Photo

Jenson Button voted British Competition Driver of the Year [split]

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#51 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 574 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:41

A shortlist of drivers is published in the magazine, then the Autosport readers vote for the winners. Nothing to do with recent race results, biased judges or anything like that, it's entirely down to who the public think is best.

As it's based on popularity, personally I'm once again disappointed that drivers who have achieved more have lost out to F1 drivers.

Thanks. I echo your sentiments. Sebastian Loeb not winning international driver of the year illustrates your point perfectly.

Edited by MrPodium, 03 December 2012 - 08:41.

Advertisement

#52 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,133 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:42

I was also suprised that Jenson got it to be honest because as someone said above there was someone nominated in the same category that won his series. But it's who the Autosport readers voted for. There's no reason trying to find out about the criteria, these things are mostly down to popularity and personal choice. Hamilton has been excellent this year. There's no reason to get so annoyed over this.

#53 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52

Thanks. I echo your sentiments. Sebastian Loeb not winning international driver of the year illustrates your point perfectly.

They don't have driver of the year award for International Driver of the Year. They do have International Racing Driver Award and International Rally Driver Award (which Loeb won it 7 times). I think the International Racing Driver Award is for open wheel competition only (or maybe the voter just think it that way... or maybe the option presented from autosport only came from open wheel categories. I don't really know since I'm not following this award).

Edited by Rurouni, 03 December 2012 - 08:55.

#54 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:56

In a year where Lewis and Jenson have been quite far apart in terms of performance, its a weird choice.

I'm guessing the award isn't taking into account performance ontrack overall and relative performance compared to other British drivers? I know its not exclusive to Formula One, but Hamilton has been a far superior driver to Button all year.

#55 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,866 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:57

I was also suprised that Jenson got it to be honest because as someone said above there was someone nominated in the same category that won his series. But it's who the Autosport readers voted for. There's no reason trying to find out about the criteria, these things are mostly down to popularity and personal choice. Hamilton has been excellent this year. There's no reason to get so annoyed over this.

<rage>What is this? Some kind of popularity contest?!</rage>

Errmm..yes.

#56 pliskinrob

pliskinrob

• 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:00

Very disappointed to see this. Especially when people were hailing Lewis Hamilton as the man to overhaul Alonso's championship lead before he was hit with various unreliability problems out of his control after Singapore.

#57 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:01

I'm not annoyed about it in reality, congratulations to Jenson for getting it, I just thought it was strange.

I think it sends out the wrong message and affects the credibility of the award when its purely a popularity contest. I had no problem with Jenson winning it in 2011 as he was the most consistent and best British driver in F1. This year Hamilton has driven arguably his best season and has put Jenson in the shade for much of the year, only for the gap between them to be brought closer through misfortune. Ability wise, Lewis has been excellent this year and Jenson has struggled. He's even admitted its been a tough year and his performance has been poor overall.

#58 as65p

as65p

• 17,352 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:08

In a year where Lewis and Jenson have been quite far apart in terms of performance, its a weird choice.

I'm guessing the award isn't taking into account performance ontrack overall and relative performance compared to other British drivers? I know its not exclusive to Formula One, but Hamilton has been a far superior driver to Button all year.

Sounds like voters failed to appreciate the various variants of "Lewis' list of misfortunes" which are so popular here on the board.

#59 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:13

Sounds like voters failed to appreciate the various variants of "Lewis' list of misfortunes" which are so popular here on the board.

Seems so.

Advertisement

#60 Rob

Rob

• 8,197 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:17

It does seem strange. Even if you ignore Lewis, Rob Huff became the WTCC champion and surely that merits the award more than Button's season?

#61 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27

It does seem strange. Even if you ignore Lewis, Rob Huff became the WTCC champion and surely that merits the award more than Button's season?

Indeed, its not exclusive to Formula One so to pick a driver who is British but outclassed in his series by another British driver is nuts. Then again its readers votes so doesn't really carry any form of complex analysis. Rob Huff is obscure to most people voting I would imagine so it'll always be a popularity contest in the most popular form of motorsport.

#62 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:45

. Then again its readers votes so doesn't really carry any form of complex analysis. Rob Huff is obscure to most people voting I would imagine so it'll always be a popularity contest in the most popular form of motorsport.

I understand the thought, and I don't know on what criteria the readers voted. However you have to bear in mind that because of the inherent "Chevrolet" superiority of the past 3 years, he (Huff) only had in effect 2 other contestants to drive against (his teammates).

