Photo

Alonso claims that Grosjean and Vettels quali in Japan cost the title

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
188 replies to this topic

#1 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,561 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:35

"The championship was not lost here," said Alonso. "The championship was lost when Grosjean flew over my head or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan.

Seems like sour grapes to me...

source

Edited by motorhead, 26 November 2012 - 14:38.

Advertisement

#2 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:39

"The championship was not lost here," said Alonso. "The championship was lost when Grosjean flew over my head or when Vettel surprisingly only got a reprimand after qualifying in Japan.

Alonso always wants everything in his favour

#3 primus

primus

• 26 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:39

Hahhaa... Alonso is just a pathetic loser! :rotfl: Nothing new here...

#4 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,219 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:42

TRUE!

#5 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:43

Brilliant driver, horrible personality.

#6 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:43

Sour grapes, maybe, but he's speaking the truth. Raikkonen in Japan at the start, Grosjean in Spa, and the lack of a penalty in Japan for Vettel all added up to cost him the title. If he had won, Vettel could rightly say the same thing about some of his retirements. It's the nature of losing to look back and figure out why you lost and what caused it, and for each of them there were many things that were out of their control that cost them points. I don't think it reflects poorly on him for pointing those things out, it's not like he's saying anyone cheated, he's just disappointed.

#7 Dauemannen

Dauemannen

• 59 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:45

The part about Japan qualifying is definitely sour grapes. He still did his best last sector of the weekend IIRC. I can't see him losing more than a few hundredths on it. I've seen much worse blocking than that pass without even a reprimand. (Slicing his tyres on Räikkönen was completely his own fault by the way.) That being said he's right in the sense that he couldn't have done anything more to clinch the championship today, and avoiding any one of his two retirements could have given him the win. But then again, that was not what he said going in to this race.

#8 Zava

Zava

• 7,115 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:45

on the podium he seemed like a man who handled the defeat in a great way, and with that he earned respect, why does he need to act like this now?

#9 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:46

Biggest moaner since who knows when.

#10 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

And there was another 18 races Fernando, what's your excuses in them?

#11 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Can you include a link to the source?

I think it would make sense to look at what both contenders lost this season.

I understand the Grosjean bit, but Japan? The incident was thoroughly investigated by the stewards and considering the pace of the RB, it is far from certain whether Vettel would not have won even without pole. That was the best car setup he had all year.

#12 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:47

Regardless, it's true.

#13 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:48

Well, that's tough sh*t. Massa lost his title when Alonso & co rigged the 2008 Singapore GP.

#14 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:49

Sour grapes, maybe, but he's speaking the truth. Raikkonen in Japan at the start, Grosjean in Spa, and the lack of a penalty in Japan for Vettel all added up to cost him the title. If he had won, Vettel could rightly say the same thing about some of his retirements. It's the nature of losing to look back and figure out why you lost and what caused it, and for each of them there were many things that were out of their control that cost them points. I don't think it reflects poorly on him for pointing those things out, it's not like he's saying anyone cheated, he's just disappointed.

How was the incident inSuzuka kimis fault. If you would blame someone, it should be alonso.

#15 Topsu

Topsu

• 2,998 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:49

Come on, he just lost the damn championship. He has the right to think about the what if situations. But as it has been said, that goes both ways. Vettel would've a lot to speculate as well had he lost. No need to downplay Alonso for this.

#16 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:50

Agree with Alonso.

#17 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:50

Alonso is truly a great driver. But to me he's really hard to like with comments like that.

What if those Red Bull alternators would have functioned normally? Then there wouldn't be any need for even pretending how great this season was for Ferrari, despite not winning the title. Again.

#18 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:51

Sour loser.

#19 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:52

Brilliant driver, horrible personality.

This. Comments like these from Alonso makes yesterdays result even sweeter.

Advertisement

#20 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:53

I feel it all evened itself over the year. Both Vettel and Alonso capitalized on each other's misfortune at different stages.

#21 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:53

Alonso just underperformed in the last 2 races and the last 2 Qualifying he can try to avert attention from that but the sad truth is his teammate was faster then him and more aggressive then him when it was his time to shine.

#22 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:54

Sour grapes, maybe, but he's speaking the truth.

Still a sore loser. Poor sportsmanship. That's all. The season is over. The best driver and team won. He should get over it. He was unbelievably lucky in the first part of the season and a bit unlucky in the second. All in all he just didn't have the pace when he needed it.

#23 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Yeah and he's not talking about the bad luck Vettel and Hamilton had at Valencia that gave him the victory? Or Webber's car failure at Austin so he could gain some more valueable points than he actually deserved? Come on, be a man. He drove fantastic this year, but so did Vettel. Together with Hamilton and Raikkonen they are the best out there, but Vettel is the champion and he deserves it. Except for Hamilton, I think almost everyone had equal luck vs. badluck this year. Hopefully we'll get another great season in 2013!

Edit: typo

Edited by Raikkonen94, 26 November 2012 - 13:56.

#24 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Come on, he just lost the damn championship. He has the right to think about the what if situations. But as it has been said, that goes both ways. Vettel would've a lot to speculate as well had he lost. No need to downplay Alonso for this.

He could show some class. But then he should have some and we all know how's that.

#25 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Well he took unnecessary risk at the start of Japan, he could have claimed his title. That was his only mistake this year. If he would have been a tenth up in Q3, he would have maybe survived but that's another story. Grosjean definitely cost him but reliability bought him some good points.

If he had been flawless, okay, but even Alonso wasn't.

#26 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:56

Alonso just underperformed in the last 2 races and the last 2 Qualifying he can try to avert attention from that but the sad truth is his teammate was faster then him and more aggressive then him when it was his time to shine.

Massa was quicker than Alonso in Korea as well.

#27 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

:facepalm:, same in 2010 when he failed to overtake Petrov it suddenly was about some misfortune earlier in the season - forgetting unluck of other drivers. Good driver but a narcissist and that's why it's difficult to respect Alonso.

Edited by tommi34, 26 November 2012 - 13:57.

#28 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Don't he remember that if Vettel didn't have a failed alternator in Valencia, Vettel would of won?

#29 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

I love how all the haters are so eager to look for everything Alonso says to make a bash fest of it. He was just analysing where he lost the title and he indeed lost the title in those two weekends. He lost more than 40 points to Vettel there and he missed the WDC by 4 points. Vettel might have won in Suzuka anyway but not starting from the front row is always a concern and who knows what would have happened. Anyway loosing some points by these kind of things is always going to happen, it's only when you have a car like the F2012 that you can't afford not a single bad luck moment.

#30 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

This. Comments like these from Alonso makes yesterdays result even sweeter.

:up:

#31 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,799 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:57

His comments after the race in spanish were already ridiculous. Nothing new.

#32 BigBadBless

BigBadBless

• 301 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:58

I don't see why all the hate, he's simply being truthful in the sense that he came into Brazil having an almost unrealistic task in order to win the title. All he means is that he didn't race badly at Brazil, in fact he couldn't have hoped for much better from that race. Therefore it wasn't lost in Brazil, as they didn't lost points relative to their potential there.

#33 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:58

I love how all the haters are so eager to look for everything Alonso says to make a bash fest of it. He was just analysing where he lost the title and he indeed lost the title in those two weekends. He lost more than 40 points to Vettel there and he missed the WDC by 4 points. Vettel might have won in Suzuka anyway but not starting from the front row is always a concern and who knows what would have happened. Anyway loosing some points by these kind of things is always going to happen, it's only when you have a car like the F2012 that you can't afford not a single bad luck moment.

He should also analyze the amount of luck he had going his way that actually put him in contention for the title.

#34 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:59

Ahh common...let's look forward to 2013 now.

#35 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 13:59

Sebastian Vettel referred, in an interview after yesterday's race to some rival teams using "dirty tricks" during the season. What exactly was he referring to? I was shocked by the comment.

#36 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:00

Sebastian Vettel referred, in an interview after yesterday's race to some rival teams using "dirty tricks" during the season. What exactly was he referring to? I was shocked by the comment.

Exactly. Sebastian's no better. Where are the "DIRTY TRICKS"????

#37 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:00

People love to take Alonso's comments the wrong way; for instance, the "racing Newey" comment. He explained clearly that because Webber/Vettel were driving just as well at the beginning of the year as they were at the end, only the results were becoming wins, that he was racing the car's development. You can't argue with that unless you're of the opinion that Vettel wasn't driving as well in the early part of the season.

Likewise with these comments, it's obvious that he's right, he lost a potential haul of points greater than the difference he lost the title with. Had Vettel lost in Brazil, he would point quite rightly to the Valencia DNF as the scapegoat. He would be right. Championships can be decided by any individual incident you choose if the points difference is small enough.

Too much high-horse judgement in this thread.

#38 primus

primus

• 26 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:01

You know there are two things... losing with honour and without one.

#39 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

I like how he looks at every single little thing and tries to see what advantage he can get from it within the rules. That's a rare characteristic, and to be admired IMO.

He's the general you want leading your army.

Advertisement

#40 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Alonso needs to remember that had McLaren not messed up as much as they did, he wouldn't have even had a look in this year. Credit to him for his consistency but bad luck affected more drivers than himself.

#41 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Ha-haa... look at all the Alonso haters coming to kick the man when he is down :):):)

#42 primus

primus

• 26 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:03

Ha-haa... look at all the Alonso haters coming to kick the man when he is down :):):)

I wouldn't kick a man down, but I kick the man down who is still shouting and moaning when down! :kiss:

#43 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,681 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:04

If Alonso had won and Vettel pointed out to the press that he lost the title because of Renault's alternators, would you guys be bashing him for sour grapes too? The man is disappointed, he's merely pointing out moments which did in fact cost him points one way or another. I think every 2nd place driver in the WDC standings since 1950 has pointed out where things went wrong, just ignore him if you find it so offensive that he'd want to talk about what went wrong in his season.

#44 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:05

I wouldn't kick a man down, but I kick the man down who is still shouting and moaning when down! :kiss:

Haha. Yea, stay down or get some more! lol

But seriously. Sour grapes are sour.

#45 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Well, Fernando, you really think that other contenders had everything going as smooth as is could have throughout the season, race after race? Jesus, Alonso is making it very easy not to like him. He gave himself a perfect 10 for his season and pat himself in back and congratuleted himself for being perfect for whole season and said that everyone knows who the best driver was this year... :rolleyes:

I am so glad I am not fan of him, because I would be hard pressed to defend him for talking all that self-loving crab.

Edit: I honestly cant understand how anyone can be fan of this whiner, especially when there are drivers like Kimi, Vettel or even Hamilton around, who can accept the defeat and be gracious when winning.

Edited by yr, 26 November 2012 - 14:09.

#46 fastdriver

fastdriver

• 575 posts

Bashing aside, making such comparisons or "if this hadn't happened" comments is just silly. It implies that misfortunes happened only to him. Meaning if you remove those (his) incidents, everything else would have still played out in the exact same way.
If we remove all misfortunes that occured this year (that were out of the driver's control), Hamilton would have won WDC, not Alonso. :rolleyes:

#47 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

From an egocentric pov he's right. But F1 or the world doesn't revolve around him. Others have lost points too. Lewis Hamilton was much more unlucky this year. You can count his what if's on more then one hand compared to Alonso.
In the end it's all part of the game that you need some luck and have to be at the right places at the right time.

#48 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:06

I like how he looks at every single little thing and tries to see what advantage he can get from it within the rules. That's a rare characteristic, and to be admired IMO.

He's the general you want leading your army.

Sure, if you want to look good while losing. :lol: Samurai code of honor but without the honor.

These specific comments aren't very wrong per se (although you could argue what kind of person wants to win a title by a punishment received by his rival). But in general i don't think there wasn't a weekend when Alonso didn't whine about something. Maybe for next year they should install in his car a direct line to the stewards.

Edited by Diablobb81, 26 November 2012 - 14:07.

#49 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:06

Still there are guys who say "This was the best we managed and we will try again next year" and then there are guys who blame everyone else. He could have said that he didn't have the speed when he needed it.

#50 Junky

Junky

• 810 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 14:07

Brillant driver and always crying in the press. The Prost of modern days.