* * * * * 10 votes

Rally 2013

• Please log in to reply
2190 replies to this topic

#151 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 13:16

What happened when the 2 rich boys had a showdown????

Advertisement

#152 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 13:55

So signup for ERC is closed. They are sopose to show entry list tomorrow.
I wonder if Robert is there :)

#153 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 14:14

So signup for ERC is closed. They are sopose to show entry list tomorrow.
I wonder if Robert is there :)

thanks for the info :up:

I think it will show whether his future is in rallying or racing. Can't wait.

#154 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 17:20

auto hebdo claims rk and tanak wil be partners in m-sport erc programme. no robert in janer rally though.

Source:
http://www.autohebdo..._medium=twitter

E: about tanak I've read on twitter

Edited by MadYarpen, 17 December 2012 - 17:43.

#155 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:29

Looks like Francois Delecour has sealed a deal to to the European & Romanian championships in a 207 S2000!
I hope its a modern spec car.....

Another unexpected bit of news - No Prodrive Minis for Monte Carlo

To be fair, the british teams (Mini/M-Sport) tend to use MN to try and drum up headlines for themselves all the time.
Last weeks MN's headline story was about how Mini are ready to win in Monte Carlo (with no mention of drivers or sponsors at all)

#156 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:44

Hypothetical question - regarding RK. Let's say he will drive Fiesta RRC. How does this car, run by M-Sport, compare to DS3 RRC? Any idea? Just curious how good machinery would he use.

#157 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:48

Hypothetical question - regarding RK. Let's say he will drive Fiesta RRC. How does this car, run by M-Sport, compare to DS3 RRC? Any idea? Just curious how good machinery would he use.

It'd be pretty equal.
An RRC is basically a WRC with less aero and a smaller restrictor
The Fiesta and DS3 WRCs were very evenly matched this year so it stands to reason that the RRCs will be too

#158 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:52

thanks, I hope it all happens and I hope that M-sport will be a good support for him. I'm already planning rally poland trip, even though because of my exam I might not be able to go. And barum rally is not that far away.

#159 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:54

The DS3 RRC has barely been run and I don't expect to see that car in action a lot.

Advertisement

#160 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,869 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:28

What happened when the 2 rich boys had a showdown????

It was in 2008, not 2007 - my fault!

Well, it's more down to the nature of the Norwegian Championship, and the spirit here in Norway. A championship is huge, however, you have to earn it by speed, on the stages, and not outside, with protests, or "mindgames".

Østberg and Mikkelsen fought hard the whole season. Until the second to last round. Where Adapta WRT (Østberg) filed a protest against Mikkelsen about cutting of tires between stages. It was not allowed to cut the tires in the way you usually cut them (with machines), however, cuts about the size of razorblades, are allowed - not in WRC, but in Norway (at least it was in 2008). Mikkelsen got DQ'd, however, they lodged an appeal, and won.

Then they went into the last rally, Mikkelsen needed a top three if Østberg won. This rally is the "Norwegian Rally Finland". An extremely fast rally, where there are kilometres where you don't get under 170 kmph. For this rally Anders Grøndal also showed very good speed in his 2004 spec Subaru (Mikkelsen had his 07 spec Focus, and Østberg in his 07 Spec Impreza). And due to this, Mikkelsen decided to settle for a third place, and let the two Subaru-drivers fight for the win.
During the day Østberg, smiled, and said that he only had to do his job, and hope for Mikkelsen to get some sort of problems to end outside the top 3. This was the way he played that day, to the media, to his team, and to Mikkelsen himself. He even got himself to congratulate Mikkelsen as far as I remember.

However, a footnote in the Norwegian rules, states that the championship isn't the decided the usual way. (Most wins - 2nd, 3rd, etc.) however, with the results in the last rally. So, suddenly when the last stage had finished, Adapta celebrated, and no-one understood why, until they told what they had known all the time.

This, itself, isn't a very bad thing, it's about reading every single word in the rules, and then play them out.
But this marked an end to the way the Norwegian champ. was handled. It had always been though, hard. But it had always been extremely friendly. Until that year, if this was a possibility, it would've been told to the leading driver, as a heads up.
Again, it's nothing wrong with it, apart from the "gentleman" style we had in Norway, until Adapta came.
During the whole of 2008, there seemed to be something in about every rally, that Adapta was involved in, it just look right.

