848 replies to this topic

#1 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:44

Part II can be found here. http://forums.autosp...w...&start=3960

Part III is here. http://forums.autosp...howtopic=173838

No idea where Part I is anymore, but is anyone can be bothered to look, feel free to post a link.

Please remember that there are separate threads to discuss the McLaren car, Jenson Button, or the intra-team battle with Jenson. None of those topics have a place here. If there is a specific incident under discussion, start a new thread for it. If you wish to discuss something which already has its own thread, such as the practice sessions or race outcome then you should use that thread.

This thread is to discuss matters that cannot reasonably be covered elsewhere and, crucially, it should be about motorsport, this being a motorsport forum.

Advertisement

#2 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:51

Lewis Hamilton Part I A New Hope - http://forums.autosp...howtopic=159278

#3 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 13:18

So the next part will be:

Lewis Hamilton V, the emperor strikes back!

Perfect!

#4 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 13:18

Someone (lucky) on Reddit met Lewis at the hotel in Austin...

Out of the drivers, the one who most surprised me was Lewis Hamilton. He was a very nice guy, which is opposite of what I expected. I always got the impression that would be kind of a douche in person. But he was very cheerful. Kimi took an opposite approach with the fans. The few times we saw him in the hotel, he was rushing around, doing his best to avoid fans. My friend Aromus (silver McLaren jacket in a few of the pics for anyone wondering) brought his replica Kimi helmet, hoping to get him to sign the visor. But Kimi refused, saying that it wasn't the real thing. Romain wasn't too friendly either. Probably the result of hanging around Kimi too much. Actually most of the Lotus guys weren't too fan friendly. Jerome was nice though. Maybe because he was happy that I was the only person in the lobby to recognize him.

#5 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 13:19

Link?

#6 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 13:22

Link?

http://www.reddit.co...stin_hoping_to/

#7 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 13:52

Hamilton has to start delivering on championships I think. I'm a fan of his but I want to see him knuckle down at Mercedes next year, work with the team, help to build the team, forge a strong relationship with the team, and drive the wheels off the car whenever he can. And win races and win more than one championship. Last week's race plus his form this year and his general demeanour since signing for Mercedes gives me hope that he'll nail many more race wins and at least another one championship. Here's hoping.....

#8 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:08

Merc could very well produce a strong car next year, very possible. But for some reason I think the season will consist more of Lewis dragging up the car to places maybe it shouldn't be. I do hope for Lewis' sake they build a contender. But I'm thinking 2013 will be more about Lewis getting a grasp of the team, getting them on his level & everyone learning how to best work with each other. Mainly in preparation for the first proper Mercedes AMG F1 title contention season in 2014. I truly believe a Mercedes driver(Lewis) will have true shot at the WDC in 2014.

#9 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:16

Merc won a race this year. If they can build a car on a similar level and maintain development throughout the year then I think they'll win more than one next year.

#10 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:18

I can see Merc starting off with a good car, but depsite their resources and personnel, I can see them falling behind in the development race- a bit similar to Lotus this year but perhaps not staying up there as long as they managed to.

#11 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:25

I can see Merc starting off with a good car, but depsite their resources and personnel, I can see them falling behind in the development race- a bit similar to Lotus this year but perhaps not staying up there as long as they managed to.

Mercedes won't be lacking resource as Stuttgart has approved an increase in the allocation for the team's budget (should then be on par with Ferrari/McLaren/RBR).

#12 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:28

If Mercedes can start as they did this season Lewis has a very good chance of winning next season, i believe he will.

#13 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:29

I'm expecting Merc to have learned from their mistakes this year and be a lot better next year. I expect them to be competitive but not quite good enough, similar to Lotus this year. 2014 I expect them to be genuine championship contenders.
I also expect Hamilton/Rosberg to be quite a close battle next year because I think Rosberg is a good driver plus his experience with the team will probably make it easier for them to set his car up.

Edited by bub, 21 November 2012 - 14:33.

#14 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 14:48

I also expect Hamilton/Rosberg to be quite a close battle next year because I think Rosberg is a good driver plus his experience with the team will probably make it easier for them to set his car up.

That sparks thoughts about whether there will be a mini exodus of staff from Hamilton's who will join him at Merc. It's too early though. The season has yet to finish but I would expect to see some handing over their P45s!

#15 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:10

I don't expect anything from next year because expectation is the enemy - it can kill you from the inside out if you're an F1 fan. I hope Lewis will continue with the mindset and the performance level he's shown this year and I pray that Merc can produce a car that's capable of regular points scoring at least and the odd podium. More than anything, that they show they can develop at the same pace as the other teams through the year and that they've put this horrendously crapazoidical season to rest. If LH does better than 5th in the WDC next year that'll do for a first year in a new team that's been struggling to do much for a few years now.

