Photo

Old racing programmes

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:18

Hi all. My good friend Keith Howard has lent me some old racing programmes that I hope you will like to see. These are the outer covers but if there is any content you would like to see I will try to put it here but these mean a lot to Keith so I may not be able to scan some parts without the chance of damage so these may not be possible as they are quite delicate. I hope you enjoy them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 14:47

Great stuff! good thread will scan a few of my more interesting ones, from 70's/80's.

#3 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:08

Cavendish Morton, designer of the 1955 programme cover, was 101 earlier this year. :eek: http://www.visitisla...ifetime-of-art/

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 15:58

Great stuff! good thread will scan a few of my more interesting ones, from 70's/80's.

Yes , indeed , great stuff , would like to see some of the field in the later 60's progs , might join in and scan a few meself :wave:

#5 haroldh

haroldh

• 32 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:18

Hi all. My good friend Keith Howard has lent me some old racing programmes that I hope you will like to see. These are the outer covers but if there is any content you would like to see I will try to put it here but these mean a lot to Keith so I may not be able to scan some parts without the chance of damage so these may not be possible as they are quite delicate. I hope you enjoy them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for posting. Any chance you could look at the 1962 and before progs for my dad Harry Scholes on sidecar? This would help me identify all his races. I have pic from Silverstone I think but need to check, Many thanks again

#6 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:12

Thanks for posting. Any chance you could look at the 1962 and before progs for my dad Harry Scholes on sidecar? This would help me identify all his races. I have pic from Silverstone I think but need to check, Many thanks again

I have had a good look through the programmes I have but the name Harry Scholes does not appear in any sidecar event listed. Sorry about that.

#7 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 19:52

Yes , indeed , great stuff , would like to see some of the field in the later 60's progs , might join in and scan a few meself :wave:

Here is the list of entrants for the 1966 Daily Mail Race of the Year. Also the pictures that appeared in the programme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:30

Thats great :up: , thanks for that , so many ' names ' listed , nice to see Ray Flack , do you remember his solo kneeler ??

Plus , of course , the obvious Bill Ivy mistake , the strangest looking Cotton , iv'e seen ...............................

Edited by fil2.8, 18 November 2012 - 20:32.

#9 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:06

Posted Image

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:05

Almost 38 years a go!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 165 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:36

Here is the list of entrants for the 1966 Daily Mail Race of the Year. Also the pictures that appeared in the programme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 165 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:48

I see DHG Chester in the entry list first man to win a race in the UK on a Yamaha( as far as I know)riding for Ted Broad.If not who was ? Bill Lawrence

#13 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:53

Here are the entrants for the 1965 Race of the Year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:01

It was attending the ROY in 1966 that started me on the slippery slope.

We got onto the banking outside of the Devils Elbow whilst it was still misty. When the sun broke through I saw Mallory Park and racing in full colour with all its' glory. After that a year later I was the other side of the fence all be it not on a Honda six but a race tuned Ariel Arrow.

I still have that program as well as others from that era and all my race programs.

Edited by tonyed, 20 November 2012 - 07:02.

#15 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:11

Whats's the difference between 'Z' and 'C' licenses? Thanks

#16 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:10

Here are some of the pages from the 1957 Silver Jubilee of the Hutchinson 100. The last scan is of the results of the very first 'Hutchinson Hundred' as it was called and won by a Harley Davidson. I love the page 'Some of the Foreign Machines' This is the last I can do as they are being returned tonight but I hope you have enjoyed them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:34

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just testing.

Just have to find my first Mallory Programme from the ever first road race meeting held there, I have most up to 1989 when I gave up Marshalling.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:01

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few random covers. Enjoy.

#19 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:19

Rodders on the front of the August 67.

Advertisement

#20 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:55

Rodders on the front of the August 67.

