Kimi Raikkonen - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
956 replies to this topic

#651 Menace

Menace

• 12,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:02

http://www.renaultsp...c_id=RSEN1112S2

Kimi's life is tough! The exhaust note on the Alpine concept is amazing!

Thanks for sharing! :up:

Advertisement

#652 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:00

Car number 7 for Kimi in 2013 - Autosport

Kimi has the lucky number ... :clap:

7 Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus F1 Team Lotus-Renault
8 tba - Lotus F1 Team Lotus-Renault

Also, Skysport season review on KIMI from the F1 show

http://www.dailymoti...xvj15t_123_auto

P.S it's nice to see Ted Kravitz is a big kimi fan believing he'll win the WDC, even we didn't bet that far.

Edited by eronrules, 03 December 2012 - 22:23.

#653 Zava

Zava

• 5,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:02

you mean the cursed number, right? :(

#654 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:08

you mean the cursed number, right? :(

why??? :confused:

in any other drivers case, it'd have mattered maybe psychologically, but for kimi ... it's just a number, he wouldn't have mind 13 :p

Edited by eronrules, 03 December 2012 - 22:09.

#655 Zava

Zava

• 5,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:23

why??? :confused:

in any other drivers case, it'd have mattered maybe psychologically, but for kimi ... it's just a number, he wouldn't have mind 13 :p

I can't remember a year recently when the no7 had a good year. :p
2012-Schumi
2011-Schumi
2010-Massa
2009-Alonso
2008-Rosberg
2007-Button
2006-Ralf
2005-Webber
do we need to go deeper? :D

#656 bbobeckyj

bbobeckyj

• 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:37

2012-Schumi
2011-Schumi
2010-Massa
2009-Alonso
2008-Rosberg
2007-Button
2006-Ralf
2005-Webber

http://statsf1.com/e...ire/nombre.aspx

http://statsf1.com/e...detail.aspx?n=7

Edited by bbobeckyj, 03 December 2012 - 22:38.

#657 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 276 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:49

So the last win of a guy starting '7th' was Jarno Trulli?- please correct me if I misinterpret the statistic -

I don´t know, at first I was like 'meeh, 7, Renault and Alonso times' and then again. 07 Räikkönen clinched the WDC and some guys pretend to like this number too
:smoking:

#658 string158

string158

• 228 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:30

Also, Skysport season review on KIMI from the F1 show

http://www.dailymoti...xvj15t_123_auto

P.S it's nice to see Ted Kravitz is a big kimi fan believing he'll win the WDC, even we didn't bet that far.

Nice analysis of Kimi avoiding Vettel at the start at Brazil. I thought that looked close on TV but they didnt really talk about it

#659 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:22

Nice analysis of Kimi avoiding Vettel at the start at Brazil. I thought that looked close on TV but they didnt really talk about it

It would have been a hard impact definitely ending Vettels race if not for Kimi's quick thinking. Also, on helping Vettel's championship another race they should have mentioned was Abu Dhabi. Kimi holding off Alonso to take the win kept those seven points out of Alonso's total, more than enough to win the wdc.

Advertisement

#660 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:43

So not a single world championship. In fact, hardly any success with the number since the 80s.

But I'm not superstitious so to me this means nothing.

#661 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:44

2012-Schumi
2011-Schumi
2010-Massa
2009-Alonso
2008-Rosberg
2007-Button
2006-Ralf
2005-Webber

the number 7 has certainly been significant for one other driver. i refer you to this amazing thread:
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=178162

#662 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32

For Kimi its just where you park the car in the pit lane.

#663 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31

http://www.renaultsp...c_id=RSEN1112S2

Kimi's life is tough! The exhaust note on the Alpine concept is amazing!

Thanx for sharing indeed! :up: :up:

#664 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,768 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:45

Thanx for sharing indeed! :up: :up:

Sounded just wonderful. Hopefully the production model will be having at least a little bit of that.

Did you notice how rude and unwelcoming Kimi was - sulking and not talking to people...NOT. I can only think that the peeps at the technical center definitely got their times worth - Kimi seemed to appreciate the people a lot and let it show as well.

#665 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:49

in case kimi doesn't show up in istanbul to collect his 3rd place trophy, kimiraikkonenspace.com has made a back up press release image with quotes. enjoy ...

Posted Image

just wondering, how many of you visit this site or are there any moderators here in kimi's thread cause they always do bang up job regarding kimi related stuff. :up:

Edited by eronrules, 04 December 2012 - 12:54.

