* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#701 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 16:27

How can it be an insult? I was just referring to verifiable events, i.e. Hamilton himself 'joking' about racial discrimination (thankfully only once, AFAIK) and, far more annyoing, some fans repeatedly abusing the theme in order to label any kind of criticism on Hamilton as motivated by racism.

As Kerch said, it's probably a 'non native speaker' thing.

It reads like an insult, actually I only re-read it to look for a different intepretation when I saw it was you posting :)

Advertisement

#702 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 16:55

Ah the usual suspects chime in in their numbers to render null and void the opinions of others. Some have no credibility whatsoever. I always remember someone having a dig at Hamilton by quoting something Lewis had said. Thing is, it was Kimi who had said it!
On topic: I do believe that had Lewis Hamilton been a blond, blue-eyed Caucasian be would never have to face half the vitriol directed his way. As one person already pointed out Vettel can say "f**k" and have that glossed over by the media with a grin. Dear God if Lewis had done that! But the acronym HAM is vile and perverse as it gets.
It is clear there is a massive double standard in how Hamilton is treated and it is not far-fetched to attribute this to him being black. (The irony is he is as white as he is black lol). Just check the internet for how many folks really feel about the guy, raw and uncensored, not polished turds that you find on the "civilized" forums.

I don't even know what HAM means, anyone care to help me out here?

#703 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:04

I don't even know what HAM means, anyone care to help me out here?

http://www.urbandict....php?term=H.A.M

#704 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:17

It's all a commotion about nothing then really, the most it would do if he had it on his helmet is make him look like a dick. As it would any driver.

#705 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,192 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:19

Its from a JZ song?! :| .... OK - I dont defend him anymore on this.

#706 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:23

It's all a commotion about nothing then really, the most it would do if he had it on his helmet is make him look like a dick. As it would any driver.

Absolutely.

#707 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 17:50

Ah the usual suspects chime in in their numbers to render null and void the opinions of others. Some have no credibility whatsoever. I always remember someone having a dig at Hamilton by quoting something Lewis had said. Thing is, it was Kimi who had said it!
On topic: I do believe that had Lewis Hamilton been a blond, blue-eyed Caucasian be would never have to face half the vitriol directed his way. As one person already pointed out Vettel can say "f**k" and have that glossed over by the media with a grin. Dear God if Lewis had done that! But the acronym HAM is vile and perverse as it gets.
It is clear there is a massive double standard in how Hamilton is treated and it is not far-fetched to attribute this to him being black. (The irony is he is as white as he is black lol). Just check the internet for how many folks really feel about the guy, raw and uncensored, not polished turds that you find on the "civilized" forums.

I think that you are wrong in this post on more than just one count. I use shortcuts (Gro, Kamu, Seb, Ham), and never thought about it in any way than as it was meant, until you drew attention to it here. It may surprise you, but not all of us study or use fully updated and latest pages of Urban Dictionary of Internet Accronyms. Color of anyone's skin comes up only when some posters raise it, otherwise it is absolutely none-issue. Hamilton's public persona is of course something else, as it is with all people who are in spotlight; from Justin Beiber, to Tiger Woods. Hamilton is no exception.

#708 Curt000

Curt000

• 207 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 19:16

Can't wait until lewis hops in the merc next year!!!!!

#709 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:19

Your living in a dream world.

England has generally been the most accepting of other cultures when compared to the rest of the worlds stance and history, and yet so many news stories even just yesterday about racist chants and such at football games. Racism never died, and it never will.

Lewis is as much white as he is black by the way, although that probably pisses off more racists that they be comin' and stealin' our wimin.

I'm talking about criticism he gets for his silly twitters about JB or telemetry or for Melbourne 09.
These are connected to his actions and personality and not his race IMO.

I wasn't talking about racism in general in society.

#710 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:28

Can't wait until lewis hops in the merc next year!!!!!

Yep me too!!! Unfortunately, until then, we will have to put up with the highly strung baiting/counter bait nonsense through off season!

#711 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 21:45

Yep me too!!! Unfortunately, until then, we will have to put up with the highly strung baiting/counter bait nonsense through off season!

You think it will be any better next year?

#712 dhill39

dhill39

• 410 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:03

It won't change,people will be arguing over the same stuff,but different ways,we should change the forum name to ground hog day.

#713 as65p

as65p

• 17,086 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 22:53

As Kerch said, it's probably a 'non native speaker' thing.

It reads like an insult, actually I only re-read it to look for a different intepretation when I saw it was you posting :)

After re-reading it, I see now what you mean. No, I did NOT want to say that Hamilton the man is a "pathetic excuse" for anything.

Sorry for the confusion.

#714 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53

The FIA were quite clear that Ryan told the stewards the lie first, and even answered for Lewis, leaving Lewis in the position of having to shoot down Ryan or go along with it.

What he should have done was say to Ryan, "Dude, I've already told the truth in front of TV cameras".

#715 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:56

Anybody else notice that Lewis seems to have more hair on his head than he used to?

a couple years ago:

Posted Image

2012:

Posted Image

Yeah, my hair grows like that as well, amazing!

#716 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:49

Hamilton said in Malta: Target for podium finishes in 2013 F1 with Mercedes
http://www.formula1o...e.com/2012/12/h ... es-in.html

Hamilton demonstrations run at Malta airport with MP4-26 - Video

Posted Image

#717 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:00

Your living in a dream world.

England has generally been the most accepting of other cultures when compared to the rest of the worlds stance and history, and yet so many news stories even just yesterday about racist chants and such at football games. Racism never died, and it never will.

Lewis is as much white as he is black by the way, although that probably pisses off more racists that they be comin' and stealin' our wimin.

I disagree after my experience on vacation in Mexico where i encountered alot of your country men.

#718 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:09

He received a three-foot model of his 2008 Championship winning car and he emotionally ended off saying: "Maybe I'll come back one day... if you'll have me."

http://planetf1.com/...ewell-For-Lewis

Just a three foot model? I would have thought he would get to leave with something more substantial than a scale model.

#719 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:12

http://planetf1.com/...ewell-For-Lewis

Just a three foot model? I would have thought he would get to leave with something more substantial than a scale model.

He has, a bulging bank account.

Advertisement

#720 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:22

He has, a bulging bank account.

And been given a great gift in terms of a top team to drive in for the first 5 years of his career. That does not happen to a lot of drivers so he really has been privileged in that respect. Will be very interested to see what happens with Mercedes next year!

#721 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,775 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:29

And been given a great gift in terms of a top team to drive in for the first 5 years of his career. That does not happen to a lot of drivers so he really has been privileged in that respect. Will be very interested to see what happens with Mercedes next year!

BS.
He earn it...

Edited by f1fastestlap, 10 December 2012 - 11:30.

#722 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36

.............and Mclaren are privileged to have been gifted 11 pole positions by Lewis this year and plenty of podium finishes throughout the past 5 year. They are equally privileged to have earned his loyalty during that period.

#723 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:47

BS.
He earn it...

.............and Mclaren are privileged to have been gifted 11 pole positions by Lewis this year and plenty of podium finishes throughout the past 5 year. They are equally privileged to have earned his loyalty during that period.

Don't be so quick to be defense. Of course he deserved it, but drivers do not always get to jump into a top team in F1 straight away that is a great gift and I love McLaren for giving him that opportunity and was merely pointing this out. Lewis has yes delivered in the years he has been with the team, yes McLaren did drop the ball sometimes as did Lewis.

Can you not say anything in these forums without someone trying to start some level of argument..

#724 cokeb

cokeb

• 114 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:48

I just realised that Lewis has been at McLaren one year longer than Kimi was. Still feels like yesterday he started in F1. :stoned:

#725 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:56

Don't be so quick to be defense. Of course he deserved it, but drivers do not always get to jump into a top team in F1 straight away that is a great gift and I love McLaren for giving him that opportunity and was merely pointing this out. Lewis has yes delivered in the years he has been with the team, yes McLaren did drop the ball sometimes as did Lewis.

Can you not say anything in these forums without someone trying to start some level of argument..

Sorry. Didnt mean to come across as hostile. True Lewis got an amazing opportunity but likewise had he not performed exceptionally from the age of 13 he would never had stepped a foot in an F1 car. MClaren would have dropped him as quickly as they signed him. Luck is as much about an opportunity that comes your way and as it is about what you do with it.

Regardless, its been a mutually beneficial relationship. We are not far away from 2013. I look forward to the first photos of Lewis in Mercedes gear, hopefully we will see something at start of january.

Edited by F1ultimate, 10 December 2012 - 12:03.

#726 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,210 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:59

Apparently not.

I fully understood the point you made and agree. Shouldn't be forgotten that he was due to do a year as test driver and lucked in when JPM walked away.

#727 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,405 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:58

http://www.dailymail...ial-outing.html

#728 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 18:58

Thanks for the link :up:

#729 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:10

I would imagine it was a tough day and probably its now dawning on him he is actually leaving. I'm sure there are some regrets but he has a challenge ahead of him and he'll enjoy it no doubt.

#730 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 19:13

When you use terms like "gift".... your painting a negative view. It's wrong so don't be surprised someone responds with a different view.

#731 maxx7

maxx7

• 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:07

How do you think, Lewis can change the coloring of helmet in 2013. New team, a new challenge, new coloring helmet...

#732 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:21

How do you think, Lewis can change the coloring of helmet in 2013. New team, a new challenge, new coloring helmet...

I was thinking about this. Personally I would love to see a new helmet for a new era in his career.

I really liked the helmet he used in singapore this year, I think that would go really well with the Merc Livery.

#733 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:45

When you use terms like "gift".... your painting a negative view. It's wrong so don't be surprised someone responds with a different view.

What are you talking about? Lewis went straight in with a top car...that hardly ever happens...it was a gift, the right word for it.

#734 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,947 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:52

I would really like to see that. Even before the move, I was thinking that it was a shame that for all there's never ever been a driver like Lewis , he is a total one off, yet there's there's not really anything on that current helmet that a future driver could borrow a little element of to show him as being an inspiration. People would assume you were paying your own tribute to Ayrton Senna. I would like to see him take the opportunity to come up with something that more directly relates to him. Be a nice symbol of moving on to the next stage of his life too, moving away from defining himself by others to defining himself.

#735 moorsey

moorsey

• 620 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:55

What are you talking about? Lewis went straight in with a top car...that hardly ever happens...it was a gift, the right word for it.

How can it be classed as a "gift" when he had proven himself through the lower formlae? He was hardly plucked off of the street was he? A company like McLaren wouldn't have offered him the seat if they hadn't already watched him for a considerable amount of time.

#736 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:14

it's still a gift

#737 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:18

it's still a gift

And he still beat the defending 2-WDC in his rookie year.

#738 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:29

I didn't say he made a mess of it or whatever...on the contrary but it's still something special to go straight into arguably the best f1 car on the grid...

#739 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:42

I didn't say he made a mess of it or whatever...on the contrary but it's still something special to go straight into arguably the best f1 car on the grid...

Because he obviously was special (ie. was very fast, and had been groomed by the team for a decade)?

Look, I get what you are saying but fact is he earned it.

Advertisement

#740 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,789 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:42

True but the idea of it being a gift really ought to be balanced with the fact he was Fernando's team mate, which easily could have led to the destruction of his career, had he failed to perform.

#741 maxx7

maxx7

• 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:04

I would really like to see that. Even before the move, I was thinking that it was a shame that for all there's never ever been a driver like Lewis , he is a total one off, yet there's there's not really anything on that current helmet that a future driver could borrow a little element of to show him as being an inspiration. People would assume you were paying your own tribute to Ayrton Senna. I would like to see him take the opportunity to come up with something that more directly relates to him. Be a nice symbol of moving on to the next stage of his life too, moving away from defining himself by others to defining himself.

I would also like to see a new coloring such as black helmet. But most likely it will not change the color of the helmet. Probably only brand manufacturer, on Schuberth

Edited by maxx7, 13 December 2012 - 12:04.

#742 Nycco

Nycco

• 264 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:23

You guys seem to forget that Hamilton's colour scheme is not only a tribute to Ayrton Senna but it's also the colours of the Grenada national flag, so he's not gonna change for something else.

#743 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:27

Posted Image

Lewis in a Schuberth helmet from 2010 testing, I wonder why he decided to stick with Aria at the time.

#744 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:50

Lewis in a Schuberth helmet from 2010 testing, I wonder why he decided to stick with Aria at the time.

Because it looks incredibly ugly compared to the beautiful Arai.
Posted Image

Edited by Alx09, 13 December 2012 - 12:53.

#745 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:52

Because it looks incredibly ugly compared to the beautiful Arai.

I think we can all agree on that, I wonder if it would feel different when driving with a different brand.

#746 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:44

Because he obviously was special (ie. was very fast, and had been groomed by the team for a decade)?

ok fair enough

#747 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,434 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:48

True but the idea of it being a gift really ought to be balanced with the fact he was Fernando's team mate, which easily could have led to the destruction of his career, had he failed to perform.

I would have to disagree with that...he had nothing to lose...a rookie compared to a 2WDC? he would have been forgiven for underperforming ..

as it was he over performed from the first corner of the first race

#748 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 13:56

Posted Image

#749 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 335 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 14:06

You guys seem to forget that Hamilton's colour scheme is not only a tribute to Ayrton Senna but it's also the colours of the Grenada national flag, so he's not gonna change for something else.

Isn't that coincidental? I read somewhere that Anthony Hamilton actually picked Lewis' helmet colour so he could spot him easier when Lewis was karting and he just stuck with it ever since? I may be wrong though.........

Also, that’s the whole debate, should he ditch the Senna design and possibly create his own unique one?!!

Edited by Smitla321, 13 December 2012 - 14:07.

#750 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 16:21

How can it be classed as a "gift" when he had proven himself through the lower formlae? He was hardly plucked off of the street was he? A company like McLaren wouldn't have offered him the seat if they hadn't already watched him for a considerable amount of time.

it's still a gift

And he still beat the defending 2-WDC in his rookie year.

ok fair enough

I would have to disagree with that...he had nothing to lose...a rookie compared to a 2WDC? he would have been forgiven for underperforming ..

as it was he over performed from the first corner of the first race

You're seriously arguing over semantics?? Ok so I'll rephrase the wording. He was fortunate to go straight into a top team. As Clatter has already highlighted Lewis was due to do a year as test driver and lucked in when JPM walked away. So a fortunate circumstance to go into McLaren and yes he was deserving and talented (which I never argued being a Lewis fan!).. That was quite simply the point I was trying to make

Edited by cooper, 13 December 2012 - 16:24.