Yes on his 250 Cotton, Rex on a Greeves, 77 R O Strong Greeves, 82 J D Bedlington also on a Greeves

Rod was 10th in his heat and 11th in the final won by Read from Ivy and Redman.

June 19th 1966. Billed as The Pre TT International meeting!

#21 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:19

A couple of interesting names in the 56 programme, entrant Don Henstock (underlined) i'm guessing is the same person who entered Neil Tuxworth in his early seasons, and P D Chatterton is possibly Derek's brother Peter? I think he died in a freak road bike accident at very low speed close to the family business near Boston, he was tipped by many as a future star.

#22 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18

A couple of interesting names in the 56 programme, entrant Don Henstock (underlined) i'm guessing is the same person who entered Neil Tuxworth in his early seasons, and P D Chatterton is possibly Derek's brother Peter? I think he died in a freak road bike accident at very low speed close to the family business near Boston, he was tipped by many as a future star.

Great stuff. Keep it coming.

#23 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:56

Henstocks had a shop in Sutton-in-Ashfield about 100 yards from my house, cica 1950's. The building is still there, now a furniture shop. Later a larger shop in Mansfield which was sold about 10 years ago. Don had died his son Jimmy ran the business for a while. Local to me we had few M/C shops Walter Wragg, Taggs, Charlie Freeman, Frank Cope, Frank Inger, David Tye, Bill Lomas and a few others (who I can't remember even though I bought bikes from them, how sad,) all supportied riders.

Neil Tuxworth's entrants Henstocks of Mansfield. They were entrants for many local lads over the years.

In the 50's many riders had entrants, even at clubmans meetings, in the 60's it appeared that only the top riders had entrants.

#24 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:24

Not strictly a programme, but came across this whilst delving into the depths of the loft space. It was issued as a booklet, just a bit larger than A4 which makes it
difficult for me to scan all the pages, but if anyone wants me to I'll try :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:33

Any idea why Ago is shown as 20th in the 500 race after winning the 350, must have been more than just a bad day at the office, did he push in?

#26 larryd

larryd

• 676 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 19:46

Any idea why Ago is shown as 20th in the 500 race after winning the 350, must have been more than just a bad day at the office, did he push in?

Clutch failed off the grid, Paul.

No panic - they fitted a new clutch complete at his pit, and off he went - he only dropped one lap.

I was in the Grandstand that day - when he eventually pushed off, the cheer nearly took the roof off.

Can you imagine a superstar, not necessarily today but even then, going through all that and then riding his b****s off for 14 laps of Dundrod with no chance of a point?

The man was/is a star.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#27 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17

Race of the Year, Mallory Park, 1967

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 18:29

What a brilliant thead!! and I see its inspired some trips up into the loft for a few people, I have loads from 71 onwards but they are in my parents house in Lincolnshire, i'll have a dig around next time i'm over there.

Dont fancy my chances with that guard rail to the outside of Ivy and Cooper, was that on the outside of Devils Elbow? I think i've seen it on old photo's before, in my day it was bale lined armco down there and that was pretty scary, but the thought of an arm or leg getting the wrong side of that rail in a crash doesnt bear thinking about!!

I was never a big Mallory fan as it always looked like there was plenty of stuff around to hit if you fell off there.

Edited by Paul Collins, 23 November 2012 - 18:29.

#29 roger9650

roger9650

• 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:31

Just to add a little more to the 1967 UGP. I was at the Quarries and Hailwood was riding that 500-4 very hard. He went wide and right up into the bank on the exit, amazing! Shortly afterwards he found that Ago was out so it was fairly quiet after that.

#30 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 16:15

What a brilliant thead!! and I see its inspired some trips up into the loft for a few people, I have loads from 71 onwards but they are in my parents house in Lincolnshire, i'll have a dig around next time i'm over there.

Dont fancy my chances with that guard rail to the outside of Ivy and Cooper, was that on the outside of Devils Elbow? I think i've seen it on old photo's before, in my day it was bale lined armco down there and that was pretty scary, but the thought of an arm or leg getting the wrong side of that rail in a crash doesnt bear thinking about!!

