Photo

Undisputed that Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso are the 3 best drivers in F1 now?

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

Poll: Undisputed that Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso are the 3 best drivers in F1 now? (426 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this a correct Assessment?

1. Yes (245 votes [57.65%])

Percentage of vote: 57.65%

2. No (180 votes [42.35%])

Percentage of vote: 42.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:19

I don't see anyone near these guys on their best days.

Edited by Nahnever, 19 November 2012 - 02:23.

Advertisement

#2 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:23

Given that they drive fasters cars of the grid with no to little harassment from the teammates it's only natural. That being said I rate them all very high and look forward for more title clashes!

#3 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:24

Whilst i wouldn't disagree as a whole, Alonso did not outperform Massa all w/e

#4 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:29

Utter non-sense.

Any 'undisputed' ya-da-ya-da-thread being in itself subjective to too many variables that has nothing to do with the drivers, hence rendering such discussion quite moot at the start -- to pick the best drivers (this season) from the top three teams qua resources, just goes to highlight my point.

Example gratis: what about Kimi's season? -- Lesser machinery, 3rd in the standings? etc. ad infinitum.

#5 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:29

Whilst i wouldn't disagree as a whole, Alonso did not outperform Massa all w/e

Probably why he says, on their day.
While I have no issue with people wanting to add Kimi to that list (although a fan, I don't think their level), sadly, there will always be people thinking of excuses why the driver of their dislike is actually not that good.

With anyone following F1 with a bit of unbias, this was already an indisputed correct claim last year.

#6 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:30

I don't think that you base a decision like this on the last race - this is something that requires one to parse and cull the last 5 seasons... and I don't think that there is anyone who can compare to these top 3. Perez, Maldonado, Raikkonen, Schumacher, Rosberg... they've all had their high spots - but these three are the class of the field. No question. It's not just about BEING in one of the best cars - it's about DESERVING to be in one of the best cars - and on that point, I think it would be hard to disagree for any of these guys.

#7 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:33

In terms of raw pace the whole field is close. In terms of race craft, consistency, adaptability, and being able to drive absolutely on the limit without making mistakes; I agree that they are the undisputed top 3.

#8 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40

What about Kimi? Surely you havent neglected him.

#9 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:49

No. 1 race win in that car? Not overwhelming.

Last race - outqualified by team mate who has to give up 5 places for a gearbox change, then only beats same team-mate by 6 seconds after team-mate has had a self-induced spin? Hardly epic. Raikkonen is great- but he has hardly been consistent this year. Glad he's back, though.

#10 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:50

I wouldn't say undisputed, but I think it appears to be the general consensus at the moment.

#11 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:15

Last race - outqualified by team mate who has to give up 5 places for a gearbox change, then only beats same team-mate by 6 seconds after team-mate has had a self-induced spin? Hardly epic. Raikkonen is great- but he has hardly been consistent this year. Glad he's back, though.

Barring one race he has been inside top 10 always.
He is 3rd in the championship and will most probably secure it.
7 podiums including a win.
13 top six finishes including podiums and win.

:cool:

#12 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:18

I think if I am a team principle, and I have to hire a driver I would be chuffed to bits if either Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso were to sign for my team.

#13 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:28

I think if I am a team principle, and I have to hire a driver I would be chuffed to bits if either Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso were to sign for my team.

I'll bet Mercedes is chuffed - but I bet Hamilton won't be....

#14 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:29

I'll bet Mercedes is chuffed - but I bet Hamilton won't be....

Never know. Teams have been known to flip the switch over the off-season.

#15 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:31

I think they are the 3 best and unlike a lot of you I am glad they are on separate teams.

#16 alg7_munif

alg7_munif

• 1,937 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:32

I think one of them can be disputed due to having the fastest car.

#17 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:33

A good attitude for a Vol's fan.  ;)

j/k you my friend. :kiss:

#18 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:33

I think they are the 3 best and unlike a lot of you I am glad they are on separate teams.

Oh goodness yes. As McLaren have shown two equal drivers does not work. Ie 89.

#19 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:36

A good attitude for a Vol's fan. ;)

j/k you my friend. :kiss:

Vols are terrible, but we got rid of our terrible coach. Bring on next year!

