Photo

Tasman Revival 2012

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:32

Looks like Ed has been too busy to flag this but I hope to see all the 'old' faces out there this weekend.

Weather forecast is very promising.

http://www.tasmanrevival.com/

Posted Image

Edited by Wirra, 19 November 2012 - 09:50.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:47

I'll be there Friday and part of Sunday, Peter...

Look forward to seeing you some time. Give me a call.

#3 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:57

I,ll be there on Sunday to catch up with TNF,ers.

#4 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:57

Ray - Is there any set time for a book signing or do we have to carry them around all day trying to spot the contributors - some of whom may be hard to recognise!

#5 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:39

Like others, I will be there on Sunday...committed to look after grandkids on Saturday ): :)

Pat

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:41

Peter, I expect that while I am there I'll spend most of my time in the marquee with the books...

The pre-signed leather bound edition, available for the first time this weekend, carries lots of signatures already. I don't know what other arrangements have been made.

I will e.mail you with a suggestion...

Pat, would you possibly have a code reader you could bring along?

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 21:09

Looks like Ed has been too busy to flag this but I hope to see all the 'old' faces out there this weekend.

Weather forecast is very promising.

http://www.tasmanrevival.com/

Did anyone catch Brian Wiltshires Tasman Revival remininiscences last nite on radio 2GB Sydney?? Sounds like the talkback was a cracker! :) ....topics covered (I am told):

- Stirling Moss at Warwick Farm
- Barry Lake(?) twinni gogo hillclimber....Mrs Lake used to drive it to the shops!
- D Types
- 5 Litre VW fastback
- a track at Yass...hmmmmmm
- and last but not least...

Greg Mackie at Catalina, in "de spare", reversing the rims on his dub to get traction!

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 20 November 2012 - 21:08.

#8 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:31

Saturday and Sunday.

Click-click. Scribble scribble.

Bruce Moxon

#9 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:42

Greg Mackie at Catalina, in "de spare", reversing the rims on his dub to get traction!

Crikey Mick, who said that? I NEVER,EVER reversed the wheels [I assume that's what was referred to - a dangerous practice carrried out by a few dangerous VW drivers].

My rear wheels were Customline rims [15"X5"], welded to VW centres. Front wheels were stock VW [15"X4"]. Traction was never a problem.

It sometimes amazes me what people come out with......journalists included.

#10 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:55

Crikey Mick, who said that? I NEVER,EVER reversed the wheels [I assume that's what was referred to - a dangerous practice carrried out by a few dangerous VW drivers].

My rear wheels were Customline rims [15"X5"], welded to VW centres. Front wheels were stock VW [15"X4"]. Traction was never a problem.

Out with which people come. Never end a sentence a preposition with. That is the kind of thing, up with which, I will not put!

Pretty hard to locate the wheels when they're on backwards - to tapers to seat the studs / nuts, for one. Young bloke helping with my rally car once fitted the nuts backwards (tapers facing outwards). I didn't get very far up the road before I discovered the problem (MASSIVE vibration). I didn't yell at him or anything - he just didn't know 'cause nobody ever told him any different.

Back to the Tasman. Sorry folks.

BM

#11 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49

It all starts tomorrow - 11 containers to be unloaded - 47 overseas cars.

A lot of the local cars will start arriving tomorrow too for private practice Thursday.

A lot of info is on our website http://www.tasmanrevival.com/

I'll be in the first U shaped marquee western end (dummy grid end) of the pits, black BT6 with No.17 on it.

Someone should make a time to meet at the Memorabillia Tent the other end of the pits so all the TNFers can say g'day - will leave that one u to someone else to decide.

John Ellacott will be in the Tent a lot of the time.

This is our 4th running - 8 years now of a great bunch of guys working together.

Ed

#12 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:22

I will be there helping out Peter Schell and John Ellacott in the Memorabilia Tent on both Saturday and Sunday.

I'm sure I will see plenty of TNFers during the course of the two days... :wave:

#13 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:02

GM...this was a quote from a person amongst a jumble of other quotes....I am getting hold of the radio transcript so that you can mount (get it?) the legal challenge :)
[to be fair, Mackie may just have been mentioned in passing....along with another dubber who tried the reverse wheels thing]

#14 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 3,023 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:12

Pat, would you possibly have a code reader you could bring along?

