Ferrari thread.

Maybe worth going for more, especially if Massa has one of his rocket starts (unlikely as it is from the dirty side). Massa can then hold up several cars in sector one and make them easy pickings for Alonso later on the lap.

#50 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:49

due to the lack of grip on the even side of the startup grid, I dare say I foresee carnage!!