Photo

Old heads taking a wide line at T1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,786 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:05

I have noticed this the past few races, more experienced drivers are taking a widish line at the first corner after the start in order to keep their speed up and get a better exit into T2. Today both Webber and Fernando did this and gained quite a bit, some of the younger blokes need to watch some replays.

Advertisement

#2 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:08

It depends in soooo much things that starting with a preconceived idea about what´s best is a mistake itself.

If too much people stucks the apex and you go outside you look smart. If there´s more space in between and you get passed on the outside you look stupid. You never know what´s best. It depends mainly on what the people around you do.

#3 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:19

It's probably the endless amounts of tarmac runoff that encourages drivers to throw in on the outside knowing that the penalty for getting pushed off isn't that bad.

#4 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:27

It's probably the endless amounts of tarmac runoff that encourages drivers to throw in on the outside knowing that the penalty for getting pushed off isn't that bad.

It's been like that for about a decade now.... Let it go. Safety first.

#5 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:38

It's been like that for about a decade now.... Let it go. Safety first.

:confused: I wasn't saying it's a bad thing (although I think there should be less of it and more grass at least), just saying that that affects the drivers' mentality.