Rally 2013

• Please log in to reply
2190 replies to this topic

#1 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:59

So......
Just 7 weeks till the Ceremonial Start takes place for Round 1 for the 2013 World Rally Championship - The 81st Rally Monte Carlo
So far the confirmed entries for the 2013 season are
Citroen:
Mikko Hirvonen
Dani Sordo/Seb Loeb
Kahlid Quassimi
Thierry Neuville (I think)
Possibly Robert Kubica too!

VW:
Seb Ogier
Jari Matti Latvala
Andreas Mikkelsen

Qatar M-Sport (Ford)
Mads Ostberg
Nasser Al-Attiyah
TBC - Possibility of Petter Solberg or SWRC Champion Craig Breen

Prodrive:
TBC but probably pay drivers only

Hyundai*:
TBC but rumored to be Kris Meeke
*Only on selected rounds towards the end of the year

7 weeks to go but does anyone have any idea what channel the UK highlights will be shown on???? :drunk:

Edited by kosmic33, 04 January 2013 - 15:52.

Advertisement

#2 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:03

Robert in WRC would be something, even though I'm not sure if he is ready. I love watching WRC, but so far I haven't followed it closely - it would be great time to start I think.

#3 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:14

I'm looking forward. Hopefully Prodrive can get some decent funding and drivers. Also I am very curious to see what Hyundai's plans are. Rumours are that PG Anderson will be the development driver for them.

I think you can add Andreas Mikkelsen to the list at VW. As a Dutchman I really hope Kevin Abbring will get a chance again at VW as well. :)

#4 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:35

I think you can add Andreas Mikkelsen to the list at VW. As a Dutchman I really hope Kevin Abbring will get a chance again at VW as well. :)

Oh yeah!
Dont know how I forgot him
I think Kevin will certainly get some kind of opportunity with VW this year.
Nothing confirmed but last I heard he still isn't permitted to drive anything except a VW as his every-day car!

#5 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:40

I love watching WRC, but so far I haven't followed it closely - it would be great time to start I think.

Here might be a good place to start!

And the Monte Carlo should be a great event this year
Ogier vs Loeb should be epic
Ogier flew last year in an S2000 until.....

#6 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 14:59

Is it possible that I have read rumours of somebody asking the FIA for the permit to adapt a Fiesta WRC?
There were too many motorsport news the last couple of days and maybe I'm mixing things up, but I somehow remember something like that.

#7 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 15:04

Should be the best season we've seen in a while. I hope there is some live Monte coverage on Eurosport again this year.

Really looking foward to Dakar as well.

#8 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 15:39

Should be the best season we've seen in a while. I hope there is some live Monte coverage on Eurosport again this year.

Really looking foward to Dakar as well.

There'll be no WRC on Eurosport. RedBull Media House & The Sportsmans Group won the Promoter role. What stations the WRC is up in the air - I would think there would be coverage on RedBullTV.....

Eurosport wil have the new inproved ERC...starting 3-5 Jan, with the JannerRallye.

#9 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 16:08

Eurosport wil have the new inproved ERC...starting 3-5 Jan, with the JannerRallye.

Have any drivers been confirmed for Peugeots 208 R5 yet?
Surely Breen will be in with a chance after Du Var at the weekend

No Skoda - they're taking a year out to develop their R5 (according to MN a couple of months ago anyway)
No Fiesta R5 till April.

Who will be doing this championship then?

#10 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 1,799 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:17

Citroen:
Dani Sordo/Seb Loeb

was it confirmed that Sordo will only race when Loeb will not? Can't they just enter 1 more car for Loeb?

#11 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 18:47

Here might be a good place to start!

One of my fav videos on youtube actually, I watch them a lot and will make rallying my hobby one day, you'll see. Can't believe something so spectacular is not popular nowadays.

#12 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:15

One of my fav videos on youtube actually, I watch them a lot and will make rallying my hobby one day, you'll see. Can't believe something so spectacular is not popular nowadays.

Its got to be down to the poor level of tv coverage this last few years.

Each round of the WRC generally pulls spectator figures that other motorsports can only dream about so the interest is there somewhere.
Same go's for the national championships in countries like France, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, Poland, etc....

#13 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:11

Estonian media is reporting that Ott Tänak will do 9 rallies next season in M-Sport's second team

#14 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:26

Esapekka Lappi will join Skoda factory team in WRC-2(previous SWRC) for selected rounds.

Edited by skywing, 30 November 2012 - 11:26.

#15 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:55

Esapekka Lappi will join Skoda factory team in WRC-2(previous SWRC) for selected rounds.

I'm not surprised - the only driver all season to have the speed to race Ogier & Mikkelsson in an s2000 all year.
Probably Finlands next big talent!

#16 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 13:31

I'm not surprised - the only driver all season to have the speed to race Ogier & Mikkelsson in an s2000 all year.

Yes, but only in Finland. We don't know how he will do in rallies he doesn't know.

Also, Juho Hanninen leaves Skoda. Hopefully we will see him in a WRC car next year.

#17 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 13:34

Also, Juho Hanninen leaves Skoda. Hopefully we will see him in a WRC car next year.

As much as I hope to see that I have serious doubts about it.

#18 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:11

As much as I hope to see that I have serious doubts about it.

From what I heared he was trying to get into WRC and if that wouldn't succeed, the doors to Skoda Motorsport would remain open. Now, that door has closed so maybe he has a WRC deal?

#19 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:18

well it didn't take long ... :p

first Accident of Latvala 2013

Jari-Matti Latvala road accident halts Volkswagen's Mexico WRC test - autosport

Volkswagen's Mexican test was stopped yesterday when the Polo R WRC being driven by Jari-Matti Latvala was involved in a road accident.

The precise circumstances of the accident remain unclear, but the Finn's Polo was driving on a public road which looped back to the start of the test stage close to Leon.

There was a collision between the Polo and a family in another car.

And they call Grosjean 'First lap Nutjob' :o

P.S : nobody was hurt (Except Latvala's reputation and VW's confidence in him), that's the most important thing :up:

Edited by eronrules, 30 November 2012 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#20 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:22

I don't know rally reality too well, but I think citroen basically admits they would want Kubica in 2013 provided there will be some budget from him.
http://www.wrc.com/n...2013/?fid=18019

karne - I take it you are shouting at me? :kiss: or OP?

Edited by MadYarpen, 30 November 2012 - 16:14.

#21 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 14:24

RallyING, RallyING, rallyING!

:mad:

Isn't Atko driving for Mini this year?

#22 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 15:50

Miiro Koivula, a journalist for MTV3, is tweeting that we might get some interesting news in the evening involving a Finnish driver. Hänninen? Nikara? Kovalainen to rallying?

Edited by skywing, 30 November 2012 - 15:55.

#23 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:10

Confirmation Hanninen will be in a Fiesta next year!

http://www.mtv3.fi/u...llin-mm-sarjaan

Translation:
http://translate.goo...llin-mm-sarjaan

#24 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:13

http://www.mtv3.fi/u...llin-mm-sarjaan

Translation:
http://translate.goo...llin-mm-sarjaan

Me and my doubts. :lol: This is absolutely fantastic, Juho really deserved a proper chance in WRC! :clap:

E: And that means Petter is out of WRC?

Edited by skywing, 30 November 2012 - 16:14.

#25 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 16:45

Juho definitely deserves it.
I hope he isn't having to bring too much money with him though.

Have to laugh at Malcom Wilson though - once again he signs 2 Scandinavians!

#26 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:24

Hanninen O.o

Far, far, far from a driver I would've signed.

#27 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:31

Hanninen O.o

Far, far, far from a driver I would've signed.

? He is pretty much the most succesful driver out there who hasn't yet got a proper chance to show what he can do in WRC.

#28 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 17:35

Juho definitely deserves it.
I hope he isn't having to bring too much money with him though.

Have to laugh at Malcom Wilson though - once again he signs 2 Scandinavians!

Have to agree, he definitely deserves it - what more could he do? Winner of the IRC, ERC & S-WRC........

I still think Wilson is living in a time warp regarding drivers - 2004 he had Martin & Duval, but 2002 was the last time he had any non 'Nordic' drivers - Doesn't he trust the Southern European drivers?? :lol:

#29 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:09

A well matured driver at his peak the upcoming years. Sounds reasonable. Nice signing!

#30 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:10

Have to agree, he definitely deserves it - what more could he do? Winner of the IRC, ERC & S-WRC........

I still think Wilson is living in a time warp regarding drivers - 2004 he had Martin & Duval, but 2002 was the last time he had any non 'Nordic' drivers - Doesn't he trust the Southern European drivers?? :lol:

Sure when has a Southern European driver ever beat ford????

Oh wait....... :p

Probably something to do with st least 1 of his drivers always being a pay driver.

#31 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:18

? He is pretty much the most succesful driver out there who hasn't yet got a proper chance to show what he can do in WRC.

I know, it's just something with the guy that causes me not to choose him if I could choose freely.

#32 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:25

is it me or anybody else feel that if VW produces a good car (not best, but close), we'll soon see the reign of another 'Sebastian' in WRC ... Ogier is the next big superstar in WRC, mark my word. :smoking:

#33 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:29

He is still using the Stuart Turner manual "How to Pick a Rally Driver". It was obviously given to him as a farewell gift by Ford. You would think that, as a victim himself of Ford's obsession with Nordic driver choices, he might take a broader view. :drunk:

But having said that, picking Hanninen for 2013 is a no-brainer. Ogier and Loeb aren't available and Juho is the next best by a long way.

#34 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:26

But having said that, picking Hanninen for 2013 is a no-brainer.

Meeke???? :D

No money to bring with him though.....

#35 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:48

Hanninen is not part of the Qatar M-Sport team. Their second driver is yet to be chosen. Monte Carlo and Sweden are confirmed but the rest is still unknown.

#36 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:57

And they call Grosjean 'First lap Nutjob' :o

We don't know who's fault was it, right?;)

E: And that means Petter is out of WRC?

Juho deserves it, but Petter :(

#37 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:04

Any news on Breen?

#38 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:13

is it me or anybody else feel that if VW produces a good car (not best, but close), we'll soon see the reign of another 'Sebastian' in WRC ... Ogier is the next big superstar in WRC, mark my word. :smoking:

This is my feeling. Ogier is a massive talent, and there's no doubt VW have put a lot of money and effort behind this WRC car and team. I'd even tentatively wager that he's one of the favourites for the Monte...

#39 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:19

3 guys I think HAVE to be in WRC this year...

Meeke - it's mad that he's been cast out, and that's not just because I'm a Brit. He's really good.

Hanninen - dominated the IRC and deserves a shot with the big boys.

Mikkelsen - again is an IRC champ and deserves a go in pukka WRC.

Solberg I don't really think deserves a seat, if anything he's been more inconsistent once back in a works car than he was giving it everything in his own team. He doesn't bring anything that Ostberg can't or can't add with experience.

Advertisement

#40 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 17:33

So, Petter Solberg has gotten as offer from Ford sources in Norway says. However, it's not something Petter is overjoyed with, because, it is not in rally.
It looks like M-Sport wants Petter to drive the sub 600HP-RX car then.

Oh, and in other Norwegian news... Henning Solberg has opened yet another tire-shop, and aims to run competetive WRC for 5 years (!)

#41 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 18:34

This is my feeling. Ogier is a massive talent, and there's no doubt VW have put a lot of money and effort behind this WRC car and team. I'd even tentatively wager that he's one of the favourites for the Monte...

Dunno about Monte, Loeb will be there, but I can't see anyone but Ogier being champ next year

As for Breen, it looks like he'll be in a Peugeot next year. S2000 then R5 probably in the ERC

Edited by kosmic33, 01 December 2012 - 18:35.

#42 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:27

http://awards.autosp...m/2012-winners/

Rally car of the year - ds3 wrc with a picture of osian pryces ds3 r3....... :drunk:

Edit: someone at autosport pays attention to this thread. Sorted now!

Edited by kosmic33, 04 December 2012 - 01:18.

#43 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,181 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:54

3 guys I think HAVE to be in WRC this year...

Meeke - it's mad that he's been cast out, and that's not just because I'm a Brit. He's really good.

I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to Mini's intermittent results, but wasn't Meeke blown away by Sordo?

I'm not certain Hanninen's that good neither. Ogier proved the Skodas could go an awful lot quicker than him and the other established IRC/SWRC drivers. But hey, not everyone can be at world class level.

#44 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:17

I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention to Mini's intermittent results, but wasn't Meeke blown away by Sordo?

no you weren't paying attention

I'm not certain Hanninen's that good neither. Ogier proved the Skodas could go an awful lot quicker than him and the other established IRC/SWRC drivers. But hey, not everyone can be at world class level.

When?
I don't remember Hanninen doing any wrc rounds this year.
In the irc they raced each other 3 times.
Ogier won his home rally - the monte Carlo in 2009. Hanninen DNF
Hanninen won Sardinia and finished 2nd in monte Carlo - both in 2010 Ogier crashed out of both

#45 amjs

amjs

• 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:14

According to the Norwegian media, Petter Solberg´s career in the WRC is over.

http://www.vg.no/spo...?artid=10056431
http://www.nrk.no/sp...ieren-1.9387429

#46 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:23

Sad that he’s retiring from the WRC, but one can’t really blame him. Whilst he’s had a disappointing season – he did show enough pace to continue in the WRC. But I applaud his stand about paying for a drive – he’s a former WRChampion.
Just how much have Qatar actually put into the M-Sport team?

#47 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,181 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26

no you weren't paying attention

My recollection is Meeke having an awful lot of reliablity troubles, but before they'd hit him Sordo was always ahead of him, often by quite a while.

When?
I don't remember Hanninen doing any wrc rounds this year.
In the irc they raced each other 3 times.
Ogier won his home rally - the monte Carlo in 2009. Hanninen DNF
Hanninen won Sardinia and finished 2nd in monte Carlo - both in 2010 Ogier crashed out of both

May have been the Montes that I followed, admittedly Ogier had an advantage there. He was much much quicker than the lot though, same as with Hirvonen in the Fiesta S2000, it was as if Hanninen, Meeke, Loix, the whole lot of IRC drivers in the Skodas and Peugeots were a very big level below both of them.

My attention to the WRC and IRC has come and went in patches many times so it's entirely possible I don't have the full picture in my mind, nevertheless...

Edited by noikeee, 04 December 2012 - 10:27.

#48 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:25

Sad that he’s retiring from the WRC, but one can’t really blame him. Whilst he’s had a disappointing season – he did show enough pace to continue in the WRC. But I applaud his stand about paying for a drive – he’s a former WRChampion.
Just how much have Qatar actually put into the M-Sport team?

Apparently Nasser Al-Attiyah, the M-sport third driver and the man behind the Quatar-backing is a fan of Petter and wanted him in the second car. Wilson probably has som East European youngster with a substantial backing on his hands and prefers money over speed.

I guess we'll see Petter in a variety of categories next year; Global Rallycross in the USA, Pikes Peak (Petter Solberg Engineering has built a prototype) and perhaps LeMans. He did a really good test for Oreca two or three years ago, almost as fast as Panis in his first apperance in a LeMans prototype, and team boss Hugues de Chaunac really wanted him. Petter declined to concentrate on his WRC program. And what about Huyndai?

#49 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:12

Apparently Nasser Al-Attiyah, the M-sport third driver and the man behind the Quatar-backing is a fan of Petter and wanted him in the second car. Wilson probably has som East European youngster with a substantial backing on his hands and prefers money over speed.

I guess we'll see Petter in a variety of categories next year; Global Rallycross in the USA, Pikes Peak (Petter Solberg Engineering has built a prototype) and perhaps LeMans. He did a really good test for Oreca two or three years ago, almost as fast as Panis in his first apperance in a LeMans prototype, and team boss Hugues de Chaunac really wanted him. Petter declined to concentrate on his WRC program. And what about Huyndai?

are hyundai really coming to WRC??? i'm a big fan of solberg from his WDC winning subaru days, he is a character and i'd be sad to see him go like this, his story is kinda similar to Kobayashi's .

#50 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:00

My recollection is Meeke having an awful lot of reliablity troubles, but before they'd hit him Sordo was always ahead of him, often by quite a while.

Meeke did 6 events in the Mini, all events which Sordo had a massive experience advantage on.
In Finland, after 2 days Meeke was ahead on stage times by 5 seconds

In Spain (where Dani was setting fastest times this year) they were very close on times (although meeke lost time in dust on the 1st night), finished 4th & 5th with Meeke winning the Power Stage

In Rally GB Meeke (on stages Dani would have more experience of) Meeke beat Sordo the whole was until Dani crashed and only reliability problems prevented meeke from getting a podium (he finished 4th)

In Germany (dont forget Meeke prefers gravel) there was nothing between them after day 1 but I cant remember what happened Kris - I think he crashed out?http://www.wrc.com/results/2011/adac-rallye-deutschland/day-results/?category=wrc&leg=1

In Italy Meeke was well ahead (trading places with Loeb) before something broke putting him off the road
http://www.wrc.com/r...a...c&stageno=2

He was also easily the quicker in the JWRC, just more crash-prone

And also, in the rally that sealed his IRC drive with Peugeot, in Germany 2008 he made a one off (non JWRC eligible) return in a private Clio s1600 and showed Ogier (in a works C2 s1600) the way home (1min20 lead) before having to retire on the 2nd last stage with an electrical problem....