Photo

Bernie : 3 races in USA within next 3 years

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:36

i was watching the post race show on skyf1 and in the interview with bernie E, simon asked on the prospect on the possible GP in California and bernie in response said positive vibe and predicted 3 gp's in USA within next 3 years.

to watch this, visit the link on youtube ...

Bernie : 3 gp's in USA in 3 years

so which existing races will be under the 'Guillotine' ??? will it be

1.German GP (hockenheim/nurburgring) - financial difficulties
2.Australian GP (albert's park) - always in money trouble
3.korean GP - doesn't work at all
4.Spanish GP/European GP (valencia/barcelona) - boring races/money trouble in EU.

so what do you people think about it???

Advertisement

#2 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39

We have one great race at a good, well organised and supported circuit and they're already trying to drown it in a sea of others.

Sigh.

#3 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:43

If the courses are as good as COTA then I'm all for it.

#4 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:51

If the courses are as good as COTA then I'm all for it.

I doubt there's anywhere else in the US that has money to build a circuit from scratch at the moment. It'll be two street circuits. We can all hope for somewhere like Road America but it's never going to happen unfortunately.

#5 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:55

I doubt there's anywhere else in the US that has money to build a circuit from scratch at the moment. It'll be two street circuits. We can all hope for somewhere like Road America but it's never going to happen unfortunately.

It'd better be two stunning street circuits then. This venue raised the bar very high, and if they want F1 to finally be a resounding success in the US (although F1's profile in the US is underrated - there's a big fanbase there, proved by attendances in the Indy GP and this weekend), they'd better keep it that high.

If they had 3 F1 races like yesterday's in the US I think it was fun enough to attract new fans, even folks from NASCAR territory. It's almost impossible to guarantee good races though, even if the circuits would be ace.

#6 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:03

It'd better be two stunning street circuits then.

And herein lies the problem. It's much more difficult to make a decent street circuit.

Presumably if the New Jersey race happens then Bernie would like something on the west coast for the third.

#7 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16

maybe Los Angeles GP? there are few hills over there, they could produce pretty nice track over there (but please god, no more street circuits)
But what to ditch? hard to tell... only boring race this year was Monaco tbh (I mean overtake-wise). Lets just add 2 races and done. With Russia and Mexico lets have 24 races!

#8 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:23

I hope Bernie isn't entertaining thoughts of taking over the Long Beach Grand Prix. :|

#9 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25

Why not Laguna seca?

Or street race thru Hollywood Blvd?

#10 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29

I hope Bernie isn't entertaining thoughts of taking over the Long Beach Grand Prix. :|

Well IndyCar seems to be imploding at the moment so it might only be a matter of time...

#11 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:30

Why not Laguna seca?

laguna seca does not meet safety requirements.

plus far too much gravel lol!

#12 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:36

Why not Laguna seca?

Just imagine Vergne and Maldonado going side by side into the cork screw.

#13 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:38

Just imagine Vergne and Maldonado going side by side into the cork screw.

I'd rather F1 didn't go to Laguna if it saves the venue from being blighted by pointless "technical" sections and tarmac runoff.

#14 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:43

I know it cannot happen due to not meeting the safety regulations but I'd love to see an F1 race at Road America, Sonoma or Laguna Seca. The run offs are inadequate for F1's strict safety standards but current F1 drivers have it too easy now IMO and take liberties when exploring the boundaries without really paying the price in time. Obviously we don't want people getting hurt but I reckon an F1 race on one of the classic American road courses (of which there are many!) would be amazing.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 19 November 2012 - 10:43.

#15 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:43

Road Atlanta is an absolute gem of a circuit,

But would Bernie and Co want to target that state for a F1 market ... probably not.

#16 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:47

Why not Laguna seca?

You can try Laguna Seca in iRacing. It has a laser scanned centimeter accurate version and a Williams F1 car with close cooperation with there Williams Simulator. I can tell you while this track is great fun for hotlapping with elevation changes, the straights are fairly short for an F1 car and there is really no place to overtake at all. The FIA would have Tilke redesign the track and add hairpins to it and pussyfy every exciting corner.

Road America would be the greatest track in Formula 1, but they would also completely butcher the place with asphalt run off areas. Then there would also be Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta.

Edited by Kucki, 19 November 2012 - 10:49.

#17 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:49

so which existing races will be under the 'Guillotine' ??? will it be

1.German GP (hockenheim/nurburgring) - financial difficulties
2.Australian GP (albert's park) - always in money trouble
3.korean GP - doesn't work at all
4.Spanish GP/European GP (valencia/barcelona) - boring races/money trouble in EU.

so what do you people think about it???

German GP won't be axed, too important for the industry. Australia will stay as well.

I can't see Bahrain holding on very much longer.

#18 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55

German GP won't be axed, too important for the industry. Australia will stay as well.

But Bahrain has all these rich guys behind it... + it is brilliant track :S and this year there was just brilliant race

#19 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:56

have u been reading news recently??? both tracks are at financial turmoil, yes germany has a huge auto industry , but they seems less enthusiastic about bailing out nurburgring.

bahrain on the other hand has the polar opposite problem, loads of cash, country in turmoil. but i think bahrain is safe for now (or atleast as long as Herr bernie lives.)

Advertisement

#20 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:59

Maybe best to wait til the shine is off Austin, see how things go in the coming years. What a great event but we should know how Bernie operates. First year everything smells like roses, then he starts to bitch as he enters renegotiating mode.

#21 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:03

Laguna Seca? Great track no doubt but that would be almost as processional as Monaco. The straights are very short and it's very narrow too.

Not sure when was the last time I watched a race there, I think it was Indycar or A1GP. Even they struggled big time with overtaking, F1 is far worse.

#22 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13

Maybe best to wait til the shine is off Austin, see how things go in the coming years. What a great event but we should know how Bernie operates. First year everything smells like roses, then he starts to bitch as he enters renegotiating mode.

i think on the contrary, both india and COTA will shine even more with time. remember this year, we had processional races at SPA/monza (sort of)/monaco (always) of all places, where bahrain, abu dhabi, valencia, barcelona produced great races.

#23 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:46

have u been reading news recently??? both tracks are at financial turmoil, yes germany has a huge auto industry , but they seems less enthusiastic about bailing out nurburgring.

bahrain on the other hand has the polar opposite problem, loads of cash, country in turmoil. but i think bahrain is safe for now (or atleast as long as Herr bernie lives.)

OT - Bahrain is not a really rich oil state like Qatar or Abu Dhabi and the economy is suffering from the ongoing protests.

#24 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:11

Dont we have enough circuits already?

#25 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:15

I'd like to see 24 races in F1 calendar tbh. 1 in Moscow, AT LEAST 1 more in south America, or 2 Africa

#26 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35

Let me ask a stupid question, Long Beach is in which coast?

#27 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35

How about grand prix of Lebanon

#28 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:04

Whatever, as long as FIA/F1 doesn't touch/sterilize/sanitize/rape and come even close to any of these fantastic circuits

Road Atlanta
Road America
Laguna Seca
VIR
Barber
Sears Point
Pacific Raceway
Portland
Mid-Ohio
Lime Rock
Sebring
Daytona infield
Watkins Glen

(Don't really care about Miller, NJMP and non-Daytona rovals so I left those out of the list)

Any street circuit on the other hand (EXCEPT Long Beach, hands off!), well you're welcome - it is unlikely that you're really gonna ruin those. Baltimore Grand Prix with all of it's bumps, railroad tracks and weird chicanes could be kinda fun with F1s actually, lol. Not that I actually think that these princes and princesses would ever head there but it is an amusing thought

Edited by SonnyViceR, 19 November 2012 - 13:11.

#29 natureboy

natureboy

• 76 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:13

Drop Hungary and Spain (yes, both GPs). I would get rid of Monaco if not for the historical value - couldn't care less about the glamour and pretentiousness.

I guess I'm one of the few that prefers GPs in the late afternoon.

As for the circuits, hope it's not a street circuit, and I hope they don't murder any existing race track.

#30 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:44

Road America, PLEASE!

Get rid of one in Spain, maybe both. No need for 2 races, either only 1 or neither.

#31 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:48

The world is too big to have 2 GPs in one country.

#32 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:58

Won't happen.

#33 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:00

Let me ask a stupid question, Long Beach is in which coast?

West coast, part of greater LA.

#34 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,711 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:02

i think on the contrary, both india and COTA will shine even more with time. remember this year, we had processional races at SPA/monza (sort of)/monaco (always) of all places, where bahrain, abu dhabi, valencia, barcelona produced great races.

I just mean after the euphoria of the first year. Bernie can complain about almost anything, and has. Don't sell him short! :lol:

#35 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:03

Road America, PLEASE!

Get rid of one in Spain, maybe both. No need for 2 races, either only 1 or neither.

It's be awesome, but I don't know who has the money to upgrade it. And I'd also be worried it could be watered down in the process.

I think Spain deserves one GP. They have a genuine fanbase and a double champion. But thir best circuit is Aragon, but I have the impression it's too far from major cities to get Bernie's interest. Not to mention I have no idea if they'd be able to put up with the fees.

As fot the US, 2 GPs sounds right, 3 would be too much.

#36 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:03

We have one great race at a good, well organised and supported circuit and they're already trying to drown it in a sea of others.

Sigh.

If open wheel is so popular in usa then why isnt Indycar rolling in money?

The traditional American product should be the focus of open wheel racing in the USA. :up:

#37 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 279 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:06

Whatever, as long as FIA/F1 doesn't touch/sterilize/sanitize/rape and come even close to any of these fantastic circuits

Road Atlanta
Road America
Laguna Seca
VIR
Barber
Sears Point
Pacific Raceway
Portland
Mid-Ohio
Lime Rock
Sebring
Daytona infield
Watkins Glen

(Don't really care about Miller, NJMP and non-Daytona rovals so I left those out of the list)

Any street circuit on the other hand (EXCEPT Long Beach, hands off!), well you're welcome - it is unlikely that you're really gonna ruin those. Baltimore Grand Prix with all of it's bumps, railroad tracks and weird chicanes could be kinda fun with F1s actually, lol. Not that I actually think that these princes and princesses would ever head there but it is an amusing thought

Have you seen Lime Rock lately?

And Daytona RC is, quite honestly, crap.

#38 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:06

Right so which race is the European community going to have?

North America can easily support 4 races.

#39 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:08

We don't have a third track up to standard and there's no realistic way to convert any of them. And I don't see there being another wealthy wacko to underwrite a circuit(god bless Red McCombs but I don't think we'll find another). So unless they want to ignore some of their safety requirements and do a street circuit?

And frankly I don't think we have the fanbase to support three races a year.

Advertisement

#40 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:10

We don't have a third track up to standard and there's no realistic way to convert any of them. And I don't see there being another wealthy wacko to underwrite a circuit(god bless Red McCombs but I don't think we'll find another). So unless they want to ignore some of their safety requirements and do a street circuit?

And frankly I don't think we have the fanbase to support three races a year.

California is one of the largest economies in the world. It could work for a few years. Don't know what the public debt situation is there currently, though.

Edited by Dolph, 19 November 2012 - 14:11.

#41 BigBadBless

BigBadBless

• 301 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:12

I agree. I don't disagree with there being fewer GPs in Europe, but why have 2 in the US? A Mexican GP on the other hand I wholeheartedly support.

#42 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:28

Have you seen Lime Rock lately?

I have, and it is still awesome.

Though as is the case with the majority of tracks on that list, there is zero fear that FIA is ever gonna modify that one (thank god). I guess Road America would be the most "realistic" one

Edited by SonnyViceR, 19 November 2012 - 14:28.

#43 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 952 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:29

Out of interest, when is the last contractually agreed race for each of the current circuits? With the calendar limited to 20 races something will have to give. Please correct the following if wrong, but from a quick bit of research I found:

2013 - Suzuka
2014 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
2015 - Interlagos, Melbourne, Sepang, Spa-Francorchamps
2016 - Yas Marina, Bahrain, Hungaroring, Monza, Yeongam
2017 - Shanghai, Singapore
2018 - Hockenheim (was split with Nurburgring, where does the bankruptcy leave this?)
2020 - Buddh, Monaco
2021 - Cicuit of the Americas
2027 - Silverstone
Unknown - Barcelona/Valencia alternation

Confirmed coming:
New Jersey 2014 - 2022
Sochi - 2014 - 2020

Mooted:
Mexico
Thailand
3rd USA

Suzuka and Canada I would expect to be extended, even though their contracts expire soon I doubt that they will be dropped. Korea will most likely to be axed early. Of the European races, it's no secret that Spa is under threat, and with Nurburgring going bust I can see a share between Spa and Hockenheim coming about soon.

Edited by onemoresolo, 19 November 2012 - 14:30.

#44 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:35

California is one of the largest economies in the world. It could work for a few years. Don't know what the public debt situation is there currently, though.

Terrible, basically. Plus you'd probably have to have a public vote on funding a race.

#45 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:55

maybe Los Angeles GP? there are few hills over there, they could produce pretty nice track over there (but please god, no more street circuits)
But what to ditch? hard to tell... only boring race this year was Monaco tbh (I mean overtake-wise). Lets just add 2 races and done. With Russia and Mexico lets have 24 races!

Here's a start point for the west coast street/road course.
The Rosebowl. Years of history there.
The surrounding area is stunning with all sorts of elev changes to work with. It hosted the World Cup and Superbowl, plenty of hotels, plenty of parking, deals with huge crowds all the time.
30 minutes from Hollywood and ddowntown LA.
All it takes is cubic bucks....

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 19 November 2012 - 15:18.

#46 Bean

Bean

• 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:26

Bernie knows when to "sell high", and he's obviously taking the opportunity with all of this goodwill surrounding the Austin GP. I'm sure there will be (or are already) proposals for a 3rd USGP on his desk. I can hear the conversation now: "See how great Austin turned out? Surely you'd like to showcase your city to the world as well?" It's a standard leveraging tactic to have more venues in his pocket ready to pay to host GPs in brand new facilities, which keeps the existing races on the calendar in line when they start bitching about their own fees and facility upgrade costs.

A 3rd USGP never actually has to even happen for Bernie to benefit.

#47 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:07

Road Atlanta is an absolute gem of a circuit,

But would Bernie and Co want to target that state for a F1 market ... probably not.

It's got less to do with the market in the state and more to do with the state of the circuit. I've been to both the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Road Atlanta, and although I dearly love Road Atlanta, there's no earthly way it'd be able to handle an F1 race due to the quality/size of the facilities there. It's also owned by NASCAR now, too, so I can't see them spending money to try and court a race for what could be considered a rival series.

I've never been to Road America, but it looks to be a fantastic track from what I've seen on the likes of Forza Motorsport. With a bit of upgrading, I think it would be a great layout/venue for F1.

#48 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:09

Go Bernie Go. Please do bring F1 to California. There are already races in the East and South. Those in the West really suffer.

Edited by bourbon, 19 November 2012 - 16:11.

#49 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:09

We'd actually have to have the second race in New Jersey going ahead before we see a third. And I don't think any of the classic American tracks are up to today's standards, so it'll have to be a new facility or a street race, requiring a big bucket of money.

#50 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:13

West coast, part of greater LA.

Thanks.