* * * * * 10 votes

Rally 2013

• Please log in to reply
2190 replies to this topic

#351 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:29

I can understand that they had teething problems the first day, but they should really have solved it by today. Annoying and, at times, even dangerous if there is an accident and they have problems to know where the cars relly are (like on Wednesday)

The biggest problem is indeed the safety issue and the fact that they had to remove those sensors from cars. And huge update, Latvala off and Novikov with 3 wheels. :eek:

Advertisement

#352 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:38

And the split times have gone mad... ):

They might be correct though - it is the Monte!

Gutted for Novikov

Looks like Loeb is gonna loose big time here (Edit: Or the split times are way off lol)
His time is 9 minutes slower than the fastest last year so it must be really tricky

Edited by kosmic33, 19 January 2013 - 14:43.

#353 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:40

They might be correct though - it is the Monte!

Gutted for Novikov

Looks like Loeb is gonna loose big time here

After hearing Loebs comments, they might actually be right. :lol:

#354 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:41

'une spéciele de merde' Nice description of the stage :lol:
I hope he doesn't get into trouble with the FIA for swearing.

#355 sergeym

sergeym

• 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:43

Real shame for Novikov :(

#356 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:44

Real shame for Novikov :(

He has now stopped...

#357 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:49

Big big shame about Novikov and JML... Hirvonen up to 4th now while he is driving like sh*t. :/

#358 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:54

Hänninen is stopped too :(

#359 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:56

Unbelievable stuff. And now they drove in the light, two more runs in the dark and also possibly freezing conditions. This rally can still be won by anyone.

Advertisement

#360 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 14:59

Hirvonen up to 4th now while he is driving like sh*t. :/

Story of his career

#361 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:19

Novikov
Posted Image

Anyone else listening to Rally Radio?
You know Turini really was an interesting experience for them when the drivers are all still talking about it at the end of the next stage!

#362 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:21

Novikov
Posted Image

You know Turini really was an interesting experience for them when the drivers are all still talking about it at the end of the next stage!

Just imagine if the wet slush on the Turini starts to freeze... :drunk:

#363 sergeym

sergeym

• 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:22

Just imagine if the wet slush on the Turini starts to freeze... :drunk:

I think everybody will take it easy after what happened to Novikov and JML.... Everybody looks secure at their position, no point in taking risks.

#364 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:23

Yes! I noticed that too, they kept on talking about the Turini. :lol:

Loeb was swearing after Turini: "It was shit" and "Conditions de merde!"

Best of all was Burri:

"C'est pas du rallye, on va moins vite qu'en reconnaissance!" And then George Donaldson asked to reply in English: "Shit, shit shit!" :up:

Edited by EightGear, 19 January 2013 - 15:24.

#365 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:25

I think everybody will take it easy after what happened to Novikov and JML.... Everybody looks secure at their position, no point in taking risks.

But I'm not sure how easy it is to "take it easy", after hearing the comments about the conditions I think you could just slide to the wall at walking pace and bend a wheel. It is just that tricky.

#366 sergeym

sergeym

• 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 15:53

After looking at photos I think Novikov overestimated grip levels, braked too late, went wide and hit barrier with his wheel.

Edited by sergeym, 19 January 2013 - 15:53.

#367 sergeym

sergeym

• 531 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 16:51

Latvala

Posted Image

#368 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 17:14

Problems for Mads?

E: He touched something, got a puncture and also broke the suspension.

Edited by skywing, 19 January 2013 - 17:20.

#369 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 1,897 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 17:25

Poor Novikov..

BTW am I the only one missing Peter?

#370 EightGear

EightGear

• 415 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 17:26

Ostberg still running, problems with rear brakes but they head for service now.

