Photo

Camping at the Revival

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:57

I am - like most people, I suppose - fed up with having to get up earlier and earlier each year to avoid the worst of the traffic queue at the Revival, since I go all three days. this year I have the opportunity to borrow a friend's camper van ( not so much a Classic as a Classicly Ugly Toyota).
I know there are many here who either camp or camper van it. Any tips please? I gather I need to book very soon - within the next couple of weeks - but that the site for 2013 has moved from handily near Lavant corner to 'opposite the Goodwood Hotel', wherever that may be but it's a 15 minute walk.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19

Seeing what some attendees at the Revival actually turn up looking like, I was a bit alarmed by Malcolm's thread title.

Quite a relief to see what he was actually talking about.

#3 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:23

Seeing what some attendees at the Revival actually turn up looking like, I was a bit alarmed by Malcolm's thread title.

Quite a relief to see what he was actually talking about.

Oh pet - you ain't seen nothing yet...
:wave:

But yes: I'm talking portable homes.

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:32

A weekend (4 night) pitch with electrical hook-up is priced at £210. The showers/loos are temporary. You are brave Malcolm. :smoking:

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:32

Not sure I want to.

Is it me or is that, in fact, a bit steep?

Edited by Barry Boor, 27 November 2012 - 10:33.

#6 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:49

very very steep. I've paid far less for camping at similar large weekend events

#7 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:10

... You are brave Malcolm. :smoking:

Is it THAT bad?

#8 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:12

Not sure I want to.

Is it me or is that, in fact, a bit steep?

Just been quoted £151 by Goodwood for the weekend without electricity. Why do I need electricity in a camper van? (I own the last Tilley Lamp in Hampshire.)

#9 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:36

Just been quoted £151 by Goodwood for the weekend without electricity. Why do I need electricity in a camper van? (I own the last Tilley Lamp in Hampshire.)

But can you still get the mantles?

I have friends who stay in a static caravan nearby on a huge site at a fraction of cost of Goodwood, and I gather it's only about 15 mins away. I did stay on the competitor's campsite one night last year, (I bivvied under the Hibberd's transporter courtesy of Rudi Ernst) and if you didn't hit the queues for the trailer showers by 6am, you could expect a lengthy wait.
I am a regular camper, but Goodwood remains a step too far for me these days.

Edited by Giraffe, 27 November 2012 - 11:40.

#10 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:18

I've camped on site each year it has been available. It usually works out at £10 per person per night (we don't have electricity - we Scots are a hardy bunch!). viewed in these terms the cost / convenience is OK. Normally the site has been oposite the hotel enterance. This year with no prior warning we found ourself in a 'satelite station' campsite over the road, though slightly nearer the circuit. It's a short (5-10 mins walk to the circuit, and they lay on tractor rides for the fat / idle / ladies in heels.

What rankles is the standard of toilets / showers. They are basic in the extreme. Perhaps those who went to public school expect / accept / tolerate comunal ablusions, but not I! I really think when one considers the revenue the camping must bring in, Lord March certainly doesn't spoil his camping guests!
I'm sure there are other choices available, but for the money we tolerate it. The bogs and cold showers give us something to moan about, but hey ho......

#11 beesa71

beesa71

• 39 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 19:30

I'd like to add a positive comment In respect of Revival (and FOS) camping.

My sometimes extended family and I have used His Lordship's camping facilities 4 or 5 times now and have already booked two non-electric pitches for the 2013 Revival.

Good points;
Convenient - a short walk or a free tractor/trailer ride onto the circuit each morning and return at dusk. Ditto for The Thursday evening cricket match, usually closed by a stunning Spitfire flying display - a great warm up for the following three days activities. The wake up call for those not out early enough each event day morning is similarly a dawn patrol flying display that fills the air over the campsite with glorious sounds.
Facilities - more than adequate with on-site cleaners continually in attendance although this was rather let down this year by the cleaning staff appearing to have left before the campsite cleared on Monday morning, the showers then were though no worse than I've seen on other commercial camping/caravan campsites. Goodwood shop on site. Fresh water close by with toilet/grey water emptying adjacent to the other facilities.
Layout - adequate size pitches. We've managed to get a large caravan/large awning with annex and two vehicles on each pitch. Each pitch booking covering up to four people (we even offered kingsleyrob on-site accomodation this year that he turned down!).

Issues;
Ineffective 'policing' of the campsite directive of keeping access ways clear of parked vehicles. This year was worse than we've seen it previously such that there were concerns re' fire support. It appears that people try and cram more onto pitches than they have booked for/paid for.
On-site 'security' staff appeared untrained and from diverse sources - actually gave the appearance of 'couldn't care less'.
No sign this year of any vehicular 'fire patrols'.
The tractor/trailer rides stopped on Friday evening before the race into dusk finished, after a long day that walk back wasn't part of our plan!

So, my conclusion? We've booked already, what more evidence of our satisfaction could I offer.

Paul (aka beesa71 almost everywhere)

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:13

A few years ago I camped in the field behind the Anglesey Arms in Halnaker. The pub has changed hands and I don't know if they still allow camping.
Facilities are non-existent being no more than the pub's llos. They do food, but you have to book - or you did the time I went.

I've also stayed at a commercial site. I think it was Bell Caravan Park, Bell Lane, Birdham, PO20 7HY, phone 01243 512264. They have all the usual facilities - loos, showers, electric hookupse etc. When I went there for the FoS they put the big caravans around the edge with the electric hookups and the smaller vans and tents in the middle of the field. With the numbers there it was rather a scrum to wash & shave in the morning. Prices are normal commercial rates - I forget how much, but significantly lower than Lord March's inflated prices. The site is on the far side of Chichester so you still have to queue to get into Goodwood. Or park in Chichester and take the bus (I've never done this but I've seen reference to it), or cycle[!]

Edited by D-Type, 28 November 2012 - 17:41.

#13 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:19

I;m not sure Goodwoods prices for camping ARE all that inflated, are they?

approx £160 for a non electric pitch for 4 people for the 4 nights works out at £10 per person per night. Additional passes for the same pitch are £40 for the weekend. much cheaper than a local B&B (if you could find one) we used to use the site ('The lakes'?) out at the bypas and the pice was comparible, but the noise from the road was terrible. + the Q's to get in an out each day........

Strikes me that they don't over charge for the camping as much as they do for the event itself :)

Still, it's my choice to keep paying / going.

#14 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:43

A few years ago I camped in the field behind the Anglesey Arms in Halnaker. The pub has changed hands and i don't know if they still allow camping.
Facilities are non-existent being no more than the pub's llos. They do food, but you have to book - or you did the time I went.

I've been camping there for approx the last 10 years - it's currently £10 a night for a single person in a tent and there are no facilities unless the pub is open. Most of us are regulars and appear every year - some are entrants and others work there...the revival is jolly as the cold nights mean we go into the pub for a drink and a chat to keep warm.

The FoS they have 2 portaloos and you need to ring and book as it's very busy. Revival it's a lot quieter and no portaloos - but courteous to let them know you'll be turning up. They do breakfasts if you ask them in advance...I think they're a standard time of 0830 ( I'm at the circuit by then).
The tarmac car park is where the motorhomes go - I know some people organise for them to provide an electric hook up and it seems to use lots of extension leads - no idea of costs for that or how many are available. Motorhomes might cost more as only a certain number can fit.

There's also a campsite in East Dean - but I've never been there.

Edited by condor, 28 November 2012 - 16:45.