Photo

Which driver could be Alonso's "Petrov" in Brazil 12?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Which driver could be Alonso's "Petrov" in Brazil 12 (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Which driver could be Alonso's "Petrov" in Brazil 12 and lose him the title??

1. Lewis Hamilton (latest USGP Winner) (10 votes [11.24%])

Percentage of vote: 11.24%

2. Kimi Raikkonen (Abu Dhabi Winner) (20 votes [22.47%])

Percentage of vote: 22.47%

3. Jenson Button (2 race wins in 2012) (4 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

4. Pastor Maldonado (1 race win) (13 votes [14.61%])

Percentage of vote: 14.61%

5. Romain Grosjean (Multiple podiums) (10 votes [11.24%])

6. Sergio Perez (Multiple Podiums) (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

7. Nico Rosberg (1 race win) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Michael Schumi (Swansong race) (8 votes [8.99%])

Percentage of vote: 8.99%

9. Felipe Massa (indirect affect like Safety car) (3 votes [3.37%])

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

10. Other, or a combination of circumstances!! (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

11. None really, Alonso will win the title! (10 votes [11.24%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:18

Alonso is behind by 13 Points and in Minimum need of a Podium.

The equation is simple, 4th place and below will not do for Alonso. But time around, there are a huge number of Potential Petrov's lurking on the grid who can easily & without remorse take up the top 3 places ahead of Alonso. Mark Webber is not part of the equation because it's his basic 'Team Job' to keep Alonso behind if possible, unlike the "Petrov's", who are doing their own stuff and not part of a strategy to help either Vettel or Alonso.

Some of the contenders include World Class drivers such as Hamilton, Kimi & Button....along with hot-headed drivers like Grosjean, Maldonado, Perez who all have decent cars to surprise the Ferrari's in Qualy as well as Race.

And to think both Mercedes cars could come good agonizingly for Ferrari in the last race after a streak of 5-pointless race, almost like Petrov-Renault in 2010. Rosberg & Schumi are surely the wildcards that can upset Alonso's cart frustratingly for him.

Vettel's Lead No. 13- Lucky for one, unlucky for the other? Everything thing suggests that destiny has already been written, only the outcome is to be revealed in Brazil. Could be the best race of the 2012 season.

Edit- VETTEL"S Petrov = THE ALTERNATOR
'Ticking time bomb' worries Red Bull
Marko uneasy as Alternator Crisis haunts RBR

Edited by BackOnTop, 20 November 2012 - 17:54.

Advertisement

#2 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:18

One word. Grosjean.

AFAIK, Vettel is the only front runner who has been able to avoid his wrath thus far. With one race to go, that needs to change!

Edited by UPRC, 20 November 2012 - 13:19.

#3 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:24

I wish it is Monday morning so all these conspiracy theories and speculations what will happen if disappear... does it make any sense to start separate threads for Alonso haters, Vettel haters, Ferrari haters, etc? I just hope that none of the drivers is reading this nonsense...

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 13:26

Vettel's the one leading the championship, so its him who needs to be worried about having his race ruined by somebody else.

Edited by Seanspeed, 20 November 2012 - 13:28.

#5 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:22

One word. Grosjean.

AFAIK, Vettel is the only front runner who has been able to avoid his wrath thus far. With one race to go, that needs to change!

If the temperatures will be low, the Renault won't be a 'problem' due to slightly lower top speeds. I think Raikkonen might be a pain in the bottocks due to his knowledge of the track, Grosjean has only been here 2 times before compared to 9 times for Raikkonen.

The Williams' are dropping back in the race a bit, compared to the Ferrari. In Q esp Maldonado has a chance but I suspect he has to duke it out with Senna in front of their home crowd.

No, the real competition will likely come from McLaren, IF Red Bull is at the front. Hamilton is not that good at the circuit but I think Alonso - Button will go round 2 this year.

Edited by Jejking, 20 November 2012 - 14:24.

#6 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:22

Maldonado. He has the potential to qualify high enough to influence front-runners.

Vettel will have his alternator failed around lap 20, running for 2nd behind Hamilton.

Alonso will find himself then on 4th just behind Maldonado. He will struggle to overtake because Williams will have good top speed and he will be afraid of a risky move because of the opinion what Maldonado has he will not want to be taken out by him. With several laps to go he will make his mind to try something more risky, but it will be too late since Maldonado will manage his tyres better just like in the last stint in Barcelona.

:smoking:

#7 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:31

Karthikeyan. And it is for Vettel, not Alonso.

#8 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:33

Vettel's the one leading the championship, so its him who needs to be worried about having his race ruined by somebody else.

Vettel is one who can afford DNF and still win the champonship. Alonso on the other hand MUST get at least 3rd to have any chance. And if Vettel finishes al least 4th - Alonso will lose no matter what.

#9 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:34

Other. It will be Petrov again.

#10 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:42

Not possible because of DRS.

#11 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:43

Leaving aside for the moment that Alonso can now only win, rather than lose, the WDC; Webber seems to be the most obvious candidate:
  • He has qualified well recently.
  • His car-on-car racing is rough, and not without risk.
  • He is paid by the same people who want Vettel to win.
That said, DRS has made it tough to repeat the Bernoldi-Petrov style of defending.

Edited by Nonesuch, 20 November 2012 - 14:44.

#12 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:45

Vettel is one who can afford DNF and still win the champonship. Alonso on the other hand MUST get at least 3rd to have any chance. And if Vettel finishes al least 4th - Alonso will lose no matter what.

Yeah but I think Seanspeed's point was that Vettel is now in the same position as Alonso was in the last race in 2010, so the title should be "who could be Vettel's Petrov" or something.

#13 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:46

One word. Grosjean.

Exactly, it's gonna be Grosjean, and it will not be Alonso's Grosjean but Vettel's Grosjean!

#14 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:57

Webber, Hamilton, Button, Raikkonen and Grosjean could be the drivers Alonso could be fighting for to get to podium.

#15 KingB

KingB

• 348 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 14:59

I wanted to vote for the Hulk....but there's no option :well:

#16 zdzisio

zdzisio

• 257 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:01

Yeah but I think Seanspeed's point was that Vettel is now in the same position as Alonso was in the last race in 2010, so the title should be "who could be Vettel's Petrov" or something.

Who should be Vettel's "Alonso's Petrov"?

#17 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:03

NOPE!!

For some strange reasons.... Alonso looks to be the favorite again (like 2010) to win the title simply because it has gone down to the last race.

Some Strange Reasons:-
-AbuDhabi- Vettel gets the penalty at the worst time possible. Biggest Gainer- Alonso.
-USGP Texas- Grosjean changes gear, Massa breaks seal. Biggest Gainer- Alonso.
-USGP Texas- Narain K hinders Vettel at a "precise" moment for Hami to pounce- Biggest Gainer- Alonso.

-Brazil- "Biggest Gainer-Alonso" looks a trend set to continue. maybe the stars are aligned over Spain.

#18 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:03

Yeah, that's a possibility :lol:

#19 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:06

Other than a random incident with some backmarker (Karthikeyan for the third time ?), most likely Renault's alternator or maybe engine. Otherwise, Alonso's "Petrov" will simply be Vettel by finishing ahead or too close.

Edited by sv401, 20 November 2012 - 15:08.

Advertisement

#20 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:09

NOPE!!

For some strange reasons.... Alonso looks to be the favorite again (like 2010) to win the title simply because it has gone down to the last race.

Some Strange Reasons:-
-AbuDhabi- Vettel gets the penalty at the worst time possible. Biggest Gainer- Alonso.
-USGP Texas- Grosjean changes gear, Massa breaks seal. Biggest Gainer- Alonso.
-USGP Texas- Narain K hinders Vettel at a "precise" moment for Hami to pounce- Biggest Gainer- Alonso.

-Brazil- "Biggest Gainer-Alonso" looks a trend set to continue. maybe the stars are aligned over Spain.

Alonso is not the favourite.

#21 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:09

NOPE!!

But this time, the driver who leads the standings also has the faster car, which hasn't been the case back then.

Edited by Jovanotti, 20 November 2012 - 15:10.

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 15:44

have you not been watching the whole season?

#23 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:02

No one. It was Vettel's to lose.

#24 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:13

Interlagos is not Abu Crappy, Overtake is possible here. So no one gonna be Alonso's Petrov.

#25 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:16

Interlagos is not Abu Crappy, Overtake is possible here. So no one gonna be Alonso's Petrov.

But someone could be Alonso's "Glock" instead (Massa would perhaps be the most fun, or a Lotus or - very unlikely - Toro Rosso driver for the conspiracy theorists) :p

Edited by sv401, 20 November 2012 - 16:21.

#26 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:23

The only chance for Alonso to have a "Petrov" is for Vettel to be way behind in 10th, lower or DNF already.

I think the OP assumes that a DNF for Vettel is inevitable in Brazil.

#27 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:24

Could be any one of the drivers out there, if either contender finds themself down the order.

#28 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:27

Leaving aside for the moment that Alonso can now only win, rather than lose, the WDC; Webber seems to be the most obvious candidate:

• He has qualified well recently.
  • His car-on-car racing is rough, and not without risk.
  • He is paid by the same people who want Vettel to win.
That said, DRS has made it tough to repeat the Bernoldi-Petrov style of defending.

Good post :up:

#29 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:43

Exactly.

#30 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:46

One word. Grosjean.

It would certainly be the perfect way to guarantee him not getting a drive next year.

#31 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 1,594 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 16:51

In 2010, Alonso had an 8 point lead over Webber (2nd place in the standings before Abu Dhabi) and a 15 point lead over Vettel (the eventual champion). He was the favourite back then. Now that Vettel is in the lead and the favourite, a driver can only become someone's Petrov by blocking Vettel, rather than Alonso.

#32 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:00

THE ALTERNATOR

Edited by BackOnTop, 20 November 2012 - 17:10.

#33 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,877 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:09

For Sebs Petrov, I guess we can already eliminate the following:

• Webbo
  • Toro Rossos
  • All German Drivers
  • the 3 backmarker teams
  • Potentially Jenson
  • Maybe even the Lotus'

So, left are:
  • Massa
  • Lewis
  • di Resta
  • Koba
  • Maldo
  • Perez
  • Senna

Massa might play an important role in his home GP. He has got the car to annoy Vettel and is a fantastic team player :)

Edited by stuck-in-first-gear, 20 November 2012 - 17:11.

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:10

THE ALTERNATOR

Indeed. If we get a surprising finale, it'll probably along the lines of an "unspectacular Mansell" engineering failure from the lead Red Bull. Although Alonso will still need to finish on the podium, which is where Petrov and his potential successor may come into it.

Edited by Risil, 20 November 2012 - 17:17.

#35 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,785 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 17:15

Vettel's petrov is a better comparison IMO.
I'll go for a Williams, maybe Maldonado.

#36 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:00

One word. Grosjean.

:lol: Exactly, I bet Grosjean don't like unfinished business...

#37 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:33

Grosjean is out of discussion, being a Petrov doesn't mean crashing other driver out of the race but beating him fair and square, with a slower car. On the other hand, that's more difficult in an easy-to-overtake track like Interlagos compared to Abu Crappy. Of course, Grosjean could beat Alonso or Vettel fair and square, but to be a Petrov, you need to get surprisingly a good result, a good result for a Lotus driver isn't a surprise.

So, I'd say all RBR, Ferrari, McLaren, and Lotus drivers are out of question. And Sauber or STR drivers are Petrov's only if they cost the title to their "ally team", if they cost the title to their ally's opponent, then they just did their job.

Anyway, thinking of some epic Petrovs, Schuey, Senna, and Kobayashi come to my mind. Schuey's having his final race, Senna his home race, and Koba trying to impress team bosses to get a seat. And Senna and Koba would also be lower-prfile drivers, like Petrov was.

And of course, also Vettel can get Petrovized. But knowing Alonso's temperament, I'd feel more Schadenfreude should he get Petrovized.

#38 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:37

so Petrov became some slang used to be curse? Wonder how long we will stick with Someone got Petrovized

#39 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:05

With DRS theres no faster car trapped behind slower car anymore...

Advertisement

#40 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:14

There was no DRS in 2010, and seeing as my 2002 Subaru could outrace a W03, I can't see Rosberg or Schumacher holding up too many cars for very long.