Also Lewis and Gordon winning is always fun.

Advertisement

#20 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:40

the exception - NOT the rule.

#21 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:43

the exception - NOT the rule.

Posted Image

#22 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:48

Posted Image

There's ALWAYS a chance - that's why we watch, init?

#23 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:48

Posted Image

There's ALWAYS a chance - that's why we watch, init?

#24 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:33

Just goes to show "you are only as good as your last race" in the eyes of fans.

He won the previous race, is 3rd in the championship, and scored DOUBLE the points of his teammate. Yet he's not considered one of the "best drivers" according to some.

Last race - outqualified by team mate

You don't get points for qualifying, and everyone gets out-qualified by their teammate sometimes. For example, Vettel was out-qualified by Webber in 2 of the last 4 races (and for one of Vettel's poles he had upgrades on the car that Webber didn't have)

Raikkonen is great- but he has hardly been consistent this year. Glad he's back, though.

Are you serious? Raikkonen has been the definition of consistency this year. That's why he is 3rd in the championship despite winning only a single race.

#25 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39

I think one of them can be disputed due to having the fastest car.

Hamilton?

#26 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46

Just goes to show "you are only as good as your last race" in the eyes of fans.

He won the previous race, is 3rd in the championship, and scored DOUBLE the points of his teammate. Yet he's not considered one of the "best drivers" according to some.

You don't get points for qualifying, and everyone gets out-qualified by their teammate sometimes. For example, Vettel was out-qualified by Webber in 2 of the last 4 races (and for one of Vettel's poles he had upgrades on the car that Webber didn't have)

Are you serious? Raikkonen has been the definition of consistency this year. That's why he is 3rd in the championship despite winning only a single race.

Not to take away from Kimi's great season, I have to say getting double the points of a driver who has dnf'd 6 times and was BANNED for a race is a crowning achievement.

With that said Kimi is definitely up there, and has had a great season. If that car was better he would likely be in the conversation, although he should be in it now.

#27 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:27

Nope.

I think Seb has done enough to be clear at the top.

then alonso closely followed by hamilton.

followed by kimi.

with Webber and Button just below that.

#28 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:40

Sh!t thread!!!

Since everyone is so merry in claiming their best, MAY I ADD:-

The Undisputed 3 best drivers on the grid were on the Podium in Abu Dhabi 2012....and also can be seen by this years Drivers Standings.

Edited by BackOnTop, 19 November 2012 - 05:59.

#29 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:48

You talking about ALONSO bro!!!

:)

Edited by BackOnTop, 19 November 2012 - 05:49.

#30 rko281

rko281

• 698 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:51

You talking about ALONSO bro!!!

:)

great reply :rotfl:

#31 telstar

telstar

• 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:55

great reply :rotfl:

made my day, thanks BackOnTop! :clap:

#32 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:03

If Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso were so undisputed.... why the hell did it take them 4 Years to get on the podium together.

Yes, this is the first time in history that these 3 drivers were on the podium together.... hardly says that they are the best.... as someone or the other has continuously beaten one of them for the last 4 years for the top 3 slot!!!

Edited by BackOnTop, 19 November 2012 - 06:06.

#33 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:13

made my day, thanks BackOnTop! :clap:

Glad I helped :up:

#34 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:16

Yes, those three are best without a doubt, but Kimi and Jenson are close.

#35 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:17

Erm...no.

Just no.

#36 santori

santori

• 4,106 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:07

I'd still put Alonso and Hamilton ahead of Vettel. I think Vettel's a little flattered at the moment by a great car and a team-mate who, unfortunately, is going through a poorish spell. At the moment:

Alonso/Hamilton
Vettel/Raikkonen/Button

There's not too much in it, though. If Raikkonen continues where he's been for the last few races (well, not so much the last one) I might see him alongside Alonso and Hamilton.

Edited by santori, 19 November 2012 - 07:11.

#37 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:46

I´m a huge Kimmi fan but I have to agree Vettel, Lewis and Alonso are the top 3 drivers at the moment.

What Lewis did today was incredible, I think there's no other driver in the grid that could have done what he did today.

#38 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:50

I will wait and see Lewis in Mercedes.
Tbh I assume that all drivers in F1 are in similar speed level, it just depends who likes what. For example Webber was faster than Vettel without gismos, with them on, Vettel trash Webber.
It is driver preferences and tbh, imo Lewis should destroy Rosberg next year BUT if he won't then I can assume that 5-6 drivers are in the same bracket.

(look Alonso vs Fisichiella in their Renault times).

#39 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:53

I´m a huge Kimmi fan but I have to agree Vettel, Lewis and Alonso are the top 3 drivers at the moment.

What Lewis did today was incredible, I think there's no other driver in the grid that could have done what he did today.

I always find interesting alle those 'huge' Kimi fans who can't even properly spell his first name.

About the thread: indisputable? Well, even the classification has something to 'dispute' it.

Advertisement

#40 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:54

:rotfl:

Bruce, as has been pointed out, you really left the door wide open with that comment.

#Donchyaloveitwhenthathappens :)

#41 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:07

I agree they are the best.

Kimi has incredible race craft but he needs to fix his qualifying to join those three.

#42 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:11

:rotfl:

Bruce, as has been pointed out, you really left the door wide open with that comment.

#Donchyaloveitwhenthathappens :)

I really wondered what prompted the original poster to post, just those three on the podium or some evidence garnered from this particular race where his Fredness really was upstaged by his team mate who was forced to take one for the home team before the race.

Edited by Oho, 19 November 2012 - 08:16.

#43 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:32

Those are the top 3, but I wouldn't completely discount Kimi or JB, who have shown many times that they can more than live with them.

#44 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:36

Of course they are the 3 best in the sport. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't worth listening to IMO.

#45 moorsey

moorsey

• 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41

Of course they are the 3 best in the sport. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't worth listening to IMO.

Agreed :up:

#46 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:42

Why does it have to be the 3 best. Why not the top 4 and stick Kimi in there as well

#47 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:00

They would genuinely seem to be the 3 best, but I see no reason why Hulkenburg couldn't go toe to toe with them in the same machinery.

#48 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:04

Vettel cant be called GREAT until he races something other than the fastest car in the world.

Alonso,Hamilton, Button, Rosberg, Schumacher, Raikkonen are IMO better drivers than Vettel and would do as good a job, if not better than him on a RedBull.

Hamilton and Alonso are still in a different league than everyone else.

#49 DCult

DCult

• 761 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:06

They would genuinely seem to be the 3 best, but I see no reason why Hulkenburg couldn't go toe to toe with them in the same machinery.

Hulkenburg is probably a castle in Germany/Austria, so ... no. Hulkenberg on the other hand.... :p

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:07

I would hire the 3 over Kimi, but there's not a massive difference. I think the 3 are all quicker but if all I want is to make it to the finish line, I'd trust Kimi ahead of Lewis. He really is a great racer as shown yesterday for example in the battle vs Button. Gave him a bloody tough fight but always a car's width to avoid incidents. Once he saw the pass was done he immediately positioned himself ready to try to regain position. Then once that was no longer possible, accepted it and moved on to maximize his own result - that's the right mindset IMO. It's not like Lewis is a crasher at all, but I've seen him sometimes lack this composure.

Vettel is a little more composed than Lewis and Alonso a lot more. Raw pace it's the other way around, difficult to know for certain until we see Vettel in the same car as them though. Over a season the 3 of them would score more points than anyone else but Kimi would come close.

Depends on the season though as drivers are not a constant, and I've seen patches of poor form from all. Vettel was behind Webber for a while earlier this season. Hamilton was outscored by Button last year. Alonso you'd probably have to backtrack as far as 04 and Trulli, but was matched by Lewis on his debut year. Kimi all you have to do is mention the name Felipe Massa. Nevertheless they're still a very clear top 4 - a clear top 3 with a close clear 4th best driver I'd say. Look at any other driver on the grid and you'll see a lot more "poor form" patches in their CVs, even world champion Button.

Edited by noikeee, 19 November 2012 - 10:09.