Edited by WitnessX, 03 December 2012 - 09:55.

#63 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,410 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:46

Him winning it is fine, we all know it's a popularity contest. What is annoying is the passage in the article that heavily implies Button was unlucky not to beat Hamilton.

#64 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,641 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56

:lol: Yip!

I don't agree with Button winning the prize (you'd think it'd go to someone who won their series like Huff) but to be honest it's been worth it just to see the reaction here.

The reaction has been completely overblown. It's not as if there is a points system that the judges chose to ignore.

#65 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:00

I think it should also be acnowledged that Jenson has overcome his issues to a large extent too, which is part of the reason that his reputation is not suffering too much.

No, its only still going on because the certified "Button hater" with your bitter rather than rock solid ( :lol: ) logic can't stop telling us how everything is so unfair.

JB is possibly not the only one feeling a little smug right now.

#66 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,641 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:06

Hahahaha, how hilariously embarrassing.

"Despite having to contend with two further retirements - a fuel pump failure while running second at Monza and contact following a wild lunge from Kamui Kobayashi in Korea - Button went on to finish the season fifth in the championship, just two points behind Hamilton."

Well I'm convinced.

I guess the writer Jamie O'Leary had to spin Jenson's relatively poor season to somewhat justify the award and the article isn't about being objective, it's about applauding Button for what he achieved in 2012 which was.................................... :confused:

#67 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,641 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:08

There isn't a criteria. Whatever you want. I really don't understand the outrage. It's voted for by whoever from the Autosport readership posts in their forms. As I said, many may have plumped for Hamilton as international driver and then chose Button as British Competition driver. Huff really deserved it as he is a WDC. Button winning it is a tad embarrassing for Autosport as he's probably 3rd in the list of 'most deserving' of it, but I think they did a good job in their write up of adding some polish to his season and glossing over his shortcomings.

Besides, LH has won it before anyway, and it's not the first Autosport awards that would make you :drunk: at who it went to. :)

Pretty much :up:.

#68 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:10

I think this list compilled by James Allen shows how close they were over 3 years when the stats are analysed. An interesting stat for me is how they compared when both cars were on the track in a two car finish, mechanical failures aside.

http://www.jamesalle...ord-at-mclaren/

I think James' argument is as fair and accurate as it's going to get. No one expected Jenson to be as competitive with Lewis' as it has turned up but Lewis has still come out on top, just.

And as for this years British competition driver prize:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104699

Got to disagree with Autosport here. Lewis was robbed of 2 guarenteed wins by mechanical failure (Singapore, Abu), robbed of a pole and potential win in spain and was taken out when in another possible winning position (Brazil) yet still managed to finish ahead of Jenson who was shocking for nearly 50% of this season. Lewis deserved this one IMO. Autosport you got it so wrong! :wave:

#69 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:13

Well the voters have their own criteria in their heads and sadly driving performance was quite low down the list, which is odd given that they're racing drivers.

I think this sort of thing goes to show that Hamilton has burned more bridges than the ones at McLaren.
I don't think its a case of Jenson being unduly popular with the media, I think its more a case of Hamilton being unpopular.

#70 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14

I guess the writer Jamie O'Leary had to spin Jenson's relatively poor season to somewhat justify the award and the article isn't about being objective, it's about applauding Button for what he achieved in 2012 which was.................................... :confused:

Its 'feel good' for Jenson after a poor year, he must have been pretty surprised to learn he had received it. I think Jenson is generally more popular as a personality and this goes a long way in certain scenario's. I doubt Hamilton is hurt by not being picked as he came out on top on track which is really all that matters to these guys.

#71 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14

Indeed Lewis has made some serious faux pas this year but are the Autosport awards a popularity contest?

#72 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:17

Make no mistake,Button is really a master of politics.

This award is no joke,he knows the right people,knows how to please them and they are glad to support him.

I think the reason is that they don't like Hamilton, rather than JB is a closet politician.
For the record I have never read a bitter word about Rosbergs behaviour, lets review that in 12 months time.

#73 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:37

I think the reason is that they don't like Hamilton, rather than JB is a closet politician.
For the record I have never read a bitter word about Rosbergs behaviour, lets review that in 12 months time.

It is possible that an emotional 'I hate Hamilton' contingent of voters also skewed it. There is a few in this very topic who would take that approach. It's certainly not an award based on merit, but then again there is no actual criteria, although the clue should be in the title of the award for those that voted.

