* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#551 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:34

He sounds totally commited to his future at Mercedes, doesn't he?

:D

Advertisement

#552 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:37

The sooner the better for both parties imo. Or at least for Mclaren tbh.. :p

#553 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:41

Am I missing something?

#554 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:43

The quotes are taken from this interview conducted on the Thursday 22nd November at Brazil

http://www1.skysport...o/12479/8271318

It's the one that prompted Whitmarsh to jokingly express hope that LH was just on a 'gap year'.

Must be slow news time for Autosport.

#555 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:31

I'm NOT entirely convinced that the Autosport article is defiintely a 'news' item. I'm SURE it was well reported on weeks ago. Even IF it was 'news', I hardly think it constitutes a SERIOUS threat to the developing relationship between H.A.M. and Merc.

#556 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:30

Sorry just wrong term. Fact is he couldnt get tires to work. He was slow and after 5 laps he could barely hold car on track in contrast to JB. My question still remains why Lewis is from time to time so uncomfortable with Pirellis. He is driver I expect to be 15 sec. ahead by lap 20 in such conditions. He struggled too many times with JBs race pace during last two years for a driver of Lewis calibre. And now he cant get heat into tires whereas JB can? It adds more confusion to the matter

First i've heard of that, was this said by either Hamilton or McLaren? I just thought that it might have been a case of Button simply being quicker at that stage of the race.

#557 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:34

Old news .....started from when whitmarsh joked LH was on a gap year. It seems autosport was lat to the game. That didn't stop u though . Still finding a way to sling mud.

#558 TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA

• 142 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:36

:drunk:

And you wonder why some people have a go at Lewis' fans sometimes.... Sigh.

No kidding...nauseating.

If Hamilton is "TDG" why is the guy that has kicked his ass the last 3 years racing in the RoC? :wave:

#559 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:37

I would say he is perfectly qualified because it's less of a team game, technically.

Also shorter races means he is less likely to crash..

Would that be because there is no one to crash into him? ;)

Advertisement

#560 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:41

He's commited to a 3 year contract

#561 robefc

robefc

• 8,018 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:38

Lewis is so useless at PR, I'm pretty confident he is honestly asking the question as posed - i.e. the context is if things don't work out etc.

However, he manages to make it sound like he's putting a brave face on a very bad decision!

#562 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:41

Lewis is so useless at PR, I'm pretty confident he is honestly asking the question as posed - i.e. the context is if things don't work out etc.

However, he manages to make it sound like he's putting a brave face on a very bad decision!

Just watch the video of the interview, linked earlier in the topic.

#563 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:06

One hook, 5 bites

Anybody feeling manipulated? :wave:

#564 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:24

One hook, 5 bites

Anybody feeling manipulated? :wave:

Nope but then most here read the forum to enjoy themselves and can appreciate a link to an article.
No need to get bitter, annoyed and out of shape, don't like his take on the situation move on dude

tsssss :wave:

It's only normal to have some doubts about the Mercedes situation next year
They completely failed in the 2nd half of this season
I do think he's committed though, made his bed an will sleep in it :up:

#565 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:40

I'm NOT entirely convinced that the Autosport article is defiintely a 'news' item. I'm SURE it was well reported on weeks ago. Even IF it was 'news', I hardly think it constitutes a SERIOUS threat to the developing relationship between H.A.M. and Merc.

Hamilton/Mercedes is going to be one of the big stories of 2013 whichever way it goes. I'd expect the usual PR love-in for the first while, and after that it will depend on whether things are going acceptably well.

When does he first drive the car?

#566 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:49

Hamilton/Mercedes is going to be one of the big stories of 2013 whichever way it goes. I'd expect the usual PR love-in for the first while, and after that it will depend on whether things are going acceptably well.

Earliest would be a January PR do, but I don't expect to see him in a car until February at Jerez.

#567 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:51

Good question, is there an official pre-season test schedule? If there is, I completely missed that? Anybody?

#568 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,244 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:55

Good question, is there an official pre-season test schedule? If there is, I completely missed that? Anybody?

Jerez - 5th - 8th February
Barcelona Test 1 - 19th - 22nd February
Barcelona Test 2 - 28th February to 3rd March

#569 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 20:57

Jerez - 5th - 8th February
Barcelona Test 1 - 19th - 22nd February
Barcelona Test 2 - 28th February to 3rd March

THX :)

#570 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:06

It's a shame Hamilton drives in an era of dull and easy to drive cars. Would've loved to see him race an early 2000s car with a big engine and sticky tires.

#571 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,661 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 21:28

It's a shame Hamilton drives in an era of dull and easy to drive cars. Would've loved to see him race an early 2000s car with a big engine and sticky tires.

I am watching the '92 season and onwards nowadays. It was a manly job to drive those cars on the edge on a race distance. It is awesome to watch, really, The on-boards with Senna, Mansell, etc are just awesome. There is a stark contrast to current drivability. But I assume the top drivers would do just as well, but I agree, it IS way more spectacular, in every aspect, bar the coverage technology. I don't agree with the "dull" part though, there were some pretty dull races back then just as well.

Edited by Szoelloe, 06 December 2012 - 21:29.

#572 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:05

Why not go for the mid 80s turbo cars - a Brabham BMW or Benetton BMW!

#573 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:34

Well the current cars snap so fast Lewis is still pretty amazing to watch, and the coverage is so much better these days. And I'm not sure that he'd look any more distinctive in cars that move around more with a fuzzier limit anyway. Look at Hulk or Checo or Grosjean for example, the difference is at least as visble. Driving these cars ON the limit is incredibly difficult.

#574 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,410 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:58

Hopefully for Ham and Merc fans, RB has done a "Honda 2008" job this year, meaning ditching any dev. of the 2012 car early on in the piece, and throwing all the eggs in the 2013 basket

#575 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:01

Hopefully for Ham and Merc fans, RB has done a "Honda 2008" job this year, meaning ditching any dev. of the 2012 car early on in the piece, and throwing all the eggs in the 2013 basket

Edit - original post below, I misread your dates though (thought you meant RB stopping development in 2013 in preparation for 2014. Obviously ditching 2012 development in preparation for 2013 is even more unlikely)

-----------------------

The difference is Honda had no chance of winning anything. Why would Red Bull trade a great chance of both titles next year under regulations that they have made their own, with six titles in three years, for the uncertainty of 2013? They will do what McLaren and Ferrari did in 2008 and keep developing right to the bitter end, even if that badly affects their performance at the start of the new regulation era.

Also, for Hamilton's sake I don't want Button to win the title next year. Vettel is one of the few obstacles I see standing in his way, so I think Red Bull out of the picture would actually hurt Hamilton more than help him. If McLaren don't do much next year then he doesn't need to regret leaving as we move into the new era of 2014 and beyond; even if Mercedes don't deliver in 2014 it was still a good bet. McLaren finally putting everything together in 2013 is my only fear.

Edited by Juggles, 07 December 2012 - 04:04.

#576 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 117 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:21

with regards to a "Mclaren return" . .

I'd say he is dreaming, regardless of what LH has achieved in the last number of years . .

If in 3 years time, things haven't worked out well at Merc, sadly I believe his career is over :-(

In 3 years time, there may well be another "Hamilton" or "Vettel" maybe 2 or 3 of them - generally speaking, there is always some new Young Gun making his way up the ladder, and in 3 years time who know what/who will be "the best" -

#577 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,213 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:46

Edit - original post below, I misread your dates though (thought you meant RB stopping development in 2013 in preparation for 2014. Obviously ditching 2012 development in preparation for 2013 is even more unlikely)

-----------------------

The difference is Honda had no chance of winning anything. Why would Red Bull trade a great chance of both titles next year under regulations that they have made their own, with six titles in three years, for the uncertainty of 2013? They will do what McLaren and Ferrari did in 2008 and keep developing right to the bitter end, even if that badly affects their performance at the start of the new regulation era.

Also, for Hamilton's sake I don't want Button to win the title next year. Vettel is one of the few obstacles I see standing in his way, so I think Red Bull out of the picture would actually hurt Hamilton more than help him. If McLaren don't do much next year then he doesn't need to regret leaving as we move into the new era of 2014 and beyond; even if Mercedes don't deliver in 2014 it was still a good bet. McLaren finally putting everything together in 2013 is my only fear.

I think he meant Ross Brawn.

#578 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:42

I'd say he is dreaming, regardless of what LH has achieved in the last number of years . .

If in 3 years time, things haven't worked out well at Merc, sadly I believe his career is over :-(
In 3 years time, there may well be another "Hamilton" or "Vettel" maybe 2 or 3 of them - generally speaking, there is always some new Young Gun making his way up the ladder, and in 3 years time who know what/who will be "the best" -

No, can't agree. If you have shown the talent there will be at least some level of opportunity. Look at Kimi, for example. He wasn't forgotten about.

There should, hopefully, be some new talent on the way. With MS now retired and FM appearing to be back to his best, the next wave of driver retirements are more than three years away. One exception is MW, and perhaps KR after a few more years. I'd expect Jenson, Fernando and co to continue on for a while beyond 2015.

Edited by garoidb, 07 December 2012 - 08:42.

#579 03011969

• 489 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:48

It is such a non-story and definitely not news.

Why would he rule out returning to McLaren, or driving for Ferrari or Red Bull etc?

I guess Autosport just had a gap to fill and know that anything with Lewis in the title will make some people read, and a percentage of those click on an advert. If anything it's simply an indication that their horrible arm-twisting to get people to subscribe is failing.

Advertisement

#580 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:54

Yeah, thanks for rushing us all the latest news hot off the griddle, Autosport - can't wait to find out what happens in the Brazilian GP!

#581 peroa

peroa

• 8,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:55

It is such a non-story and definitely not news.

Why would he rule out returning to McLaren, or driving for Ferrari or Red Bull etc?

I guess Autosport just had a gap to fill and know that anything with Lewis in the title will make some people read, and a percentage of those click on an advert. If anything it's simply an indication that their horrible arm-twisting to get people to subscribe is failing.

The next years for LH will be (even) tough(er) press wise, no matter what he does, the knives are getting ready...

#582 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:59

What I do not see, is how people believe Mercedes would be less strict working enviroment. Surely there might be less PR and they do not care so much about what he does in his free time, but I have no doubts that things like Twittergate would not go down well there either.

#583 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12

So Alonso's career ended when he spent two years at Renault after driving for Mclaren? :rolleyes:

Driver's like Alonso and Hamilton don't grow on trees. There are plenty of good drivers cropping up every year but few truly exceptional ones.

#584 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:15

The next years for LH will be (even) tough(er) press wise, no matter what he does, the knives are getting ready...

A couple of weeks ago The Daily Mail helpfully expained why Lewis has to behave better than all the other drivers if he doesn't want to have the press kicking the shit out of him:

"Lewis Hamilton must play by different set of rules to Kimi Raikkonen and co"

Unfortunately for Hamilton, his behaviour comes under scrutiny like that of no other driver in the paddock. Can you imagine the outpouring of condemnation had Hamilton dropped the f-bomb just as Vettel did on the Abu Dhabi podium? We'd probably still be talking about it now. While I'd love to have seen the reaction if Kimi Raikkonen had depicted a similar acronym on his helmet to that of Hamilton's in Austin? 'Good on Kimi,' they'd probably say. 'What a legend'.

But Hamilton isn't Raikkonen. And rightly or wrongly, he must play by a different set of rules. The sometimes negative headlines from the British-based media is born out of a desperate desire to see Hamilton fulfil his potential. Whether he or McLaren have been at fault, Hamilton should have celebrated more than just one title in his six-year spell. "

ahahaha, good one, DM.

#585 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,606 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:17

So Alonso's career ended when he spent two years at Renault after driving for Mclaren? :rolleyes:

Driver's like Alonso and Hamilton don't grow on trees. There are plenty of good drivers cropping up every year but few truly exceptional ones.

Yes. Alonso has had a two year hiatus in his career in 08/09. Kimi did too, in 10/11. MS was out for three years 07/08/09. Even after his first GP win, JB had two dreadful years at Honda in 07/08. All of these drivers were able to secure further opportunities based on what they had done before.

#586 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:23

What I do not see, is how people believe Mercedes would be less strict working enviroment. Surely there might be less PR and they do not care so much about what he does in his free time, but I have no doubts that things like Twittergate would not go down well there either.

There will be a different attitude, is the difference. It will be much more like Alonso's relationship with Ferrari.

#587 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24

Agreed. Not only is Hamilton wasting the prime years of his career. Who knows whether the top cockpits will still be free at all by then. Top teams will not want to trade away a Raikkönen, Alonso or Vettel for him. With the amount of bad luck Hamilton attaches I would not be surprised if he doesnt ever come back into a top car until late in his career.

#588 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:27

I think people are getting ahead of themselves here, let him turn a wheel in a Mercedes before we start predicting where he will end up afterwards! :drunk:

#589 peroa

peroa

• 8,897 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:32

A couple of weeks ago The Daily Mail helpfully expained why Lewis has to behave better than all the other drivers if he doesn't want to have the press kicking the shit out of him:

ahahaha, good one, DM.

Well, that's the kind of BS I meant.
Lol, at the explanation, F1 "press" BS at its best.

#590 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:40

Agreed. Not only is Hamilton wasting the prime years of his career. Who knows whether the top cockpits will still be free at all by then. Top teams will not want to trade away a Raikkönen, Alonso or Vettel for him. With the amount of bad luck Hamilton attaches I would not be surprised if he doesnt ever come back into a top car until late in his career.

Last time I checked there were 2 seats per team...am sure there will be other seats available. :)

#591 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:47

ahahaha, good one, DM.

The comparison is pointless, because of one huge difference: Kimi does not give a shit on what the pres writes about him or what the public thinks, Lewis does. It does not matter to Kimi if they bash him or they love him, Lewis seems to want to be loved and praised. Km,i ignores the press to a large extent, Lewis uses the press to create an image of himself. Lewis is a big celebrity, Kimi is just a good F1 driver.

#592 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:57

The comparison is pointless, because of one huge difference: Kimi does not give a shit on what the pres writes about him or what the public thinks, Lewis does. It does not matter to Kimi if they bash him or they love him, Lewis seems to want to be loved and praised. Km,i ignores the press to a large extent, Lewis uses the press to create an image of himself. Lewis is a big celebrity, Kimi is just a good F1 driver.

And Vettel?

"Can you imagine the outpouring of condemnation had Hamilton dropped the f-bomb just as Vettel did on the Abu Dhabi podium?"

#593 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:01

I think people are getting ahead of themselves here, let him turn a wheel in a Mercedes before we start predicting where he will end up afterwards! :drunk:

It is going to be a long winter.

Posted Image

#594 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,239 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04

Last time I checked there were 2 seats per team...am sure there will be other seats available. :)

And bring in further trouble and inter-team battle shenanigans why? Hamilton attracts bad luck, it is not certain cockpits at the front will be available at the time he needs it. The car he had was really fast, he could have won several races, if Mclaren irons out the reliability issues and fights for the Championship he will look pretty silly.

#595 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04

And Vettel?

"Can you imagine the outpouring of condemnation had Hamilton dropped the f-bomb just as Vettel did on the Abu Dhabi podium?"

I have not seen Vettel in the news doing any celebrity stuff. So from a media standpoint he is dull and boring. Outside the F1 fans, nobody really cares what Vettel does.

Edited by seahawk, 07 December 2012 - 10:09.

#596 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:20

I have not seen Vettel in the news doing any celebrity stuff. So from a media standpoint he is dull and boring. Outside the F1 fans, nobody really cares what Vettel does.

Circular reasoning. You don't know what 'celebrity stuff' Vettel and the others do, you just know you don't read about it. Or in other words, the reason Vettel is boring is because he isn't in the papers but the reason he isn't in the papers is because he's boring.

#597 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:25

Circular reasoning. You don't know what 'celebrity stuff' Vettel and the others do, you just know you don't read about it. Or in other words, the reason Vettel is boring is because he isn't in the papers but the reason he isn't in the papers is because he's boring.

Well, if he would be doing celebrity stuff, we would see pictures of him. He surely is famous enough to be shown attending such an event.

#598 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,086 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38

Well, if he would be doing celebrity stuff, we would see pictures of him. He surely is famous enough to be shown attending such an event.

When you talk of 'celebrity stuff', what do you actually mean by that?

#599 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:42

When you talk of 'celebrity stuff', what do you actually mean by that?

Attending movie premieres, gala events, fashion shootings and such things. Or in general events with a high public interest with no connection to F1. Obviously for Lewis Nicole makes things worse.

Advertisement

#600 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:45

Attending movie premieres, gala events, fashion shootings and such things. Or in general events with a high public interest with no connection to F1. Obviously for Lewis Nicole makes things worse.

Is there something wrong with a driver doing those things? He gets a lot of flack for it even though he's not the first F1 driver to attend such events and I really don't get it. Others keep a lower profile but thats up to them. I don't see any reason to criticise either or.