Photo

Will Alonso ever win another title?

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#101 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:50

Oh yes he will. FIA will hand one for him on a silver platter if not otherwise.

I hope no. Bad man deserves bad karma. :)

+1.
I hope he never wins again as long as he stays at Ferrari! I will never forget how they treated Kimi to hand Fernando "the better development driver" Alonso that seat.
Things got even worse with how they treated Felipe to make that spanish Brat look like Gold or God! :wave:

An Alonso fan talking about poor class... Something strange about that.

This forum is getting worse and worse.

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 06:57.

Advertisement

#102 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:52

There will come one day when Ferrari builds the best car of them all. That's when Alonso will win another title.

Go watch the last time Alonso got a title. He didn't have "the best car of them all".;)

#103 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:04

Fans who don't support said driver and would rather their driver won instead?

I think proper fans will focus it as "I want my driver to get it" not "I hope X driver doesn't get it".

#104 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:08

this will make his inevitable next WDC all the sweeter - knowing that there are sourpusses out there like you... :wave:

Yup!

#105 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:10

this will make his inevitable next WDC all the sweeter - knowing that there are sourpusses out there like you... :wave:

Hey you took a page out of my book, maybe without the elegance :p

I think Alonso has a good chance to do so. He is in one of the best teams with the biggest political clout and the biggest budget , is one of the best drivers in F1, has a teammate which completely supports him and will drive in this constellation for another couple of years. Yes he came short despite all of this in the last years, but it may pay off in the future.

Edited by H2H, 27 November 2012 - 07:12.

#106 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,245 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13

Alonso needs to retake the upper hand against Massa. The last 3 races and qualifyings were disappointing for a true Alonso fan.

#107 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,317 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:18

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Massa won 2013? Ah, we can dream.

Alonso has everything it takes to win another title. His time is running out though, So the next couple of years will be crucial. It's all down to Ferrari engineers

#108 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12

No, mutual animosity was going strong years before Räikkönen leaving Ferrari, it certainly was reaching fever pitch already in 2005 and never really abated. I havn't really paid any attention to Alonso threads but Räikkönen threads certainly have their fair share of Alonso fans spewing their venom against Räikkönen and his fans, so it isn't a one way street. Yourself of course are objective and balanced and fair and reasonable and....

Indeed. I got Alonsos number around 2004-2005 as well. The way Trulli, Fisichella was treated. Piquet Jr. Flavio to blame for that too of course. And now Massa. His demeanor, attitude, arrogance. It has only grown over the years and has really nothing to do with Kimi being fired. Even though Alonso fans loooove to say that. The controversies, scandals and statements have only confirmed what I picked up early on. He has a sense of entitlement and a hint of megalomania that is very unbecoming to be honest. And I hope he never wins another title.

As for the question if he will win another title. Yes. He probably will. And on driving merit alone, he would deserve it.

#109 HPT

HPT

• 1,234 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15

It depends on whether he has the car to do it, doesn't it? Judging from the way he's driving if he's given a decent car, not even the best one, he will stand a chance.

#110 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:17

Indeed. I got Alonsos number around 2004-2005 as well. The way Trulli, Fisichella was treated. Piquet Jr. Flavio to blame for that too of course. And now Massa. His demeanor, attitude, arrogance. It has only grown over the years and has really nothing to do with Kimi being fired. Even though Alonso fans loooove to say that. The controversies, scandals and statements have only confirmed what I picked up early on. He has a sense of entitlement and a hint of megalomania that is very unbecoming to be honest. And I hope he never wins another title.

As for the question if he will win another title. Yes. He probably will. And on driving merit alone, he would deserve it.

How was Fisichella treated? And why Trulli getting into an argument with Flavio is Alonso's fault?

You sound as these people that complain when Massa gets the new parts because "he's a test mule" but complain also when it's Alonso who gets the new parts. No matter what it's done in regards to Alonso that it's always wrong.

Haters are gonna hate. And yep, your blog is a joke.

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 08:32.

