- - - - -

The Hungarian, the German or the British GP

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 22:12

So next summer I am going to have a chance to go and see my first Formula 1 race ever and these three races are within the window of when I am going to be able to do it (well, Canadian GP too, but going that far might be a bit of a stretch), so I thought I'd do the easy thing and ask if people who have experience can tell me which race might be the best choice in terms of getting there and away as easily as possible, getting good seats (value for money) and all that.

Any help and tips would be appreciated. I know I'm early, but you know, it's a big thing for me, cause I've never been to any kind of motor sport event outside Finland, ever. I will be going in a group of three people, all first-timers to an F1 event.

Advertisement

#2 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 19:37

I don't know which (and why) is the better-but I am sure:The Hungarian GP is about Finnish GP-we love the Finnish people and anything... ;)

#3 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 16:09

Well I've got no experience for these three races whatsoever, but from what I've heard and read about prices, locations etc. I think Hungary would be the best choice of the three, plus you'll get the chance to visit Budapest which is a great city. Hockenheim and Silverstone are more or less in the middle of nowhere plus in Silverstone there's a big chance of piss weather. And lastly, Hungaroring is really a no-brainer if you're a Finn, isn't it ;) ?

Edited by Jovanotti, 07 December 2012 - 16:18.

#4 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 17:32

Visiting Budapest is a good idea. And I do know that Hungaroring is the closest, too so it is probably the pick with least hassle to go with. Seems to be the most likely choice for us too, cheers.

#5 BrendanMcF

BrendanMcF

• 542 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 19:20

I have been to all three races and would say the best value and most fun would be in Budapest. I was in the Silver grandstand at the last corner a few years ago, cost wasn't horrendous, and the view was pretty good. The city comes alive a GP weekend, and if you like a good party, there are a couple of open air clubs next to Rákóczi Bridge that are open until dawn, ask your Taxi diver for Zöld Pardon. You won't regret it.

#6 f1madmatt

f1madmatt

• 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:55

Hi, I've been to Melbourne,Sepang,Montreal,Barcelona and Budapest.

I went to Budapest this season. The flights were quite cheap with Ryanair from Birmingham. I bought gold tickets for the race, but I think general admission 3 day ticket was about £120 . They had the driver signing session on the thursday. The circuit is easily reachable by the train fron the city centre. 20 minutes on the train, plus a 25 minute walk from the station. Budapest is an amazing city, and it's cheap !

I went to Montreal in 2008. The flights have gone up a lot since I went, but it was an amzing experience, it's more of a festival than a race.

Barcelona is a really cheap race to go to. £60 return flights. 4 euro return train ticket to the circuit from barcelona city centre. It actually worked out cheaper than going to Silverstone :p

#7 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 18:18

Budapest is a fantastic city and it is incredibly easy to get to the circuit. Also, don't forget they have the open pitlane on Thursday evening so good for autographs and seeing pitstop practice up close. I would recommend it over Silverstone for just those reasons. However, the race might not be so good, and I cannot comment on Germany at all.

Give yourself a few days either side to enjoy Budapest and remember to schedule a visit to Szechenyi Furdo and also the Great Market Hall to enjoy a langos bread which is shockingly unhealthy and yet...

#8 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:27

Well Gentlemen!I(We) say thank you for these honourific words very nicely towards us!I can recommend all this only what was written down and many opportunities are found in our little country onto recreation!If there are a some kind of request, a question, a program for somebody possibly opportunity,let him write to me then valiantly for accomodation!!

Edited by sramoa, 14 December 2012 - 19:28.

#9 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 13:58

Right now I'm just trying to figure out what the best seats would be. I am lucky enough to not be paying for the ticket so the prize is not a main concern (at least for me), but I would of course like to know what might be the best value for money... There are quite a few choices.

#10 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:33

At which circuit?

#11 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:22

Hungaroring. I looked at some review sites and think we got good tickets now. Cheers for all here for help too.

#12 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:31

End of the pit straight sees a lot of action, obviously, because of the first corner carnage and it's the end of the DRS zone. Also, you get to see the pit exit so something interesting will usually happen. I believe that if you are just on the apex of the last corner, you get to see a lot of the circuit.

#13 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 17:35

Yes, I heard the same things. Chose the seats at the first corner.

#14 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 22:11

Watch out for the Finns!

You're at the corner which is furthest away from the train station. It's still walkable, but not fun in the heat. Budget for and arrange cabs from your hotel and aim to fill the car each way. You can do the free bus from the centre of Budapest but that drops you off at a town about twice as far from turn 5 as that corner is from turn 1. Also, the grandstand isn't covered, and it gets hot. Or wet. Don't underestimate quite how hot it will be.

#15 f1madmatt

f1madmatt

• 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 13:12

I sat on the final corner, level with the DRS opening point and the last few rows of the grid. Like the previous poster said, turn 1 is the furthest point from the railway station

#16 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 17:36

And don't forget to be there on Thursday afternoon for the pitwalk and autograph signing sesh. Be there early because it's popular.

#17 nc6

nc6

• 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:00

Im trying to decide between Belgium and Hungary this year, can anyone give some advise ?
The way i see it is that Hungary is the cheaper, more fun option but some the circuit isnt the best although we do get some good races
Belgium just seems the ultimate for the race, seeing the cars stretch their legs, but more expensive
Is it difficult to access Spa ? We would be staying in hotels for both options

#18 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:33

I went to Spa, camped, it was great. I'm going to Budapest this year, staying in an aprtment in the city, should be a different kind of experience.

We also have tickets for the first corner