#16 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 664 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:21

Merc could very well produce a strong car next year, very possible. But for some reason I think the season will consist more of Lewis dragging up the car to places maybe it shouldn't be. I do hope for Lewis' sake they build a contender. But I'm thinking 2013 will be more about Lewis getting a grasp of the team, getting them on his level & everyone learning how to best work with each other. Mainly in preparation for the first proper Mercedes AMG F1 title contention season in 2014. I truly believe a Mercedes driver(Lewis) will have true shot at the WDC in 2014.

Yes. I have a feeing that everything is being geared towards 2014 when the engine regs change. Hopefully they'll produce an ok car next year though

#17 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,466 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:49

If Lewis was feeling down trodden this year with a very fast yet un reliable car, I don't know how he will keep his motivation if Merc perform next year like they have done th last 3 years. I'm starting to think the glue that held Ferrari together so well in the Schumacher years wasn't Michael or Ross but Jean. As 3 years together has not bought any success and within 3 years at Ferrari they were winning many races and contending for titles.

#18 moorsey

moorsey

• 653 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:52

If Mercedes can start as they did this season Lewis has a very good chance of winning next season, i believe he will.

That's two of us. :up:

#19 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:05

If Lewis was feeling down trodden this year with a very fast yet un reliable car, I don't know how he will keep his motivation if Merc perform next year like they have done th last 3 years.

At Mercedes he will be on a different mission which isn't to contend for the championship from race one but to build to team to become a race winning top team.

Advertisement

#20 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 16:08

Lewis Hamilton Part I A New Hope - http://forums.autosp...howtopic=159278

Zanardi was right.

#21 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 17:21

Mercedes won't be lacking resource as Stuttgart has approved an increase in the allocation for the team's budget (should then be on par with Ferrari/McLaren/RBR).

It's nowhere near on par with Ferrari/Mclaren/RBR. I don't have the link to the AMuS article, but i remember reading Mercedes' budget being increased to around 200 mil. RBR are at around 490.

#22 northanmonkee

northanmonkee

• 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:24

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=zH-llH97obI
lewis with guitar

Edited by northanmonkee, 21 November 2012 - 18:25.

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:41

It's nowhere near on par with Ferrari/Mclaren/RBR. I don't have the link to the AMuS article, but i remember reading Mercedes' budget being increased to around 200 mil. RBR are at around 490.

Daimler made istr €4bn profit in 2011. It would be a nonsense to get hold of Hamilton then mire the team in the midfield with a small budget. Not to say LH will have checked this out. They are going for it now.

#24 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,068 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:45

seriously? USD, GBP or Euro's? No wonder they have one of the best cars and are winning everything when they have a pocket full of 490 million, bet for most of the other teams a Resource Restriction Agreement can't come soon enough

#25 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:49

lewis with guitar

:up:

#26 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:01

seriously? USD, GBP or Euro's? No wonder they have one of the best cars and are winning everything when they have a pocket full of 490 million, bet for most of the other teams a Resource Restriction Agreement can't come soon enough

is not tht high, i think a german publication had it at around 230 million Euros. Higher than all the teams in the article, but Mclaren and Ferrari weren't in that article i don't think
I'd imagine BR are highest spenders but not 490mill, maybe half at most

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:04

I'm expecting a very frustrating 2013... As in 2009 without the second half upgrades.

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:07

Go to the Merc thread and have your hopes for next year destroyed.

#29 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:08

is not tht high, i think a german publication had it at around 230 million Euros. Higher than all the teams in the article, but Mclaren and Ferrari weren't in that article i don't think
I'd imagine BR are highest spenders but not 490mill, maybe half at most

It's that high. RedBull only report on some of their spending. (only what is required to report on in the RRA).

#30 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:15

found it, it was in this article

Konkret soll es laut 'Bild'-Informationen um 35 Millionen Britische Pfund (umgerechnet 44 Millionen Euro) gehen, was vermutlich einer Budgeterhöhung um rund 30 Prozent entsprechen würde. Denn wie man dem Geschäftsbericht 2011 entnehmen kann, lag der Umsatz in jenem Jahr bei 114,9 Millionen Pfund (143,3 Millionen Euro). Das ist deutlich weniger als bei Red Bull (392,0 Millionen Pfund oder 489,2 Millionen Euro, wovon rund 45 Prozent auf Red Bull Racing entfallen und der Rest auf Red Bull Technology).

Roughly translated: The 44 mil Euro budget increase would bring an increase of aprox. 30%, if one is to take their 143,4 mil Euro budget in 2011 as a reference. However it pales in comparison to Red Bull's 489,2 Mil Euros, whereby 45 % belong to RB Racing and the rest to Red Bull Technology.

So it actually wouldnt even reach the 200 mil mark. And apparently Dieter Zetsche is reluctant to pump that sum in, given their sales this year. So not even that sum is to be taken for granted.
Sry for the OT, i know this is Lewis' thread, but it still plays a great role for him too.

Edited by andrewf1, 21 November 2012 - 19:18.

#31 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:47

Yes. I have a feeing that everything is being geared towards 2014 when the engine regs change. Hopefully they'll produce an ok car next year though

I think so. I also believe Lewis is going to surprise a lot of people, especially McLaren, with how well he does in the W04. I fully expect him to win a race in 2013, maybe more(i would say probably 2 wins)but I don't think one GP is out of the question & I think he'll get quite a few podiums. Will be interesting to see how both he & the team progress throughout the season.

#32 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:52

lewis with guitar

Thanks. as a fan and a guitar player, nice vid. :up:

#33 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:52

lewis with guitar

Thank you for that, as a guitar player i really enjoyed that.

#34 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:56

lewis with guitar

Great! He even likes Joe Bonamassa! (Plays the meanest blues.)

#35 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:07

Merc won a race this year. If they can build a car on a similar level and maintain development throughout the year then I think they'll win more than one next year.

They should have won Monaco as well

#36 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:13

lewis with guitar

He's really good at it :up:

#37 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:13

found it, it was in this article

Roughly translated: The 44 mil Euro budget increase would bring an increase of aprox. 30%, if one is to take their 143,4 mil Euro budget in 2011 as a reference. However it pales in comparison to Red Bull's 489,2 Mil Euros, whereby 45 % belong to RB Racing and the rest to Red Bull Technology.

So it actually wouldnt even reach the 200 mil mark. And apparently Dieter Zetsche is reluctant to pump that sum in, given their sales this year. So not even that sum is to be taken for granted.
Sry for the OT, i know this is Lewis' thread, but it still plays a great role for him too.

That has to be a mistake... Even Toyota/McLaren/Ferrari at their peak in 2005-2007 did not (reportedly) spend more than $450m... and now, in a tough economic environment, in an RRA-era (budget spend capped, personnel capped), RBR is spending €490m ($630m)?! That's just impossible.

The figure I've seen for RBR/Ferrari/McLaren is in the neighbourhood of €200-250m.

On another note, sad to see Lewis' race in Austin not being recognized more on Formula1.com poll... (he is tied with Alonso for "best performer"). Vettel also doesn't get the props he deserved. IMO, Alonso did great in the first lap but Massa outdrove him the rest of the way.

#38 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:18

OT, but I've seen that figure (440+) bandied about before. Remember people are pissed at Red Bull not adhering to the RRA for a reason.....

#39 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:07

It's that high. RedBull only report on some of their spending. (only what is required to report on in the RRA).

Seems I have been living in a dream for the last couple of years. I recall Ferrari spending 440 mil to save their championships in 2003 but thought the budgets have halved since the RRA. I. Am. Shocked.

Advertisement

#40 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:07

The figure I've seen for RBR/Ferrari/McLaren is in the neighbourhood of €200-250m.

Well, those alleged 45% which go to Red Bull Racing, the official formula 1 team, amount to 220 mil on paper. So officially it's within the range you're quoting.
Anyways, i just saw that the source of the article is 'Bild' - a german newspaper/tabloid - so it's not really to be trusted.
Off-topic over before the mods delete it :)

#41 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:37

lewis with guitar

Cool **** there! He can really play. Some of the acoustic stuff he did was rather impressive :)

#42 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:48

I've played the guitar for about 17 years now and I thought I'd hate that video, quite good though! Love to know how much that les Paul is worth!

#43 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:15

This is the standard report from anyone who has met LH in person ....

#44 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 23:17

lewis with guitar

Wow ...he's better than I expect ... but then he has the hands to be good at it ....so should not be surprised.

#45 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:18

Not many days left of Lewis' career as a Mclaren driver. I'm already feeling nostalgic by browsing photographs of the highs and lows.

Posted Image

#46 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:09

Posted Image

One of the best moments for me.

#47 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 13:04

Posted Image

One of the best moments for me.

That was an amazing moment followed by another when he parked the car and got on top of that McLaren with his arms open....

#48 HopkinsonF1

HopkinsonF1

• 381 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:13

Alonso: "I've a lot of respect for Lewis, he's probably the best or one of the best here." The bromance continues!

#49 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:51

That was an amazing moment followed by another when he parked the car and got on top of that McLaren with his arms open....

Posted Image

Yeah, hes done it a few times after race wins.

Hopefully he does it on sunday!

#50 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 15:54

Alonso: "I've a lot of respect for Lewis, he's probably the best or one of the best here." The bromance continues!

He's not wrong though!