Photo

Perez: "My target is to win the championship already next year"

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Perez in 2013 with Mclaren (269 member(s) have cast votes)

Will he match Hamilton's Qualifying pace

1. yes (16 votes [5.95%])

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

2. no (212 votes [78.81%])

Percentage of vote: 78.81%

3. we'll have to see (41 votes [15.24%])

Percentage of vote: 15.24%

will he buckle under pressure and make mistakes like end of 2012

1. yes (137 votes [50.93%])

Percentage of vote: 50.93%

2. no (44 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. We'll have to see (88 votes [32.71%])

Percentage of vote: 32.71%

Will he outscore and outspeed button

1. yes (39 votes [14.50%])

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

2. no (148 votes [55.02%])

Percentage of vote: 55.02%

3. time will tell (82 votes [30.48%])

Percentage of vote: 30.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:29

Perez expects title in first year at McLaren - EspnF1

Regards to Expectations for 2013

"I think expectations in terms of result, my targets is to win titles with them and to win the championship already next year," he said. "That takes a lot of work during the season so it's very important to start very well my preparations with them and try to reach their targets.

"This year they have had many reliability issues and if they solved that they would have been fighting for the title. So I think it's realistic what I'm saying and the team is capable of putting together a very strong car. The target has to be always high - it's the way we have to think and McLaren wants to win every race."

Regards to Added Pressure of being in a team like Mclaren

"When you are in the best team you are always on the radar," he said. "When you are doing well you are the hero and when you are doing bad you are the worst one. It's kind of getting used to that, but I'm used to it already at Sauber because I remember when I did a podium I was a superstar and when I didn't do well I was a very bad driver who is always doing mistakes. The most important thing is to focus on the winter and try to make a very good connection with the team early in January and then be able to fight from the first race onwards."

Regards to Bad spell after signing Mclaren Contract

"Here in Formula One they like to make stories about everything so they linked it to my [McLaren] contract," he said. "But it has nothing to do with it because I'm a professional driver, a very loyal person and I'm very grateful to the team [Sauber]."

Edited by eronrules, 04 December 2012 - 11:47.

Advertisement

#2 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,467 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:34

Perez: "My target is to win the championship already next year

Dead right.

Perez expects title in first year at McLaren - EspnF1

That is not what he says in the article.

#3 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:35

Perez: "My target is to win the championship already next year

Dead right.

That is not what he says in the article.

that's the title of the EspnF1 article, visit the link

#4 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:42

Then they're wrong.

#5 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,467 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:47

Fair enough, you are right but it does not seem to reflect the quotes in the article. Anyway, I think the attitude he expressed is the correct one, of course, and at minimum he has a great chance of winning his first GP.

#6 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:05

and rightly so, if you're a McLaren driver you can't settle for anything less.

#7 XOR

XOR

• 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:22

Perez expects title in first year at McLaren

joke of the month.

#8 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,550 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:23

Do we need a thread on anything anyone ever says? Pretty routine stuff - driver says he wants to win, not exactly surprising is it?

#9 Arry2k

Arry2k

• 424 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:24

Lofty ambitions from the young Mexican, but on the basis of what we have seen from him so far I think he is getting ideas above his station (at this stage) IMO. That said as another poster in one of the other threads said, we will have no idea how well he will drive, or compare to Button for that matter, until he parks his posterior in the McLaren next year.

#10 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:43

He should win races next year, I think this year he'd been shielded by his cars performance. When he did well in 2012 he seemed to get the credit (not the car or the strategy) but when he did less well no one seemed to notice. Once he was signed by McLaren then people started paying attention when he had off days.

#11 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,193 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:53

i think he can win races from the start of the year and chalenge for the championship if his luck changes for the better....this year he was maldonadod and grosjeaned to many times...

#12 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:04

He wants to win in McLaren?! Woah, thread worthy!!!

#13 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,326 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:11

I'm sure he's quicker than Button, but his lack of experience will not show that in points. I'm predicting a similar scenario as McLaren had in 2002 with Raikkonen and Coulthard. PĂ©rez will show flashes of being better than Button, but at the end of the season Button will edge him in points. 2014 will be the graduate year for PĂ©rez.

#14 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:14

maybe not impossible with those 2013 jelly pirelli

#15 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 1,841 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:17

1) Will he match Hamilton's Qualifying pace
- yes
- no
- we'll have to see

2) will he buckle under pressure and make mistakes like end of 2012
- yes
- no
- We'll have to see

3) Will he outscore and outspeed button
- yes
- no
- time will tell

1) He and Hamilton aren't driving the same car, so it is impossible to know.
2) He will make mistakes, but that doesn't mean he is buckling under the pressure.
3) First of all that is two questions.
3a) I doubt he'll outscore Button for the season.
3b) Oh, two more questions
3b1) Qualifying - Yes
3b2) Race - No

#16 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:24

That's the only target you can have driving for McLaren.

#17 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 21:25

I'm sure he's quicker than Button, but his lack of experience will not show that in points. I'm predicting a similar scenario as McLaren had in 2002 with Raikkonen and Coulthard. PĂ©rez will show flashes of being better than Button, but at the end of the season Button will edge him in points. 2014 will be the graduate year for PĂ©rez.

Exactly, and I can see more parallels between Perez and the young Räikkönen. Also Kimi seemed to get a bit distracted after he knew he would be driving for McLaren the following season, thus I can't understand those who voted that he will still make so many mistakes next year. I don't consider him in the league of Räikkönen, but the guy is a really good one.

#18 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:24

That's the only target you can have driving for McLaren.

Agree but he's still an unknown quantity. So he should target a GP win first.

#19 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:46

You know he is pretty much a rookie. So whatever he says cut him some slack, the thread is so lame.

Advertisement

#20 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,175 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:50

Attaboy!

#21 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57

F1 drivers aren´t known for having small egos.

#22 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:09

It would be like 2002 with Button instead of Coulthard and Perez instead of Kimi. Among all drivers, Perez is most similar to Kimi.

#23 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:24

It would be like 2002 with Button instead of Coulthard and Perez instead of Kimi. Among all drivers, Perez is most similar to Kimi.

Really? I have not got that impression of him at all.

It remains to be seen how he will do, but at Mclaren your target should be no less than winning. That said, I'm sure Button will beat him.

#24 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:40

How can one vote in that pole? Can't one leave out the reasoning? Will he make mistakes because he is only going to be a year 3 driver? Yes, but not necessarily due to buckling under pressure. Will he outscore Button? Sometimes - on the year...have to wait and see. Same with matching Hamilton.

Perez is fast as hell, he is clearly going to surprise a lot of people. But younger drivers - remember Hamilton/Vettel most recently - make mistakes. The more experienced will make fewer mistakes. So you have to figure Perez will not suddenly become a 10 year driver next year.

He is fantastic and will do McLaren proud. I can't wait. GO CHECO!! :up:

#25 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:04

Big ambitions, but I really cannot see it happening.

#26 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:09

I am not a racer, a world foreign to me, but over the years listening to them it safe to say, that modesty is not one of words in their vocabulary. I thought that perhaps him winning WDC of 2013 first, and then saying that “it was my goal since I signed on a dotted line”, would have little more punch.

Edited by Sakae, 04 December 2012 - 06:10.

#27 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:13

EspnF1 is the old F1-live.com right? Therefore more of a gossip rag ;)

#28 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:13

I would like to see it, but the question really is can McLaren out Newey, Newey?

#29 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:26

Perez will not come even close to Button. He is dreaming if he believes that Perez will win WDC the next year.

Perez is a new DC, this is my year, just that he talks more directly that he will win WDC The Next Year.

Perhaps Mclaren politic to make them say that.

#30 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32

Its good that he has the determination and the confidence. I don't think he should be mocked for that because its a good trait to have as an F1 driver.

However I can't see him winning the WDC next year or matching what Hamilton did. It'll be a transition year where hopefully he'll win a race and score decent points, but behind Button IMO.

#31 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34

I have this odd feeling that Perez wil lwin a race or two, but not meeting the goal he set himself with. Mclaren Car has the pace to do it.

#32 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:42

Dream on.
He will be lucky if he can finish ahead of Lewis in the WDC standing next season.

#33 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,400 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51

Nothing wrong with ambition!  ;)

#34 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,215 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51

McLaren have won races every year since 2007 (or 1997 with the exception of 2006), so to win a race would be the bare minimum requirement for any driver signing for them. From winning races to winning the title isn't a gigantic leap. Also whilst lack of experience will hinder him, he knows if he underperforms in the first season he won't get that much slack. Time will help him develop but he needs to be rather quick from the first race, that's how things work in F1, particularly when you're not a rookie, you're on your 3rd season.

It's a slightly ambitious but reasonable target to set for yourself in his position. Do I think he'll come even near reaching it? No. But I would expect him winning a race. I think he'll turn out to be a quick driver, but not consistent enough to ever be considered on the same level as the big guys. Best case scenario he's the next Button. Worst case the new Kovalainen.

#35 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:55

Can't see Perez beating Button over a season.
He looks a decent, racing winning prospect but not class apart as the future stars tend to do.

#36 toroRosso

toroRosso

• 352 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:25

Perez is a huge mystery to me. I saw the races, he went fast in a drying track with clearly a capable car and screwed up even harder during the season. Get's picked up in a Mclaren to fill in big shoes. Kovalainen 07' was much more impressing to me. We won't be seeing the Mclarens full potential to the least with their drivers. They needed atleast Raikkonen back.

#37 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,215 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:36

Perez is a huge mystery to me. I saw the races, he went fast in a drying track with clearly a capable car and screwed up even harder during the season. Get's picked up in a Mclaren to fill in big shoes. Kovalainen 07' was much more impressing to me.

Definitely not for me. It's gone completely forgotten by now, but I distinctly remember Kova's first half of the season then, he was so poor and so mistake-prone people were calling for him to be sacked. Then he lucked into a podium in an attriction-packed race in Canada and that seemed to sort his head a bit. From there onwards he showed a very small but consistent edge of pace over Fisichella and grabbed a few strong points finishes, it was still very clear by comparison that he was not the next Alonso though!

Contrast that with PĂ©rez almost winning the race in a wet Sepang, blitzing through the field in Monza with a different strategy to come 2nd too, and being the only driver in the whole grid to make a one-stop strategy work in his debut race. He's not as consistent as Kova'07 but definitely has had higher highs of potential.

#38 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,193 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:38

he is not consistent because of maldonado and grosjean...his only notable mistake was in japan...and that was while attacking...

#39 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:24

That's the spirit, I like enthusiastic characters like that :up:

In reality a win (or 2) and a couple of good podiums would already be quite OK for 2013
That and learning from Jenson Button, while ironing out mistakes would be the perfect year for him.

Advertisement

#40 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:54

He is just ambitious. Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck for 2013, Sergio. :wave:

#41 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:08

I see nothing wrong with a driver heading to McLaren showing ambition. In fact i would be more concerned if he was not aiming for the title.

#42 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:19

I see nothing wrong with a driver heading to McLaren showing ambition. In fact i would be more concerned if he was not aiming for the title.

But not at the expense of showing dis respect to seniors.

If title is within reach in the McLaren Button should have first shot at it. Isnt it?

#43 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:25

If title is within reach in the McLaren Button should have first shot at it. Isnt it?

No, your aim is always to beat your team mate especially if the team has an equality policy. Pretty sure Vettel was trying to beat Webber from the start. Same with Hamilton/Alonso and many others.

If you're driving for a team like McLaren you should definitely be trying to win the championship.

Edited by bub, 04 December 2012 - 12:39.

#44 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:39

Good that the guy is ambitious, Thats the only right spirit if you want to be a champion some day.

But really, I do not see any similarities between Kimi and Perez.

#45 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43

aside from coming from Sauber to mclaren, there isn't any similarities. i'd say perez is more akin to Alonso's early carrier than kimi's. he has a latin flare similar to alonso's.

#46 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,303 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43

What an odd logic. By the same token, Hamilton should have stood aside for Button as the older more experienced driver of the pair. Im a JB fan and theres no way that should be expected. Perez must fight and fight hard.

As for the comment by Perez itself - standard fayre for a person joining a top team. Not sure what the fuss is about. Im glad he is going in with that attitude.

Edited by Burtros, 04 December 2012 - 12:44.

#47 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:53

What an odd logic. By the same token, Hamilton should have stood aside for Button as the older more experienced driver of the pair. Im a JB fan and theres no way that should be expected. Perez must fight and fight hard.

As for the comment by Perez itself - standard fayre for a person joining a top team. Not sure what the fuss is about. Im glad he is going in with that attitude.

No - whoever spends more time with the team is senior. Its no old age charity that you can claim seniority by virtue of age. :)

I was only kidding dude - Very poor with sarc portayal

#48 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:35

Oh I so want it to happen ... It would be amazing!

#49 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:55

:up:

Perhaps some people would have preferred - "I'm hoping to qualify in the top ten in some races and maybe get a couple of points by the end of the year with the multi-title winning McLaren team"

#50 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:05

He is going with the right attitude, the track will put him in his place, behind or in front of Button that's yet to be seen.