#74 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44

i still think people have an issue with Lewis not being a perfect white collar brit like JB , with this bling (and childish personality), US high profile GF, and now switching alligence to a german outfit (even though it's more british than fish n chips). well, we'll see what Ultra Brit JB can do against Deutsch Renner LH :lol:

#75 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,286 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:58

I think this sort of thing goes to show that Hamilton has burned more bridges than the ones at McLaren.
I don't think its a case of Jenson being unduly popular with the media, I think its more a case of Hamilton being unpopular.

Didnt F1 Racing magazine recently say that sales went down when they put LH on the cover??

#76 alan

alan

• 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:07

Jenson Button British driver of the year?

Posted Image

#77 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13

How can they keep a straight face doing this?

#78 jesee

jesee

• 1,672 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:20

I have to say iam very surprised that Button beat Hamilton on this award. Anyway, maybe because iam no Brit and i don't know the rationale of determining who wins. On track, there is no doubt in my mind that Lewis was the better driver. If he had reliability and good teamwork, he might even have been champion. Very strange decision IMHO. But who cares, maybe the tabloid readers were voting?

Edited by jesee, 03 December 2012 - 11:21.

#79 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:26

I know ..
They couldnt wait till next year when Button is virtually guaranteed to finish higher.

Out of interest who got the award in 2011 - They could have chosen JB then . This year it just looks ridiculous.

Well - some people dont mind losing credibility - then who are we to argue?

Advertisement

#80 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:29

They are probably not keeping a straight face......
..... but laughing their *rses off at all the hysterics and overreactions in this thread

Jenson wins a (silly) award and 3 pages of bitterness and b*tthurt by the usual suspects :lol:

Big deal, likability, media friendliness, image, sportsmanship and other arguments probably all came into play with the voters
Shows again that there's more to being a successful racer than only what you do on track.

Congratulations Jenson :up:

Edited by ayali, 03 December 2012 - 11:30.

#81 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:31

Give credit where it is due. JB has been good, but IMO he isnt on the same level as LH,SV,FA, or KR. JB has driven his heart out but was still bested in 2 out of 3 seasons. Sadly there has to be a "loser" but I don't see that as a bad thing. JB has shown that he can compete and sometimes win, but I feel that JB just isn't as good. However not being as good as LH means being better than a good number of drivers.

#82 jesee

jesee

• 1,672 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:52

To me, they should call it the "cerebrity driver of the year". Then we can justify it with likeability and such other trash. If it is what a driver does on track then i must have been watching different drivers, and this is from a fan who actually likes Jenson!

#83 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:58

They are probably not keeping a straight face......
..... but laughing their *rses off at all the hysterics and overreactions in this thread

Jenson wins a (silly) award and 3 pages of bitterness and b*tthurt by the usual suspects :lol:

Big deal, likability, media friendliness, image, sportsmanship and other arguments probably all came into play with the voters
Shows again that there's more to being a successful racer than only what you do on track.

Congratulations Jenson :up:

There is more to being popular than being successful. I think that's the point you're searching for.

#84 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 538 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:18

AUTOSPORT readers have voted Jenson Button as British Competition Driver of the Year.

one last time!

Posted Image

#85 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,582 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50

An, erm... interesting decision!

Kind of makes a mockery of the award.

#86 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:07

Looks like the award has about as much relevance as Autosport driver ratings.

#87 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 13:12

Looks like the award has about as much relevance as Autosport driver ratings.

Exactly

#88 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:16

Well they clearly haven't use the WDC table either so...;)

#89 corf

corf

• 266 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 17:33

Well they clearly haven't use the WDC table either so...;)

Or maybe posting private internal data on twitter has had some impact on the perception of his year. After all if in my job I had done that I would of been sacked for gross misconduct.

#90 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 538 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:01

Or maybe posting private internal data on twitter has had some impact on the perception of his year. After all if in my job I had done that I would of been sacked for gross misconduct.

that is not the point, the question isn't "why didn't hamilton win it", it's "what did button do so special this year to win the award". "well...he's nice" - is an answer some of his supporters are giving, but performance wise he has been average.

#91 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,578 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:12

Nah.

A defo brainfart by Hamilton for sure - but massively blown out of proportion. And in no way helped by the likes of the BBC.......... and in particular Gary Anderson.

I mean - think about it....... who really gives a shit about that now? There has been too much great racing since..........

