* * * * - 7 votes

NASCAR 2013

• Please log in to reply
2621 replies to this topic

#1051 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 904 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 00:25

Just wanted to add to this a little more: if you watch ARCA, Grand-Am, K&N, or/and Trucks on SPEED - expect most, if not all, of that coverage to be moved to FuelTV next year.

Damn. I was fearing they'd move it to a higher tier channel. FuelTV is only available in my area on the most expensive cable package. There's no way I'm paying just to see that. Good thing there's the internet ;)

Advertisement

#1052 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:05

Okay, Trucks are staying at Fox Sports 1, the other stuff is still up in the air.

NASCAR has no plans for own TV network: With Speed going away on Aug. 17, leaving race fans with no motorsports-focused network, this might seem like the perfect opportunity for NASCAR to begin its own cable property. But no plans are in the works. "We still discuss it from time to time about having our own network  we still think about it and throw it around a little bit every once in a while," NASCAR Vice President of Broadcasting Steve Herbst said in a phone interview. "But I think what we'll find on FS1 is a consistent, strong, and maybe even an increased level of NASCAR programming as compared to Speed today. Without a 'NASCAR channel,' we'll still have a very healthy and robust amount of NASCAR programming on there that will satisfy our motorsports fans and reach a broader audience." Herbst said having Cup races, practices and qualifying on Fox Sports 1 could attract general sports fans that wouldn't necessarily tune into a motorsports channel. Still, there must be a balance between network and cable telecasts. NASCAR Chairman Brian France said last month that he hopes there are more network races in 2015  indicating that either ABC will add races or, more likely, NBC will get some races as part of the new television rights deal that goes into effect in 2015. Though Fox has re-signed, NASCAR has not yet completed its next TV deal. Herbst said that all Camping World Truck Series races will be on Fox Sports 1 and that they cannot be moved to other Fox channels, such as Fuel, which also could become a secondary sports channel. NASCAR has contracts with Fox Sports to televise several regional series and road-racing events. Those are one-year deals that expire after this season and could move to other networks.(Sporting News)(3-8-2013)

http://aol.sportingn...rams-broadcasts

Edited by Dilla, 08 March 2013 - 07:06.

#1053 Peat

Peat

• 1,216 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:07

Posted Image

"Thou shalt not speak out against the party.....i mean, series"

#1054 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,151 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:15

Posted Image

"Thou shalt not speak out against the party.....i mean, series"

That pic is freaking me out rofl

#1055 SR388

SR388

• 3,769 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:21

Y'all get a look at this?

http://atlantablacks...-nascar-status/

I remember hearing about her last year and after looking up her past results, there was very little there. I thought it looked a bit suspect. I hope her dishonesty won't dampen the chances for other young drivers.

#1056 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:20

Y'all get a look at this?

http://atlantablacks...-nascar-status/

I remember hearing about her last year and after looking up her past results, there was very little there. I thought it looked a bit suspect. I hope her dishonesty won't dampen the chances for other young drivers.

Iz it cos she's blaque?

#1057 SR388

SR388

• 3,769 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:49

Iz it cos she's blaque?

I'd say that it's because she's a knucklehead. Being black don't help though.

#1058 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:05

Hypothetical question based off the discussion about Jeff Gordon not having the drive to contend anymore. . . let's say that Gordon agrees and retires after the 2014 season. Who replaces him (disregarding sponsorship)?

Chase Joseph Gordon-Levitt-Elliott is supposedly heir apparent, but he would be too young and inexperienced to take over imo. He'll probably replace Jimmie Johnson or Jr. or something, eventually. Someone already established in Cup? Regan Smith?

Edited by Dilla, 12 March 2013 - 09:08.

#1059 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:12

Hypothetical question based off the discussion about Jeff Gordon not having the drive to contend anymore. . . let's say that Gordon agrees and retires after the 2014 season. Who replaces him (disregarding sponsorship)?

Chase Joseph Gordon-Levitt-Elliott is supposedly heir apparent, but he would be too young and inexperienced to take over imo. He'll probably replace Jimmie Johnson or Jr. or something, eventually. Someone already established in Cup? Regan Smith?

Whoever replaces him will make it strange for me. As a 5yo visiting my family in the US, I instantly took a liking of the 24 car and Jeff Gordon, while my dad went for Mark Martin. It will be extremely strange for me when they don't drive anymore, they've been there from the start for me.

Advertisement

#1060 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:37

Good question. Although I think we'll still see Gordon in 2015 and probably one or two years after that, whoever Hendrick chooses to replace the old-guard will more than likely be a driver currently in Nationwide or NCWTS.

But looking through the entry lists of all 3 series, I'm finding it difficult to come up with the perfect fill-in.
If we're putting aside allegiances, it could well be a Vickers, Stenhouse or Bayne.
Or a couple of years later (say 2017) a Buescher, Larson or Ryan Blaney.

#1061 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,622 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:17

In 2014 a driver like Ryan Blaney will be the same age that JG was when he got his Cup debut, so nothing is impossible.

I would like to see Blaney og Kwasniewski getting it.

Edited by Myrvold, 12 March 2013 - 16:18.