I was never a big Mallory fan as it always looked like there was plenty of stuff around to hit if you fell off there.

Posted Image

It was scaffold pole and wooded boards, I remember an early notts sports car club meeting when a car crashed at devils and one of the poles whet in one side of the car and out of the other under the drivers legs. A sidecar did launch over the top at one meeting and into the rubbish tip below, "luckly" it was not such a drop as in later years, after they cleared it out! Sometime later we got some pit conveyor belt and fastened that to the poles and stuffed it with straw!

Edited by Classicpics, 25 November 2012 - 15:26.

#31 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:58

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the good old days when we could see world championship riders at most notional meetings.

#32 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:11

1972 A young Jarno Saarinen appeared at Mallory for the first time broke 3 lap records, won the big race and impressed everyone with his speed and skill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Classicpics, 24 November 2012 - 18:12.

#33 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:16

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:25

If you think Mallory was bad, and it was, watch this.

http://www.crash.net...highlights.html

#35 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:03

Posted Image

#36 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34

Posted Image
Thought Yendor might be interested in this pre. Southern Sixty Seven R.C. programme.

#37 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 16:43

Here's a programme for the 13th September 1981 at a little used airfield circuit at RAF Watton in Norfolk. It was a very quick circuit with a very long straight followed by two 90 degree right handers onto a very fast left and right sweeping section round the back followed by another 90 right onto the straight again. Lap record for 250 production was 92-93mph. The edge of the track at the end of the straight was lined by a huge halfpipe stormdrain. I seem to remember Andy Key getting a 900 proddie Honda in and out of it without a scratch. Several well known names of the time in this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:12

Lots of well known names! couple of Forum members among them, awards was that another name for prize money? pretty paultry pickings if so!!

What is the prize money at BSB? is there any? most of the riders are pay riders now so how do they earn a living? sorry for a bit off topic but if any one knows? :|

Watton been built on now!!

#39 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:39

I don't have much motorbike racing nostalgia among my car clutter, but there are one or two curios. Longridge is now the Beacon Fell View caravan park, but parts of the bygone infrastructure remain visible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Simon Arron, 09 December 2012 - 17:42.

Advertisement

#40 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 18:34

Is Number 12 any relation to another famous rider from Blackburn??

PAR

#41 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:14

Here is the programme for the 1984 Manx GP. This was my one and only run on the IOM but my finishers medal is one that I hold most dear. If ever there was a meeting that proved that racing can be a cruel mistress at times then this one is it for me. There is a much seen photo of the three winners of the 250,350 and 500 Newcomers. The future would see both Phil Armes ( 250 ) and Gary Cowan ( 350 ) have accidents that would leave them both unable to walk again and Eddie Byers ( 500 ) sadly lose his life in the 2005 Classic Manx. Again lots of very well known names in this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 20:13

Is Number 12 any relation to another famous rider from Blackburn??

PAR

And a D A Rowe from Blackpool. There is another possibly more famous Rowe from Blackpool (Dane) A relation perhaps ?

HW

#43 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:48

Posted Image

#44 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 15:49

Posted Image

#45 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 16:45

Hockenheim a great circuit that really is no more! if you google earth it, the out in the country parts have now got trees planted on where the circuit once was. :(

Its great seeing these old programmes & lists of riders guys, keep them coming. :up:

#46 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 15:46

Posted Image
Runners and riders to follow.

#47 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:46

Hockenheim a great circuit that really is no more! if you google earth it, the out in the country parts have now got trees planted on where the circuit once was. :(

Its great seeing these old programmes & lists of riders guys, keep them coming. :up:

Here's one from google images, very sad

Posted Image

#48 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 14:47

Posted Image

Posted Image Race of the year 1963

Edited by dixie, 15 December 2012 - 14:50.