Photo

Goodbye Michael Schumacher

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:51

It will never be the same without you on the grid.

Thank you for all the exciting moments you gave us every Sunday GP.

You are an F1 legend.

Advertisement

#2 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:52

His comeback drive was brilliant. He was over 40 seconds behind the HRT at one point and a lap down. He then drove back to 7th.

Legend of F1. Thank you for the memories Michael.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 25 November 2012 - 18:53.

#3 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:00

As a life long MS fan I don't regret his comeback not for a moment. His presence on the track was just enough for me.
Bye Michael. And thank you for the joy and high emotions you brought for all those 20 years.

I am sure we'll hear about him. Because he's the kind of person who is always up to something.
Or as our folk saying goes "Шило в торба не стои." - "You can't keep an awl in a bag." in literal translation.

#4 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:01

As a life long MS fan I don't regret his comeback not for a moment. His presence on the track was just enough for me.
Bye Michael. And thank you for the joy and high emotions you brought for all those 20 years.

I am sure we'll hear about him. Because he's the kind of person who is always up to something.
Or as our folk saying goes "Шило в торба не стои." - "You can't keep an awl in a bag." in literal translation.

+1 :up:

Thank everything michael, it was a wounderfull 2 decades.

#5 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:02

This! Just having him there was enough! Thanks for everything Michael, you will be my greatest hero for the rest of my life! :)

#6 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:03

Goodbye sweet prince.

#7 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:09

When it was announced that he is coming back I didn't really like it as I thought that it would be better to give a chance to a rookie or unproven driver.
His first year was a disaster IMO, second was better but still not good enough. This year he did show some glimpses of old himself on track.
Off track I must say I warmed to him quite a bit, enjoyed his interviews and how he handled himself. He was very likeable.

His comeback wasn't a total disaster but was also far away from success and that is in big part thanks to the team and unreliable car.
All in all goodbye Michael but I won't miss you.

To all his fans that would like to jump on my opinion - I wouldn't miss Nico either

#8 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,285 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:13

The last three years have been akin to Brian May doing a farewell tour and being forced to use an Argos Encore strat copy.

It's good he's there, but you just know any hope of recapturing former glory is lost when he's lumbered with such awful equipment. And worse, you know there'll never come a time that can change so you can see one last truly great moment.

Today's result was excellent *considering* the circumstances - But imagination starts wondering how great it might have been if Mercedes could get at least one thing right, be it chassis, aero, or even strategy.

On a selfish note I hope he finds a joy for racing in another series that it's possible to follow either live or delayed coverage.

#9 encircled

encircled

• 901 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:13

Thanks for everything, Michael.

:up:

#10 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:15

Never was a Schumacher fan, but I'm happy he could end his career with a solid drive into the points & some great fights.

#11 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 626 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:18

Goodbye as you go into your retirement, from 3 horrid years, great shame. However your genious and acomplishements are recognized by all, Farewell Champion. Loved your duels with Hakkinen :)

#12 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:20

Farewell my King!

#13 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:22

Could easily of done another year. And didn't deserve the crap cars he was given.

#14 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:23

Goodbye Schumacher. Yet another lustreless retirement.

#15 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:23

Pity he left his balls at home for most of his final 3 years. His failure to defend from Vettel was pretty telling, we weren't treated to a battle like the old Schumacher would bring.

For a moment there I thought he might pull some magic in his final race, but the baton has well and truly passed to another German in a rocket-ship, with a dutiful #2.

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

Never liked him and his retirement is well overdue. He turned me away from several F1 seasons and I can't say I was displeased with his 2010 season. However, no plot is complete without a villain and I will strangely miss his presence on the grid. There's no doubting his place amongst the top drivers.

Even in his diminished second career he was an interesting experiment to determine whether a 40+ could drive at the current level. It took him a season, but he mellowed and proved his speed in the end. Mercedes did him a great disservice this season.

#17 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

I enjoyed him in his comeback, except to spoil it in his come back with his very lame pull aside for Vettel, should be ashamed off himself, definitely doesn't deserve to be on the track with that.

#18 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:25

Thank you Michael for all these years!

F1 will lose a lot with him.

#19 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 610 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:27

Never liked him and his retirement is well overdue. He turned me away from several F1 seasons and I can't say I was displeased with his 2010 season. However, no plot is complete without a villain and I will strangely miss his presence on the grid. There's no doubting his place amongst the top drivers.

Even in his diminished second career he was an interesting experiment to determine whether a 40+ could drive at the current level. It took him a season, but he mellowed and proved his speed in the end. Mercedes did him a great disservice this season.

:up: I like people giving credit where it's due.. Cheers :)

Advertisement

#20 evol88

evol88

• 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:31

He was my childhood hero. For me, his golden period was the mid-late 90s, fighting in that dog of a Ferrari, watching him take the fight to Williams and McLaren every weekend and stick that car in positions it had no business being in, and then finally triumphing in 2000. The 2 races I remember most vividly - Monaco 1997 and Hungary 1998. They were just superb.

#21 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:35

Goodbye Michael. I will miss you an incredible amount and it won't feel the same without you in Australia.

I have wonderful memories from my childhood and I grew up with you as my hero and even in a difficult return you did me and all your fans proud.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do but it would be great to see you around now and again.

Farewell my King.

#22 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 216 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:16

Danke, Schumi!!!

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:34

He is still a lot better than this horrible 2012 Mercedes makes it seem.

#24 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:35

Pity he left his balls at home for most of his final 3 years. His failure to defend from Vettel was pretty telling, we weren't treated to a battle like the old Schumacher would bring.

The old Schumacher would have been battling for the title too. This Schumacher wasn't and he stated on TV he didn't want to interfere with a title fight he wasn't involved with. Plus he is obviously on very good terms with Vettel already and didn't want to be involved in denying him a title by crashing into him trying to defend a position that meant nothing to him.

#25 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:37

Goodbye Michael, thank you for the memories!

Will miss you a lot, F1 won't be the same again. :(

#26 crbassassin

crbassassin

• 441 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:38

Something tells me that this is not his last F1 retirement

#27 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:42

The greatest.

#28 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:43

The old Schumacher would have been battling for the title too. This Schumacher wasn't and he stated on TV he didn't want to interfere with a title fight he wasn't involved with. Plus he is obviously on very good terms with Vettel already and didn't want to be involved in denying him a title by crashing into him trying to defend a position that meant nothing to him.

I don't have a huge problem with today's pass as Vettel was going to get past anyway, but the integrity of the WDC requires that even drivers who are out of the WDC compete for points and positions.

#29 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 415 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:43

Something tells me that this is not his last F1 retirement

What makes you say that?

#30 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:44

Thank you for the memories.

#31 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:52

I don't have a huge problem with today's pass as Vettel was going to get past anyway, but the integrity of the WDC requires that even drivers who are out of the WDC compete for points and positions.

Vettel was champion even with 7th position. And as you say he would pass anyway. If it was Alonso , Michael would let him pass too. He knows how bad is somebody else to decide WDC. Somebody like Bruno.
When we talk about integrity it is RBR team, who let Webber finish 4th. They have integrity, others didn't.

Edited by ivand911, 25 November 2012 - 20:56.

#32 emburmak

emburmak

• 2,417 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:54

An Era has ended but thanks MS!!

Twenty-one years I have watched you from that memorable day in Belgium. I have followed you thru all those years & you have trully made F1 memorable for me. I hoped more from the 2010-12 but the car was a dog. Nevertheless, the ups & downs of 1991-2006 were more than enough! Happy retirement. :wave: :wave: :wave:

#33 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:01

Vettel was champion even with 7th position. And as you say he would pass anyway. If it was Alonso , Michael would let him pass too. He knows how bad is somebody else to decide WDC. Somebody like Bruno.
When we talk about integrity it is RBR team, who let Webber finish 4th. They have integrity, others didn't.

My point is that I disagree with Michael that non-WDC contenders shouldn't fight for position with WDC contenders who are coming through the pack. The race should be just as difficult for the WDC contenders as for everyone else.

However, if someone is much faster than you and will overtake anyway, then it makes sense to do it cleanly and with minimal loss of time.

If Mark Webber's fourth place was costing Seb the WDC, what do you think would have happened? That is a truly bogus point to make.

#34 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:05

Never a fan and I thought I wouldn't care when he left but it did actually make me surprisingly sad. I suppose it's because he's been a near permanent fixture in F1 for such a long time, and so many of my F1 memories are associated with him. I suppose I'll miss him.

#35 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:31

It may not have been all smiles and rainbows, but I'm glad Michael came back for another three years. I've been a huge fan of MS since I was 4-5 (around 1998), and when he first retired I was a little sad that I would never be able to see him race in person. This year I had the opportunity to go to Montreal in June for the race, and one of the biggest reasons for going this year was to see Schumacher, as I didn't know how much longer he would be in F1. To bad the return to the podium was one race too late :) .

To me, the name Michael Schumacher is the first name I think of when somebody says Formula One. Thank you for the good times Michael Schumacher. :up:

#36 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:34

If Mark Webber's fourth place was costing Seb the WDC, what do you think would have happened? That is a truly bogus point to make.

He would make pit stop or retire. Just to free one place for Vettel, this is how the game is played. You know that. But they didn't needed it.

Edited by ivand911, 25 November 2012 - 21:38.

#37 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 3,714 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:39

The greatest but you should never have returned with Ex Honda team. Thank you.

#38 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:46

It may not have been all smiles and rainbows, but I'm glad Michael came back for another three years. I've been a huge fan of MS since I was 4-5 (around 1998), and when he first retired I was a little sad that I would never be able to see him race in person. This year I had the opportunity to go to Montreal in June for the race, and one of the biggest reasons for going this year was to see Schumacher, as I didn't know how much longer he would be in F1. To bad the return to the podium was one race too late :) .

To me, the name Michael Schumacher is the first name I think of when somebody says Formula One. Thank you for the good times Michael Schumacher. :up:

Me too, when I hear he is coming back to replace Massa , I bought tickets for Spa. He didn't come. :lol: Still the race was good.
After that when he really returned I visit 2 times Turkey and one time Silverstone. This year I visit tests in Barcelona(great experience). Now I am happy that I was be able to see him on the track.
Only for moments/opportunities like that his comeback was so worthed. I know that I saw the Greatest Driver in Formula 1 on track, racing.
Thank You Michael.

#39 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:58

Bye Michael,

2002 and 2004 bored the hell out of me and Jerez and Monaco-Parking sucked, but i´ll always remember you for

Spain 91
Spain 92
Belgium 92
Portugal 93
Spain 94
Europe 95
Belgium 95
Spain 96
Italy 96
Monaco 97
Belgium 97
Great Britain 98 :lol:
Hungary 98
Malaysia 99
Europe 2000
Japan 2000

et. al.

Advertisement

#40 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:13

He would make pit stop or retire. Just to free one place for Vettel, this is how the game is played. You know that. But they didn't needed it.

Yes, I know. What does your original comment mean then?

#41 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:28

Good luck to Michael outside of F1. No shame in his comeback, and he managed to connect with fans more than he ever had in his glory days.

#42 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:45

Michael has been a great force in F1, for the good and the bad. To fuss about the latter on his moment of letting the racing be done by the next generation is just silly.

He is, after all, a seven time WDC and has elevated the bar for the youngsters to aim at -- and dream of reaching.

Thanks MS for all the years. Great legacy.

#43 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:48

Great finish to an unrivaled career. Formula One is a poorer place without him.

#44 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:52

Great driver and great career! Many will miss you!

#45 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:28

Am I the only person who still secretly hoped for a Schumacher win before the start of the race? It would have been a lovely parting gift. Bernie arranged one for SFW at Barcelona and I hoped he might arrange one for Schumie here.

Anyone think he'll be back as a pundit on the BBC in 2013? :p

#46 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:32

Though being one of the most ardent critics of Michael Schumacher I thank Schumi deeply for all the years he has offered to the sport.

He is truly one of the most unique drivers and individuals and we will all miss him immensely - for one reason or another.

I wish him all the best for his many endeavors and may he continue enriching the world with his special personality.

#47 Wretched

Wretched

• 85 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:35

I have followed Schumacher since '92 and when he retired in '06 I did too from watching F1.
Upon his return to F1 my interest gained.
Sure his return wasn't as successful as one would hope but you could see the racer in him was still there.
I had hoped for more this year than what Mercedes was able to deliver, the first half of the year was just one bad thing after another.
It could have been more.
All the best Michael and I am sorry you had to retire once again especially under the circumstances.

#48 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:45

Formula one would certainly not of been the same without Michael Schumacher. Let us be honest, there was certainly a mixture of good and bad, but he was undoubtedly talented and one of the top drivers. This year he deserved more than the one podium, it has been a shame that almost everything that could conceivably go wrong with the race happened. Still, he's certainly wasn't to unlucky in his Ferrari years.

Hasta la vista Schumi :wave:

#49 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:51

Goodbye. Today the best ever F1 driver has retired. We all lose. When I saw that flag I thought: no, no, thank YOU, Michael. :up:

#50 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:55

Goodbye Michael and thanks for Hungary 98... probably the best drive I've ever seen.