Article?

http://www.auto123.c...es?artid=149430

#403 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:50

Article?

Original:

P. Hamilton no es uno de los pilotos más fáciles de manejar. ¿Cómo piensa dominarlo?

R. Todas mis valoraciones sobre Lewis se basan en las reuniones que he tenido con él cara a cara, de todo lo demás no puedo decir nada porque no conozco los detalles. No creo que sea un tipo demasiado complicado, es una persona lógica e inteligente. En este negocio, los pilotos pueden sentirse frustrados, y la relación con ellos debes trabajarla. Hay que aprender a identificar qué necesitan y cómo hay que dárselo, de la misma forma que a veces conviene saber dejarles solos. Seguro que con él será algo distinto, pero no espero encontrarme ningún problema en particular.

Nunca hay que subestimar a Alonso. Disfruta interpretando el papel de cazador
P. ¿Cuándo se dio cuenta de que Schumacher no iba a seguir?

R. Las conversaciones con Lewis y con Michael fueron en paralelo. La primera toma de contacto con Hamilton fue en invierno, porque todos sabíamos que su contrato con McLaren terminaba a final de año, y lo mismo ocurría con Schumacher. Michael siempre supo que estábamos hablando con Hamilton y él decidió retirarse estando al tanto de todo, pensando en qué era lo mejor para el equipo. Michael no quiso que dejáramos perder la oportunidad de contratar a Hamilton.

P. ¿Qué beneficios extra le puede aportar Hamilton respecto a Schumacher?

R. Aún no lo sé. Lo que está claro es que una de sus mayores cualidades es su velocidad pura. Michael es muy rápido y tiene un talento increíble. ¿Quién más puede rendir a ese nivel? Está claro que Lewis, sí. Aún no estoy seguro de qué nos va a aportar, pero sea lo que sea, lo hará al mismo nivel que Michael.

http://deportes.elpa...314_297327.html

#404 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,860 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:07

I'm not exactly sure why Hamilton is perceived to be less able one the technical side than some others.

It's one of those myths by Lewis dissenters who also claim that he cannot maintain tires. The one about his technical prowess will be dispelled by his time at Mercedes.

#405 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:59

It will certainly feel strange not to see Lewis with McLaren. It has been quite some time.

#406 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 855 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:24

so just watched my first tooned (was never going to watch as don't really like that type of stuff). I liked it - but what a waste of the drivers's time. I'm sure that is one thing Lewis won't miss at Mercedes.

To do marketing stuff is part of the job as driver. That won't change. Although i don't really know how much he had to do at McLaren or will have to do at Mercedes.

#407 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,596 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:35

To do marketing stuff is part of the job as driver. That won't change. Although i don't really know how much he had to do at McLaren or will have to do at Mercedes.

He will do much less.
He said he will be required to do a 3rd or a quarter of what he used to do at McLaren.

#408 pRy

pRy

• 10,856 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:40

Some details here:

http://www.telegraph...s-to-staff.html

Lewis allowed to talk to Mercedes already after permission granted from Martin. Not sure if talking to a new team is always allowed prior to 1st Jan but at least it gives him time to start building the relationships in the team. He will do 1/3rd the PR stuff that he does at McLaren, maybe even 1/4th. His crash cost McLaren $12 million in the CC battle.

#409 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 855 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:46

He will do much less.
He said he will be required to do a 3rd or a quarter of what he used to do at McLaren.

The 3rd or a quarter of what he used to do, was for this winter, since he can't do anything at Merc till 1. Jan.
http://www1.skysport...nuary-1st-start

AFAIR he never talked about the modalities of the contracts. So we actually don't know what he has to do after he is officially at Merc, for example for next winter.

EDIT: I could imagine that he had more to do at McLaren, since McLaren is kinda a Marketing heaven and more dependent on sponsors, but i doubt that it will be THAT much less.

Edited by ElDictatore, 28 November 2012 - 13:54.

#410 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:11

Nice to see from Karun Chandhok

Top Drivers:
1. Fernando Alonso - Took the championship fight to the wire in a car that didn't deserve to
2. Lewis Hamilton - Superb all season long and without pit stop dramas, puncture, running out of fuel, late season DNF's would've been a contender
3. Kimi Raikkonnen - Very impressive come back. Showed great pace straight away with fantastic consistency ... plus some comedy!
4. Sebastian Vettel - Seems strange putting the world champion at No.4 but it was clear that the Red Bull was once again the car to have in the second half of the season
5. Nico Hulkenburg - Despite the podiums for Perez and wins for Maldonadoand Rosberg, I thought Hulkenburg did a great job particularly in the second half to establish himself

#411 cooper

cooper

• 388 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:13

Nice to see from Karun Chandhok

Top Drivers:
1. Fernando Alonso - Took the championship fight to the wire in a car that didn't deserve to
2. Lewis Hamilton - Superb all season long and without pit stop dramas, puncture, running out of fuel, late season DNF's would've been a contender
3. Kimi Raikkonnen - Very impressive come back. Showed great pace straight away with fantastic consistency ... plus some comedy!
4. Sebastian Vettel - Seems strange putting the world champion at No.4 but it was clear that the Red Bull was once again the car to have in the second half of the season
5. Nico Hulkenburg - Despite the podiums for Perez and wins for Maldonadoand Rosberg, I thought Hulkenburg did a great job particularly in the second half to establish himself

I suddenly like Karun a little more now

#412 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:13

The 3rd or a quarter of what he used to do, was for this winter, since he can't do anything at Merc till 1. Jan.

AFAIR he never talked about the modalities of the contracts. So we actually don't know what he has to do after he is officially at Merc, for example for next winter.

EDIT: I could imagine that he had more to do at McLaren, since McLaren is kinda a Marketing heaven and more dependent on sponsors, but i doubt that it will be THAT much less.

Ron spoke about the sponsor work load expected of mclaren drivers in a recent interview.

#413 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:40

Because, obviously, you'd know more about the implications of the 2014 regs than pundits themselves... :rolleyes:

Actually, I've been curious about this contention (Mercedes will improve under the new rules...), because, as far as I can see, historically, rules changes have always favoured the strongest teams. There are, of course, exceptions - the Brawn comes to mind - but that was about rules "interpretations" more than "rules changes" - different thing entirely.

I'd be worried about Mercedes... they had a rubbish race yesterday while Force India and McLaren (their 2 customers) were fighting for the lead. Not the way you want to end a season, especially a season in which you once again under performed and finished in the dreaded "5th spot" again..

I never underestimate Ross Brawn - but they've been promising a "step forward" every year - and while they may be getting it, other teams are making the same "steps" or more.

Regardless, I think next year will be great from a fan's perspective - it'll be exciting to see what Lewis can do in the Merc - and I'm betting that he'll be able to pull more out of it than Rosberg or Schumacher have. A win? Not out of the question...

#414 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 722 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:02

If the guy who is a signatory to the contract says he will do a 3rd or even less, who are we to dispute unless we have a copy of the contract? Of course he could be lying but what would be the motivation for him to do so?

I'd be worried about Mercedes... they had a rubbish race yesterday while Force India and McLaren (their 2 customers) were fighting for the lead. Not the way you want to end a season, especially a season in which you once again under performed and finished in the dreaded "5th spot" again..

I never underestimate Ross Brawn - but they've been promising a "step forward" every year - and while they may be getting it, other teams are making the same "steps" or more.

Regardless, I think next year will be great from a fan's perspective - it'll be exciting to see what Lewis can do in the Merc - and I'm betting that he'll be able to pull more out of it than Rosberg or Schumacher have. A win? Not out of the question...

If they hadn't restructured (including hiring Lewis) i wouldn't believe a word they say. But they have and bringing on some guys that have delivered in their previous assignments, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's not forget a win was one of their targets this year and they delivered. I know they missed other targets like finishing farther up the WCC table but that win is still a step forward. Besides, looking at the three top teams, mixing it with RB, Ferrari and McLaren is no mean fit. If they had bagged Monaco, who knows what we would be talking about now. It can be argued that the potential was there which is a good thing. Just trying to look at things positively that's all.

#415 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:21

Wins in 2013 are certainly possible. Mercedes won a race this year after all, so you would expect Lewis to be able to get a couple.

For 2014, there are so many unknowns. I don't see why people expect the fifth best team this year (fourth last year) to suddenly be the best just because of engines. McLaren will also have the Mercedes engines and Ferrari are also an engine manufacturer. Red Bull don't have the best engines now and will still have Newey in 2014, I believe. Sometimes teams do leap to the front, but it is rarely possible to be so confident about this several a year or two in advance.

Because, obviously, you'd know more about the implications of the 2014 regs than pundits themselves... :rolleyes:

What pundits exactly have predicted that Mercedes will be a top team in 2014?

#416 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:29

Sometimes I do not understand Lewis. So he does have to do less PR for the team, but his management just got him the right to have personal sponsors, does he believe that those won´t demand that he will be available for quite a few PR events?

#417 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:32

Actually, I've been curious about this contention (Mercedes will improve under the new rules...), because, as far as I can see, historically, rules changes have always favoured the strongest teams. There are, of course, exceptions - the Brawn comes to mind - but that was about rules "interpretations" more than "rules changes" - different thing entirely.

This is more or less my thinking too. With extra resources, Mercedes may be expected to improve but by how much? Will it translate to an improvement relative to the top teams, and if so, will it be enough to contend for the WDC and/or WCC? These are unknowns (although some seem to think that pundits know the answer).

#418 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:39

For 2014 nobody knows the answer. I would agree that Mercedes has an advantage over McLaren for 2014, as they use the same engine and Mercedes could be in a position to better integrate the engine with the car, but I fail to see how Merc is in a better position than RBR and especially Ferrari.

#419 Absulute

Absulute

• 869 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:39

Sometimes I do not understand Lewis. So he does have to do less PR for the team, but his management just got him the right to have personal sponsors, does he believe that those won´t demand that he will be available for quite a few PR events?

I guess the point is he can pick and choose what personal sponsors he wants. The truth is, Lewis is extremely marketable, and besides, it's not as if he'd be desperate for the cash.

Advertisement

#420 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:47

Come on Man, Mclaren control their drivers more, they want the drivers to be company men, to do things the Mclaren way. At Merc, Lewis doesn't have to deal with this, and he is the one signing and negotiating his sponsorship deals. It's a bad analogy, but Lewis is the kid that's tired of living by mom and dad's rules so he's moving out. He's going to live his live the way he wants to now.

#421 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,795 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:53

You're seeing it the wrong way...
There's a big difference in being forced to go to PR events without any say in the matter vs choosing his own PR events...
This way he can even do less PR events while earning a lot more because he has the ability to decide which ones to take, and there will be plenty available...

Edited by f1fastestlap, 28 November 2012 - 19:59.

#422 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:10

Brawn:
“Michael always knew we were talking to Hamilton and he was always thinking of what is best for the team.

“Michael did not want us to miss out on hiring Lewis,” he said.

Asked in what ways Hamilton will be better than Schumacher, Brawn answered: “We don’t know yet.

“What is clear is that one of his (Hamilton’s) greatest qualities is his sheer speed. Michael is very fast and has an amazing talent. Who else can perform at that level? Clearly, Lewis.

“I’m still not sure what he is going to bring, but – whatever it is – it will be at the same level as Michael,” he added.

Well he couldn't say that Lewis would bring more to the team than Schumacher did out of respect to his former driver

#423 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:16

According to Hamilton maybe as much as 75% less

#424 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 855 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:22

If the guy who is a signatory to the contract says he will do a 3rd or even less, who are we to dispute unless we have a copy of the contract? Of course he could be lying but what would be the motivation for him to do so?

Well he didn't say, he has only 3rd or a quarter of the work at Merc than at McLaren. He said, he had only 3rd or a quarter the work this winter. Which is not a surprise, since he makes a move between teams and isnt allowed to show up at Merc till 1.1.2013.

Edited by ElDictatore, 28 November 2012 - 20:25.

#425 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,479 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:28

I don't think that's what he means, cause surely McLaren will have him to PR-events up untill christmas, as usual.

#426 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 855 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:35

I don't think that's what he means, cause surely McLaren will have him to PR-events up untill christmas, as usual.

Why would they, he's not driving for them next season, and I think MW is sensible enough to "let him go". You can't say for sure, what he meant. But to say that at Merc, he has only 25-33% of the PR-work he had done at McLaren is a bit farfetched to be honest. I mean srsly, Rosberg and Schumacher weren't exactly PR-unfriendly. Plus, as others already have said, Lewis is pretty marketable. And no Team would just crush that potential to get some money in.

#427 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,479 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:50

They'll milk his name as long as they can I'd imagine.
Taking a look at the McLaren, and then the Mercedes afterwards, it's not hard to understand why the PR-workload is much smaller at Mercedes.

#428 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:15

They'll milk his name as long as they can I'd imagine.
Taking a look at the McLaren, and then the Mercedes afterwards, it's not hard to understand why the PR-workload is much smaller at Mercedes.

If, as it seems, they will have MS in an ambassador role then that could lighten any PR load for Lewis. Lauda too is a major figure in F1 history.

#429 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:25

Same here
He'll do less PR for the team but more for his personal sponsors
Probably less organized and more scattered

Don't understand it either really unless he thinks Fullers people will take enough with less :lol:

#430 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:47

Same here
He'll do less PR for the team but more for his personal sponsors
Probably less organized and more scattered

Don't understand it either really unless he thinks Fullers people will take enough with less :lol:

What's not to understand.

One team offers $20million to drive with 200 pr days and no personal sponsors.
The other offers $20million to drive with 50 pr days and personal sponsorship allowed. sign a couple of sponsors at $3million a year to do 20 pr days and you're way ahead of the game and still have more time off.

All numbers hypothetical but you get the point.

Plus Lewis is now and always has been a Merc driver, I have a feeling that McLaren will have another engine in the back before too long.

#431 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:52

LOL stopped reading there when you want to discuss seriously ask me nicely OK :wave:

#432 gincarnated

gincarnated

• 442 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:06

Please god, no one ask him nicely.

#433 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:42

I bet Merc can't wait for the first test.

In the first ten minutes Lewis will go fastest and they'll all be jumping up and down lol.

Then, well I reckon he'll run 3rd/4th pretty often. A win at some point.

#434 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:50

Then, well I reckon he'll run 3rd/4th pretty often. A win at some point.

Yep a dream come true, Seb Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button will be so envious ;)

#435 Balths

Balths

• 136 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 00:05

Yep a dream come true, Seb Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button will be so envious ;)

You're boring. Who is Button to Hamilton? :well:

#436 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 00:08

So, Will we have to wait until the new year for the first pics/appearance of Lewis with Merc clothing? Not even an official visit to the factory?

#437 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:38

I agree. There's no doubt that it was Hulks fault, but I was surprised Hamilton didn't give him more space and maybe even tuck in behind him given that it was wet and he was driving against someone not used to being at the front.

he did give him more than enough space....try spinning it again,am sure you could do better.

#438 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:01

So, Will we have to wait until the new year for the first pics/appearance of Lewis with Merc clothing? Not even an official visit to the factory?

I guess that will be the case, I'm sure Merc will be desperate to start utilising Lewis as soon as they can.

#439 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,860 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 14:17

Probably. Lewis barely even mentioned the name Mercedes in interviews. Don't forget that Mclaren are still promoting him on the website and selling his Merchandise throughout the Christmas season. They might let him start his new job before the end of the year but under the low, kind of how Sam Michael did when he left Williams last season.

Advertisement

#440 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 15:27

He's under contract until 2013. ;)

#441 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 17:00

What's not to understand.

The other offers $20million to drive with 50 pr days and personal sponsorship allowed. sign a couple of sponsors at $3million a year to do 20 pr days and you're way ahead of the game and still have more time off.

All numbers hypothetical but you get the point.

Plus Lewis is now and always has been a Merc driver, I have a feeling that McLaren will have another engine in the back before too long.

This is the thing that most people seem not to get .... he may even finish his career in DTM one day :p

#442 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:31

If this doesn't clear Hamilton of any wrongdoing in Brazil.... I don't know what will.

Go to c. 10m45s

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=65P9s0YnEb8

Edited by slmk, 30 November 2012 - 14:32.

#443 P123

P123

• 8,140 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:42

If this doesn't clear Hamilton of any wrongdoing in Brazil.... I don't know what will.

Go to c. 10m45s

Nice video, but I don't think there was ever a question of Hamilton doing anything wrong, except from the imaginitive usual suspects. The Hulk's spin was a mere few degrees old when he struck Hamilton's front wheel.

#444 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:54

2008?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hair transplant?

#445 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:25

Nothing wrong with that,if you're losing it you have to replace it

#446 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:38

Nothing wrong with that,if you're losing it you have to replace it

I know there's nothing wrong, I sympathize with the matter too :D
Just wondering.

#447 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,711 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:29

I just wanted to thank Lewis for jumping to Mercedes. It was getting a little stagnant at the front of the grid with the top 3 teams keeping both drivers for 3 years now.

Thanks Lewis for some freshness on the grid next year! :cool:

#448 MP422

MP422

• 1,743 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:42

Go to c. 10m45s

Why did you have to remind me. I think he had that one in the bag. Hulkenberg bozo'd up a great drive. Massa still driver of the day for me... lol

#449 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 470 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:12

Go to c. 10m45s

I've just thrown another round of curse words at that **** **** ***** ****** ********* of Hulkenberg. The onboard shows so clearly how much of an innocent passenger Lewis was. **** ** * ****** **** !!!

#450 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:32

I think the Hulk accident sheds a little light on Hamilton in the last three years.

Hulk is better than Perez: more aggressive, more mature, and I'd say faster. But nowhere near as good as Lewis who I don't think has ever make a mistake like that.

But McLaren chose Perez. Why? He's the Jenson-friendly option.