#1062 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:37

Why are you so big on Kwasniewski?

#1063 John B

John B

• 6,282 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:44

Mark Martin's success in 2009 seems like a very mixed blessing for Hendrick IIRC. He asked RH for 2 more years and Hendrick was obliged to keep him at the expense of Keselowski. This was shortly after losing Kyle Busch for Earnhardt, leaving three veterans now prone to dry spells and inconsistency. Luckily Johnson gave him a few titles as a diversion.

#1064 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:35

Good question. Although I think we'll still see Gordon in 2015 and probably one or two years after that, whoever Hendrick chooses to replace the old-guard will more than likely be a driver currently in Nationwide or NCWTS.

But looking through the entry lists of all 3 series, I'm finding it difficult to come up with the perfect fill-in.
If we're putting aside allegiances, it could well be a Vickers, Stenhouse or Bayne.
Or a couple of years later (say 2017) a Buescher, Larson or Ryan Blaney.

Out of these guys, I would say that Buescher or Larson is the most likely. Vickers left the Hendricks team on a reportedly sour note and while all may be forgiven, I doubt it's forgotten. Ford has been stingy with letting young drivers go to other teams since losing Kasey Kahne and Penske has space for more seats.

Buescher could work since Turner doesn't have a Cup team and I really doubt Ganassi could keep Larson with the current state of his team.

#1065 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:39

Out of these guys, I would say that Buescher or Larson is the most likely. Vickers left the Hendricks team on a reportedly sour note and while all may be forgiven, I doubt it's forgotten. Ford has been stingy with letting young drivers go to other teams since losing Kasey Kahne and Penske has space for more seats.

Buescher could work since Turner doesn't have a Cup team and I really doubt Ganassi could keep Larson with the current state of his team.

This was exactly my train of thought.
Turner already uses Hendrick power, And Buescher IS TSM. Has the wedding band to prove it. He'll probably move to NNS after this year's NCWTS championship, 1-2 years there and up to Cup in 2015/6. There'll be a sweet engine deal for Steve in the contract.

As far as Larson is concerned, Ganassi will likely be unable to keep him I agree. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the star aquistion at somewhere like MWR come 2016/7, blowing everyone's mind. :eek:

Now, who replaces Montoya?
(will gyro-cam technology advance to the point of being able to drive the car you think?)

#1066 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:47

I'd assume Larson is the primary to replace Montoya. Why fund and develop the guy to then have to race against him?

#1067 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:54

I'd assume Larson is the primary to replace Montoya. Why fund and develop the guy to then have to race against him?

I'm sure that is their plan. But most of their plans haven't really worked for them over the last few years.

#1068 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 20:19

Nelson Piquet.

#1069 Red17

Red17

• 3,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 21:30

Nelson Piquet.

Still a bit early, he's still on the 1st half of the ladder.

#1070 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,861 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 22:48

Still a bit early, he's still on the 1st half of the ladder.

NNS is the last step before Cup, plus he's spent 3 years in CWTS already :confused: Three road races will help give him a championship edge (judging by his dominant run at Road America last year).

#1071 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 22:57

It's still early for Piquet. He made good progress in Truck but he's got a ways to go.

#1072 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:00

NNS is the last step before Cup, plus he's spent 3 years in CWTS already :confused: Three road races will help give him a championship edge (judging by his dominant run at Road America last year).

2 years. In 2010 he only did 5 races. I expect him to stay in NNS for at least 2-3 years, and that's considering things go better than expected. He may have the opportunity to run a couple of races part-time in Cup though. Double-duty at Watkins Glen would be awesome.

#1073 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:02

The 51 would be open for the Glen, I guess; unless they go with Allmendinger, which is just as possible.

For some reason, I don't see Piquet moving to Hendrick, replacing Gordon or someone else. Don't know why, it's just a feeling I have. Maybe Ganassi or if Turner moves up seems more likely.

Edited by Dilla, 12 March 2013 - 23:08.

#1074 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:12

Come on guys, Piquet is nowhere near getting picked up by a well funded team. He's more likely to end up somewhere like Finch, or picking up extra Wood Brothers races, or other situations where they need money. We may not rate Ganassi's team but he has buying power and Piquet won't be on the shortlist.

#1075 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:16

For the record, I'm talking years down the road.

#1076 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:22

Me too. He'll be on the Marcos Ambrose trajectory if things go really well. There's too many other better/more experienced people, even a few years in the future.

#1077 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:36

The 51 would be open for the Glen, I guess; unless they go with Allmendinger, which is just as possible.

I just checked the Indycar schedule (AJ's doing Indycar this year, right?) and the Glen falls on an off-week. So you are probably correct.
However Indy races at Iowa on the same day as Cup runs Sonoma (6/23) so if he is doing Indy (i probably should just check this lol) the 51 may be available.
Of course Nationwide runs Road America the day before, but we've seen drivers do the double before. Reckon one of the smaller Cup teams could do a lot worse than give Piquet a run on an RC.

For some reason, I don't see Piquet moving to Hendrick, replacing Gordon or someone else. Don't know why, it's just a feeling I have. Maybe Ganassi or if Turner moves up seems more likely.

Same, unfortunately. Heck he might not ever get a shot at full-time Cup, at least in competitive machinery. Hope I'm wrong though.

#1078 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:50

He's going to have to contend and win on ovals regularly to be looked at. Cup owners would roll their eyes at road course victories because they don't matter on the grand scheme of things in Nationwide. They're (Montreal was especially) basically exhibition events.

I forgot JTG (since Ross brought up the Ambrose angle), they have a good business model and would probably run Piquet. Or Tommy Baldwin.

I just checked the Indycar schedule (AJ's doing Indycar this year, right?) and the Glen falls on an off-week. So you are probably correct.
However Indy races at Iowa on the same day as Cup runs Sonoma (6/23) so if he is doing Indy (i probably should just check this lol) the 51 may be available.

He is only scheduled for two races so far (Barber and the Indy 500), so odds are, Allmendinger will be available for Sonoma as well.

Edited by Dilla, 13 March 2013 - 00:29.

#1079 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:51

NP said he had a 3 year deal offer for 2013 from a small team from CUP, but turned it down in favor of a more solid progress. Some years in NNS.

Advertisement

#1080 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,711 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 23:53

Yeah, I remember that quote. I wonder who it was. . .

#1081 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 00:26

Piquet's progress has been mildly encouraging so far, but he hasn't shown anything yet that puts him in Cup at all, let alone a top team.

#1082 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,666 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:42

i could see a small team putting him in for road courses

#1083 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:00

Hendrick could take back Keselowski ^^
that's where he should have been if he hadn't come to sprint cup 1 year too early

#1084 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,146 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:02

If we're going to start Wild Ass speculation guessing who will replace who down the road, shouldn't the thread be re-named "NASCAR 2015 and Beyond" :D

#1085 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:40

If we're going to start Wild Ass speculation guessing who will replace who down the road, shouldn't the thread be re-named "NASCAR 2015 and Beyond" :D

NASCAR ASSpeculation thread :lol:

#1086 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,622 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 00:30

Why are you so big on Kwasniewski?

Good question. I don't know why I tend to like certain drivers. I know I like underdogs, or long time strugglers. Also tend to like the drivers that does something unusual (Robby Gordon is an example). Then there sometimes comes a driver that doesn't fit in, which I suddenly become a huge fan of. Kwasniewski is one of these. I really don't know.

#1087 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:31

NASCAR ASSpeculation thread :lol:

You're right on the borderline there...
Jp

#1088 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,304 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:38

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

Don't know if you have seen this vid, pretty funny.
Jeff Gordon wears a disguise and takes a used car dealer on Mr. Toad's wild ride...

#1089 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:48

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

Don't know if you have seen this vid, pretty funny.
Jeff Gordon wears a disguise and takes a used car dealer on Mr. Toad's wild ride...

:rotfl:
I worked on a hidden-cam prank commercial yesterday. Wish the results were as fun as this!
Made my day :lol:

#1090 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:56

That's fake as all get out, but it was pretty good.

#1091 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,622 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:39

Nordic (Norwegian & Swedish) Viasat Motor is actually broadcasting the K&N race at Bristol this weekend! Sadly the Swedish hero Alx Danielsson (yup, the same guy who won a F1 Test for Renault after winning Formula Renault 3.5 in 2006), didn't qualify for the race. So, that will put a damper on the race for us. Anyway, going to be great to actually watch a K&N race live for once! :D

#1092 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:45

They've started a topic about it !!!
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=182448

Jp

#1093 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 23:38

Looks like Denny is sticking by his guns.
"No way! We won't pay!"
(he didn't really say that)

Edited by gm914, 14 March 2013 - 23:39.

#1094 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:15

Looks like Denny is sticking by his guns.
"No way! We won't pay!"
(he didn't really say that)

:lol: Denny will become NASCAR's Wesley Snipes.

#1095 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:16

He's not though, because NASCAR will hold him upside down until it falls out of his pockets.

So Denny gets to be 'defiant' but NASCAR gets paid. And the wording of his statement basically says he caved.

#1096 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:31

Ross, when you get that ARCA drive going, and you inevitably refuse to pay your fine (I mean come on you are going to get fined), may I suggest hanging a baked potato from your rear-view mirror.

Posted Image
"Garnish this, bitches!"

#1097 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:42

That took me a moment to get. Which makes me think the joke will be lost on *a lot* of people.

#1098 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:48

That took me a moment to get. Which makes me think the joke will be lost on *a lot* of people.

I'd like to think we have a pretty knowledgable baked potato crowd here.

#1099 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,020 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:49

I'm pushing ARCA back to 2014, provisionally. It's doable, but my god it's going to be swimming in the deep end.

Advertisement

#1100 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,861 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:54

He's not though, because NASCAR will hold him upside down until it falls out of his pockets

Well as others have said, they'd deduct it from his winnings if he refused to pay up. Which is what they plan to do:

"NASCAR responded to Hamlin’s statement, saying that the fine will be settled per Section 12-3 of the 2013 NASCAR rule book, which allows the sanctioning body to deduct unpaid penalties from the driver’s purse or point fund earnings. NASCAR “considers this matter closed.”"