#666 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 90 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50

He seem to be enjoying himself!

#667 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:14

"Kimi Raikkonen optimistic he and Lotus can be even stronger in 2013"

"I think definitely it is easier now than it was in the beginning of the year, and it should be easier again next year, We scored a lot of points but we know if we could have started the year stronger then probably we would still have been in the championship.

I know the team next year, I know the business, so it should be an easier start for us.

Hopefully we can build it up for next year. I always said this team is a bit different from the others I have raced before. It is all about the racing and less the politics, and it is a good place to be."

A positive outlook it seems :)

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104721

Edited by swerved, 04 December 2012 - 14:15.

#668 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49

Posted Image

2001 video

#669 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:58

Posted Image

2001 video

:up:

2001: heidfeld scores podium, kimi a rookie
2011: heidfeld is thrown out of Team Lotus
2012: kimi wins for team Lotus and is team leader

10 years makes the difference. now i wonder, how much Hakkinen played a role in convincing mclaren for Raikkonen to be his replacement, because it was damn bold for mclaren to take in an yet unproven Kimi into a title winning team. sure now a days, with so many feeder series and stuff, judging a driver is easier than early 2000s, and in perez's case, he had 2 years at sauber, so he's semi-proven.

#670 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:30

Kimi Raikkonen says he’s happy at Lotus as they are less political than his previous teams.

http://www.f1fanatic...ic-roundup-512/

“I always said that this is a bit of a different team to the others that I raced for before. It’s all about racing and less about politics and I think that’s a good thing for the whole team.”

Raikkonen enjoying lack of 'politics' at Lotus.
http://en.espnf1.com...html?CMP=chrome

#671 Dsilence

Dsilence

• 1,658 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:51

Didn't see this here yet, selected quotes of Kimi from season 2012:
http://www.f1zone.ne...-of-kimi/17097/

Edited by Dsilence, 05 December 2012 - 14:10.

#672 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 90 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 13:32

“I’m not the type of a person who is scared of something. If something is going to happen, it’s meant to be that way.”

He is a great philosopher.

#673 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:00

“I’m not the type of a person who is scared of something. If something is going to happen, it’s meant to be that way.”

He is a great philosopher.

atleast better than alonso's samurai/gladiator philosophy quotes :p

#674 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:04

atleast better than alonso's samurai/gladiator philosophy quotes :p

Be that as it may, let's not drag Alonso here.

#675 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:05

Be that as it may, let's not drag Alonso here.

I was having a shit :smoking:

#676 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:14

speaking of philosopher, here's Kimi's interview in 2001 after Australian GP, which believed to be his first time interviewed by a major press (Autosport). Good read indeed, so would like to share with you :) http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/13361

After all the fuss over his apparent lack of qualifications, Kimi Raikkonen breezed into Formula 1 in Melbourne and looked like he'd been there for years. Cool, calm and collected, he adapted with ease to his first trip outside Europe and, incredibly, his first ever visit to a Grand Prix. On a weekend when many more experienced drivers made mistakes he didn't put a foot wrong, and his unflustered drive to seventh was rewarded with a point when Olivier Panis was penalised. Peter Sauber hired Raikkonen because he felt his potential was limitless, while other candidates had reached their limits, and it will be fascinating to see how he develops as the year goes on. Adam Cooper spoke to the Finn about his impressive debut… and outside toilets!

Q: Is it true that you've never been to a Grand Prix before?

"That's true. It's the first time."

Q: Wasn't that a strange feeling – your first GP and you're actually driving in it?

"I don't know. I think it's just one more race for me. Of course it's a much bigger race than I am used to, but otherwise it's pretty similar."

Q: What were you thinking when you first went out there on Friday morning – was it something special?

"Not really. It's similar to testing when you go onto a new circuit. You just need to learn the circuit and do your best."

Q: But the big difference is that there are a lot more people and more press and TV…

"Yeah that's true, but it doesn't make any difference in driving because you're not looking at the people when you're driving or when you are in the car."

Q: Has it been easier than you expected?

"Not really. It's pretty much what I expected. If you want to be top, it's always hard."

Q: Was getting the four good runs in during qualifying the biggest problem you had to face?

"Of course that was difficult. I didn't have much practice in qualifying, set-ups and stuff like that."

Q: How was your first start?

"Not particularly good! I just kept wheelspinning, but next time will be better."

Q: What were the first couple of corners like?

"It was a bit messy for me, because I lost quite a lot of places. But then after a couple of corners I got some back, so it was not too bad."

Q: Did you get stuck behind anyone?

"Yes, at the beginning of the race I was stuck behind people, which was a bit bad, but then I overtook two or three cars and it was good."

Q: So who did you pass?

"(Jean) Alesi and Jenson (Button) and then I think (Giancarlo) Fisichella. It wasn't too bad!"

Q: How was your first pit stop?

"It was OK. I think it went pretty well."

Q: What did you think when you saw the pit signals going '9-8-7…'?

"I didn't feel any different. I was just pushing harder all the time."

Q: Do you think you've proved something?

"I think I've proved something to other people who were thinking I shouldn't be here. I proved to them that I'm not in the wrong place and I can just do my best all the time."

Q: Is the pressure off a bit now?

"I don't really know…"

Q: And the car was good?

"The car was good, only a little bit of understeer after the pit stop, and that's why I lost a bit of time to the Jordan. Then it started to get better again."

Q: What are your hopes for this year?

"I hope to get more points this year, and just do my best and then we'll see how it's going."

Q: Will it be tougher when other people get more reliable?

"It will be, but I think we have the speed to finish in the points. It's just a matter of experience and getting everything right."

Q: What's your team mate like?

"He's a nice guy. I think we can work together really well."

Q: Why are there so many good drivers from Finland?

"I don't know! Everyone's asking the same question. It must be in the blood…"

Q: Is true that you had an outside loo when you were growing up?

"Yes, that's true! It was normal for me."

Q: And your parents decided to spend money on your karting rather than remodel the house?

"Yes, we decided to do that. It wasn't a bad option. Everything started from my parents, and it's got bigger and bigger…"

#677 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:28

speaking of philosopher, here's Kimi's interview in 2001 after Australian GP, which believed to be his first time interviewed by a major press (Autosport). Good read indeed, so would like to share with you :) http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/13361

After all the fuss over his apparent lack of qualifications, Kimi Raikkonen breezed into Formula 1 in Melbourne and looked like he'd been there for years. Cool, calm and collected, he adapted with ease to his first trip outside Europe and, incredibly, his first ever visit to a Grand Prix. On a weekend when many more experienced drivers made mistakes he didn't put a foot wrong, and his unflustered drive to seventh was rewarded with a point when Olivier Panis was penalised. Peter Sauber hired Raikkonen because he felt his potential was limitless, while other candidates had reached their limits, and it will be fascinating to see how he develops as the year goes on. Adam Cooper spoke to the Finn about his impressive debut… and outside toilets!

Q: Is it true that you've never been to a Grand Prix before?

"That's true. It's the first time."

Q: Wasn't that a strange feeling – your first GP and you're actually driving in it?

"I don't know. I think it's just one more race for me. Of course it's a much bigger race than I am used to, but otherwise it's pretty similar."

Q: What were you thinking when you first went out there on Friday morning – was it something special?

"Not really. It's similar to testing when you go onto a new circuit. You just need to learn the circuit and do your best."

Q: But the big difference is that there are a lot more people and more press and TV…

"Yeah that's true, but it doesn't make any difference in driving because you're not looking at the people when you're driving or when you are in the car."

"Not really. It's pretty much what I expected. If you want to be top, it's always hard."

Q: Was getting the four good runs in during qualifying the biggest problem you had to face?

"Of course that was difficult. I didn't have much practice in qualifying, set-ups and stuff like that."

Q: How was your first start?

"Not particularly good! I just kept wheelspinning, but next time will be better."

Q: What were the first couple of corners like?

"It was a bit messy for me, because I lost quite a lot of places. But then after a couple of corners I got some back, so it was not too bad."

Q: Did you get stuck behind anyone?

"Yes, at the beginning of the race I was stuck behind people, which was a bit bad, but then I overtook two or three cars and it was good."

Q: So who did you pass?

"(Jean) Alesi and Jenson (Button) and then I think (Giancarlo) Fisichella. It wasn't too bad!"

Q: How was your first pit stop?

"It was OK. I think it went pretty well."

Q: What did you think when you saw the pit signals going '9-8-7…'?

"I didn't feel any different. I was just pushing harder all the time."

Q: Do you think you've proved something?

"I think I've proved something to other people who were thinking I shouldn't be here. I proved to them that I'm not in the wrong place and I can just do my best all the time."

Q: Is the pressure off a bit now?

"I don't really know…"

Q: And the car was good?

"The car was good, only a little bit of understeer after the pit stop, and that's why I lost a bit of time to the Jordan. Then it started to get better again."

Q: What are your hopes for this year?

"I hope to get more points this year, and just do my best and then we'll see how it's going."

Q: Will it be tougher when other people get more reliable?

"It will be, but I think we have the speed to finish in the points. It's just a matter of experience and getting everything right."

Q: What's your team mate like?

"He's a nice guy. I think we can work together really well."

Q: Why are there so many good drivers from Finland?

"I don't know! Everyone's asking the same question. It must be in the blood…"

Q: Is true that you had an outside loo when you were growing up?

"Yes, that's true! It was normal for me."

Q: And your parents decided to spend money on your karting rather than remodel the house?

"Yes, we decided to do that. It wasn't a bad option. Everything started from my parents, and it's got bigger and bigger…"

Good find, and an interesting read, Thanks for posting it :)

Can't help but wonder, perhaps he might have said to Brundle "I was having a shit,

and it was nice to be doing so in the warm"

#678 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,074 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:42

"The team did not need to tie me up and blackmail me with a photo album, unlike certain other contracts you may have seen me sign recently. That was not necessary on this occasion” on his 2013 contract. -

Quite subtil humour. :clap:

#679 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 14:56

Can't help but wonder, perhaps he might have said to Brundle "I was having a shit,

Haha, that's a good one :lol:

Advertisement

#680 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 15:38

Thanks for posting that interview, nectar. Lot of those answers seem like he spoke them today. Same non-chalant atttitude considering that it was his first race, and 'we will do our best, and see what happens'. Wheelspinning at the start of his first race. This is from the guy who would go on to become one of the best starters due to his natural reflexes and senses. But he was sure it would be better next time. :p

#681 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,044 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 20:28

Posted Image

sorry, if it was posted before...

#682 motorhead

motorhead

• 937 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:01

It feels almost like from rags to riches -story. The parents didn´t have no money but they believed that Kimi can make it oneday - and he sure did.

#683 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:49

Thanks, nectar, for finding a nice interview with young Kimi :up:

Liked especially following question and Kimi's answer:

He was a vise, philosophical young man already then :)

Edited by rijole1, 05 December 2012 - 22:50.

#684 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 00:33

some off-seaon time-muncher :wave:

Rating Kimi Raikkonen’s technical ability - F1zone.net

Rating Kimi Raikkonen’s technical ability

Button is quoted by Autosport as saying,
“From what I’ve heard from the engineers at McLaren, he knows what he’s doing in terms of engineering and setting up the car.”

Adrian Newey, designer of the championship-winning Red Bull RB6 and RB7,

had this to say about Raikkonen while they were both at McLaren: “Kimi and Mika [Hakkinen] have a similar way of reporting on a car’s behaviour. It’s economical in terms of vocabulary — they don’t waste words, let’s put it that way! — but the words they do use are very accurate. If Kimi makes a comment about the car, it’s worth taking notice of that comment, just as it was with Mika.”

BBC’s pitlane reporter, Ted Kravitz revealed that long after Raikkonen had left McLaren,

“McLaren engineers still talk with wonder about Raikkonen’s consistent lap times. He was so good, they say, because he would come back to the pits, say what was wrong, they would fix it and he would go out and go faster. Simple.”

former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn,

currently the team principal of Mercedes GP, said, “I was particularly pleased for Kimi because he struggled a little at the beginning to adapt to the new team, car and particularly the Bridgestone tyre characteristics. What impressed me was that he worked with his engineers, understood the issues, got on top of the situation and, importantly and in the style of Michael, he did it in a quiet way within the privacy of the team.”

Chris Dyer, Raikkonen’s championship winning race engineer at Ferrari, has said in the past, “He gives a very clear feeling of what the car is doing and he seems very sensitive to changes we make to the car so really you can’t ask for more than that.”

Raikkonen displayed some stunning performances in the latter half of the 2009 season after Ferrari halted development on the F60 to focus on the 2010 car.

According to F1 journalist James Allen,

“His performances from July onwards in a car which Ferrari had stopped developing, were astonishing. Even the Ferrari engineers don’t fully understand how he managed to get some of the podiums he did based on the performance of his car, compared to the opposition.”

Autosport editor Jonathan Noble also reported,

“One team insider suggested that, looking at the data, Raikkonen has once again been doing things in the cockpit of a very difficult car that they can hardly believe. He is going beyond what, theoretically, the F60 would be capable of in normal hands as though the Finn’s last great act of defiance is to prove to his former bosses that they were wrong.”

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh

has long been a big proponent of Raikkonen, having worked with the Finn at McLaren for five years from 2002-2006.

Whitmarsh tried to sign Raikkonen after he left Ferrari in 2009, saying, “He is not political, he is absolutely straightforward – what you see is what you get with Kimi – and on top of that everyone knows that he is a winning driver. I think he has been underestimated technically.”

In an interview earlier this year with German website Motorsport-total.com, Whitmarsh also said, “I am a Kimi fan and I have never made a secret of it. I think he is an underrated driver – not underrated in that sense because everyone knows how fast he is, but I think people don’t realize how smart he is and how good the technical feedback he can give to a team.”

#685 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52

Interesting; and Ferrari say they fired Kimi because he wasn't a development driver.

#686 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:02

Hi everybody, Nicole translated Heikki Kulta's Q&A with Kimi... you can read the Q&A here

Some snippets:

It took it's own time to get Kimi Räikkönen's interview in the season's final race and it took even more time to get this blog published. Because questions came both in Finnish and in English from all over the world, I aim to take both equally in consideration.

There were lots of good questions. A bunch of good ones remained unasked due to the limited time I had at my disposal - which was doubled in the end - during the qualification-evening. Kimi clearly fired up over some different questions.

The season is over but the new one begins before one has properly recovered from this one. I hope that each and everyone finds something they like from this Q&A - cluster.

Please comment freely if the answers awaken opinions.

Questions & Answers

Eskelinen asked:
I would be interested to know how much Kimi's own preferences are taken into consideration when designing next year's car? And how much the next car differs from this year's car?... continue reading here

#687 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:29

Translation by Nicole

Fair Räikkönen cherishes his reputation

F1 | Turun Sanomat 00:51

Kimi Räikkönen is known as the fairest wheel-to-wheel fighter in F1-circles. He is very tough in each confrontation, but careful. He very rarely crashes.

How important is the reputation of being a fair driver to Räikkönen himself?

– Well it's always better than having a reputation of crashing in every race, Räikkönen laughs.

Is it any disadvantage to you when the opponent knows that you won't crash?... continue reading here

#688 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:45

Great articles. Kind of a stupid thing to focus on, but we finally got the thing on the childhood accident that supposedly hurt his vocal chords cleared up:

-It indeed did happen, a broken flute actually pierced through his throat!

#689 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 13:59

Posted Image

sorry, if it was posted before...

Nice pic :up:

As per usual some great work from Wolfie & Jinx, loved the Leo Turini stuff:

"1. BEST PILOT.

KIMI. Without a doubt. I mean, from my point of view the judgment must take everything into account. Also expectations of the car that is at your disposal before the season begins and expectations of your preparation. Not that I doubted the blond, however, he came back to the Circus after being away for two years and the extra saliva was that he had a car which had been depressing in 2011. In short, it’s no surprise that Vettel and Alonso were in the trio. But Lotus? After twenty-four months of drinking vodka and hiking upside down on the rally paths?"

He has a great way with words and always an interesting take on things :)

#690 beute

beute

• 1,218 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 14:57

Interesting; and Ferrari say they fired Kimi because he wasn't a development driver.

they actually never did.
that was the press.

Ferrari never really gave a real answer afaik, just that he doesnt fit in the team, be it culturally, spiritually, politically or whatever other non-sense that has no place in F1...

#691 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:00

they actually never did.
that was the press.

Ferrari never really gave a real answer afaik, just that he doesnt fit in the team, be it culturally, spiritually, politically or whatever other non-sense that has no place in F1...

AHEM ....

In fact, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali justified his decision to replace Raikkonen with Alonso by contending that the Spanish driver is ‘better’ at development and motivating the team than the laconic Finn.

“Ferrari needs someone for the team similar to [Michael] Schumacher. [Raikkonen is] very fast, but also very closed. In a car that is capable of winning, he was and is perfect – but if the car needs to be developed and the team fired up, Alonso is better,” Domenicali told German publication Auto Bild.

#692 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:43

they actually never did.
that was the press.

It wasn't just the press and sorry but it's not up to you to say what makes sense or not in F1.

What it matters now is that Ferrari wanted Alonso (and so far they've been title contenders in 2 years out of 3) and that Kimi managed to return to F1 (Lotus seems to be in good shape to be title contenders), I really don't see the point of bringing out anything else regarding the past.

#693 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:44

There is no "Ferrari fired him" as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Santander came and payed his salary along with their Spanish driver's, essentially letting him go do whatever he wanted except draw another salary in F1, while still being the highest paid driver in F1. He had the option of driving in 2010, it just would have been ridiculous to do so since he could (and did) make more money by driving in rally which he had been wanting to do anyway.

#694 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 15:59

There is no "Ferrari fired him" as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Santander came and payed his salary along with their Spanish driver's, essentially letting him go do whatever he wanted except draw another salary in F1, while still being the highest paid driver in F1. He had the option of driving in 2010, it just would have been ridiculous to do so since he could (and did) make more money by driving in rally which he had been wanting to do anyway.

Well,

I do not like to spend too much time to wonder about the past that we cannot change, but while Ferrari did not 'fire' Kimi, there sure wasn't a race seat for him, was there? -- Kimi was not planning to retire from F1. Such a payment, that Santander doled out, has many names, but that does not alter facts.

One does not need to bring Alonso into the debacle re: Kimi's departure from Ferrari, but politics and sponsorship money did play major part -- and it was not all sunshine. That much is clear.

@creepy,

Fact is Alonso is now at Ferrari, but you can be sure that the story will not go away. That does not mean Alonso is the target. He was the lucky dude to have a Spanish bank to back him up, that's all.

#695 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:04

Hi everybody, Nicole translated Heikki Kulta's Q&A with Kimi... you can read the Q&A here

Some snippets:

It took it's own time to get Kimi Räikkönen's interview in the season's final race and it took even more time to get this blog published. Because questions came both in Finnish and in English from all over the world, I aim to take both equally in consideration.

There were lots of good questions. A bunch of good ones remained unasked due to the limited time I had at my disposal - which was doubled in the end - during the qualification-evening. Kimi clearly fired up over some different questions.

The season is over but the new one begins before one has properly recovered from this one. I hope that each and everyone finds something they like from this Q&A - cluster.

Please comment freely if the answers awaken opinions.

Questions & Answers

Eskelinen asked:
I would be interested to know how much Kimi's own preferences are taken into consideration when designing next year's car? And how much the next car differs from this year's car?... continue reading here

Nice to read, though I would have liked him to elaborate a little more. But that's Kimi!

Thanks to hijinx and Nicole.

Edit: Also, I play squash and it's good to know Kimi does too!

Edited by boldhakka, 06 December 2012 - 16:18.

#696 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:20

Thanks guys, I'm just a conduit for Nicole's hard work... it's Nicole hard at it all the way :up:

#697 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:52

AHEM ....

In fact, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali justified his decision to replace Raikkonen with Alonso by contending that the Spanish driver is ‘better’ at development and motivating the team than the laconic Finn.

“Ferrari needs someone for the team similar to [Michael] Schumacher. [Raikkonen is] very fast, but also very closed. In a car that is capable of winning, he was and is perfect – but if the car needs to be developed and the team fired up, Alonso is better,” Domenicali told German publication Auto Bild.

He is right, that's why they stopped developing the car, only then Kimi delivered them a win.

Edited by SpaMaster, 06 December 2012 - 17:53.

#698 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:00

It wasn't just the press and sorry but it's not up to you to say what makes sense or not in F1.

What it matters now is that Ferrari wanted Alonso (and so far they've been title contenders in 2 years out of 3) and that Kimi managed to return to F1 (Lotus seems to be in good shape to be title contenders), I really don't see the point of bringing out anything else regarding the past.

Why? There's lot of past between Ferrari and Kimi Raikkonen. One of the worst back-stabbing episodes. The guy was so upset that he left F1 altogether for two years.

#699 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,235 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:17

btw, talk about alonso and firing up team moral, isn't it boullier that said alonso was the reason the team lost motivation in developing the car post 2008, it seems kimi is good at firing people up in the team ... go Lotus :wave:

Advertisement

#700 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 18:17

Well,

I do not like to spend too much time to wonder about the past that we cannot change, but while Ferrari did not 'fire' Kimi, there sure wasn't a race seat for him, was there?

His contract at Ferrari was through 2010. So of course he had a seat in F1 -- at Ferrari. Santander came along he got offered a contract buyout because they wanted an opening for Alonso but they wanted to keep Massa. It was his choice whether or not he wanted to accept it. These are the facts. There was no anyone getting "fired".