* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#451 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 980 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:41

But McLaren chose Perez. Why? He's the Jenson-friendly option.

Yup, when Lewis finally left to build a team around him which he couldnt do at McLaren, Jenson will become a clear #1 driver :smoking:

Advertisement

#452 Andy Davies

Andy Davies

• 175 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:46

If this doesn't clear Hamilton of any wrongdoing in Brazil.... I don't know what will.

Go to c. 10m45s

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=65P9s0YnEb8

The one thing you see from that video is how unhelpful the back markers were around the half (?) of the lap before Hulk hit Hamilton, if they'd been more co-operative then Hulk perhaps wouldn't have caught up with him

Andy

#453 robefc

robefc

• 7,992 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:02

I think the Hulk accident sheds a little light on Hamilton in the last three years.

Hulk is better than Perez: more aggressive, more mature, and I'd say faster. But nowhere near as good as Lewis who I don't think has ever make a mistake like that.

But McLaren chose Perez. Why? He's the Jenson-friendly option.

Not sure if I am somehow missing something here, Lewis didn't need the excuse of a wet track to hit everything that moved in 2011 and has had plenty of other mishaps. I might agree that Lewis is better than the hulk but using one mistake as an example of why, particularly in a race where he was challenging for the lead in a Force India, is...curious.

#454 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:15

Not sure if I am somehow missing something here, Lewis didn't need the excuse of a wet track to hit everything that moved in 2011 and has had plenty of other mishaps. I might agree that Lewis is better than the hulk but using one mistake as an example of why, particularly in a race where he was challenging for the lead in a Force India, is...curious.

Well afaik we're both missing any accident that involved Lewis getting so far out of shape that he hit someone he was trying to pass who was giving him a couple of metres of space.

Last year he had ONE simple case of causing a collision, Massa in Singapore, the others were all complex.

#455 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:52

Last year he had ONE simple case of causing a collision, Massa in Singapore, the others were all complex.

Haha LOL thankfully we had stewards last year who frequented Specsavers a bit more often :lol:

#456 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 13:33

The the Key to that incident was that Hamilton had the wisdom to migrate to the dry line on the right, while Hulk, on the other hand was so caught up in the moment that he dove straight down the inside not even realising the left hand side is slippery. The only way hulkcould have stopped the spin was by accepting he lost the inside of the next turn and back off. I think it's just a "rookie error" on Hulk's part.

#457 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:35

I know its unlikely but how enjoyable will next year be if next years Merc was the class of the field even if it was just for the first 4 fly aways... I can dream!

#458 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,924 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:24

I know its unlikely but how enjoyable will next year be if next years Merc was the class of the field even if it was just for the first 4 fly aways... I can dream!

:lol:

Man i was thinking the same,but probably we will have the "silver donkey" part 2.

At least it was half a season being backmarker,now the problem can be for years.

I really hope they pull some "DDD" type from somewhere. :rotfl:

Edited by Boxerevo, 01 December 2012 - 19:25.

#459 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 19:31

If they fix the problem with tyres a win in one of the first 4 races is not that difficult to happen. Look at how Ferrari started the season and what happened in Malaysia. Rain is almost secured for at least one of the Australia,Malaysia,China trio, Hamilton sure could take advantage of that.

Advertisement

#460 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,101 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 20:59

So Lewis will be driving with the #10 on the front of his car (Nico #9).

#461 Fox1

Fox1

• 586 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:28

That's good, hopefully that will make it a lot easier to change his car number for 2014, all they need to do is drop the 0.

#462 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,787 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 21:32

Someone discovered cars have numbers...

#463 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,101 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 22:02

That's good, hopefully that will make it a lot easier to change his car number for 2014, all they need to do is drop the 0.

Well played. :)

#464 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 22:54

Happy with this, Lewis has always had better seasons in even numbered cars.

#465 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:25

If this doesn't clear Hamilton of any wrongdoing in Brazil.... I don't know what will.

Go to c. 10m45s

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=65P9s0YnEb8

What is there to clear? Hamilton was never at fault there.

#466 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:58

The the Key to that incident was that Hamilton had the wisdom to migrate to the dry line on the right, while Hulk, on the other hand was so caught up in the moment that he dove straight down the inside not even realising the left hand side is slippery. The only way hulkcould have stopped the spin was by accepting he lost the inside of the next turn and back off. I think it's just a "rookie error" on Hulk's part.

+1
You really couldn't have summed up the situation any better mate. This is my exact thinking. I personally define this as a racing incident but I think it's clear who the driver at fault is.

I've said it before, Lewis has matured this year. How much? We will only find out in 2013 & 2014. But had there not been so many cock-ups from McLaren pit stops & strategy this year, I'm not sure it would have been close in Brazil. I think Lewis would have possibly won the WDC before then.

#467 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:33

You really couldn't have summed up the situation any better mate. This is my exact thinking. I personally define this as a racing incident but I think it's clear who the driver at fault is.

I agree normally it would have been an incident, but I think rightly so the stewards started cracking down a lot harder on the younger drivers later in the season.

I've said it before, Lewis has matured this year. How much? We will only find out in 2013 & 2014. But had there not been so many cock-ups from McLaren pit stops & strategy this year, I'm not sure it would have been close in Brazil. I think Lewis would have possibly won the WDC before then.

1. spain 25 points instead of 4
2. Europe 12 points instead of 0
3. Singapore 25 points instead of 0
4. Abu Dhabi 25 points instead of 0
5. Brazil 25 points instead of 0

that 108 points would have put Lewis 17 points in front of Seb, even without adjusting Seb's point totals.

#468 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:52

I agree normally it would have been an incident, but I think rightly so the stewards started cracking down a lot harder on the younger drivers later in the season.

1. spain 25 points instead of 4
2. Europe 12 points instead of 0
3. Singapore 25 points instead of 0
4. Abu Dhabi 25 points instead of 0
5. Brazil 25 points instead of 0

that 108 points would have put Lewis 17 points in front of Seb, even without adjusting Seb's point totals.

Every driver had his own fair share of misfortunes this year; it just so happen that Lewis suffered more than others.

1. For every Spain for Hamiton, Vettel got his Abu Dhabi.
2. For every Europe for Hamilton, Vettel got his Malaysia. And worse for Vettel since he got slashed by a backmarker under the blue flag and not while fighting for position.
3. For every Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Brazil for Hamilton, Vettel got his Valencia and Monza. But of course, this is not really comparable since Lewis was in the lead in 3 races when he retired, and Vettel only once in Valencia.

But I noticed something which might be coincidence that Hamilton reliability issues mostly cropped up after his announced move to Mercedes.

#469 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:56

Every driver had his own fair share of misfortunes this year; it just so happen that Lewis suffered more than others.

True, but the ones i listed weren't Lewis's only misfortunes.

6. Germany Puncture 0 points (qualified 8th but kimi qualified 10th and finished 3rd.)
7. Belgian Grosjean 0 points (qualified 8th)
8. don't even get me started on the pits stop screw ups

Number of times not scoring points.
Vettel - 3
Alonso - 2
Kimi - 1
Lewis - 6
Jennson - 6
Webber - 5

#470 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,836 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:18

Vettel - 3
Alonso - 2
Kimi - 1
Lewis - 6
Jennson - 6
Webber - 5

Interesting to see Kimi's none-scorers. You can see how he managed to maintain such a high position in the WDC for so long.

#471 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:20

6. Germany Puncture 0 points (qualified 8th but kimi qualified 10th and finished 3rd.)

Vettel - 3
Alonso - 2
Kimi - 1
Lewis - 6
Jennson - 6
Webber - 5

I think Lewis' misfortunes this year have been well documented, either through reliability issues, operational cock-ups or plain out-of-luck with some drivers.

He should have been up there fighting for the championship with Sebastian and Fernando till the very end, but that is just motor racing. We shall see whether he'll better lucks at Mercedes.