#41 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:27

if i base my assumption on car pace + driver combo only and the possibilty of qualifying in Q3

1.nico rosberg (merc has one lap pace and may out-qualify ferrari's)
2.nico hulkenberg (strong qualifier)
3.Michael Schumacher (if he somehow gets ahead of Alonso, i believe he's the one driver that most F1 drivers Dread being behind :p )
4.Pastor Maldonado (again if he can get pass alonso, also any driver will think 3/4 times before making a move to pass him)

regarding kimi ... he's a racer, if alonso can pass him on pace and skill, he won't make it difficult.

#42 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:29

Exactly - this time Vettel is in the Alonso position so it is he who needs to avoid anything untoward.

Actually, it will be interesting because he has not really been in this situation before. In 2009 he was the chaser (or one of them anyway). In 2010, there was no serious expectation that he could win at the last race so he had nothing to lose (like Alonso now) and in 2011 he was never in danger of losing the WDC at any race - wrapped up much too early for that. Now, any mishap is potentially a WDC down the drain. Will it affect him at all?

#43 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:39

Still Kimi got stuck behind Massa in India.

And I assume they don't have DRS in the main straight just like they didn't have last year. And the straight after T3 wasn't that good an overtaking spot, even with DRS.

But the one who can get stuck behind somebody is Vettel, not Alonso, I think. But I'd say also it's getting Petrovized if you're struggling with e.g. your tyres at the end of the race and get overtaken by some underdog.

#44 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:55

I think the weather-goddess (Mother Nature) may wish to comment
Interlagos 2012, Autodromo Carlos Pace, THERE'S A STORM COMING :smoking:

#45 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:57

There was no DRS in 2010, and seeing as my 2002 Subaru could outrace a W03, I can't see Rosberg or Schumacher holding up too many cars for very long.

So true. :(

#46 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:26

This... unfortunately.

#47 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:41

Alonso is behind by 13 Points and in Minimum need of a Podium.

The equation is simple, 4th place and below will not do for Alonso. But time around, there are a huge number of Potential Petrov's lurking on the grid who can easily & without remorse take up the top 3 places ahead of Alonso. Mark Webber is not part of the equation because it's his basic 'Team Job' to keep Alonso behind if possible, unlike the "Petrov's", who are doing their own stuff and not part of a strategy to help either Vettel or Alonso.

Some of the contenders include World Class drivers such as Hamilton, Kimi & Button....along with hot-headed drivers like Grosjean, Maldonado, Perez who all have decent cars to surprise the Ferrari's in Qualy as well as Race.

And to think both Mercedes cars could come good agonizingly for Ferrari in the last race after a streak of 5-pointless race, almost like Petrov-Renault in 2010. Rosberg & Schumi are surely the wildcards that can upset Alonso's cart frustratingly for him.

Vettel's Lead No. 13- Lucky for one, unlucky for the other? Everything thing suggests that destiny has already been written, only the outcome is to be revealed in Brazil. Could be the best race of the 2012 season.

Edit- VETTEL"S Petrov = THE ALTERNATOR

Spain’s Mundo Deportivo newspaper said that Red Bull will definitely use the brand new specification for the Sao Paulo finale.

The pressure is ON Vettel, things haven't gone perfectly for him in past two races. They could have been breathing a lot easier IF Vettel had won the last two, which they could have but didnt. While Ferrari have maximised their chances and there is nothing else they can do in Brazil which they havent in the past few races.

Pressure is on Vettel man.

#48 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:19

(and not as dramatic as AD10):-

Alonso
-Maldonado @ Spain (7 points taken)
-Grosjean @ Spa
-Raikkonen @ Japan
-Raikkonen @ Abu Dhabi (7 points taken)

Vettel
-Narain @ Malaysia
-Alternator @ Valencia (directly helping Alonso)
-Alternator @ Italian GP
-Narain/Hami @ USGP (7 points taken)

Edited by BackOnTop, 21 November 2012 - 13:40.

#49 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19

Suppose if now Vitaly Petrov would drive a car comparable potential to at least Lotus, in Brazil in 2012 he could fight for the podium. I think he has all proved that became very strong pilot by other parameters. Now, over time, the ability for the last time Vitaly Petrov very grown up. As a big plus V.Petrov in that in a short time he could to adapt to the machine in which Heikki spent quite a long time.
And then Alonso or Vettel??? - the parameters for prediction is very much...F1 and it is interesting...

Edited by alexSun, 21 November 2012 - 12:20.

#50 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:49

It makes it easier for someone to become a "Glock" instead of a "Petrov", though.