This is the reason that I like Mikkelsen much better. First this happened, then his father told him that if he wanted to keep on driving, he had to find his own money. So, in 2009, Mikkelsen was able to get enough sponsorship to by a Subaru-Cup car (A group N Subaru, with H-pattern, standard clutch, standard dampers etc.) the price was about half of a normal Gr.N car. He dominated Group.N in Norway with that car, but this year also marked a tragedy. At Rally Larvik, a Norwegian Championship round on Tarmac, Mikkelsen lost control over his car, went off the road, struck, and killed a 10 year old girl.
2010 came, he got sponsorship from hankook, and drove a Fiesta S2000. The rest is history.

Mads however have ever since been supported by his dad, and had it lot more easy.

And, the majority of Norwegians tend to like the people that have to fight to achieve the dream better than the ones that don't. And, even though Mikkelsen had it way too easy up to 2009, he have had a hard time after that.

Oh well. I guess some end up liking Østberg better after this, or not like Mikkelsen as much... Or just wonder why the heck I'm not happy with the way the 08 Norwegian Champ. ended! :)

#161 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:00

It'd be pretty equal.
An RRC is basically a WRC with less aero and a smaller restrictor
The Fiesta and DS3 WRCs were very evenly matched this year so it stands to reason that the RRCs will be too

I'm way more confused by how these new RRCs will compare to the S2000s, and apparently there's another new class named "R5" too?

#162 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,920 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:00

On paper they should be faster, I think (more torque). But IIRC in reality they weren't? At least when Solowow tested the Fiesta (comparing with his S2000) not long after it's introduction the conclusions were that the car isn't much better but it's much more expensive.

Looks like Francois Delecour has sealed a deal to to the European & Romanian championships in a 207 S2000!
I hope its a modern spec car.....

:clap:

Edited by DrProzac, 18 December 2012 - 10:02.

#163 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,869 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:38

I'm way more confused by how these new RRCs will compare to the S2000s, and apparently there's another new class named "R5" too?

R5 is supposed to be the new WRC formula I think I've read somewhere.

#164 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:55

R5 will be the replacement for S2000. So far there are no R5's ready, but the Peugeot is already testing.
Besides Peugeot, Ford, Citroen, Skoda and Opel have more or less confirmed they are developping an R5 car.

#165 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:24

If R5 are the replacement of S2000 what's the point of the RRC then?

#166 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:23

RRC's are WRC's with a smaller restrictor and less aero. If somebody ownes a WRC, he can run in ERC or WRC2 with that car but as a RRC version. Dani Sordo won Tour de Corse last year in a RRC-spec MINI.

Edited by EightGear, 18 December 2012 - 12:24.

#167 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:56

RRC's are WRC's with a smaller restrictor and less aero. If somebody ownes a WRC, he can run in ERC or WRC2 with that car but as a RRC version. Dani Sordo won Tour de Corse last year in a RRC-spec MINI.

Basso won San Marino in one too using the Fiesta RRC - the one Solowow said was slower than the S2000......

An RRC is, at worst, a match for an s2000.
Thats the problem with turbo cars: you take away the noise, you take away the sensation of speed (both inside & outside the car).

Still cant believe Kubica has turned down Citroen to be a privateer.
He must still be clinging on to the dream of being an F1 driver in 2014.....

Edited by kosmic33, 18 December 2012 - 13:56.

#168 MaGiK

MaGiK

• 202 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 00:40

Still cant believe Kubica has turned down Citroen to be a privateer
He must still be clinging on to the dream of being an F1 driver in 2014.....

How do you know he rejected Citroen? M-Sport deal isnt yet announced.
Besides its also possible that he cohld participate i ERC season in Fiesta plus couple of asphalt WRC rounds with Citroen.
Robert never intended to do full 2013 season in WRC, he said couple of months ago that hes too inexperienced to do that.

#169 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53

How do you know he rejected Citroen? M-Sport deal isnt yet announced.

He was offered a deal allowing him to compete in the WRC (i'm not sure how many rounds exactly) and help develop Citroens WTCC car.
It may have also included racing in the WTCC in 2014 so maybe thats what put him off.
They seemed fairly convinced he'd sign though.....

#170 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:19

HBS to produce World Rally Championship TV coverage

#171 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 18:58

HBS to produce World Rally Championship TV coverage

Well its certainly a start!

Now they've got 4 weeks (well 3 weeks and 6 days) to find some channels to broadcast it on!

#172 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:34

Its been a quiet couple of weeks for rallying but the ERC kicks off on Friday
15 s2000s with Kopecky, Bouffier, Delecour and I guess Raimund Baumschlager being the only established names (in s2000s)
Its hard to see past Kopecky for the win but at least Delecour is in a proper, latest spec Kronos car.
Will be interesting to see how Blomqvist go's - he might make Delecour look young but I doubt he's slowed down yet!

Go Francois!!!

Edited by kosmic33, 01 January 2013 - 12:36.

#173 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 13:18

Not a bad entry for this early in the year - most of the other ERC contenders will join the series later on.

I thought, Eurosport might make a bit of effort with their coverage of this event, the first of the new improved ERC. I just hope it's better than the non Live IRC coverage, which wasn't great.

#174 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:53

RT @planetemarcus: #WRC Michal Kosciuszko Mini Wrc livery for Monte Carlo [PHOTO] http://twitpic.com/brrglx
Posted Image

I don't like the guy, he just talks a lot, but I'm curious how will he do in Monte.

#175 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:59

Not a bad entry for this early in the year - most of the other ERC contenders will join the series later on.

I thought, Eurosport might make a bit of effort with their coverage of this event, the first of the new improved ERC. I just hope it's better than the non Live IRC coverage, which wasn't great.

No change by the looks of things.
1/2 hour day 1 highlights on friday night at 23:30
1/2 hour complete rally highlights (20 mins of day 1 and 5 mins of day 2 if they keep to their old format!) at 22:30 on saturday

#176 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12

http://www.fiaerc.co...ws/detail/id/39

Wow - at least 2 rounds with Live TV coverage.... :)

They're really spoiling us.

#177 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:33

So the Janner Rallye starts today.. list of entrants, schedule and live timing, where can I find it?

#178 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:05

http://www.jaennerra...at/en/home.html should be a good start

#179 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:15

Thanks!

Advertisement

#180 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 20:00

Shakedown times from Janner Rally
1 Jan Kopecký (CZE)/Pavel Dresler (CZE) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 1m11.3s
2 François Delecour (FRA)/Dominique Savignoni (FRA) Peugeot 207 S2000 +1.2s
3 Beppo Harrach (AUT)/Leopold Welserscheimb (AUT) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX R4 +1.7s
4 Pavel Valoušek (CZE)/Lukáš Kostka (CZE) Peugeot 207 S2000 +2.2s
5 Michal Sołowow (POL/Maciej Baran (POL) Peugeot 207 S2000 +2.8s
6 Václav Pech (CZE)/Petr Uhel (CZE) MINI John Cooper Works S2000 +3.1s
7 Bryan Bouffier (FRA)/Olivier Fournier (FRA) Peugeot 207 S2000 +3.4s
8 Raimund Baumschlager (AUT)/Klaus Wicha (GER) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 +3.9s
= Jan Černý (CZE)/Pavel Kohout (CZE) ŠKODA Fabia S2000 +3.9s
10 Martin Fischerlehner (AUT)/Tobias Unterweger (AUT) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX +4.6s

#181 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 223 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:04

Short footage from shakedown

#182 BRG

BRG

• 11,793 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:23

Most exciting car was the Quattro. Which may say something about rallying's current malaise.

#183 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:42

From merely looking at the times so I might be missing important info - this morning's start of the Janner Rally seems to have been a bit of tyre lottery which I guess was to be expected. Baumschlager was closing in on Kopecky's lead by huge chunks, but now the current live SS4 seems to be dry so the times are much closer, nevertheless he just managed to overtake him for 1st place.

Behind these 2 Skodas Czech driver Vaclav Pech is 3rd on the Mini - I didn't even know Mini had a S2000 version of the car - and Austrian Harrach Beppo is 4th posting great times on a Evo IX ahead of the remaining large pack of S2000s, led by Bouffier on the best Peugeot in 5th. Grandad Delecour is 8th and the other grandad Blomqvist is much further down in 16th in-between most other Evos.

#184 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 14:28

Beppo Harrach is amazing, just look at these onboards:

(More than 1 million views in about 2 months time)

Pech's Mini is the RRC version: WRC with less aero and different restrictor.

#185 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 15:44

Behind these 2 Skodas Czech driver Vaclav Pech is 3rd on the Mini - I didn't even know Mini had a S2000 version of the car

um.....
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/99563
:D

I'm looking forward to the highlights tonight to (hopefully) see what exactly was going on today.

Any chance Autosport could give the rally some coverage?
Its not like theres loads of other events on this weekend or anything.......

#186 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 16:16

um.....

I'm looking forward to the highlights tonight to (hopefully) see what exactly was going on today.

Any chance Autosport could give the rally some coverage?
Its not like theres loads of other events on this weekend or anything.......

The ERC organisers have been quick putting videos up on the series website.......which is promising - look forward to tonight and the highlights.

If Autosport aren't covering it, why would anybody else? Still doesn't explain the lack of coverage - though the latest 'F1 news' is probably more headline worthy.....

Ah, I've noticed on the homepage that the Dakar is the first major Motorsport event of the year - so what that makes the new ERC, is anybodys guess.

Edited by ArnageWRC, 04 January 2013 - 16:18.

#187 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:37

um.....

Oops. :blush: I didn't follow the IRC much last year and completely missed that at all.

It appears that after the morning's snow and some dry running afterwards, it's raining and wet now and it's Bouffier from miles back closing in on Kopecky's lead after Kopecky had retaken it from Baumschlager.

By the way I had no idea Baumschlager is 53, I'd never heard of him until recently. Seems he's a local legend with 10 national titles. It's fun when these local aces mix it up with the more well known international stars, in what other branch of motorsport do you see this happening these days? Bit of like the old pre-internet days when you'd see totally unknown drivers (to the common, not-obsessive fan) come up and fight for wins even in the WRC.

#188 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:17

By the way I had no idea Baumschlager is 53, I'd never heard of him until recently. Seems he's a local legend with 10 national titles. It's fun when these local aces mix it up with the more well known international stars, in what other branch of motorsport do you see this happening these days? Bit of like the old pre-internet days when you'd see totally unknown drivers (to the common, not-obsessive fan) come up and fight for wins even in the WRC.

holy crap!!!

I had no idea either!
His name is familiar and I just kinda assumed he'd done the jwrc a few years ago or something! :drunk:

#189 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 18:21

He did the BRC in 1999 as team mate to Mark Higgins in the blue Sony F2 Golf kit car.....

#190 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,920 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 20:59

Well, the weather is a bit different than what I expected, but I guess it's because I didn't check the forecasts :)

Baumschlager also seems familiar too me, but I have no idea why.

Nice to see Kajto (Kajetanowicz) leading his class and nice 6th in general. And Francois back!

I didn't even know Mini had a S2000 version of the car

It's a RRC I think.

BTW I found it by accident:

Edited by DrProzac, 04 January 2013 - 22:41.

#191 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 23:39

He did the BRC in 1999 as team mate to Mark Higgins in the blue Sony F2 Golf kit car.....

Good man - thats where I know him from.
One of my more worn out video tapes - proper rallying!

#192 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,920 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:01

Highlights from day one can be found on youtube.

#193 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,083 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:05

Quite a bit of drama; front left puncture for Delecour, a spin for Bouffier, losing 10-15 secs; and Kopecky having a front left puncture and losing time - drops to 3rd. Bouffier leads ahead of Baumschlager and Kopecky.

#194 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 14:15

Bouffier's gap to Kopecky just about 10 seconds now with just 1 stage to go. He already took a lot of time back so it is far from decided.

#195 EightGear

EightGear

• 423 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:35

Kopecky wins the rally with 0,5 to Bouffier!

#196 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:37

Kopecky wins by 0.5 of a second while Bouffier once again proves that he hasn't quite got it........

#197 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:44

Hehe! That was close. Nice way to start the season.

#198 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 15:48

Most exciting car was the Quattro. Which may say something about rallying's current malaise.

You say exciting, I say retarded......

But then again, I guess that as long as a car sounds good, it doesnt matter how its driven*

*The British Historic championship is a shining example - 3 maybe 4 reasonably well driven cars but because the whole field sounds good all the drivers must be going hard...... :rolleyes:

#199 BRG

BRG

• 11,793 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 19:06

Retarded? I didn't see any retardation at all there! Wrong tyres, on snow, downhill = not stopping until you hit something, which in the end it didn't, luckily.

But I was talking about the car, not the driver...

Advertisement

#200 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 21:36

No idea how reliable:
Valentín Pérez ‏@ValentinPrz

Basso, Rossetti, Kubica, Tänak, Breen o Wallenwein son algunos de los pilotos que se sumarían al #FIAERC en Rally Islas Canarias.