#472 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:55

Vettel - 3
Alonso - 2
Kimi - 1
Lewis - 6
Jennson - 6
Webber - 5

There's yet more that can be added to the list:

9. Korea - suspension failure while running 4th and pressing Alonso for 3rd, eventually finished 10th. Points loss = a likely 11/14 points
10. Suzuka - undetected roll bar failure at the start of qualifying, compromising entire race weekend. Poins loss = undeterminable.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 02 December 2012 - 11:56.

#473 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:41

Without a doubt Lewis would have been unbeatable if the damn car would have held together and the team would not have made too many mistakes. The only bad thing is, that so far the team and car he will be driving for next year, only seemed worse.

#474 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,787 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:57

Without a doubt Lewis would have been unbeatable if the damn car would have held together and the team would not have made too many mistakes. The only bad thing is, that so far the team and car he will be driving for next year, only seemed worse.

Mercedes going to use the same car next year?....

#475 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 13:23

No, but one can not say that Mercedes had shown huge improvements from 2011 to 2012 either.

#476 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:03

Does anyone have any pics of of Lewis crossing the line to the chequered flag? (Looking for a new wallpaper so preferably in high-res if possible)

In the past I have used these to show a few, any suggestions?

http://i.dailymail.c...603_468x286.jpg
http://f1pulse.com/i...ilton4-9912.jpg
http://images.supers...n-Flag-R400.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.co...tGCufXg-a-I9KIA

#477 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:10

http://mercedesbenzb...is-hamilton.jpg Hungary 2009

http://images.cdn.au.....lton Wins.jpg Canada 2012

http://farm7.static....6509355c4_o.jpg Germany 2011

http://www.theepocht...ne_77111369.jpg Japan 2007

http://blogimg.wemot...of-China-16.jpg China 2011

Edited by jrg19, 02 December 2012 - 14:13.

#478 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:15

Excellent. Thank you

#479 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 14:58

No team is going to use the same car for next year's campaign.... :)

Is W04 going to be an evolution of W03? Not if you believe what Lauda said a few months back.

http://www.auto123.c...ar?artid=148971

Advertisement

#480 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 16:05

No, but one can not say that Mercedes had shown huge improvements from 2011 to 2012 either.

If Renault/Lotus can go from a very shaky 5th in the WCC, to an untouchable 4th so can Merc. I would go as far as to say if Grosjean had not missed scoring points 10 times :eek: , mostly due to his own stupidity Lotus might have taken 3rd from McLaren.

#481 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:12

That's all we need next year, a bullet proof car about the same speed as the Lotus, Hamilton will do the rest. Just a clean simple working base that takes well to development.

#482 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 18:32

It could be difficult in some races next season when Lewis puts the car places it potentially shouldn't be in qualifying, only to watch him go backwards into the pack.

#483 joshb

joshb

• 3,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 19:39

It could be difficult in some races next season when Lewis puts the car places it potentially shouldn't be in qualifying, only to watch him go backwards into the pack.

if its like 2012, see Schumacher's race at Austin...

#484 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 19:42

I hate that, the way it unfairly reflects upon the driver. Trulli's reputation for not having any racepace was partly to do with this very thing - that he put the car places it didn't belong.

#485 Rybo

Rybo

• 337 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:14

I think if the car has the pace the drop off during the race wont be too bad assuming Merc can cure their rear tire and under fueling problems.

#486 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,836 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:34

I hate that, the way it unfairly reflects upon the driver. Trulli's reputation for not having any racepace was partly to do with this very thing - that he put the car places it didn't belong.

:up: Indeed. Equally drivers who do the opposite (race very well but qualify poorly, relatively) get tarred with the same brush, but I guess that's the way of the world.

If Mercedes can deliver a car that's reliable and doesn't eat the tyres I'm sure Hamilton will show what it's capable of. The trouble is after this season I wouldn't be totally confident that Mercedes's problems have been cured.

#487 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:42

if its like 2012, see Schumacher's race at Austin...

