* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#501 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:40

To be honest, at first I didn't quite get it either.
But it looks like they will have a new calender every day until christmas as it is an Advent Calender.

"Only 23 more sleeps..." remark suggests that something or someone is going to, well, happen or be. Anyway, looks interesting to say the least :)

Advertisement

#502 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,159 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:44

"Only 23 more sleeps..." remark suggests that something or someone is going to, well, happen or be. Anyway, looks interesting to say the least :)

You mean like...oh I don't know, Christmas day??

Think it's just a advent calander.. roll on Jan when we get some new car reveals!

#503 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,185 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:29

To be honest, at first I didn't quite get it either.
But it looks like they will have a new calender every day until christmas as it is an Advent Calender.

Why does an F1 team have an advent calendar?

Would any Merc fans like to tell us why Merc is doing this...

#504 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:38

You need a Merc insider to explain this. Not a fan.

#505 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:41

You mean like...oh I don't know, Christmas day??

Think it's just a advent calander.. roll on Jan when we get some new car reveals!

Oops. I didn't know what advent calender means. Christmas is not an inherited celebration in my culture, hence my confusion.

Got it now.

#506 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,208 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:29

Why not?

It's just a bit of fun. It costs bugger all to do and doesn't take resources away from any F1 activities.

#507 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 15:44

???? Because Its December? I don't get it. Does it disturb you?

#508 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 980 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 16:24

It's a German tradition if I recall correctly. They reveal one box each day.

#509 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,185 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:31

It's a German tradition if I recall correctly. They reveal one box each day.

Ah, OK - thank you.

#510 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:14

Anyone read this. Any new insights? Likely not.

Posted Image

#511 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:25

Anyone read this. Any new insights? Likely not.

Posted Image

It was a Benson article, so not really, asides from one key bit where he claimed that McLaren's top offer was £13.5m, but Merc had offered almost £20m.

#512 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,476 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:32

It was a Benson article, so not really, asides from one key bit where he claimed that McLaren's top offer was £13.5m, but Merc had offered almost £20m.

Ok. Thx.

#513 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:32

I think that is a pretty harsh thing to say and the fact you have nothing to back up that claim speaks volumes.

Also if Lewis wants to take him to Mercedes in a RE role surely that is indication enough that he is doing something right.

#514 vlado

vlado

• 190 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:58

For anyone with an extra 10 minutes of life to spare.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that! Good stuff.. I think he is best driver on grid.

#515 abc

abc

• 1,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:42

Im big fan of his. Im sure when tires are hard enough to be pushed 100% over the whole normal stint, he is the quickest out there and would beat Alonso more convincingly than in 2007. His quali record last year against Button in normal conditions was 15:0, Brasil being actually the closest margin between them two.

But from time to time he has big issues regarding tire management. For example in Brasil he made mess of them in 4 laps, while Button went on and on. I didnt visit any Lewis thread since then so Im wondering if there was any particular reason for that. First laps of Brasil GP provided exactly conditions where I would expect Lewis to excel and dominate Button but it was not the case at all. In general since introduction of Pirelli his races are IMO too dependant on given tires, at least more than in case of Alonso or Vettel. What do you think?

#516 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,946 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:57

Im big fan of his. Im sure when tires are hard enough to be pushed 100% over the whole normal stint, he is the quickest out there and would beat Alonso more convincingly than in 2007. His quali record last year against Button in normal conditions was 15:0, Brasil being actually the closest margin between them two.

But from time to time he has big issues regarding tire management. For example in Brasil he made mess of them in 4 laps, while Button went on and on. I didnt visit any Lewis thread since then so Im wondering if there was any particular reason for that. First laps of Brasil GP provided exactly conditions where I would expect Lewis to excel and dominate Button but it was not the case at all. In general since introduction of Pirelli his races are IMO too dependant on given tires, at least more than in case of Alonso or Vettel. What do you think?

I think all drivers have races when they struggle with tyres. Jenson always does spectacularly well in changeable track conditions like we saw in Brazil, it's his greatest strength. But he's had races where he has really struggled. His race in Malaysia was a total disaster - he just couldn't get the tyres working for some reason.