Sorry Ray, but I won't be in the office before then and anything I might have has Hyundai specific software. Is your 'check engine' light on?

Pat

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02

Yeah, it's been on for months!

It's gone off twice, both times for only 300kms or so, one of those times was when my stepson was here with his code reader.

#16 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08

15x6. I did that with FJs!!

#17 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25

Here we go, yet again, another thread attempting to create a Guinness Book record for the number of off-topic posts!

#18 racer69

racer69

• 225 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:18

I'll be at the Tasman Revival for my 4th time, can't wait :)

Edited by racer69, 20 November 2012 - 12:19.

#19 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:56

Unfortunately the newly restored Elfin that won the first Australian Fj cha
Pionship won't be running as the engine blew up on the dyno

Advertisement

#20 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 19:56

#21 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:19

Yeah, those little Fords do that !

I'll be there with the Nota Major no, 64 in JKL, look forward to saying hello to any fellow TNF members. Probably parked up the back of the skid pan as I can't afford a garage/marquee space.

#22 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 20:46

CLASSIC TASMAN SERIES DAYS SET TO BE RE-LIVED IN SYDNEY THIS WEEKEND

The classic days of the Tasman motor racing series are set to be re-lived in Sydney this weekend as historic motor racing enthusiasts from around the world gather at the Sydney Motorsport Park (nee Eastern Creek) for Australia's biennial Tasman Revival meeting.

Well over 300 entries have been received for the meeting with a strong New Zealand presence spearheaded by seven local MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series regulars, Stan Redmond, Ian Clements, Russell Greer (Lola T332), Chris Lambden (McRae GM1), Lindsay O'Donnell (Begg FM5), David Abbott (Lola T430) and Alan Dunkley (Lola T140).

Formula 5000 is one of the feature classes on the programme at the meeting with four races planned, the first six-lapper on Friday afternoon, two more on Saturday and a 12-lap feature final on Sunday.

Joining the seven Kiwis on the grid will be eight Australians, Jay Bondini, Paul Zazryn, Andrew Robson (Lola T332), Tom Tweedie (Chevron B24), Bill Hemming (Elfin MR8), Aaron Lewis (Matich A50), Bruce Leeson (McLaren M10B) and Rod Carroll (Lola T140), one American, Eric Haga (Lola T190) and one Englishman, Greg Thornton (McRae GM1).

Also expected to join the F5000 cars in their races is MSC series regular Phil Mauger in his ex Denny Hulme McLaren M23 Formula 1 car, and there is a strong possibility that top former category driver Richard Davison (father of V8 Supercar drivers Will and Alex) will appear in the family-owed Lola T332.

After two points rounds of this season's MSC F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series defending champion Steve Ross from Dunedin holds a 33 point lead over fellow McRae GM1 driver Aaron Burson with former series title holder Ken Smith (Lola T430) third just one point back.

After this weekend's non-championship round in Sydney the series resumes in January at the two NZ Festival of Motor Racing - Denny Hulme meetings at Hampton Downs in January before heading south for the annual Skope Classic meeting at Christchurch's Powerbuilt Tools Raceway at Ruapuna Park in February.

The MSC F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series is organised and run with the support of sponsors MSC, NZ Express Transport, Bonney's Specialized Bulk Transport, Mobil Lubricants, Pacifica, Avon Tyres and Exide.

Calendar
Rnd 3: Nov 23-25 2012 Tasman Revival meeting Sydney Motorsport Park (Eastern Creek) Sydney (non-points)
Rnd 4: Jan 18-20 2013 NZ Festival of Motor Racing - Denny Hulme meeting x 1 Hampton Downs Auckland
Rnd 5: Jan 25-27 2013 NZ Festival of Motor Racing - Denny Hulme meeting x 2 Hampton Downs Auckland
Rnd 6: Feb 01-03 2013 Skope Classic meeting Powerbuilt Tools Raceway @ Ruapuna Park Christchurch

Prepared by FAST COMPANY of behalf of the New Zealand Formula 5000 Association www.F5000.co.nz For more information about the 2012/13 MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series contact Ross MacKay on 021 677 919 or via e-mail on ross@fastcompany.co.nz

#23 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:03

I look foreword to meeting other TNF members there.

#24 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 00:14

I am competing in my March 74B Atlantic , garage 19 .

Bryan Miller.

#25 pallas1970

pallas1970

• 271 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 00:31

I will be there in the Lotus Super Seven, M Sports, racing no. 3, in Marquee 9 next to the Memorabilia display and cafe, look forward to meeting any TNF'ers, James

#26 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 00:46

Ken - Any chance you could throw a 'bitsa' engine in just to have it run around - I and many other would love to see it.

#27 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:05

The Group O race should be very interesting, there are a lot of very quick guys in quite similar cars, and Ed, trust you will put plenty of air between you and that Lotus 32 in the Group M race.

Like the Elfin FJ another debutante FJ, Lotus 27/JM/35 one of two missing works cars that BT35-8 found last year, wont make it.

Edited by Andrew Fellowes, 21 November 2012 - 01:16.

#28 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:09

It will be a static display in the memorabilia marquee.

#29 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:51

Does anyone know if Wally Willmot will be in attendance, if so who will be spannering for.

#30 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:23

Good shot of JB to celebrate what will hopefully be a cracking meeting. Just finished packing the camera gear for Saturday (can't make Sunday). Can't wait to see a good field of F5000's into Turn 1!

Posted Image

#31 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:23

I'll be there, for sure on Saturday and possibly Sunday, hanging over the spectator fence. I'm still not too sure about only one longer race on the Sunday for each category. Casual spectators would enjoy seeing all classes twice for the day, even if they are shorter races.
For the competitor though, after possible private practice on the Thursday, qualifying and racing on the Friday, and then two races on the Saturday, one good length race on the Sunday is probably enough for both car and driver.
After watching the Aust. Historic Motorcycle Championships at SMP last weekend, and the Tasman Revival this coming weekend, before heading across the ditch for the Denny Hulme Festival in January and then the Phillip Island Historics in March, while squeezing in an Historic Wakefield Park in February and a possible Easter Historics at Mallala, I think I am going to have to look for a sponsor just for being a spectator. :)

#32 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:04

I'll be there, for sure on Saturday and possibly Sunday, hanging over the spectator fence. I'm still not too sure about only one longer race on the Sunday for each category. Casual spectators would enjoy seeing all classes twice for the day, even if they are shorter races.
For the competitor though, after possible private practice on the Thursday, qualifying and racing on the Friday, and then two races on the Saturday, one good length race on the Sunday is probably enough for both car and driver.
After watching the Aust. Historic Motorcycle Championships at SMP last weekend, and the Tasman Revival this coming weekend, before heading across the ditch for the Denny Hulme Festival in January and then the Phillip Island Historics in March, while squeezing in an Historic Wakefield Park in February and a possible Easter Historics at Mallala, I think I am going to have to look for a sponsor just for being a spectator. :)

Yes I know the feeling. To go to PI was a $800 trip, just from Adelaide doing every thing on the cheap. Great event though.

#33 ken devine

ken devine

• 902 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:43

I have come all the way from WA for this event the cost was worthwhile just to see real racing cars racing.

#34 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03

Huge fields.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:06

Quality cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 23:29

Does any one have details on the Rod Jolley Lister Jaguar Monza 1958 open wheeler which has the alloy body covering the car.

#37 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 00:16

I don't have the details but here are a couple of snaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(edit)
Rod Jolley’s Lister Jaguar Monzanapolis was built by Ecurie Ecosse to compete in The Two Worlds Trophy, held at Monza in 1957 and 1958 and co-promoted by the Automobile Club of Milan and USAC (United States Auto Club). Run over 3x63 lap heats, its entry matched Offenhauser powered Indycars against Maserati 250Fs, Jaguar D types and Ferrari’s 296 and 375 Indycar on the 30 degree banked circuit. Superbly presented then as now, in polished aluminium, it’s a reminder of what might have been when F1 first met Indycar.

http://www.ferrariow...rtimao/text.asp

Edited by Wirra, 24 November 2012 - 00:26.

#38 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:08

Just perusing Natsoft and the S&T race had a full field of DNF. What happened? Start line bingle or they just ran out of day?
Also Phil Mauger fron NZ in 5000 is down as 3000. A misprint or a F1 car? And with that name is he any relation to Ivan who could ride a solo a little!

#39 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:53

Lee - I don't know the outcome of that race as I left just after the start (see photo taken from the car park). It had been delayed while they cleared some carnage from previous events; however, a full FJ race was run afterwards.

Posted Image

Phil Mauger in his ex Denny Hulme McLaren M23 Formula 1 car - (see Jerry's post #22)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42

I don't have the details but here are a couple of snaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(edit)
Rod Jolley’s Lister Jaguar Monzanapolis was built by Ecurie Ecosse to compete in The Two Worlds Trophy, held at Monza in 1957 and 1958 and co-promoted by the Automobile Club of Milan and USAC (United States Auto Club). Run over 3x63 lap heats, its entry matched Offenhauser powered Indycars against Maserati 250Fs, Jaguar D types and Ferrari’s 296 and 375 Indycar on the 30 degree banked circuit. Superbly presented then as now, in polished aluminium, it’s a reminder of what might have been when F1 first met Indycar.

http://www.ferrariow...rtimao/text.asp

Thanks Wirra, this car is just GOB SMACKING in looks :clap:

#41 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:50

2012/13 MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series
Rnd 3 (non-championship)
Tasman Revival meeting

Sydney Motorsport Park

SAT REPORT

Posted Image
Visiting British driver Greg Thornton leading Alan Dunkley

NEW CAR JUST THE TICKET FOR THORNTON

A new car has proved just the ticket for visiting British driver Greg Thornton at the big Tasman Revival classic motor racing meeting in Sydney this weekend.

Thornton won both today's F5000 category races at Sydney Motorsport Park in his ex Stuart Lush McRae GM1 and says he couldn't be happier with his latest purchase.

"I'm over the moon, " he said after leading home fastest qualifier and Friday race winner Andrew Robson in the second of today's six-lap races at the Sydney Motorsport Park. "I should have bought a Kiwi car years ago!"

Thornton owns several classic racing cars but was forced to look for a new MSC NZ F5000 series mount when the ex Peter Gethin Chevron B24 and ex Sam Posey Surtees TS8 he has previously raced here were badly damaged by fire earlier this year.

Both cars are being rebuilt but Thornton didn't want to rush the job so he bought the McRae, a car he is familiar with but only got to sit in for the first time on Thursday.

The GM1, designed and built by acclaimed New Zealand driver and car designer/constructor Graham McRae, has always been a popular choice amongst MSC NZ F5000 series drivers. And now that he has driven one Thornton says he understands why.

"It is very nimble, very responsive and talks to you as a driver in a way that other cars don't."

Though the weekend's races do not carry points for the 2012/13 MSC NZ F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series, the meeting attracted a 17-strong category entry with a fairly even split of drivers from Australia and New Zealand and the balance made up Thornton from Great Britain and Eric Haga and US-based Australian Bruce Lesson from the United States.

Top local driver Andrew Robson, driving the original ex Ken Smith Lola T332, was comfortably the quickest qualifier and went on to win the meeting's first F5000 category race on Friday from Thornton and giant-killing young Kiwi Alan Dunkley in one of the early high-wing Lola T140s, but Robson was forced to retire from the lead in the first of two races today (Saturday) with a flat rear tyre, meaning he had to start the second from P13 on the grid.

That he was able to work his way back up to second place behind Thornton in just six laps proved he had the pace, but to his credit Thornton set the fastest race lap, setting up a fascinating scenario for tomorrow's 12-lap F5000 category feature.

Behind Thornton and Robson the field was fairly evenly matched with young gun Dunkley duking it out for the final poridum place with Australian Paul Zazryn (Lola T332), expat Kiwi Chris Lambden (McRae GM1), and fellow Kiwis Ian Clements, Russell Greer (both Lola T332) and Stan Redmond (Lola T333CS).

Local category stalwart Aaron Lewis (Matich A50) was second quickest in qualifying but had throttle problems in the first two races. Eric Haga and Bruce Lesson also struggled with issues in the first two races but had them sorted for the third.

The crowd favourite though?

That had to be Alan Dunkley, the young Aucklander running where no Class A (for early model cars) have run before, despite damage caused by a spinning car on Thursday forcing he, his father Paul and a small group of helpers to miss the rest of the practice sessions as they repaired the nose cone and radiator.

Brushing aside the early setback Dunkley set the fourth quickest lap time in the qualifying session on Saturday morning before finishing third in the first race, runner-up to Thornton in the second and fifth in the third.

After this weekend's non-championship round in Sydney the MSC NZ F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Seires resumes in January at the two NZ Festival of Motor Racing - Denny Hulme meetings at Hampton Downs in January before heading south for the annual Skope Classic meeting at Christchurch's Powerbuilt Tools Raceway at Ruapuna Park in February.

report sent site: Ross MacKay/Fast Company
photo: Fast Company/Grant Paterson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 24 November 2012 - 09:25.

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:54

Posted Image
Fastest qualifier Andrew Robson
Qualifying
1. Andrew Robson (Lola T332) 1:28.7553
2. Aaron Lewis (Matich A50) 1:31.1019
3. David Abbott (Lola T430) 1:31.6655
4. Alan Dunkley (Lola T140) 1:31.7864
5. Greg Thornton (McRae GM1)1:31.9738
6. Russell Greer (Lola T332) 1:32.2339
7. Ian Clements (Lola T332)1:32.7127
8. Chris Lambden (McRae GM1) 1:32.8759
9. Stan Redmond (Lola T333)1:33.3565
10. Bruce Leeson (McLaren M10B) 1:33.3621
11. Paul Zazryn (Lola T332) 1:33.3916
12. Bill Hemming (Elfin MR8) 1:36.1056
13. Lindsay O'Donnell (Begg FM5) 1:36.7656
14. Rod Carroll (Lola T140) 1:38.3343
15. Phil Mauger (McLaren M23 F1)1:39.5509
16. Eric Haga (Lola T190) 1:41.5843
17. Jay Bondini (Lola T332) 1:45.2756

Race 1 (Fri 6 laps)
1. Andrew Robson 9:08.9903
2. Greg Thornton 9:15.7314
3. Alan Dunkley 9:26.9447
4. Chris Lambden 9:30.4474
5. Paul Zazryn 9:30.6675
6. Russell Greer 9:31.9548
7. Ian Clements 9:33.5357
8. Bill Hemming 9:47.4462
9. Lindsay O'Donnell 9:48.6710
10. David Abbott 9:57.4721
11. Phil Mauger 9:59.5539
12. Rod Carroll 10:00.3112
13. Jay Bondini 10:25.1200
DNF. Eric Haga, Stan Redmond Aaron Lewis Bruce Leeson

Fastest lap: Andrew Robson 1:30.1357*

Race 2 (Sat 6 laps)
1. Greg Thornton 9:16.5704
2. Alan Dunkley 9:20.5197
3. Chris Lambden 9:23.4111
4. Paul Zazryn 9:23.9656
5. Ian Clements 9:24.9776
6. Russell Greer 9:38.6667
7. Stan Redmond 9:38.8706
8. David Abbott 9:40.1687
9. Bill Hemming 9:47.4725
10. Rod Carroll 9:50.5962
11. Phil Mauger 9:58.6348
DNF. Aaron Lewis, Andrew Robson, Jay Bondini, Bruce Leeson, Eric Haga
Fastest lap Andrew Robson 1:30.8665

Race 3 (Sat 6 laps)
1. Greg Thornton 9:14.1892
2. Andrew Robson 9:23.2945
3. Paul Zazryn 9:26.3968
4. Chris Lambden 9:30.6910
5. Alan Dunkley 9:31.2898
6. Ian Clements 9:31.6323
7. Russell Greer 9:37.5090
8. Stan Redmond 9:37.8186
9. Aaron Lewis 9:39.9789
10. Bruce Leeson 9:43.8000
11. David Abbott 9:44.9173
12. Phil Mauger 9:48.5595
13. Bill Hemming 9:50.0953
14. Lindsay O'Donnell 9:50.3617
15. Eric Haga 10:34.1020
DNF Jay Bondini
Fastest lap: Greg Thornton 1:30.8805

Report sent site: Ross MacKay/Fast Company

Edited by Jerry Entin, 24 November 2012 - 09:14.

#43 Murray Lord

Murray Lord

• 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:44

I have posted a small photo gallery from today's racing at http://www.pbase.com...rd/ectasman2012. Here are a couple of examples:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: I have added a few more shots since I first put the link up.

Edited by Murray Lord, 25 November 2012 - 02:49.

#44 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:38

Thornton and Dunkley cars beingi prepared for today race.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:17

My feet hurt.

I'm tired.

Bruce Moxon

#46 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41

a very tiring business in the heat...

Posted Image

some cars needed minor adjustments...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Loved the KMRD!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:44

Nice March...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14

HISTORIC RACING CLUB/NZ FORMULA 5000 ASSOCIATION
2012/13 MSC New Zealand F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series
Rnd 3 (non-championship)
Tasman Revival meeting

Posted Image
All-Australian podium in the final Formula 5000 race at the Tasman Revival meeting in Sydney with (from left) second-placed Paul Zazryn, winner Andrew Robson and third-placed Chris Lambden.

ANDREW ROBSON TOPS ALL-AUSTRALIAN PODIUM IN SYDNEY F5000 FINAL
The hosts got their revenge in the 10-lap feature Formula 5000 final at the Tasman Revival historic motor racing meeting in Sydney on Sunday with Andrew Robson (Lola T332) topping an all-Australian podium.
Melbourne man Robson set the fastest lap time in qualifying and won the first of the big biennial event's four F5000 category races on Friday but was forced out of the second on Saturday morning by a puncture, leaving visiting British driver Greg Thornton to win that race and the next in his newly acquired McRae GM1.

Thornton also led Sunday's 10-lap final for the first three laps before his McRae's engine overheated, gifting the lead and eventual victory to Robson from fellow Victorians Paul Zazryn (Lola T332) and Chris Lambden (McRae GM1).

Lambden got an early jump on Robson off the line but Robson was back into second before the end of the first lap and Lambden was relegated to third by Paul Zazryn a lap later.

Category young gun Alan Dunkley (Lola T140) was again in the hunt early on, only to have a ball-joint in his car's gear change mechanism break. Fellow Kiwi Russell Greer was also out early, in his case becasue of a broken brake caliper.

That left two-time former MSC NZ F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series champion Ian Clements in fourth place ahead of an entertaining battle for fifth eventually settled in favour of David Abbott (Lola T430).

With fellow series stalwart Stan Redmond (Lola T333 CS) Abbott slowly but surely worked his way forward, starting 13th and pipping Redmond - who had been eighth at the end of the first lap and got to fifth by lap six - for fifth on the final lap.

The other big mover in Sunday's race was US-based Australian Bruce Leeson (McLaren M10B) who was ninth at the end of the first lap but who got as high as fifth mid-race before being reeled in and shuffled back to seventh by Redmond and Abbott.

The focus of the MSC NZ F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series now returns to New Zealand with the next two rounds at the NZ Festival of Motor Racing - Denny Hulme meetings at Hampton Downs in January. The series then heads south for the annual Skope Classic meeting at Christchurch's Powerbuilt Tools Raceway at Ruapuna Park in February.

The MSC F5000 Tasman Cup Revival Series is organised and run with the support of sponsors MSC, NZ Express Transport, Bonney's Specialized Bulk Transport, Mobil Lubricants, Pacifica, Avon Tyres and Exide.

report sent site Ross MacKay/Fast Company

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 November 2012 - 11:24.

#49 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:19

Posted Image
Andrew Robson (#63) on his way to winning the race.
Race 4 (Sunday) 10 Laps
1. Andrew Robson (Lola T332) 15:39.6796
2. Paul Zazryn (Lola T332) 15:49.9930
3. Chris Lambden (McRae GM1) 15:57.9440
4. Ian Clements (Lola T332) 15:58.3667
5. David Abbott (Lola T430) 15:59.8065
6. Stan Redmond (Lola T333 CS) 16:00.3078
7. Bruce Leeson (McLaren M10B) 16:00.6481
8. Bill Hemming (Elfin MR8)16:00.9047
9. Rod Carroll (Lola T140) 16:16.3586
10. Aaron Lewis (Matich A50) 16:20.2618
11. Jay Bondini (Lola T332) 15:44.6814
12. Eric Haga (Lola T10) 17:03.8045
DNF Greg Thornton, Alan Dunkley, Russell Greer

results sent site: Ross MacKay/Fast Company
photo:Fast Company/ Grant Paterson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 November 2012 - 11:42.

#50 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:42

Posted Image
Chris Lambden (#27) leading Paul Zazryn (#24), Alan Dunkley and Ian Clements

photo: Fast Company/ Grant Paterson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 25 November 2012 - 11:45.