#371 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 17:40

The greatest driver (in any discipline) in history looks set to win the oldest rally in the world in the toughest conditions of his entire career at his last attempt and you hope his car breaks down....... :rolleyes:

Incredible performance.
Again.
Citroens rally team will be absolutely lost without him

I'm not questioning Loeb's achievements nor his level of performance but I am however questioning Loeb's presence in the WRC season opener when he's only taking part in four rallies. His presence here is nothing but a shadow hanging over the other drivers, the ones involved in the actual 2013 WDC battle.

#372 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 17:47

I don't see anything wrong with that
It's not the first time a driver don't run full season and still win some rallyes

#373 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 18:54

I don't see anything wrong with that
It's not the first time a driver don't run full season and still win some rallyes

Well, I know it's not an uncommon practice in the world of rallying but there are drivers and then there's Loeb. Imagine a multiple WDC in F1 doing the same, like if Schumacher had participated in four races in 2007 and had won the season opener. It would have only diminished the championship. That's how I see Loeb's four rally long WRC fade out. It does not add anything to this year's WDC battle and that's what it should all be about it imho.

#374 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 427 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:00

Looks like all the drivers are sh*t scared of going through Turini again for the penultimate stage :lol:
Anything can still happen with such a treacherous twist in the tail of the Monte.Even Loeb could crash out!

#375 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,578 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:10

I'm not questioning Loeb's achievements nor his level of performance but I am however questioning Loeb's presence in the WRC season opener when he's only taking part in four rallies. His presence here is nothing but a shadow hanging over the other drivers, the ones involved in the actual 2013 WDC battle.

It's not his job to worry about the feelings of the other drivers. He's won everything there was to win, and is a bit tired but still wants to do the occasional rally instead of retiring for good. What's wrong with that? If anything it shows a competitive spirit.

If he's still quicker than the rest, the problem is on the rest not him. Looking at the way 50yo+ Delecour, Baumschlager, and to a lesser extent Blomqvist were still performing in the ERC opener - admittedly a much lower level - I don't think it's inconceivable he could do one-offs for next 4, 5 years and still humble the rest of the pack. Okay, at the moment it's as if he hasn't retired at all yet because he hasn't had any time off to lose any rhythm, so in 2 or 3 years time a loss of pace should be inevitable, but the man is just freakish...

Edited by noikeee, 19 January 2013 - 19:11.

#376 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:18

More pics of Latvala picking up where he left off at ford
Posted Image
Posted Image
And to think, when 18 year old Jari-Matti started out in the brc, crashing in 6 of the 7 rounds (he won the last one) we all thought "when this lad stops crashing he'll be something else"..........

#377 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,578 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:21

It was 3 shunts from 3 different guys in the early kms of the same stage, admittedly 2 of them were Latvala and Novikov - not exactly the most reliable drivers - but I'd be a bit lenient on this one, clearly the conditions were strange...

#378 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:39

they won't run the 2 last stages, too many spectators
no power stage for monte carlo either then

#379 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,746 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:45

Crap! Stages with these conditions are so great! You can earn so much, but at the same time, loose even more!

Advertisement

#380 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 817 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:49

Ogier :up:

"Ford" needs to improve their drivers

and Citroën is really going to miss Loeb (and Ogier)

#381 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 19:59

It was 3 shunts from 3 different guys in the early kms of the same stage, admittedly 2 of them were Latvala and Novikov - not exactly the most reliable drivers - but I'd be a bit lenient on this one, clearly the conditions were strange...

He still pulled 3 wheels off it....
Ogier effectively leads the championship and I cant see anyone displacing him.

Novokov will certainly be entertaining for the rest of the year and seems to fast becoming a fans favourite - probably something to do with his McRae style of driving!

#382 Mikael

Mikael

• 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:06

I've said this before, but French just can't organize rally. Who can count how many stages they have cancelled during the years because of the stewards can't keep the discipline among the spectators. It would have been thrilling end of the rally. I'm sad. Pity for the competitors.

#383 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:12

It's not his job to worry about the feelings of the other drivers. He's won everything there was to win, and is a bit tired but still wants to do the occasional rally instead of retiring for good. What's wrong with that? If anything it shows a competitive spirit.