In general, I think Lewis's reputation as someone who can't manage his tryes is greatly exaggerated. He was the only driver in the Spanish GP to manage to make only one stop, for example and it meant he finished ahead of his team mate despite having to start from the back of the grid.

#517 Snic

Snic

• 563 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02

In Brazil Mclaren split strategies and Ham switched to intermediates and Button didn't, the track wasn't wet enough for inters so the tread wore out. Besides slicks never get as worn in semi wet conditions because they operate at much lower speeds.

I don't have any stats to back this up but Button has probably had more pit stops over the course of this year than Hamilton, Ham has completely changed his driving style and is as smooth now as anyone else on the grid. Whenever David Croft praises Button's smooth 'tyre whispering' driving style he usually ends up pitting after a lap or two... IIRC Button made more pit stops than Lewis in Malaysia and Bahrain amd possibly China, and amazingly in Spain even though Lewis spent most of the race fighting through traffic

Edited by Snic, 04 December 2012 - 09:05.

#518 abc

abc

• 1,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:43

In Brazil Mclaren split strategies and Ham switched to intermediates and Button didn't, the track wasn't wet enough for inters so the tread wore out. Besides slicks never get as worn in semi wet conditions because they operate at much lower speeds.

I ment how quickly Lewis worn those slicks on which he started. He couldnt drive on them after 6 laps. That resulted in inferior strategy and loosing 40 sec. on JB. That was performance Im not comfortable with, asking myself what has happened.

#519 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23

I ment how quickly Lewis worn those slicks on which he started. He couldnt drive on them after 6 laps. That resulted in inferior strategy and loosing 40 sec. on JB. That was performance Im not comfortable with, asking myself what has happened.

What race where you watching? He didn't wear them out, IMHO he couldn't get them/keep them up to temperature so gambled for inters.
The decision was obviously influenced by the team radioing him that it will keep raining for the next half hour.

Edited by peroa, 04 December 2012 - 10:28.

Advertisement

#520 abc

abc

• 1,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:53

What race where you watching? He didn't wear them out, IMHO he couldn't get them/keep them up to temperature so gambled for inters.
The decision was obviously influenced by the team radioing him that it will keep raining for the next half hour.

Sorry just wrong term. Fact is he couldnt get tires to work. He was slow and after 5 laps he could barely hold car on track in contrast to JB. My question still remains why Lewis is from time to time so uncomfortable with Pirellis. He is driver I expect to be 15 sec. ahead by lap 20 in such conditions. He struggled too many times with JBs race pace during last two years for a driver of Lewis calibre. And now he cant get heat into tires whereas JB can? It adds more confusion to the matter

#521 bub

bub

• 1,967 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32

Sorry just wrong term. Fact is he couldnt get tires to work. He was slow and after 5 laps he could barely hold car on track in contrast to JB. My question still remains why Lewis is from time to time so uncomfortable with Pirellis. He is driver I expect to be 15 sec. ahead by lap 20 in such conditions. He struggled too many times with JBs race pace during last two years for a driver of Lewis calibre. And now he cant get heat into tires whereas JB can? It adds more confusion to the matter

Driving style, car set up I'm not sure but these tyres are known for being very sensitive to temperature and having a narrow optimum operating window, even more so with the McLaren (going off Button's form this year) than most cars. I also feel that in conditions like Brazil 2012 (especially with such tyres) there is always an element of lottery to it because while I think Button and Hulkenberg are excellent in these conditions I really don't think Hulkenberg in a Force India would be outperforming Ferrari's, Red Bull's, and McLaren's in normal circumstances. There is also the fact that Hamilton is a human and not perfect and Button is a world class driver when he's on form so there are gonna be races and race stints where he performs better than Hamilton. This is all just my speculation of course.
As for 2011 as I said Button is world class when he's on form and last year was probably his best ever, he was happy with the car (I don't remember as many complaints about balance),EBD and tyres. 2011 was also probably Hamilton worst season, it's clear to see he wasn't fully focused. The Pirellis tyres also require more management meaning Hamilton couldn't use his main advantage over JB, raw pace, to pull away but Button could use one of his main strengths, being easy on tyres.

Edited by bub, 04 December 2012 - 11:44.

#522 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39

IMHO, he couldn't get the softs into their window, gambled with the inters and had no problem with pace on the hards, well, at least not in relation to JB.
It's all about tyre temps and setup window.