#111 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:19

No, mutual animosity was going strong years before Räikkönen leaving Ferrari, it certainly was reaching fever pitch already in 2005 and never really abated. I havn't really paid any attention to Alonso threads but Räikkönen threads certainly have their fair share of Alonso fans spewing their venom against Räikkönen and his fans, so it isn't a one way street. Yourself of course are objective and balanced and fair and reasonable and....

You don't even need to go to the Alonso thread to see that stuff you are describing but by Kimi (or Vettel) fans on Alonso and his fans.

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 08:21.

#112 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,084 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:28

F1 is a strange world. People will laugh at Lewis if he goes to Merc for 3 years and wins nothing, but as proved by Alonso you can go to a top team like Ferrari for 3 years and win nothing. It just shows how hard it is to win a WDC and how much respect we should give a driver for just winning one!

#113 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 987 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31

he has to be favourite for next year surely. RBR are gonna struggle to do four in a row...

Why?

#114 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,639 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:41

Brabham & Lauda had longish gaps between their 2 & 3rd titles. Prost had a bit of a gap between his 3rd & 4th. Alonso is certainly threading the upper end of that gap... however he is in a strong team that mounted a strong challenge. He too seems to be at the height of his powers.

He has a shot at atleast another 3-4 championships, perhaps he could convert atleast one.

#115 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,639 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:41

Brabham & Lauda had longish gaps between their 2 & 3rd titles. Prost had a bit of a gap between his 3rd & 4th. Alonso is certainly threading the upper end of that gap... however he is in a strong team that mounted a strong challenge. He too seems to be at the height of his powers.

He has a shot at atleast another 3-4 championships, perhaps he could convert atleast one.

#116 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:42

he has to be favourite for next year surely. RBR are gonna struggle to do four in a row, Mclaren have no drivers and Mercedes will need a year to regroup. It's vettel or Alonso next year so you'd think with such a reliable car Ferrari can take a few risks.

I think next year will be a straight fight between Vettel and Alonso for the WDC, with Vettel being a slight favorite rather than Alonso. My reasoning is that they are already very fast this year, and they will get faster next year. Their only achilles heel this year was the alternator, which should easily be fixed during the off-season. If they can get the standard 60kW KERS into their design, next year Red Bull will be hard to beat.

#117 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,639 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:44

F1 is a strange world. People will laugh at Lewis if he goes to Merc for 3 years and wins nothing, but as proved by Alonso you can go to a top team like Ferrari for 3 years and win nothing. It just shows how hard it is to win a WDC and how much respect we should give a driver for just winning one!

absolutely.. you need to be at the right place at the right time and even then its going to be a lot of hard work. MS waited years in the Ferrari.. Lewis has had a rough few season. Look at Button.. he was almost forgotten for a while and is now a star.

The truth is no matter how you look at it, each team starts a fresh after the end of the season and must keep developing till the end of the season. So the top teams who have the resources (McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes) and the talent (RBR, Lotus) will have a shot at the title.

This year has also had a fairly close, grid.. unlike even the Mika,Michael, Jacques hey days when they would clear pole etc by .400

Keeping that in mind Fernando Alonso is in a top team and should have title opportunities. He has won two, so he knows how to close the deal. Everything will need to come together and stay together though.

Edited by skinnylizard, 27 November 2012 - 08:45.

#118 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,120 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:01

I think proper fans will focus it as "I want my driver to get it" not "I hope X driver doesn't get it".

I would opine that a 'proper fan' doesn't give a fig which driver wins it, as long as they drive for the team they support.

#119 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:06

I would opine that a 'proper fan' doesn't give a fig which driver wins it, as long as they drive for the team they support.

That would be a "proper team-focused" fan. Which is respectable. :up:

Advertisement

#120 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:13

Haters are gonna hate. And yep, your blog is a joke.

Yes, we are. Just like you on other matters.

And my blog is obviously not for you then. Yet pretty popular, thank you very much. So no harm, no foul.
I hope that little stab made you feel better :)

#121 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:20

Yes, we are. Just like you on other matters.

And my blog is obviously not for you then. Yet pretty popular, thank you very much. So no harm, no foul.
I hope that little stab made you feel better :)

Yeah, but popular among what kind of fans?;) It should be quality over quantity.

Anyway, nice selective quote. What about debating the given topic? Care to explain why it's Alonso's fault that Trulli got into an argument with Flavio or what do you mean with "how they treat Fisico"?

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 09:23.

#122 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 669 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25

Alonso will be the next triple world champion. But he will need Massa from early on to support him.

#123 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,035 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27

It could depend on when he wants to retire as well no? His contract runs till 2016, so that is plenty of time, he could race until his late 30's at least.

I can see him being a 4 or a 5 times champ.

#124 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,245 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:34

Alonsos contract runs til the end of 2015 right. So if Vettel comes in 2016, that would give Alonso three more chances for more titles.

#125 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:38

Yeah, but popular among what kind of fans?;) Quality over quantity.

Anyway, nice selective quote. What about debating the given topic? Care to explain why it's Alonso's fault that Trulli got into an argument with Flavio or what do you mean with "how they treat Fisico"?

Yes, to be honest, I am real sad to have lost a fan/reader of your quality :smoking:

As for what you ask, that is not really the topic of this thread. And I am pretty sure whatever I lay on the table wont make any difference. For another thread maybe.

About the topic. I have already said I dislike Alonso for his character and for that I hope he doesnt win again. But looking at his talent and ability to get things working in his favor, I will be surprised if he doesnt win another championship.
Because he is a great driver. I just loathe the guy, thats all.

#126 David1976

David1976

• 935 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46

I hope Alonso can win another title - ideally in 2013.

In my opinion 2013 will be a very different season. I could see Alonso, Button, Hamilton, Vettel, Webber, Massa, Raikonnen and others all winning races next year so it will come down to consistency of both driver and team. The might of Ferarri - if they sort out their aero- should be enough to give Fernando the opportunity to get the long overdue 3rd title.

I also have a feeling that Red Bull are ever so slowly losing some of their dominance. Then the drivers will matter again.

#127 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:11

Yes, to be honest, I am real sad to have lost a fan/reader of your quality :smoking:

As for what you ask, that is not really the topic of this thread. And I am pretty sure whatever I lay on the table wont make any difference. For another thread maybe.

About the topic. I have already said I dislike Alonso for his character and for that I hope he doesnt win again. But looking at his talent and ability to get things working in his favor, I will be surprised if he doesnt win another championship.
Because he is a great driver. I just loathe the guy, thats all.

What I asked you is related to what you initially wrote to "back up" how much you guys have always "disliked" Alonso (which is in what you guys try to turn every single thread about Alonso here), which was indeed off-topic.

But you know, you drop something off-topic and unfair, and when someone debate you suddenly you get your honor back and avoid off-topicness. Pretty telling.

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 10:19.

#128 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14

Probably not. But he might luck into it sooner or later if Ferrari doesn't run out of patience.

#129 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:16

Probably not. But he might luck into it sooner or later if Ferrari doesn't run out of patience.

Yeah, I don't think it's Ferrari who is in the position to loose the patience here.

Edited by Creepy, 27 November 2012 - 10:18.

#130 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:33

How about painting Alonso's Ferrari something other than red? Like yellow for example... That could be a good start.

#131 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42

What I asked you is related to what you initially wrote to "back up" how much you guys have always "disliked" Alonso (which is in what you guys try to turn every single thread about Alonso here), which was indeed off-topic.

But you know, you drop something off-topic and unfair, and when someone debate you suddenly you get your honor back and avoid off-topicness. Pretty telling.

What a lame argument. No, I avoid off-topicness because the admins frown upon it. I have debated plenty about this. But out of respect for the OP, I have no interest of getting into that with you here. And not ever really, judging from the manner in which you have replied to me and others in this thread.

I guess its my own fault for giving my reasons for why I dont want Alonso to win another title. Because that was essentially not what the OP asked. So just to steer it back on topic, like I said before. Yes, he will probably win another title. But its already at least 3 years too late from what he and Ferrari had planned for. Which is kinda ironic really.

#132 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,079 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:00

Possibly, unless Vettel does arrive at Ferrari sooner than later to replace him.

#133 paulrobs

paulrobs

• 518 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:20

I hope he does and I believe he will. My one concern is that it took Todt and Brawn to sort Ferrari out when Schumacher moved there and I'm just not sure that they have the right people there to sort problems out during a season, such as this year's lack of correlation between their CFD/design, windtunnel and on track performance. Time will tell but on balance I think he'll win a championship at Ferrari and I hope he does - he's come so close so many times since 2006 that he deserves to win another.

Edited by paulrobs, 27 November 2012 - 11:21.

#134 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,035 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:29

Alonsos contract runs til the end of 2015 right. So if Vettel comes in 2016, that would give Alonso three more chances for more titles.

It runs until the end of 2016, he could even stay on after that.

#135 Robertsf

Robertsf

• 47 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:41

It runs until the end of 2016, he could even stay on after that.

No!!!

#136 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:51

Sorry if this point has already been made, but at the time of Alonzo´s last pit stop I was thinking, they have to fit full wets. The weather was closing in and the track was already wetter than at any other time in the race. Fred still had 15 laps to do something about Jenson's 20 second lead, and it was never going to happen with intermediates. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain, and, had they gambled on full wets, I believe he might have won the race and the championship, and if not, it would have been desparately close anyway.
It was a poor tactical error on Ferrari´s part I feel. Anyone else agree?

Edited by SgtPepperoni, 27 November 2012 - 11:52.

#137 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 987 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54

It was a poor tactical error on Ferrari´s part I feel. Anyone else agree?

Mind you, not even remotely close to Red Bull's tactical error to bring Seb in for options when the rain started. All they had to do was to cover Alonso, yet they were the first to blink and got it terribly wrong.

#138 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:04

as for the title I think with hamilton more than likely in an uncompetitive car and if alonso continues consistently then why not some of these haters forget that he came within 3 points of the title in a car that was consistently 5th fastest in quali some times even slower !

we also forget the ferrari started the year 12th and 16th in quali ! I think considering where they started the ferrari was bullet proof it had ok race pace team tactics worked a charm .considering how bad the platform was they were the most improved team out there.

Vettel won the title because of grosjean taking out alonso in spa where more than likely alonso would have scored good points as he has the whole season. this cant be compared with self inflicted accident retirements like vettel did or retirements stemming from crap alternators from renault .

#139 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,701 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:10

Enough of how everyone feels about Alonso, this thread is for discussing whether or not he will win another title, nothing else.

Advertisement

#140 August

August

• 2,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:21

Does it matter? As long as he puts in seasons like he did this past year, he'll be viewed as one of the most talented guys in the sport.

Well said. He's already won the WDC, even twice, but he won't break Schuey's record of seven titles. Even without more titles, he's considered as a great driver. I'd appreciate him much more if he didn't necessarily win WDCs but had great battles against a competitive teammate on the top of the sport and mostly beat him, than if he won WDCs as his team's absolute No. 1.

But the only reason I can imagine why he should win yet one title would be that he could win a title for Ferrari. As if that would be so important after all.

Edited by August, 27 November 2012 - 13:21.

#141 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:23

Fernando Alonso will win three more WDCs. Mark my words.

#142 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:25

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win another title.

But then:

Even without more titles, he's considered as a great driver.

very true.

The guy is going down in the history books as one of the greats, IMO, regardless of whether he wins more titles or not.

#143 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:26

Painful stat: if Alonso scored 13 more points in three seasons he would have been a five-time world champion with three different constructors.

Painful but also very remarkable stat. It says a lot about his quality, his zeal and his application.

#144 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:31

Alonso needs to retake the upper hand against Massa. The last 3 races and qualifyings were disappointing for a true Alonso fan.

Not at all. The way the car is set up and modified has a big impact on the relative performance of the two drivers in the team. Like Kimi Raikkonen suddenly appeared to be the slower driver as compared to Felipe Massa from France 2008 onwards, so Fernando's relative performance fell off lately.

I do not think for a second that suddenly Kimi or Fernando were slower drivers and Felipe was better than them. You, Kucki - as a Finn - should know that.

#145 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 317 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:41

Not at all. The way the car is set up and modified has a big impact on the relative performance of the two drivers in the team. Like Kimi Raikkonen suddenly appeared to be the slower driver as compared to Felipe Massa from France 2008 onwards, so Fernando's relative performance fell off lately.

I do not think for a second that suddenly Kimi or Fernando were slower drivers and Felipe was better than them. You, Kucki - as a Finn - should know that.

But that is a new view in Alonso's fans side. Up until now, it was Massa who was quicker and Räikkönen that didn't work hard enough.

#146 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:43

How about painting Alonso's Ferrari something other than red? Like yellow for example... That could be a good start.

Indeed, important element here. It is IMHO still working on a subconscious level in many people and stands against Fer winning the WDC with Ferrari. Two times so close.... some work needs to be done to address this issue and actually I will contact Fernando and send him some techniques for reprogramming the subconsious. Laugh about it, if you want, but a lot is done to mind power, as already Ayrton knew. Seb is fabulous in this department and unphased in his application of mind power (even if emotionally he freaks out in certain situations).

The "as long as the car is not red" thing stands against Fernando - once erased, more titles will follow, three in my reckoning. Luca di Montezemolo is now all fired up, so is the whole Ferrari team.

#147 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,210 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:44

But that is a new view in Alonso's fans side. Up until now, it was Massa who was quicker and Räikkönen that didn't work hard enough.

I have always been a fan of Kimi and Fernando - 2005 was a dream year for me - one of my favourite drivers would surely win. And it is quite logical - to me, Kimi and Fernando are the two most remarkable personalities on the grid - each in his own way. So why not be a fan of both of them?

#148 SgtPepperoni

SgtPepperoni

• 177 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:56

Mind you, not even remotely close to Red Bull's tactical error to bring Seb in for options when the rain started. All they had to do was to cover Alonso, yet they were the first to blink and got it terribly wrong.

Oh yes, totally agree. They were just plain lucky. I couldn´t believe it when he pitted while Fred was still circulating.
The point I was trying to make was that Alonso might well have added to his championship total had Ferrari given him the chance. He is a class act, but he needs the team to make the correct calls in situations such as these if he is going to win another title. F1 is that competitive.

#149 August

August

• 2,252 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:04

Oh yes, totally agree. They were just plain lucky. I couldn´t believe it when he pitted while Fred was still circulating.
The point I was trying to make was that Alonso might well have added to his championship total had Ferrari given him the chance. He is a class act, but he needs the team to make the correct calls in situations such as these if he is going to win another title. F1 is that competitive.

Alonso didn't lose 2010 WDC in Abu Dhabi, he lost it in races like Spa.

#150 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:07

What a lame argument. No, I avoid off-topicness because the admins frown upon it. I have debated plenty about this. But out of respect for the OP, I have no interest of getting into that with you here. And not ever really, judging from the manner in which you have replied to me and others in this thread.

I guess its my own fault for giving my reasons for why I dont want Alonso to win another title. Because that was essentially not what the OP asked. So just to steer it back on topic, like I said before. Yes, he will probably win another title. But its already at least 3 years too late from what he and Ferrari had planned for. Which is kinda ironic really.

Indeed, if you bring off-topic stuff you have to expect to be treated accordingly to such manners (this isn't your blog). And do as you wish.

And I don't think it has to be late really. If Alonso wins the next season or the next two ones (which is possible), at the end that will be what it matters, not what Ferrari planned in 2009 for 2010 or whatever. It's basically the same for most drivers and teams really.

Edited by Creepy, 28 November 2012 - 01:12.