If he's still quicker than the rest, the problem is on the rest not him. Looking at the way 50yo+ Delecour, Baumschlager, and to a lesser extent Blomqvist were still performing in the ERC opener - admittedly a much lower level - I don't think it's inconceivable he could do one-offs for next 4, 5 years and still humble the rest of the pack. Okay, at the moment it's as if he hasn't retired at all yet because he hasn't had any time off to lose any rhythm, so in 2 or 3 years time a loss of pace should be inevitable, but the man is just freakish...

Of course, the problem is the rest of drivers and not Loeb, but the last thing the championship needs is something (not somebody, this all is not Loeb's fault) that shows the championship "might" not be worth it because the drivers are not good enough to be considered "deserving" (man! how I hate that word) world champions.

In my case, I love to see him driving. I've enjoyed him a lot in the Monte Carlo and I'm very happy he won, but I can see it can be difficult for a championship fighting for survival having a pensioner showing that the title contenders are not good enough (not really true, but that's how some people could consider it).

For me, it makes no difference, or maybe it does: I enjoy the rallies with Loeb there. But how would it look from the point of view of a 17-years-old watching WRC for the first time in his/her life? Would it be worth it to keep on fighting trying to find a place to watch the highlights of the next rally?

PS. I give up on Latvala

Edited by artista, 19 January 2013 - 20:13.

#384 tormave

tormave

• 949 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:54

Aren't they running Turini for the third time or has the live timing stopped even registering the starts?

EDIT: man, the TV coverage is abysmal - I'm watching the latest highlights sow of the final day and the start showing today's events after 17 mins of the 29 minute show

EDIT2: there' no TV footage from Turini, so today's highlights show contains no actual rally footage whatsoever from today's stages. As the two last stages were cancelled, we have a winner in Loeb. **** what a farce. Hänninen's co-driver said that there was zero grip outside the racing line in Turini and that on the line max speed was 10 km/h.

Edited by tormave, 19 January 2013 - 21:17.

#385 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:55

Aren't they running Turini for he third time or has the live timing stopped even registering the starts?

scroll up a bit, the rally is over :)

#386 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:03

Ok. Just give the 10th trophy to Loeb and all the other guys will run the entire championship for the 2nd place. I can't believe how Loeb is so better than the other drivers.
I'll not be surprised it he will win all 4 rallies that he will enter this year.

Loeb is just supreme. Even Ogier is not close to him....

:love:

#387 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:36

Ok. Just give the 10th trophy to Loeb and all the other guys will run the entire championship for the 2nd place. I can't believe how Loeb is so better than the other drivers.
I'll not be surprised it he will win all 4 rallies that he will enter this year.

Loeb is just supreme. Even Ogier is not close to him....

:love:

I think thats a little harsh, Ogier pushed him very hard in 2011 when they were team mates, he just lost his head with all the politics. As far as i can see he's a step above the rest of the full timers and providing the car is solid and reliable i think he got the best chance to win the championship.

#388 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:48

Ogier would be stupid, if taking the fight to Loeb under this conditions in the new Polo. Loeb is no threat for the WDC.

Edited by seahawk, 20 January 2013 - 11:18.

#389 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,884 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54

Loeb is no threat for the WDC.

Just going to let this statement sink in for a while...

#390 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:55

JML's crash - https://www.facebook...9...e=2

Bet he had a few bumps and bruises after that!

#391 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:03

JML's crash - https://www.facebook...9...e=2

Bet he had a few bumps and bruises after that!

Ouch. That didn't seem like a gross driver error either, he just had no grip.

#392 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:49

Day 4 highlights -

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

The lack of grip on the Col De Turini is ridiculous!

#393 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 15:47

Of course, the problem is the rest of drivers and not Loeb, but the last thing the championship needs is something (not somebody, this all is not Loeb's fault) that shows the championship "might" not be worth it because the drivers are not good enough to be considered "deserving" (man! how I hate that word) world champions.

In my case, I love to see him driving. I've enjoyed him a lot in the Monte Carlo and I'm very happy he won, but I can see it can be difficult for a championship fighting for survival having a pensioner showing that the title contenders are not good enough (not really true, but that's how some people could consider it).

For me, it makes no difference, or maybe it does: I enjoy the rallies with Loeb there. But how would it look from the point of view of a 17-years-old watching WRC for the first time in his/her life? Would it be worth it to keep on fighting trying to find a place to watch the highlights of the next rally?

PS. I give up on Latvala

Undeserving world champion.....
It's never done F1 any harm.

And anyway, Ogier is more than capable of matching Loeb and will deserve his world championship.

#394 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,546 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:50

Aren't they running Turini for the third time or has the live timing stopped even registering the starts?

EDIT: man, the TV coverage is abysmal - I'm watching the latest highlights sow of the final day and the start showing today's events after 17 mins of the 29 minute show

EDIT2: there' no TV footage from Turini, so today's highlights show contains no actual rally footage whatsoever from today's stages. As the two last stages were cancelled, we have a winner in Loeb. **** what a farce. Hänninen's co-driver said that there was zero grip outside the racing line in Turini and that on the line max speed was 10 km/h.

What are you talking about???
I've watched the official coverage; theres 2 minutes recapping what happened in the past 3 days, there were cameras on the Col De Turini stage, including one at the Col itself.

Why is it a farce?
They cancelled the last 2 stages because there were tens of thousands of spectators cars blocking the roads. And lets not forget that this week had some of the worst weather ever seen on the Monte. Only loosing 2 stages was probably an achievement.....

#395 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 427 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:05

Undeserving world champion.....
It's never done F1 any harm.

And anyway, Ogier is more than capable of matching Loeb and will deserve his world championship.

:up: agree.
Ogier more than matched Latvala who is anything but slow!

Plus we don't have a clear picture of how fast the New VW Polo R is compared to the Citroen DS3 which has atleast 10 times more miles done in developement than the VW!
Ogier was punching above his weight as usual like a champ.

#396 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 17:44

:up: agree.
Ogier more than matched Latvala who is anything but slow!

Plus we don't have a clear picture of how fast the New VW Polo R is compared to the Citroen DS3 which has atleast 10 times more miles done in developement than the VW!
Ogier was punching above his weight as usual like a champ.

I'll wait some rallies to see how the difference between Latvala & Ogier actually are. Ogier was with the team the whole last year, he's tested over 20,000km in the Polo. While Latvala got 2,000km.

#397 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 17:46

I'll wait some rallies to see how the difference between Latvala & Ogier actually are. Ogier was with the team the whole last year, he's tested over 20,000km in the Polo. While Latvala got 2,000km.

This and the fact that the Monte is the most specialised event in the calender. In Sweden we will see better how JML gets going and more importantly, the true pace of the Polo.

#398 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 427 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:45

Ogier didn't test the whole 20.000.Carlos Sainz and other drivers were deeply involved in the testing, but for sure Ogier has done atleast 4 times more testing.than Latvala
My whole point wasn't to denegrate Jari Matti but was more about the fact that Citroen have a massive head start in years of developement of the DS3 compared to VW therefore Loebs win in Monte Carlo doesn't prove he's better than Ogier.

#399 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 427 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:52

This and the fact that the Monte is the most speacialised event in the calender. In Sweden we will see better how JML gets going and more importantly, the true pace of the Polo.

Latvala is good in the snow,but like you said about the Monte.Sweden is a specialised event too.The only pure snow rally(or gravel-snow unlike the tarmac/snow of Monte)Then Mexico at high altitude giving some engines an advantage over others is also speacialised.Id wait till Portugal to see what the VW is really like

Advertisement

#400 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,578 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:12

Here's a pretty spectacular video from this year's Monte with many incidents that I hadn't heard of, and lots and lots of sideways cornering and close escapes from the walls: