* * * * - 7 votes

NASCAR 2013

• Please log in to reply
2621 replies to this topic

#601 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,103 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 17:16

Derrick Cope didn't win in 1970ies. Skill pretty much got marginalized as soon as you went with restrictor plates. Maybe it was a necessary evil, but it made a mockery of "NASCAR's Superbowl" nonetheless. And Ernie Irvan was a very good driver in his day, whose career got derailed before he peaked.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 03 February 2013 - 17:18.

Advertisement

#602 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 20:42

It's a shame that Daytona 500 went from being won by the likes of David Pearson, to being won by the likes of Trevor Bayne.

Whats wrong with Bayne ? :confused:

Great choice of pics GM :)

#603 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:41

Pretty unfair comment.

Explain to me how one of the most dominating drivers in the history of the sport only manages one win (Dale Sr), and then explain to me Ernie Irvan, or Derrick Cope. The 500 has forever been riddled with an element of luck.

You also have to remember how young Bayne still is (just turned 22!) and the equipment at his disposal.

Beyond the short tracks, Daytona and Talladega, were always the tracks where an independent might beat the big buck teams.

They probably tried harder as winning there got far more press than anywhere else.

#604 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:41

In auto racing, you don't have to be great to win. You only have to be great that day.

#605 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 22:48

Day 21 in the countdown, time to honor the oldest continuously operating team in NASCAR, the Wood Brothers, number 21

Daytona 500 Countdown: day minus 21 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#606 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,103 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:24

Whats wrong with Bayne ? :confused:

Nothing particularly wrong with him, he's just average. The problem is that average drivers shouldn't be able to win the "greatest race" in their second start, if it is indeed the greatest race.

#607 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 13:54

Posted Image
Posted Image

Rick Newsom--for a time, the Trevor Bayne of his era.

#608 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 14:18

Posted Image

#609 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:48

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Derrike Cope was better than given credit.

Most of it comes from bitter Dale Sr. fans being sore losers. The reason he's viewed that way was because Dale Sr. got a flat tire on the last lap on his way to an obvious win after dominating the race. But, that's why it's the Daytona 500, not the Daytona 499.

Cope was consistently near the front all day and did everything right to stay in contention. So, when Earnhardt blew the tire, Cope won. He earned it more than anyone else in the field that day solely because he was the one there to take advantage of it. Not any number of better known or any drivers perceived as better drivers were able to do that. He was.

Cope followed that up by falling laps down at Dover and storming back to make them up and win convincingly there.

And he put a West series car on the front row on his first visit to a superspeedway :eek: A West series car from a shop in Lakeport, California! (while Lakeport has long had a 1/4 mile oval at the fairgrounds, it's hardly cosmopolitan or metropolitan).

The fact that he had two car owners forced to quit due to health reasons didn't exactly help his career either.

Magoo mentioned Talladega. For it's first 10-15 years it was known for surprise winners: James Hylton, Dick Brooks, Ron Bouchard (not that they didn't run competitively or contend other places). Wins by "Little Guys" and first wins had a tendency to come at Richmond, Martinsville or Talladega.

#610 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:58

btw

My rough calculation is Chrysler dumped the equivalent of a NASCAR budget on Superb Owl advertising last night.

Which isn't a criticism or even a comparison because ad money doesn't work like that. But I was impressed they had at least two multi-minute ads at 4mil per 30 seconds.

#611 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 19:48

Nothing particularly wrong with him, he's just average. The problem is that average drivers shouldn't be able to win the "greatest race" in their second start, if it is indeed the greatest race.

Why the hell not ?

Whoever gets to the line first wins, if thats a rookie or a 20 season driver so be it.

#612 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 21:17

btw

My rough calculation is Chrysler dumped the equivalent of a NASCAR budget on Superb Owl advertising last night.

Which isn't a criticism or even a comparison because ad money doesn't work like that. But I was impressed they had at least two multi-minute ads at 4mil per 30 seconds.

It's safer to burn the Challenger money in a couple minutes where you don't have to put up with an engine program, grooming teams, hoping Kurt doesn't explode or italians that only see horses.

On topic, the last rumours on Jayski pointed out that a possible Dodge return is nowhere near imminent, better keep grooming VW.

#613 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,103 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:16

Why the hell not ?

Whoever gets to the line first wins, if thats a rookie or a 20 season driver so be it.

Yes, that's how winning works, glad we're clear on that. The point I'm making is that great races need great credibility. They need to be races where the best are especially heavily favored, otherwise the race is special only because of the marketing hype.

By comparison, look at the list of Indy 500 winners. Not an average driver in sight (though we came very, very close in 2006 in 2011, and I guess Buddy Rice is borderline at best). Even in the dark first years of IRL, where the field was clearly subpar, the winners were still the best among the worst.

Edited by Dmitriy_Guller, 05 February 2013 - 01:19.

#614 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:11

Henley Gray was known to run some unusual cars, including a 1968 Galaxie full-size and 1970 Thunderbird. Was also car owner for Dale Earnhardt's third Cup start in 1977.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#615 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:42

Looks like Gordon will get another make-over during the 2 half of the season:

The Carlyle Group, one of the world's largest and most successful investment firms with a portfolio of businesses that includes Hertz Rental Car, Allison Transmission and Dunkin' Donuts, announced that it has acquired DuPont's paint business. Although the people, products and technologies will remain the same, the paint business, which sponsors the #24 Chevy of Hendrick Motorsports and driver Jeff Gordon in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, has been rebranded as Axalta Coating Systems. The Axalta Coating Systems name will begin appearing on the #24 team car in the second quarter of the year. In the meantime, on-car branding will include familiar automotive paint brands and products such as Standox, Spies Hecker, Imron, and CromaxPro. The Axalta Coating Systems contract with Hendrick Motorsports includes 14 primary paint schemes annually on Gordon's #24 car. The first primary paint scheme of 2013 will be at Texas Motor Speedway in April and will run at various races throughout the year including the season-ending race at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(Hendrick PR)(2-4-2013)

It'll be interesting to see if 'Axalta Coating Systems' stick around after 2013. Regardless, I guess this is the end of another era, so to speak.

#616 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 15:30

Jeremy Mayfield, distracted by a driver in his mirror, loses control at turn 2.
Posted Image
Here is the never-before-seen exclusive onboard footage of the incident.

#617 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:23

I hope you aren't disrespecting the Dude.

#618 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,085 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:54

Yes, that's how winning works, glad we're clear on that. The point I'm making is that great races need great credibility. They need to be races where the best are especially heavily favored, otherwise the race is special only because of the marketing hype.

By comparison, look at the list of Indy 500 winners. Not an average driver in sight (though we came very, very close in 2006 in 2011, and I guess Buddy Rice is borderline at best). Even in the dark first years of IRL, where the field was clearly subpar, the winners were still the best among the worst.

I don't follow your logic at all.

Driver wins the Daytona 500 at his first attempt & second cup start and all of a sudden it devalues the race ?

Far as the Indy5000 goes what about Gordon Johncock and Buddy Rice ? Their other results surely don't match up with winning "the great race". Is the indy 500 devalued too ?

#619 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:55

I think he has the foundation of a point though. I was personally far more impressed by Jamie McMurray winning so quickly at Charlotte than Bayne at Daytona. In both cases they were in the right scenario at the right time, but...

Advertisement

#620 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:56

I hope you aren't disrespecting the Dude.

gm abides...

#621 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:10

Not only did Henley drive a full-size Galaxy, it was one of the bouncing low-riders at the same time!

At the start of a race, I bet that cleared out traffic quickly, but then the aerodynamics were not so good.

Posted Image

Edited by Bob Riebe, 05 February 2013 - 20:15.

#622 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,681 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:16

So you think great races should be like the early IMCA where very big names raced and the winner was picked before the flag fell--BRILLIANT! (Yes it did pack the stands too.)

By your rhetoric it seems big money teams are the only racers worth anything. The rest are peons who must be tolerated but should not ever win.

#623 John B

John B

• 6,328 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:48

I agree the plate era has been often unsatisfactory as far as producing winners for the series's biggest race. Michael Waltrip and to a lesser degree Sterling Marlin are other examples of drivers who had disproportionate success on plate tracks relative to the others. I can't remember Newman doing much for the rest of the season following his 500 win. Some years the pileups have produced lottery winners, others one team clearly has a plate advantage (Morgan McClure, DEI, recently Roush).

#624 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 19:54

With only three more Sundays til the Daytona 500, a couple of appropriate pictures:

Posted Image

David Pearson brings it home after battling with Petty on the final turn of the 1976 Daytona 500

I love how he won because he was heads up enough to keep the clutch in and that presence of mind was literally the margin of victory that afternoon.

SUCK IT, RICHARD PETTY! WOO!

David Pearson was the man.

#625 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:05

Tommy Baldwin Jr speaks up about start n parking. Tears a chunk out of Bruton's ass in the process.

#626 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:14

Start and parkers use to really bother me, but Tommy Baldwin and Front Row's transition into legitimate teams has tempered that a bit. I respect Baldwin far more than I respect Smith.

It's still pretty ugly in the Nationwide Series, though. Curtis Key trying to put four start-and-parks in the field is ridiculous.

Edited by Dilla, 05 February 2013 - 20:14.

#627 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 20:14

Wtf are they moving money towards the front of the purse? Don't Hendrick and Roush make enough?

#628 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 21:09

Tommy Baldwin Jr speaks up about start n parking. Tears a chunk out of Bruton's ass in the process.

Baldwin has this one right and Bruton has it wrong.

Also, Bruton is starting to creep me out a little. How can an 84 year-old look like that?

#629 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 21:10

Wtf are they moving money towards the front of the purse? Don't Hendrick and Roush make enough?

Exactly. If they want fewer start-and-parkers, they need to move the money down, not up.

#630 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 22:40

I love how he won because he was heads up enough to keep the clutch in and that presence of mind was literally the margin of victory that afternoon.

SUCK IT, RICHARD PETTY! WOO!

David Pearson was the man.

And... unlike some pinacles of motorsport, this finish is available for those who could not see it live.

#631 Risil

Risil

• 14,305 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 23:26

The stifled laughs in the cheering crowd make that footage pretty special.

#632 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 23:55

And... unlike some pinacles of motorsport, this finish is available for those who could not see it live.

Hehe that's great stuff. Nice to hear Jackie Stewart in there too.
Good find :up:

#633 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 00:26

Looks like Forbes has put out their own Top 10 list of ASSHAT athletes.
The usual suspects are there. You got your dog-killers, rapists, steroid-eatin-freaks, adulterers, Metta World Peace, etc.

Poor Kurt, the only NASCAR driver, made the list at #9.

Although I would like to think Kyle ranked 11th thru 23rd.

#634 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27

Speaking of Kyles...
Posted Image
It begins.

#635 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:54

Arden Mounts might be best known today as the driver of the Hudson in the spectacular wreck in the 1955 Southern 500 at Darlington -- staple of the early NASCAR highlight reels. Wadded that one up real good.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#636 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 15:08

Posted Image
:clap:

#637 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:17

they could give money to the last 10 positions based on distance completed perhaps. if you make it too hard on the start n parkers the bottom could fall out of the field

#638 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 17:33

Yeah if you go back 10 years ago you needed Frank Kimmel in his ARCA equipment. Or more amusingly, Hideo Fukuyama.

#639 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 925 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:19

I'm surprised NASCAR just doesn't muscle certain owners out. Just being in the garage you know who's S&Ping to build funds and who's S&Ping just to get a paycheck with no serious desires to ever field a competitive team. I guess they're scared that if they pull licenses, a day might come where they don't have a 43 car field. For some reason, NASCAR is obsessed with having a full grid even though the bottom third of that grid will get probably 1% of airtime/media pub for the entire race weekend. They want them there but ignore them and almost loath them when they show up

Edited by nosaj100, 07 February 2013 - 00:21.

Advertisement

#640 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:24

We don't even notice the S&Ps retiring but for accidentally timed garage interviews with people surrendering in the background.

#641 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 00:38

Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates announces that Kyle Larson, the 2012 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East (NKNPSE) Champion will look to run a full-time NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule in 2013. Larson, the 20-year-old driver from Elk Grove, Calif. will attempt to make his series debut behind the wheel of the #32 Clorox Chevy Camaro fielded by Turner Scott Motorsports during Daytona Speedweeks in the DRIVE4COPD 300 NNS race on Feb. 23. The EGR development driver turned heads in NASCAR competition in 2012 when he won the NKNPSE Championship in his first year of driving stock cars. Larson, who is of Japanese-American descent, also claimed the first series championship for one of NASCAR's Drive for Diversity Program drivers.(Earnhardt Ganassi Racing)(2-6-2012)

#642 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:42

Chip has also said he's free to try out open-wheelers too.

#643 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:47

Pretty sure the 42 car is on it's last year for JPM and I'm not sure about 1 car but I believe JM's contract is up as well.
No doubt there is a stout line up of youngsters coming up in the bigs, looks like Chip, as are many others, are looking to youth.

#644 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:22

The Jayski Grid has Montoya listed as a 2013+ with a multi-year signed in 2011.

#645 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:26

Listening to a guy with a strong Scottish Brogue commentating on NASCAR in the 1970s is just so...strange. And I think how cosmopolitan NASCAR has become.

I'd love to sit down and talk to Jackie Stewart about his time commentating in the US.

#646 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,022 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:27

The Jayski Grid has Montoya listed as a 2013+ with a multi-year signed in 2011.

Yeah I remember that last season..doesn't Ganassi make a point of NOT publicizing his driver signings the way most teams do?

#647 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:30

Pretty sure the 42 car is on it's last year for JPM and I'm not sure about 1 car but I believe JM's contract is up as well.
No doubt there is a stout line up of youngsters coming up in the bigs, looks like Chip, as are many others, are looking to youth.

I read several articles during the Rolex 24 that stated Montoya was in the final year of his NASCAR contract. Here is one:

http://www.autoweek....nd_am/130129847

Montoya has only two wins in six seasons, made the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship only once, and finished a disappointing 22nd in the final standings last season with only two top-10s. He's in the final year of his contract with Ganassi, but said he's under no more pressure than usual to perform.

#648 Red17

Red17

• 3,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:52

17 Days to go! (Yes, I have checked and it's Feb 7 in Daytona)
Here is the mandatory Red 17.
Posted Image

#649 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 13:19

After updating the original 2013 Spotter’s Guide (published Jan. 10) multiple times, finally decided we might as well do a complete new edition, moving the story to the top of the feature queue. After all, things will be cranking up at Daytona next week. The few remaining car liveries that are not included yet will be added as they arrive. LINK:

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Spotter's Guide--the Final Edition | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Champeen:

Posted Image

#650 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,541 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 13:58

17 Days to go! (Yes, I have checked and it's Feb 7 in Daytona)
Here is the mandatory Red 17.
Posted Image

Note that is a Pontiac -- one of the last Pontiac-engined Pontiacs to run in NASCAR. David Pearson drove it, Ray Nichels built it, and a character named Chris Vallo put up the $$$. He was one of those guys who blew into NASCAR with sacks of cash and left just as quick.