Edited by peroa, 04 December 2012 - 11:43.

#523 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,432 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:50

....was just thinking, with Hamilton driving for Mercedes, he will probably have an easier path to participating in the RoC.
I like that!

#524 akshay380

akshay380

• 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:12

All this conclusion based on one race? Could be simply a different setup for different race conditions. Sorry I am confused.

Edited by akshay380, 04 December 2012 - 14:18.

#525 akshay380

akshay380

• 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:14

In earlier pages, someone had mentioned that VMM should not be using Lewis for PR. Does not seem to be the case.
This weekend, Vodafone Malta is raising its game by bringing Lewis Hamilton and his Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 car to Malta for the very first time!

Edited by akshay380, 04 December 2012 - 14:16.

#526 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,432 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:21

I said it, they'll milk his name and presense as much as they can. Understandably.

#527 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:34

....was just thinking, with Hamilton driving for Mercedes, he will probably have an easier path to participating in the RoC.
I like that!

Button had participated in 2011 as a McLaren driver. Didn't quite understand your point.

#528 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,432 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:37

Button had participated in 2011 as a McLaren driver. Didn't quite understand your point.

Right! I forgot! There's still a point there though, as for instance Häkkinen and DC never took part as McLaren-drivers.

#529 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,832 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:51

Right! I forgot! There's still a point there though, as for instance Häkkinen and DC never took part as McLaren-drivers.

DC took part in 2004 while at McLaren.

#530 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,185 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:52

In earlier pages, someone had mentioned that VMM should not be using Lewis for PR. Does not seem to be the case.
This weekend, Vodafone Malta is raising its game by bringing Lewis Hamilton and his Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 car to Malta for the very first time!

:lol:

right to the bitter end...

Edited by jjcale, 04 December 2012 - 14:53.

#531 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,664 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:54

C'mon JJ!!!!! Is this really a problem? If people aren't interested then ignore it.

#532 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,432 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:15

DC took part in 2004 while at McLaren.

...out of contract....

#533 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,832 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:17

...out of contract....

Ah, good point.

#534 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:29

Hamilton is overqualified for race of Champions anyway.

#535 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,832 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:32

Overqualified? :confused:

#536 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,185 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:01

C'mon JJ!!!!! Is this really a problem? If people aren't interested then ignore it.

Not a problem ... just seemed a bit out of place ... but someone explained above its a German tradition - so that's all I was expecting to hear.

The post seems to have come across as upset but I was just curious....

#537 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22

Not a problem ... just seemed a bit out of place ... but someone explained above its a German tradition - so that's all I was expecting to hear.

Its also a British tradition. It may have stemmed from Germany I don't know, but advent calendars are traditional in the UK and have been for my my life time. I don't think making a team advent calendar is because Lewis is going to a German sponsored team lol.

#538 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:54

Overqualified? :confused:

TDG.

:cool:

#539 akshay380

akshay380

• 515 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:41

http://forums.autosp...w...178677&st=0 :wave:

Advertisement

#540 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,185 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:45

I would love to see LH in the ROC .... but I dont think he would blow the others away.

I'd also like to see him do Massa's end of season karting event.

#541 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06

I would say he is perfectly qualified because it's less of a team game, technically.

Also shorter races means he is less likely to crash..

#542 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28

Yup, like we saw him do so often this year.

#543 Elissa

Elissa

• 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:54

I would say he is perfectly qualified because it's less of a team game, technically.

Posted Image

#544 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:35

To quote yourself:

ha ok maybe...couldn't resist

#545 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:36

Yup, like we saw him do so often this year.

he was just lucky this year

#546 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:40

he was just lucky this year

And every other year where he hasn't crashed a lot lol.

#547 amppatel

amppatel

• 438 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:49

And every other year where he hasn't crashed a lot lol.

Crashing must be fun, why not let him crash whenever he wants? Don't feed the Troll!

#548 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:51

Crashing must be fun, why not let him crash whenever he wants? Don't feed the Troll!

lol true... I wasn't being serious anyway :)

#549 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:03

yeah i was serious :rolleyes:

#550 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 693 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:00

TDG.

:cool:

:drunk:

And you wonder why some people have a go at Lewis' fans sometimes.... Sigh.