I really hope its not like that, with the team in place and a change from the suspension that eats the rear tyre and dropping the DDRS that has apparently hindered front wing development.

Also at the start of the season Nico won and if Michael had started from pole in Monaco, he had a very good chance of winning.

Next season RedBull could be hindered in Qualifying without their DDRS, Ferrari could have another early season gaff and McLarens driver line up has been weakened.

#488 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 579 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 20:59

If you have been following even remotely the last 3 years of mercedes, you might be worrying that hamilton is in for 3 years (probably less, if he was smart and put performance clauses in the contract) of sheer hell. I am, I consider it a waste of one of the best drivers around.

#489 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:23

For anyone with an extra 10 minutes of life to spare.

Enjoy!

#490 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 21:45

If you have been following even remotely the last 3 years of mercedes, you might be worrying that hamilton is in for 3 years (probably less, if he was smart and put performance clauses in the contract) of sheer hell. I am, I consider it a waste of one of the best drivers around.

I agree fully, as a fan of both Hamilton and McLaren I am still devastated with this move.

#491 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:06

I really hope its not like that, with the team in place and a change from the suspension that eats the rear tyre and dropping the DDRS that has apparently hindered front wing development.

Also at the start of the season Nico won and if Michael had started from pole in Monaco, he had a very good chance of winning.

Next season RedBull could be hindered in Qualifying without their DDRS, Ferrari could have another early season gaff and McLarens driver line up has been weakened.

I like the avatar. :up:

#492 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:24

I like the avatar. :up:

Cheers, made it myself.

Might need modifying once the car is actually released but its based on previous Merc race numbers.

#493 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 229 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:31

The fastest driver is moving to the 5th or 6th best team in F1. I am delighted to say that I can't wait to see Lewis charge through the field, making every single driver hate him even more. I think he needed a change and a move to Mercedes was ideal for him. I do believe he'll be back at McLaren if Red Bull or Ferrari doesn't take him onboard once Vettel leaves or Alonso retires.

His drives this year especially on qualifying was extremely special. The only driver to have made Q3 throughout the season, the most poles I reckon as well? He had the best car this season but probably the worst reliability in terms of team collaboration and car reliability itself. I hope Mercedes can give him a decent car in 2014 if not next year. I had all my bets on Vettel winning the championship once Lewis' car retired in Singapore from pole and I was right all along. I am sorry for Fernando who drove the best all season but even 2 DNFs can come back to haunt you at the end. Vettel is a fantastic three time WDC but he comes 2nd best to Alonso & Lewis.

#494 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,924 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 23:49

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Looking for a new avatar too for next year and found this,2005... time flies.

Edited by Boxerevo, 03 December 2012 - 00:01.

#495 SirT

SirT

• 173 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 00:07

Is there any news on Andy Latham yet. I hope he dosen't go with Lewis to Merc. Lewis needs a different RE, someone with better communication skills.

#496 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,528 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:26

:)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.mercedes-...Adventskalender

Edited by Timstr11, 03 December 2012 - 10:37.

#497 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:38

Is there any news on Andy Latham yet. I hope he dosen't go with Lewis to Merc. Lewis needs a different RE, someone with better communication skills.

I think that is a pretty harsh thing to say and the fact you have nothing to back up that claim speaks volumes.

#498 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,977 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00

I was vaguely wondering what was happening with Andy too. I see Jenson posted this on twitter last month which only raises more questions than it answers:

https://twitter.com/...906267744862208

"Hanging out with Andy Latham in mission control "@thespartnership: Filming in mission control at MTC with Jenson"

#499 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:21

http://www.mercedes-...Adventskalender

Are they counting down towards Christmas or the day Lewis Hamilton will finally join them? Didn't quite understand their purpose :well:

Advertisement

#500 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,528 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:04

Are they counting down towards Christmas or the day Lewis Hamilton will finally join them? Didn't quite understand their purpose :well:

To be honest, at first I didn't quite get it either.
But it looks like they will have a new calender every day until christmas as it is an Advent Calender.