* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#151 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:09

No-one pushed him out. Hamilton didn't want to re-sign.

Ron offering him a pay cut less than what Button was being paid?

Advertisement

#152 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,025 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:21

Mercedes have promised nothing; in fact both they and Lewis have been quick to downplay the competitiveness of the car next year, by stating that they don't expect to fight for the championship next year, instead insisting that the focus is more towards 2014 and the big regulation changes.

When Lewis signed there were the usual positive statements, but I agree that expectations for 2013 have been kept under control since then. You get the usual suggestions that a team has abandoned development of its current car to concentrate on the next years car, which we have often heard before. I think the act of signing Lewis, by itself, generated positive publicity which has somehow not been dampened by the abysmal performance of the Mercedes team recently.

#153 speng

speng

• 1,300 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:31

We'd have him back, yes," Whitmarsh told Rachel Brookes. "So let's hope it's just a gap year."

#154 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,730 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 21:39

Ron offering him a pay cut less than what Button was being paid?

..stunk, (if true then) but everyone knows that from that side of the table, the first offer will always be a bit low, and then you negotiate from there.

Edited by race addicted, 23 November 2012 - 21:40.

#155 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 22:45

I was reading today, but forgotten where, that "a source" said Ron made a big mistake in a meeting negotiating with Simon Fuller. No clue what it was, if anything, but I'm tempted to wonder if it involved the "we made him" mindset, possibly extended to "he'd be nothing without us" or even "he has nowhere to go."

#156 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 23:03

It no longer matters what happened during the negotiations this summer. All that matters now for us LH fans is what Merc can produce for next year. Oh, and the small matter of him having a good chance to win his last race for the team this weekend. Go Lewis and let's worry about 2013 in 2013! :clap:

Edit: I'll have a tear in my eye when I see him climb out of a chrome car for the last time on Sunday, no matter where he finishes. I just hope he's patting the side of the car as he parks it in the winner's spot.

Edited by OoxLox, 23 November 2012 - 23:08.

#157 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 23:04

I was reading today, but forgotten where, that "a source" said Ron made a big mistake in a meeting negotiating with Simon Fuller. No clue what it was, if anything, but I'm tempted to wonder if it involved the "we made him" mindset, possibly extended to "he'd be nothing without us" or even "he has nowhere to go."

More inclined to run with this angle. He mustve forgotten Lewis has an excellent relationship with Norbert (who is hungry for success), has had Mercedes' backing as well as Mclarens, has the lure of working with Ross Brawn and a revamped technical department and the chance to go off on his own, spread his wings as his own man all while having less sponsorship committments and the chance to get more money from his own image. Hubris at its finest?

#158 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,604 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 00:00

Feels pretty sad now this weekend has finally come, I worry for both Lewis and McLaren in the next couple of years to be honest. Here's hoping he can go out on a high. One thing's for sure, he'll be racing for himself and the team with no concern for the title race, and rightly so.

#159 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 00:19

Feels pretty sad now this weekend has finally come, I worry for both Lewis and McLaren in the next couple of years to be honest. Here's hoping he can go out on a high. One thing's for sure, he'll be racing for himself and the team with no concern for the title race, and rightly so.

Yeah, it's really starting to sink in that this is the last time I'll see Lewis in a McLaren for quite some time. Very surreal. I'm glad I got to see him race, and win (!!!!) in person last weekend in Austin. A real shame he's leaving, but I'm not worried about him. A driver of Lewis' caliber will always end up in a great car at some point down the road. Whether its with Merc, Williams, Red Bull, back to McLaren or anywhere else, he'll be back. I'm looking forward to seeing how Nico and Lewis fare next season. It helps that I rate Rosberg as a damned fine driver, so he and Lewis will push each other hard, thats for sure. Next year will be fun for different reasons. I go in with no expectation of success, so any podium, front 2 row starting spots etc will be all the sweeter if/when he pulls it off.

Advertisement

#160 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,172 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 00:42

I really feel sad to know we won't see Lewis in McLaren overalls, I really wish best for him. Hopefully, this weeked he will win and finish it on a high. I am sure he will come back to McLaren again. He is McLaren son and always will be. You will be missed a lot Lewis...

#161 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,154 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:24

Part of Lewis's interview with Lee McKenziethat will air tomorrow on the BBC before Quali. Good little piece here. :up:

@andrewbensonf1
Fascinating stuff from @LewisHamilton in a super interview w @LeeMcKenzieF1 about the emotions of last race for McLaren

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/20473468

#162 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,915 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:26

It is really odd that I feel more emotional about Lewis leaving Mclaren this weekend than I do about a colleague of mine leaving the agency this Friday.

#163 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,172 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:40

It is really odd that I feel more emotional about Lewis leaving Mclaren this weekend than I do about a colleague of mine leaving the agency this Friday.

:(

#164 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,600 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:31

I don't think any of those point to RD pushing LH out.

As I have said before, maybe pushed out was the wrong terminology, but they do point to Ron being the reason that Lewis is leaving rather than Whitmarsh.

#165 andysaint

andysaint

• 286 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:30

I have a nagging suspicion that Hamilton could be at McLaren next year and Perez at Mercedes. I might be completely wrong but from the impression I get in the press, McLaren don't want Lewis to leave, Lewis is now struggling to come to terms with it and there has not been a lot of noise from them about Perez joining. I also think back to the time when Jenson backed out of his Willams deal to stay at BAR so it can be done.

#166 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:40

I have a nagging suspicion that Hamilton could be at McLaren next year and Perez at Mercedes. I might be completely wrong but from the impression I get in the press, McLaren don't want Lewis to leave, Lewis is now struggling to come to terms with it and there has not been a lot of noise from them about Perez joining. I also think back to the time when Jenson backed out of his Willams deal to stay at BAR so it can be done.

I think Lewis is really looking forward to joining a new team with a different relationship where he'll be seen as an established star, be listened to, and be without the 'we nurtured him' baggage.

It'll be a more senior role and I think it'll fit him like a glove.

If he leaves bridges behind at McLaren so much the better, but he'd go back there as more senior than he is now, after some time away. In a more Alonso-type role.

#167 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,915 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:50

It'll be a more senior role and I think it'll fit him like a glove.

Exactly. He will get to be involved in shaping the 2013, controlling his own commercial brand and taking a leadership role within the team. Winning in the US doesn't change anything because his championship hopes were crushed by Mclaren along time ago. Lewis has already moved on, the recent good run just let me finish his tenure on a high.

#168 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,730 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:52

Hamilton wants a change of pastures, and he'll thrive in a new environment. If he comes back to McLaren he'll come back even better. He needs a clean sheat of paper before he can or wants to rejoin I think.

#169 Coral

Coral

• 2,829 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:59

No chance. Lewis must have mixed feelings about leaving as he has been at McLaren for a long time but I think he will be fine at Mercedes. This is an exciting new start for him and I think he will be relishing the challenge. I agree he could come back to McLaren one day but I would really love to see Lewis in a Ferrari. :)

#170 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:04

It's good that Lewis switches team, because if he ever comes back, they will hopefully appreciate him more.

#171 10e10

10e10

• 813 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:12

Well done Lewis, tomorrow deliver one more win please, so you can say goodbye in style.

#172 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 575 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:13

Awesome lap. I liked what SPEED had to say about him.
"Over the last few rounds, McLaren wanted to show Lewis what he'd be missing when he went to Mercedes. Instead, he's been showing them."

#173 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:25

Lewis the top qualifier this season :up:

#174 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,730 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:32

Fantastic! Another pole, and Hamilton just wanting to dance away to be weighed! He's been on top form this year, and is the only man to have taken part in every Q3-session this year.

F1's fastest man, Lewis Hamilton.

#175 joshb

joshb

• 3,330 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:33

Congrats on the most poles this season, been the most consistant qualifer and only fair given he was the only one with 20/20 in Q3

#176 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:34

Congrats on the most poles this season, been the most consistant qualifer and only fair given he was the only one with 20/20 in Q3

:up:

#177 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:35

Awesome lap. I liked what SPEED had to say about him.
"Over the last few rounds, McLaren wanted to show Lewis what he'd be missing when he went to Mercedes. Instead, he's been showing them."

F1's fastest man, Lewis Hamilton.

#178 sniper80

sniper80

• 545 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:43

Finally we get to see top Lewis & McLaren again. Too bad it happens too late.

#179 Coral

Coral

• 2,829 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:52

Fantastic job Lewis. The only driver this season to make Q3 at every race and another well-deserved pole. :up: :up: :up:

Now for the win tomorrow! :clap:

Edited by Coral, 24 November 2012 - 17:53.

Advertisement

#180 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 17:57

Posted Image

Thank you Lewis.

Edited by jrg19, 24 November 2012 - 17:57.

#181 Lowest

Lowest

• 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:00

The Boss has spoken:
Question to mr. Ecclestone: who do you think deserves the title the most
Answer: LEWIS!

Congratz 2 Lewis for this amazing Pole :clap:

Edited by Lowest, 24 November 2012 - 18:01.

#182 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,224 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:01

Classy driver, hope he leaves with a win tomorrow - McLarens loss and Mercedes gain, I hope they provide him a car he can get those missing WDC's with

#183 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:18

Since the move was announced LH has been a class act .... on and off the track.... cant ask for more, really.

#184 oligc94

oligc94

• 520 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:25

The Boss has spoken:
Question to mr. Ecclestone: who do you think deserves the title the most
Answer: LEWIS!

Congratz 2 Lewis for this amazing Pole :clap:

When was this?

#185 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:28

I get teared up watching this.

I know it's not news. But man.

#186 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,740 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:30

Lewis has now equalled Mika's 26 poles. As for tomorrow, here's hoping he can end his wet race drought; his wet races seem to have fallen in to two camps; quick but wasted by a mistakes (his or the teams) or bad luck. Something to rival GBR '08 would be a nice sign-off...

#187 Lowest

Lowest

• 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:33

When was this?

BBC Quali pre-show :)

#188 Fox1

Fox1

• 643 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:34

Since the move was announced LH has been a class act .... on and off the track.... cant ask for more, really.

Lewis has made mistakes like any other human being, but he has been a class act for as long as I can remember...and that goes back to karting.

#189 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:44

Lewis has made mistakes like any other human being, but he has been a class act for as long as I can remember...and that goes back to karting.

That's how I feel. Any mistakes he has made are simply human mistakes. People are quick to criticize and the dude is someone we haven't seen before, so people get upset when he is doing things that are strange to them. IE hanging out with hip hop stars. No different than any of the dudes from the past hanging out with rock-n-rollers.

fun fact, Lewis knows how to play the guitar.

http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu

Skip to 8:18

#190 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:48

Top class! I didn't think he'd get pole at this track. It's just been one of those places where he hasn't quite gelled in the past but wow, that was a great qually session. Props to JB for running him so close too.

Right, that's the first part of the Grand Chelem done. Now to lead from lights to flag and get the fastest lap. :cool:

PS: is everyone else starting to find it hitting home now - I mean really hitting home? No more yellow helmet in a chrome car after tomorrow. All I can say is Merc had better produce the goods because this season has really put Lewis right back up there and dispelled any doubts people might have had about him after 2011.

#191 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 18:54

Top class! I didn't think he'd get pole at this track. It's just been one of those places where he hasn't quite gelled in the past but wow, that was a great qually session. Props to JB for running him so close too.

Right, that's the first part of the Grand Chelem done. Now to lead from lights to flag and get the fastest lap. :cool:

PS: is everyone else starting to find it hitting home now - I mean really hitting home? No more yellow helmet in a chrome car after tomorrow. All I can say is Merc had better produce the goods because this season has really put Lewis right back up there and dispelled any doubts people might have had about him after 2011.

If he wins tomorrow it will be really bittersweet. He would be tied for most wins on the season. Of course should have about 8 right now, but hey, who's counting?

#192 oligc94

oligc94

• 520 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:09

Stunning. Makes you appreciate one of the most incredible stories in the history of F1. Just take away the names, and think about how incredible this is:

Aged ten, a young karter tells one of the most successful F1 team principals of all time that he want to drive his cars in the future. Aged 13, he is signed by that team. After winning every single-seater series in which he ever competed, he makes his F1 debut alongside the reigning double-world champion. He comes agonisingly close in his first year, missing out on the championship by one point and technically beating his teammate over the course of the season. The next year, he comes so close to disaster again, but wins the championship for a team that he has been with for a decade. That boy is now third on the all-time McLaren winners list, behind two men who many rank as the two greatest in the history of the sport.

Take away all the rest, and you are left with an extraordinary story.

I hope that Hamilton ends his career at McLaren. There would be a beautiful circularity about his career...

#193 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:24

Stunning. Makes you appreciate one of the most incredible stories in the history of F1. Just take away the names, and think about how incredible this is:

Aged ten, a young karter tells one of the most successful F1 team principals of all time that he want to drive his cars in the future. Aged 13, he is signed by that team. After winning every single-seater series in which he ever competed, he makes his F1 debut alongside the reigning double-world champion. He comes agonisingly close in his first year, missing out on the championship by one point and technically beating his teammate over the course of the season. The next year, he comes so close to disaster again, but wins the championship for a team that he has been with for a decade. That boy is now third on the all-time McLaren winners list, behind two men who many rank as the two greatest in the history of the sport.

Take away all the rest, and you are left with an extraordinary story.

I hope that Hamilton ends his career at McLaren. There would be a beautiful circularity about his career...

Don't even take away the rest. Dude is unapologetically a flawed man. That's good.

Also talk about the sacrifices his family made. His dad worked 3 jobs to let him keep karting. I think he has also inspired a lot of minorities to give racing a go, or at least open the eyes of a lot of folk who would never sit down ad watch a motor-race.

I hope he can deliver a few podiums next year.

#194 oligc94

oligc94

• 520 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:27

Don't even take away the rest. Dude is unapologetically a flawed man. That's good.

Also talk about the sacrifices his family made. His dad worked 3 jobs to let him keep karting. I think he has also inspired a lot of minorities to give racing a go, or at least open the eyes of a lot of folk who would never sit down ad watch a motor-race.

I hope he can deliver a few podiums next year.

I was just trying to show the fact that, even if people don't support him, everyone should be able to appreciate the extraordinary partnership that he and McLaren have had together.

#195 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:32

I was just trying to show the fact that, even if people don't support him, everyone should be able to appreciate the extraordinary partnership that he and McLaren have had together.

Oh, absolutely. Wasn't trying to be harsh on you at all.

I just support him through thick and thin. Even when he does something boneheaded, I kind of get what he is trying to say, even if the delivery was missed. I don't think he has dropped off the front page of planetf1 since the day he came on the scene.

#196 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,730 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:37

Same here actually. When Hamilton starts talking I'm moved.

#197 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:39

Same here actually. When Hamilton starts talking I'm moved.

The team player stuff got to me.

#198 SR388

SR388

• 3,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:41

I gotta say, if someone didn't know anything about F1, they would assume that Lewis had died or something.

#199 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,730 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:43

I gotta say, if someone didn't know anything about F1, they would assume that Lewis had died or something.

That's true! It's a bit theatrical.

Advertisement

#200 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,117 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:46

I'm 99% sure that he'll return to McLaren. The real question is in which year? 2014, 2015 or 2016? Probably 2015 :cat: