* * * * - 18 votes

Kimi Raikkonen - Part IV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
956 replies to this topic

#751 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:13

Did you just called Juho Hänninen "snob"?
Ehem!

PS. yes, it's Juho Hänninen, also a rally driver

LOL ... no offense ma' lady

it's just thinking of gala term, latvala seems like a butler, perhaps asking what kimi would like (with his pose), hanninen seems like a typical british aristocrat from early 1900 and somewhat bored and kimi looks like a businessman :p

Btw, is it me or kimi is the only one without a white shirt and bowtie ???

Advertisement

#752 Aateli

Aateli

• 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:26

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Fantastic!! Kimi wishes Merry Christmas for all. Now I'm just waiting for some YouTube videos from the FIA gala. :)

Edited by Aateli, 07 December 2012 - 19:27.

#753 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:27

Btw, is it me or kimi is the only one without a white shirt and bowtie ???

Might just be the only one.. The dress code is "black tie" and Kimi obviously didn't care :D

#754 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:33

Hahaha great, Kimi in his "Merry Christmas" video. True hero!

#755 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:36

I'll try to fill in the blanks... technically it did appear like he could have stayed at Ferrari for 2010, but I think he exercised the extension option for 2010 after he could not settle with them (Ferrari/Santander) for leaving at the end of 2008. it was more like a legal maneuvering on his part to gain better negotiation position because he knew it was over with Ferrari by the end of Sept 2008. He fulfilled the auto renewal condition in his original contract (wdc points > ~ 42) by the end of June 08, post French GP, but he did not exercise the option until the renewal deadline ~ mid Sep, as he was negotiating to leave by the end of 2008 (yes, a year earlier than his original contract to give the seat to Fred as soon as he could), provided they paid up. In addition to what you said in your 3rd paragraph, his relationship with LdM went south after he triggered the 2010 extension (because - speculating on amounts -- they could not agree on full 2009 pay + additional year's pay as severance). So, LdM did not want him to trigger the renewal but settle for less than two years pay -- even though it was within Kimi's rights to unilaterally take the option given his WDC point accumulation but they could not agree over $. If you look at Fred's press statements between July-Sep 08 he was referring to September for deciding where he will drive (Renault vs. Ferrari) for 2009, when significance of Sep was only relevant to Kimi's contract. So, LdM, Santander and Fred were waiting to see what Kimi would do by the Sep deadline. After they could not reach an agreement, the whole thing (Ferrari leave) was pushed another year but as a part of his Sep 08 negotiations for driving another year (2009), and not driving in 2010 despite having a recently renewed contract, among other things, he had Ferrari remove restrictions on other sports activities (rallying permission). Time crunch is interesting that everything was shaped by the September date after Fred's signing in Monaco which was a bit surprise to Kimi because he just won the WDC 6 months ago and was leading in WDC points coming out of Turkish GP (May 11 2008).

That also is the point, I think, Ferrari/Santander counteroffer for 2009 departure terms were put on the table. option 1) 2 year full pay (2010+severance) provided he walked away from F1 for 1.5 years. option 2) 1 years pay (2010) + some severance + get the McLaren seat. I think the delta was 17-25M (speculating). LdM was not pleased with any of this and at one point in 2009 he even said he'll be happy if Kimi just shows up for races. I presume that was a part of their PR strategy, keep reiterating his lack of motivation issues for the upcoming Alonso move. After Massa's accident they tried to go easy on anti-Kimi PR. In any event, Kimi did not like the Santander bundle idea (Ferrari leave + Mclaren seat in the same package), so he took option 1. So, contrary to belief, McLaren seat issue was a part of discussions in 2008, but did not surface until the end of 2009, and was a tentative situation for McLaren to facilitate Santander request. If you recall, because option 2 created a "Santander subsidized seat" situation for other teams (other than McLaren), Brawn also showed interest around Button negotiations, for getting Kimi 1/2 price. Robertsons were not amused with Brawn's opportunistic approach...

I think by the end of 2008 he was mentally drained, so he probably said the hell with you and F1 decided to go rallying. In that context, 2009 was a cold war year in Ferrari for both sides, hating each other but still living in the same house. That said, officially, as far as Ferrari or Santander releases none of this stuff took place in 2008 but late 2009, so the whole thing is like a maze. Either way, Kimi's moves, and agreements (end of 2009 leave, rallying so on...) were final by the end of Sept 08, to be announced at various points in 2009. :drunk: As Bernie says, it really is a circus, and (I guess) all F1 followers (us) are the clowns for believing in their PR... given the amount of politics and non-racing background stuff that goes on in secrecy, it is not that surprising that people have difficulty sifting through what is real, what is planted misinformation to paint their version of reality. If you keep saying the same thing 4000 times -- "stick with the message" -- people eventually start believing in it, see it as a fact... here is a James Allen's Nov, 2009 article on the Kimi problem...

Well this the probably the most illuminating post I've read on this forum (with some of Wolfie's in close 2nd).

On the one hand, Kimi's strength of character and general decency are perhaps what I appreciate the most about him. On the other hand, as someone who believes he is the best driver in F1, it drives me a bit nuts that he isn't more outspoken and lets people get away with the things they do because of how they know he won't be one to ever call them out on it.

It's certainly disappointing that noone in the circus has the integrity to come out and simply tell the truth on this though. Certainly many in the press know the real story but are too afraid to rock the boat. So LdM's BS persists to everyone's detriment. Ferrari certainly haven't benefited in any way -- destroy a great guy and brilliant driver's reputation with nothing to show for it but Ferrari's biggest losing streak in ages.

#756 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,869 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:51

Fantastic!! Kimi wishes Merry Christmas for all. Now I'm just waiting for some YouTube videos from the FIA gala. :)

Is Lotus the first team who use him properly for PR? :drunk: I mean, he wasn't suffering there it seems :lol:

#757 fum3s

fum3s

• 470 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 19:54

... no wonder kimi mentions forced to sign contract stuff these days, he must've been referring to those days. ...

No, it's just a reference to the Makia video :)

#758 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:15

:rotfl:

#759 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:28

:lol:

Advertisement

#760 swerved

swerved

• 3,590 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 20:50

Is Lotus the first team who use him properly for PR? :drunk: I mean, he wasn't suffering there it seems :lol:

At least someone within Lotus seems to be on his wavelength :lol:

Remember how it all began ?

Posted Image

I think its a great idea, and certainly shows a side to Kimi we dont see enough of :)

#761 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:43

Kimi’s column: 2012 season review - Source: kimiraikkonen.com

It was the longest ever season I have had in Formula One. We did 20 races and I would say we could have had some better results, but generally taken it was a good year for us.

I’m happy with it, and I think the team is happy with it, as well.

Obviously we would have preferred to get third place in the constructors championship, too. We fought for that almost the whole season, but at the end of the day, the speed to fight with the top three teams was not there in a every single race. So to finish 4th in the constructors championship is what we deserved.

Being third in the drivers championship is not a big deal for me. Obviously, I’m interested only in winning. We won one race and got six other podiums. Its good achievement, but, for sure, there could have been some more.

The Brazilian Grand Prix was one of the toughest races I have ever done. I had to go out in the first few corners to avoid hitting Vettel, so it started badly, then it went worse in the drizzling rain, and I couldnt see anything because of the vizor being wet and steamy. Finally I spun out, but managed to come back with some extra driving behind the barriers.

Well, we finished the race, got one point and ended the season without a single DNF. That shows we had the most reliable car although the last weekend was a real struggle with it, from FP1 to the end of race.

Once again that proved how much a good result depends on having a clean weekend. If you are not able to get enough laps testing in practice, forget the podium! The grid is so competitive that you need all the tenths and hundreds for you, not against you.

Now its time for a holiday.

Its almost Christmas time, so there is not that much waiting to do for the next year and a new season.

The team works hard to get even better results. I know the team now very well, I enjoy working with them and if the new car is competitive again, we should be heading for a better season.

I wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to all my fans. Thanks for the support!

#762 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:51

Lotus F1 Team ‏@Lotus_F1Team

"I don't follow the rules, I just make them"... Spot #Kimi on the #FIAgala picture! #F1 pic.twitter.com/9AMj0zvF

Edited by Diderlo, 07 December 2012 - 21:52.

#763 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:54

BTW, here's a stat to marvel .... Link

Lotus's Kimi Raikkonen spent the most on the super soft (237). Not only did Kimi Raikkonen finish every race in 2012, he also completed the most racing laps: 1,191 (1 short :mad: ). Ironically his Lotus teammates, Romain Grosjean and Jerome D'Ambrosio, registered the fewest (803 and 53 respectively).

Edited by eronrules, 07 December 2012 - 21:55.

#764 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:58

Lotus F1 Team ‏@Lotus_F1Team

"I don't follow the rules, I just make them"... Spot #Kimi on the #FIAgala picture! #F1 pic.twitter.com/9AMj0zvF

i had to spend 5 sec to find him, did he get relegated to the back row because he wasn't wearing white shirt and stupid Bow-tie???? :p

#765 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 573 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:40

they should have made one where he falls asleep while talking :o

#766 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 22:57

Posted Image

coolest man at the Gala, good luck at tomorrows race :up:

Edited by eronrules, 07 December 2012 - 22:57.

#767 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,699 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:21

Fantastic video from Kimi and Lotus! Nice to see him at Gala as well.

#768 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 23:37

Posted Image

coolest man at the Gala, good luck at tomorrows race :up:

yep definitely, the all-black suit really suits him well :love: :love:

the christmas video is really nice, Lotus surely has the best PR out of all teams :up: :up:

#769 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 00:52

Posted Image

#770 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,931 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:33

Merry Christmas From Kimi ...

I suppose most have seen this, but since I missed it, I figured others that don't get to the page everyday might have missed it too: Here ya go, funny stuff:

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=oe73fex_E1Q

Edited by bourbon, 08 December 2012 - 01:33.

#771 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,920 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:16

Lotus PR team is just genius, hands down. I cant recall team with better PR

#772 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:43

kimi's interview in 2009 at his last GP for ferrari in Abu dhabi with english subtitle

kimi being a sportsman laughs out at all the questions ... no bitterness. :p

#773 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:08

Thanks for the video eronrules.
What a great guy! Pure class! :up:

Edited by santababy, 08 December 2012 - 03:09.

#774 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 462 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:43

Video where you see Kimi and Vettel talking. Kimi sitting next to Christian Horner, maybe talking about 2014 already? :p

(at 0:20 you'll see that Kimi-Vettel part)

#775 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:29

an old video from singapore

Kimi Räikkönen in: Who is James Hunt? - youtube

:p :p

#776 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:45

My friend did this, too bad that #EnstoneXmas was over by then. :p
Posted Image

#777 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 576 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:06

Video where you see Kimi and Vettel talking. Kimi sitting next to Christian Horner, maybe talking about 2014 already? :p

Now THAT is interesting... Also bernie´s look, maybe he´s looking at something he already knows about? Then again, would redbull really pair Kimi with Vettel?

#778 destiny

destiny

• 104 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:17

What was Kimi's Bonus amount on top of the $5 mil salary he got

#779 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:20

Does anyone remember this ... from nostalgia vault :love:

youtube - kimi's first win - ITV race highlights - malaysian gp 2003

Edited by eronrules, 08 December 2012 - 11:20.

Advertisement

#780 Topsu

Topsu

• 724 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:23

Hah, Bernie is looking at them too :D

#781 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:26

He was looking hot! :love: Good that he became third! :)

#782 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:10

Does anyone remember this ... from nostalgia vault :love:

youtube - kimi's first win - ITV race highlights - malaysian gp 2003

Read a comment there that is totally crazy of How Mclaren spoilt Kimi's title challenges in the 5 years with them. Crazy they couldn't fix the problem then.... and crazy to think Mclaren are still breaking down from the lead with Hamilton now in 2012. Stupid team overall.

"38% of all Raikkonen's races at McLaren ended in Mechanical failure!"

Out of which, I think it'll be approx 10 races where he went out from race winning lead.... or race winning situations. No to forget the Penalties incurred in Qualifying thanks to engine changes etc.

Edited by BackOnTop, 08 December 2012 - 12:11.

#783 ZZei

ZZei

• 416 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:16

The highlights are up on f1 official website. F1 Gala

#784 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:17

Read a comment there that is totally crazy of How Mclaren spoilt Kimi's title challenges in the 5 years with them. Crazy they couldn't fix the problem then.... and crazy to think Mclaren are still breaking down from the lead with Hamilton now in 2012. Stupid team overall.

"38% of all Raikkonen's races at McLaren ended in Mechanical failure!"

Out of which, I think it'll be approx 10 races where he went out from race winning lead.... or race winning situations. No to forget the Penalties incurred in Qualifying thanks to engine changes etc.

spot on ... i still remember nurburgring 2005, i honestly thought kimi was gonna walk out of the team or atleast punch one or two mclaren engineers or atleast kick whitmarsh in the gonads, they should've pitted him ... :mad:

youtube - Kimi Raikkonen's Suspension Failure - Nurburgring 2005

#785 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:23

The highlights are up on f1 official website. F1 Gala

all the money in the world, and FIA came up with this BS edit. BTW, did they steal the presentation music from Bourne Supremacy OST??? have a listen to this

John Powell - Berlin Foot Chase (The Bourne Supremacy Soundtrack) - youtube

#786 OSX

OSX

• 4,165 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:30

Posted Image

#787 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:23

spot on ... i still remember nurburgring 2005, i honestly thought kimi was gonna walk out of the team or atleast punch one or two mclaren engineers or atleast kick whitmarsh in the gonads, they should've pitted him ... :mad:

:drunk:

"With Kimi only having one mode, that being flat out, his position was clear that he wanted to stay out and to be honest if we’d called him in I don’t think anyone was entirely sure he would have turned up."
Marc Priestley

#788 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,170 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 13:58

"With Kimi only having one mode, that being flat out, his position was clear that he wanted to stay out and to be honest if we’d called him in I don’t think anyone was entirely sure he would have turned up."
Marc Priestley

yeah, i remember that, but what if ... na, forget it, that race cemented him as my no.1 fav driver after hakkinen and i wouldn't change the outcome anyway.

Edited by eronrules, 08 December 2012 - 13:58.

#789 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:01

Marc Priestley

Exactly. Continuing the race without pitting was the exact right thing to do. He was already trailing Alonso by more than 20 points, it was not the time to play safe. He had to take chances to make some points. There was just one lap left and so much gap to make up, 100 times out of 100 you have to take that chance. If you are his race engineer and suggested otherwise, he would not listen to you anyway. McLaren knew he did not like coming in.

Edited by SpaMaster, 08 December 2012 - 14:07.

#790 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 14:07

Posted Image

Posted Image

#791 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:04

It's none of my business, by I have to admit I am curious why his wife seems to never accompany him to things anymore. Maybe Finns are not very envious and maybe he is a very trustworthy person, but it's still hard for me to imagine a wife who is so secure and comfortable that she is relaxed about her husband being alone at these events as a superstar with all these beautiful women talking to him.

Edited by 2ms, 08 December 2012 - 16:05.

#792 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:09

^ She may be very secure and comfortable, or they don't love each other anymore and remain peacefully detached. How does it matter?

#793 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:15

It's none of my business, by I have to admit I am curious why his wife seems to never accompany him to things anymore. Maybe Finns are not very envious and maybe he is a very trustworthy person, but it's still hard for me to imagine a wife who is so secure and comfortable that she is relaxed about her husband being alone at these events as a superstar with all these beautiful women talking to him.

:rotfl: Jenni was recently interviewed saying her horse is a one-woman horse. If I'm perceptive, it means her hubby isn't a one-woman man. After all, Kimi literally always has 780 (female :love: ) horses beneath him while his wife does only have one (male :eek: ) horse underneath her. I think they are likely divorced but dun see any reason why they should announce such private things to the public cos we know just how much Kimi likes his privacy. And I think, unless one of them decides to re-marry, that they will then make a public announcement then. Just my 2 cents

#794 Wander

Wander

• 2,258 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:33

I doubt that, to be honest. Doesn't make sense to keep it secret. Some PR guy of Kimi's was even asked directly if they are getting divorced or something recently and he said no.

But then again, I don't really care.

Edited by Wander, 08 December 2012 - 16:33.

#795 rubbersoul

rubbersoul

• 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:53

Yes their relationship is fine. There is a pairs, which is not important to the statue administered all the world party of the hand in hand. I think that they will give each other the freedom to come and go as they please. Understanding also of the responsibility which such freedom is linked.

Edited by rubbersoul, 08 December 2012 - 16:54.

#796 swerved

swerved

• 3,590 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 19:55

Apparently his wife has been in the paddock this season.

"Mrs Raikkonen a former model and Miss Scandanavia (a region not short of attractive females) has been seen around the paddock on a few occasions this season, distracting viewers, and some drivers we would imagine, from the race day action."

http://www.formula1f.....la 1 FanCast)

#797 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 446 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 22:38

Some drivers wants to only live the F1 life and give a lot of things out to public, while Kimi and some other drivers seems to have a "normal life" which no one knows anything about and the F1-life where they're mainly focusing on driving.

Kimi's way to think is maybe that he's at work in F1 events like the FIA gala and usually you're not bringing wives to work.

Edited by Miggeex, 08 December 2012 - 22:38.

#798 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,931 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 23:58

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FIA AWARDS BANQUET 2012 UP AT F1.COM

http://www.formula1....2/12/14155.html

Kimi gives us a few words, all the champ! :up:

Edited by bourbon, 08 December 2012 - 23:58.

#799 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:09

Apparently his wife has been in the paddock this season.

"Mrs Raikkonen a former model and Miss Scandanavia (a region not short of attractive females) has been seen around the paddock on a few occasions this season, distracting viewers, and some drivers we would imagine, from the race day action."

http://www.formula1f.....la 1 FanCast)

good to know...

Advertisement

#800 Topsu

Topsu

• 724 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:48

Kimi gave an interview in the beginning of this year to Seitsemän Päivää (a Finnish tabloid or whatever you call the trash magazines) about his everyday life, the return and his hopes for the future. He told that they are happy with Jenni and Kimi tries to spend all his spare time with her. He also revealed he would very much want to have a proper family and children soon. He loves children. Kimi doesn't decorate his apartments. That's all I remember.