I think that the main issue will be the fact that he's left McLaren - who are by far the most supported UK team. And given the fact that McLaren pretty much fund the Autosport awards....... he was never going to get a sniff at anything........ Not that it matters.......... because the results are a farce. For example: Autosport do their very own driver rankings through the year - so why not use them? Are they admitting that they are toss (which is the point of much debate on here)? Why publish them if you are not going to use them?

Mark my words: JB is no mug. And he would have been a little embarrassed at picking up that award last night.

#92 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,895 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:35

It is possible that an emotional 'I hate Hamilton' contingent of voters also skewed it.

Is that suddenly a huge segment of the population? Perhaps all the Spanish Alonso fans that booed Hamilton were voting for Jenson just to drag Lew down? :)

#93 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:49

Is that suddenly a huge segment of the population? Perhaps all the Spanish Alonso fans that booed Hamilton were voting for Jenson just to drag Lew down? :)

It would be interesting to know how many votes are cast for the AUtosport awards- Autosport has a circulation of around 26,000. I'd guess those with strong feelings would be more likely to choose to vote, and if this topic is anything to go by many were hugely wound up by the likes of Twittergate. Or maybe Ron posted an entry from each of his employees. ;)

Edited by P123, 03 December 2012 - 18:49.

#94 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:53

I wonder if Hamilton is anywhere near as upset as some of the posters here. :rolleyes:

#95 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,478 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:54

I would say that it's strange that JB won that award but at the same time it should be remembered that it's 'driver' of the year award with all that the word driver implies and NOT 'performance' or 'achievement' of the year award...

Lewis' indiscretions this year, and maybe last, won't have helped him...and i dont know this Huff dude but it's quite possible that he is a more worthy winner but he's not that well known..

#96 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:55

Lewis deserved it this year. :) I don't understand why Button was the winner. Oh well. Looks like Jenson's got it for 2013 as well.

Edited by Dalton007, 03 December 2012 - 18:55.

#97 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,895 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:56

I think that the main issue will be the fact that he's left McLaren - who are by far the most supported UK team. And given the fact that McLaren pretty much fund the Autosport awards....... he was never going to get a sniff at anything........ Not that it matters.......... because the results are a farce. For example: Autosport do their very own driver rankings through the year - so why not use them? Are they admitting that they are toss (which is the point of much debate on here)? Why publish them if you are not going to use them?

If the results are that of a popular or public vote how can they be a farce? Do you think Autosport rigged the vote counting machine or something? The fact that YOU don't LIKE the results doesn't mean they are farce. The results of Afghanistan presidential elections the last time around were probably farce as there was enough evidence of election fraud. How are these? That they don't measure up to your sense of fairness?

That brings me to a thing I've pondered a bit for a few last months,........ how wonderful are the mods? I should visit this thread to say so -> http://forums.autosp...howtopic=178520

Please note: the above sentence has been 'moderated', sure you'll all understand :p

Edited by MightyMoose, 03 December 2012 - 21:48.
Removed: Long Off-Topic discussion

#98 techspeed

techspeed

• 372 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:23

I think that the main issue will be the fact that he's left McLaren - who are by far the most supported UK team. And given the fact that McLaren pretty much fund the Autosport awards....... he was never going to get a sniff at anything........ Not that it matters.......... because the results are a farce. For example: Autosport do their very own driver rankings through the year - so why not use them?

They don't use any rankings because they let their readers choose who wins the awards from the shortlist. Who wins is nothing to do with Autosport magazine or McLaren, it's entirely down to who the readers want to win and who the readers think deserve it. Calling it a farce is either saying all of us Autosport readers have been wrong, or our votes don't count as they have no bearing on the result. In reality the Autosport readers just have a different opinion to you.

BTW I voted for Gary Paffett for what he did in DTM this year and came so close to winning it, and last year which Button also won, I voted for Dario Franchitti.

Edited by techspeed, 03 December 2012 - 19:26.

#99 Coral

Coral

• 2,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:29

I wonder if Hamilton is anywhere near as upset as some of the posters here. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think Lewis will be upset about this, very upset in fact. I mean, the poor boy drove his heart out all season...and nobody cares. Makes you wonder why he bothers really. :(

Advertisement

#100 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,965 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:51

i still think people have an issue with Lewis not being a perfect white collar brit like JB , with this bling (and childish personality), US high profile GF, and now switching alligence to a german outfit (even though it's more british than fish n chips). well, we'll see what Ultra Brit JB can do against Deutsch Renner LH :lol:

:rotfl: