* * * - - 17 votes

Lewis Hamilton - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
848 replies to this topic

#351 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:20

Hulk made a poor judgement call, Lewis paid for it, Hulk got the appropriate drive through penalty, season over, move on.

Congratulations to Lewis for a fantastic year of consistently beautiful driving. Now bring on the Mercedes years and let's see where this goes!

Advertisement

#352 Elissa

Elissa

• 234 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:07

What an end of an era...

I came back to F1 in 2007 after spending the previous few years working weekends and struggling to keep up with it (watching highlights is not the same!!). Lewis was like a breath of fresh air and I still can't believe we're now 6 seasons on from Aus 2007. For me Lewis has never driven any better than he has this season, it just wasn't meant to be.

It's not easy being a Hamilton fan, even when he's winning people are lining up to pull him apart; you learn very quickly to have a skin made of metal. It gets tough at times to read the blind hatred aimed at him towards on him on these and other boards. Some of it is Hamilton's owning doing, but the majority is thinly veiled jealousy of a driver the sport would be poorer without. The more the haters attack him and his fans, the more sweet the victory when he wins. Even the most ardent Hammy hater will get a sinking feeling in their stomach when Hamilton is chasing their man down.

I'm sure many wish Lewis was as easy to follow as Button, Di Resta, Rosberg etc. He's made mistakes and said things that can leave you shaking your head in dispair and dread loading up the internet for inevitable storm. He could be a safe, conservative driver such as the aforementioned, but that wouldn't be the Hamilton people love and loathe in equal measure. The expectation on Hamilton's shoulders far outweigh (imo) any other driver in Formula 1 today, it's one of the reasons the press and hater brigade love to jump on him at the slightest thing. Lewis is his own worst enemy out of the car and I doubt that'll ever change, so long as I see P1 on his pitboard the heavily overanalysed misdeamenours are a distraction.

It was a sad shame to see him leave McLaren on a low after cruelly being taken out of the race. The incident I'm sure will be pulled apart for the next months until F1 2013 starts again but the details are insignificant in comparison to the achievement and excitement he's given to the sport. The next years are likely to be tough, I'm sad to see him leave McLaren but people move on (even if it is a gap year!). F1 for me bookmark's periods in my life, I look at each season and it reminds me what when on in the world and in my own life. Oddly enough it won't be the race victories, or qualifying runs that I'll miss the most with Lewis leaving. For me it'll be having the practice sessions on in the back ground while I go about my business at home and looking up occassionally to glimpse the back end of his McLaren speeding out of a corner, rushing out of sight in search of the next corner to assault. I'm sure 2013 will be fine, after the many highs and many many lows of the previous 6 seasons a few bad races with Merc will be a breeze!!

One last word on the haters....they can moan all they like about him, but they can never take away his success and they can never take away from me standing out in the rain for hours to watch his masterclass at Silverstone 2008. I have every confidence he will be successful and some people better starting dieting as all that humble pie is going to hurt!!

Posted Image

Edited by Elissa, 26 November 2012 - 12:09.

#353 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,084 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:34

As a Ham fan it is clear to me that Hulk made an innocent mistake. It happens. It was just gutting to see Lewis lose another win, which may well have been his last for sometime.

Almost every driver had a wobble or spin during the race, it's just unfortunate it happened to Hulk at that moment.

#354 Juggles

Juggles

• 898 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:43

As a Ham fan it is clear to me that Hulk made an innocent mistake. It happens. It was just gutting to see Lewis lose another win, which may well have been his last for sometime.

Almost every driver had a wobble or spin during the race, it's just unfortunate it happened to Hulk at that moment.

Yet somehow entirely predictable given what Hamilton has put up with this season.

Edited by Juggles, 26 November 2012 - 13:43.

#355 pusko

pusko

• 661 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:09

Poor unlucky bastard...I really feel for him. I kind of started to like him this year. For his driving, for his "relationship" with Fernando which looks pretty close. Best of luck in Mercedes...

#356 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:24

Wasn't Andy Latham supposed to make the last few events?

#357 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,862 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:29

All I was saying was that possibly Hamilton could have accounted for the fact he was driving against Hulk and not Alonso/Vettel and that a slip could happen i.e. not being there to catch a possible accident.

Normally I would buy that argument, but did you not happen to see the dicing earlier between Jenson and Hulk?

Side by side around turn 1 with Jenson on the outside?

#358 akshay380

akshay380

• 566 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:36

I think Lewis and Massa and going well again after 2011 incidents. They were having a good chat during the ferry around the track.

#359 pRy

pRy

• 11,011 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:59

So do we think Lewis has what it takes to go into Mercedes and become the team leader.. to mould the team around him and have them focus on winning him the title? Or will he rely on his pace on the track to do that naturally? Rosberg doesn't strike me as a driver who will roll over easily, not having driven for Mercedes from the beginning and suffered all the pain so far.

Advertisement

#360 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 882 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:11

Canada win
Valencia (the following race) DNF

Hungary win
Spa (the following race) DNF
Italy (the following race) win
Singapore (the following race) DNF

USA win
Brazil (the following race) DNF

Since people assume he won't be winning at Mercedes, that should also mean he'll finish all the races hopefully with a lot of podiums :up:

#361 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,690 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:23

So do we think Lewis has what it takes to go into Mercedes and become the team leader.. to mould the team around him and have them focus on winning him the title?

Not this.

Or will he rely on his pace on the track to do that naturally?

That.

Rosberg doesn't strike me as a driver who will roll over easily, not having driven for Mercedes from the beginning and suffered all the pain so far.

Rosberg is a bit of an unknown tbh.

#362 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:28

Lewis will be in car 10 next season, with Nico 9?

#363 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:34

Lewis will be in car 10 next season, with Nico 9?

Yep.

#364 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:35

Yep.

Looking forward to next season now, Lewis always performs better with even numbers.

An early win will take the pressure off!

#365 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,631 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:36

It's going to be strange seeing him with a different team to say the least..

#366 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:38

Lewis will be back.

You can't keep a good man down, especially one who can drive so amazingly like Lewis. Yeah he's had his moment, but honestly I think he's really matured into his own now. Have never seen him like he is now, something has definitely changed. Whether its personal happiness, or just inner peace, he looks like he's feeling great, and that has definitely showed itself on the track.

Just bring on next year. :up:

#367 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 257 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:39

Not this.

That.

Rosberg is a bit of an unknown tbh.

Absolute rubbish. He definitely has both of those.

#368 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:41

Looking forward to next season now, Lewis always performs better with even numbers.

An early win will take the pressure off!

Same here, even if I still have mixed feelings. I think a new working-environment will do him good, and he'll perform exceptionally. An early win would be great, and perhaps decisive to how quickly he can shed the butterflies in his stomach, 'cause I imagine there will be some.

...I have a strong feeling he'll come back to McLaren though, provided they stay competitive.

#369 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,631 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:43

we will find out next year...and it's not 'absolute rubbish' to think that

#370 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,690 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:44

A compelling argument but I disagree all the same.

I can't see him as team leader per se, but I think he has the pace to inspire the team and, if he can maintain the demeanour that he shown since the announcement, it should have a very similar effect.

#371 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:55

How many of you saw the "Tooned" episode yesterday? I thought that was pretty clever.

As most of you know, I'm not a big Hamilton fan - but I really felt gutted for him getting knocked out like that. He deserved better in his last race for McL.

As to next year, as others have suggested, the pressure will be off - and I'm sure that that being the case he'll likely uncork some amazing performances. The real question is, (for me, anyway) if Mercedes is ever going to improve markedly as the Merc brass would like to believe? Long term performance at Mercedes is going to be the issue for Hamilton - not his performances next year.

#372 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 911 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:27

Lewis is the reason I started to get interested again in f1 after the schumi borefest in the early noughties.

I was at silverstone this year (fp1) and he was the only driver to acknowledge the crowd - he is certainly a breath of fresh air.

Bring on 2013!

#373 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:30

How many of you saw the "Tooned" episode yesterday? I thought that was pretty clever.

As most of you know, I'm not a big Hamilton fan - but I really felt gutted for him getting knocked out like that. He deserved better in his last race for McL.

As to next year, as others have suggested, the pressure will be off - and I'm sure that that being the case he'll likely uncork some amazing performances. The real question is, (for me, anyway) if Mercedes is ever going to improve markedly as the Merc brass would like to believe? Long term performance at Mercedes is going to be the issue for Hamilton - not his performances next year.

Yep, me too

#374 pRy

pRy

• 11,011 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:45

It was brilliantly done. The "Continue Yes/No" prompt and Jenson suggesting Lewis needed to make a decision was genius. They got the facial expression of Lewis spot on at that point too. And a reference to Lewis tweeting when he shouldn't. I like a team that can laugh at their own seriousness.

#375 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso

• 277 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:13

Some interesting comments in this article here towards the end.

http://www.telegraph...s-to-staff.html

The 27 year-old added that he was hoping for a fresh start with Mercedes, with whom he has been granted permission to speak despite his McLaren contract not expiring until the end of the year. “I won’t be doing much technical work with Mercedes,” Hamilton said. “But Martin says I am allowed to talk to people.
“I am going to have the biggest holiday I have had in a long, long time,” he added. “I look forward to having, like, a third of the PR events that I have here. Maybe even a quarter. To having a bit more time in my life to be able to train and prepare. It will be a new car and a new experience and it is going to be interesting.”

At least Lewis seems to be departing McLaren the right way....

#376 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:22

It was brilliantly done. The "Continue Yes/No" prompt and Jenson suggesting Lewis needed to make a decision was genius. They got the facial expression of Lewis spot on at that point too. And a reference to Lewis tweeting when he shouldn't. I like a team that can laugh at their own seriousness.

+1

#377 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,447 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:18

So do we think Lewis has what it takes to go into Mercedes and become the team leader.. to mould the team around him and have them focus on winning him the title? Or will he rely on his pace on the track to do that naturally? Rosberg doesn't strike me as a driver who will roll over easily, not having driven for Mercedes from the beginning and suffered all the pain so far.

I hope he does it through driving skill/pace/whatever you want to call it. It's the way it should be done. Like any job, infact.

#378 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 186 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:19

http://www.dailymail...Ecclestone.html
:eek: :eek: from the Daily Mail of all papers.

refreshingly different perspective (not that i agree with all of it- for instance i did think Sam Michael made a difference first half of the season but now getting the impression he has embraced the Mclaren culture and politics which means that while he may be able to tackle operational problems not so for any structural, PR or management issues)

Really those rabbiting on about he and Mclaren and regret need to understand that he was prepared to leave the sport to escape those shackles- its testament to how good a job he has done in managing his exit that people are left with the impression he regrets leaving or can’t wait to return.

certainly on the point made about him even considering a year out that resonates with how frustrated i felt he was becoming. earlier in the season (way b4 singapur for those of us buying into the “was Ron what done it” latest PR from the usual suspects) when he was being asked about his contract –he did throw away the comment (paraphrase)that who knows if he will be driving next season. a statement certainly consistent with those leanings even if at the time i had thought it was more of a philosophical “who knows what tomorrow will bring” comment .

now? at least he gets to drive an F1 car which he enjoys/ he still gets paid (nothing to sniff at) (and even if there are no race wins or championship to fight for) thinks he will be better appreciated and is all the happier for it!

that is the mindset i believe he signed for Mercedes under.

if that changes in the near future to include the competitive “fight for podium/win” target based on a half decent car then i for one won’t be sniffing at that early Christmas present.

#379 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:18

+2

Advertisement

#380 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:25

In my opinion, I personally don't think Mercedes next season will provide Hamilton with a decent car. It's going to be a real shame and disappointment without Hamilton fighting at the top amongst Vettel and Alonso.

I guess Mclaren may realise what they had now that Lewis is gone?

#381 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,201 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:36

http://www.planetf1....c-Into-Winners-

"Going to Mercedes, I have just got a lot of work to do to help mould them into a winning team and I believe they have the potential. That is why I made the decision. I am going to mould that car to how I like it," he said.

Hamilton isn't often hailed as one of the best when it comes to the technical side of F1 and developing cars, but he believes he is better than people give him credit for.

"I guarantee you that is not the case," he said.

"I don't need to blow smoke up my own a**e. I know what I am capable of, although it won't take a major effect until halfway through next season, although more so with the car for 2014. It just means I have to cram a lot into a short space of time. I don't have a problem with that."

Has this been posted yet? What do you think? Can he do it or is he indeed just blowing smoke up his own a**e? His words not mine.

#382 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:14

This is a whole new challenge, where he will have to build up a common language with new engineers during testing and the first races. I think this, and the whole change of team, feels enormously refreshing to him.

.... http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104623

Edited by race addicted, 27 November 2012 - 20:14.

#383 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:16

McLaren's loss is Mercedes gain. It all evens out at the top.

#384 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:17

Has this been posted yet? What do you think? Can he do it or is he indeed just blowing smoke up his own a**e? His words not mine.

Like he said himself, He is by no means an engineer, but he is not an idiot either. If I had to guess Lewis wants the car to be the following things.

1. reliable, nothing sucks more than loosing a race because your equipment fails (twice in 2012)
2. simple, both in design & in set-up (think predictable steering characteristics)
3. either good acceleration or good top speed no in the middle compromises.

I think just like Alonso, Shumi, & Senna, Hamilton can work around some issues if the engineers will work with him on others.

#385 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 20:20

Somebody with more knowledge than me i said 2013 will be the first car designed by the star studded design team Mercedes have been gathering for a while?

Is this true? If so i expect a decent car, at the moment i only want them to change whatever it is that is making them chew tyres like crazy.

#386 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:07

i only want them to change whatever it is that is making them chew tyres like crazy.

The tyre chewing issue was caused by two things, the suspension, and how the DDRS used earlier in the year interacted with each other. Unfortunately as the season went on they compensated for the tyre eating issue, but the side effect was a slow car.

#387 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:46

Somebody with more knowledge than me i said 2013 will be the first car designed by the star studded design team Mercedes have been gathering for a while?

Is this true? If so i expect a decent car, at the moment i only want them to change whatever it is that is making them chew tyres like crazy.

I'd expect it to have a different philosophy than the last few years, yeah. Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis and Mike Elliot and their respective departments should churn out something a little better than the previous cars I'd imagine.

#388 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 599 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 00:53

I'd expect it to have a different philosophy than the last few years, yeah. Bob Bell, Aldo Costa, Geoff Willis and Mike Elliot and their respective departments should churn out something a little better than the previous cars I'd imagine.

We should be pretty optimistic. If they produce a car which is at least as good as this year's car was up until monaco, lewis will be able to fight for podiums and perhaps a win.
Then, if we assume that they wont go down another wrong development route caused by ddrs and highly tricky suspension, they'll be able to stay in touch with the other top teams.

#389 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,213 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:14

This is a whole new challenge, where he will have to build up a common language with new engineers during testing and the first races. I think this, and the whole change of team, feels enormously refreshing to him.

.... http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104623

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Obviously there's zero continuity between both parties so things will take time. I'm sure while the Engineers at Merc like & respect Nico, Lewis is on a different level(IMHO) and obviously they're stoked to have him there. To see if beyond winter and into winter testing and the first races how much confidence Lewis can give the team, both Technical & Trackside. Will he "rally" them around himself? Yes Nico & Lewis are friends and I fully expect that relationship to get strained but its business and racing so Lewis must treat him like any other teammate. But what I'm getting at is how well will he excel at getting the team around him and becoming the team leader.
Lots of questions obviously. I truly believe Mercedes is capable of giving him a car that can win some races in 2013. I also think he's capable of dragging that little bit extra out of the car too so who knows. The real question in my mind is how much do they put into 2013 with 2014 right around the corner. If ever there was a Championship Mercedes is one of the favourites to win, it's 2014. That goes beyond just Merc for next year because many will focus on 2014 early.

Anyhow, really looking forward to see what Lewis can do next year. Ferrari/Alonso(notice the order) fan here, but I want to see Lewis not only succeed but do well at Mercedes.

#390 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:44

Lewis is on a different level(IMHO) and obviously they're stoked to have him there.

I agree with you:

and so does does Horner based on his comments about how Hamilton leaving hurts Mclaren & helps Merc.

#391 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:14

so just watched my first tooned (was never going to watch as don't really like that type of stuff). I liked it - but what a waste of the drivers's time. I'm sure that is one thing Lewis won't miss at Mercedes.

#392 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01

Lots of questions obviously. I truly believe Mercedes is capable of giving him a car that can win some races in 2013. I also think he's capable of dragging that little bit extra out of the car too so who knows. The real question in my mind is how much do they put into 2013 with 2014 right around the corner. If ever there was a Championship Mercedes is one of the favourites to win, it's 2014. That goes beyond just Merc for next year because many will focus on 2014 early.

Anyhow, really looking forward to see what Lewis can do next year. Ferrari/Alonso(notice the order) fan here, but I want to see Lewis not only succeed but do well at Mercedes.

Wins in 2013 are certainly possible. Mercedes won a race this year after all, so you would expect Lewis to be able to get a couple.

For 2014, there are so many unknowns. I don't see why people expect the fifth best team this year (fourth last year) to suddenly be the best just because of engines. McLaren will also have the Mercedes engines and Ferrari are also an engine manufacturer. Red Bull don't have the best engines now and will still have Newey in 2014, I believe. Sometimes teams do leap to the front, but it is rarely possible to be so confident about this several a year or two in advance.

Edited by garoidb, 28 November 2012 - 09:01.

#393 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:18

Wait and see folks. One of the worst teams in the entire field for the previous two seasons blew away the competition for the first third of 2009 because they had an aero advantage and a driver capable of making the most of his car. OK I don't think there's a DDD lurking in the new technical regs for anyone to exploit but just because the Mercedes was average this year doesn't mean it'll be average next year. Give Lewis and the Lotus aero guy (who had nothing to do with the 2012 Merc) a year or so and see what happens.

I can predict one thing at least. If the car sucks, then haters will be queuing up to claim it's at least partly Lewis's fault and if it's good and/or developed well through the year they'll be pointing to the back room staff and the multiple TDs and giving zero credit to Lewis. Yawn. And I see the same detractors are still haunting this thread despite him no longer being Button's team mate. Makes you wonder what kind of secret stiffie some have got for Lewis if they need to spend time bashing him in his own thread. :p

#394 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21

I seriously doubt that Lewis will have any influence on the quality of next years car. - really. The whole restructuring of the technical team was made long before he even signed the contract.

Edited by seahawk, 28 November 2012 - 09:22.

#395 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:27

Wait and see folks. One of the worst teams in the entire field for the previous two seasons blew away the competition for the first third of 2009 because they had an aero advantage and a driver capable of making the most of his car. OK I don't think there's a DDD lurking in the new technical regs for anyone to exploit but just because the Mercedes was average this year doesn't mean it'll be average next year. Give Lewis and the Lotus aero guy (who had nothing to do with the 2012 Merc) a year or so and see what happens.

I can predict one thing at least. If the car sucks, then haters will be queuing up to claim it's at least partly Lewis's fault and if it's good and/or developed well through the year they'll be pointing to the back room staff and the multiple TDs and giving zero credit to Lewis. Yawn. And I see the same detractors are still haunting this thread despite him no longer being Button's team mate. Makes you wonder what kind of secret stiffie some have got for Lewis if they need to spend time bashing him in his own thread. :p

If Mercedes do not produce a good car for the next couple of years, the damage to Lewis's career will be his own fault as voluntarily signed with a mid-field team when he could have stayed with a top one. I agree that the actual level of competitiveness, good or bad, won't be down to him apart from any extra pace he might have over Rosberg.

#396 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,003 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32

Would still like to know exactly what went wrong between Hamilton, Whitmarsh, Ron Dennis and McLaren that led to the parting of ways. Prior to the signing of the contract, there were clearly some very bad under-currents among the parties with Whitmarsh making some very uncomfortable statements to the press and Lewis replying with tweet-gate. What went wrong between Lewis and McLaren? What are the rumours out there?

#397 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:41

Wins in 2013 are certainly possible. Mercedes won a race this year after all, so you would expect Lewis to be able to get a couple.

For 2014, there are so many unknowns. I don't see why people expect the fifth best team this year (fourth last year) to suddenly be the best just because of engines. McLaren will also have the Mercedes engines and Ferrari are also an engine manufacturer. Red Bull don't have the best engines now and will still have Newey in 2014, I believe. Sometimes teams do leap to the front, but it is rarely possible to be so confident about this several a year or two in advance.

Because, obviously, you'd know more about the implications of the 2014 regs than pundits themselves... :rolleyes:

#398 oligc94

oligc94

• 520 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:19

http://www.planetf1....c-Into-Winners-

"Going to Mercedes, I have just got a lot of work to do to help mould them into a winning team and I believe they have the potential. That is why I made the decision. I am going to mould that car to how I like it," he said.

Hamilton isn't often hailed as one of the best when it comes to the technical side of F1 and developing cars, but he believes he is better than people give him credit for.

"I guarantee you that is not the case," he said.

"I don't need to blow smoke up my own a**e. I know what I am capable of, although it won't take a major effect until halfway through next season, although more so with the car for 2014. It just means I have to cram a lot into a short space of time. I don't have a problem with that."

I'm not exactly sure why Hamilton is perceived to be less able one the technical side than some others. Perhaps his ability to drive round issues means that he isn't so good at feedback, but I've heard many people say that Schumacher was like this and he is still regarded as having significant technical acumen.

Actually, I seem to remember hearing in one Ted Kravitz's qualifying notebooks that Lewis is in the top two or three most able simulator drivers on the grid. Surely, the fact that the simulator is so important these days means that this is an extremely beneficial attribute?

#399 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:26

I'm not exactly sure why Hamilton is perceived to be less able one the technical side than some others. Perhaps his ability to drive round issues means that he isn't so good at feedback, but I've heard many people say that Schumacher was like this and he is still regarded as having significant technical acumen.

Actually, I seem to remember hearing in one Ted Kravitz's qualifying notebooks that Lewis is in the top two or three most able simulator drivers on the grid. Surely, the fact that the simulator is so important these days means that this is an extremely beneficial attribute?

I don't think Lewis gets enough credit on this side of things and to be honest I think people judge at face value rather than looking at his time in the sport. McLaren have stated on numerous occasions that Lewis is very good at feedback and easier to work with than many of his predecessors in terms of getting his set up right. He may be able to adapt and drive round certain problems but we have also seen the results after a tricky run. credit needs to be given to the driver as well as the team IMO.

Advertisement

#400 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,951 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28

Brawn:
“Michael always knew we were talking to Hamilton and he was always thinking of what is best for the team.

“Michael did not want us to miss out on hiring Lewis,” he said.

Asked in what ways Hamilton will be better than Schumacher, Brawn answered: “We don’t know yet.

“What is clear is that one of his (Hamilton’s) greatest qualities is his sheer speed. Michael is very fast and has an amazing talent. Who else can perform at that level? Clearly, Lewis.

“I’m still not sure what he is going to bring, but – whatever it is – it will be at the same level as Michael,” he added.