Photo

Jenson Button voted British Competition Driver of the Year [split]

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#101 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,087 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 20:54

Oh, I think Lewis will be upset about this, very upset in fact. I mean, the poor boy drove his heart out all season...and nobody cares. Makes you wonder why he bothers really. :(

Because he loves racing, he's great at it and makes millions off it?

Advertisement

#102 Cult

Cult

• 419 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:22

Lewis is smart enough to know that actually outperforming your teammate in 85% of qualifying sessions and finishing ahead in 70% of the races they finished together is more important than this award.

Both are exceptional competitors but how anyone can rate Button above in driving terms this year has been inadvertently watching a season review from 2011.

Edited by Cult, 03 December 2012 - 22:24.

#103 P123

P123

• 8,080 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:32

Oh, I think Lewis will be upset about this, very upset in fact. I mean, the poor boy drove his heart out all season...and nobody cares. Makes you wonder why he bothers really. :(

Eh? He does it all for an Autosport award (of which he has a few)? Do you need him to be popular?

#104 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 22:59

I don't think Lewis will give a shit about it to be honest.

If I were Hamilton, I'd be on my speedboat, smoking expensive cigars and spending some time with my woman somewhere sunny. A bit of quality chillax before starting work again in January.

Meanwhile, button has to attend some third rate awards ceremony in a rain sodden, miserable London surrounded by toadying journos, pretending that he actually enjoys their company. He'll probably catch a cold too.

Edited by stanga, 03 December 2012 - 23:16.

#105 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,293 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:03

They don't use any rankings because they let their readers choose who wins the awards from the shortlist. Who wins is nothing to do with Autosport magazine or McLaren, it's entirely down to who the readers want to win and who the readers think deserve it. Calling it a farce is either saying all of us Autosport readers have been wrong, or our votes don't count as they have no bearing on the result. In reality the Autosport readers just have a different opinion to you.

BTW I voted for Gary Paffett for what he did in DTM this year and came so close to winning it, and last year which Button also won, I voted for Dario Franchitti.

Uh, it's a popularity poll, nothing to do with who deserves it.

#106 itsademo

itsademo

• 403 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:12

All that award says is of 50K Autosport readers who voted most are at best casual F1 viewers or are JB fans/Lewis haters.
Must make Autosport cringe to see how worthless the award really is after a year like this
When only the blind (or the majority of Autosport readers who voted :blush: ) would try to claim Jenson preformed better over the year than Lewis.
Lets just be polite and say perhaps they have far more supporters of other racing series than F1

#107 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:19

Eh? He does it all for an Autosport award (of which he has a few)? Do you need him to be popular?

Well, Hamilton gets repeatedly slated for making the slightest mistake compared to most other drivers, and he's just done his best season to date, almost wholly error free, yet gets outvoted by JB for national driver of the year, and we know that he is a sensitive soul who yearns for recognition and to be appreciated. If despite doing everything right this year he still doesn't get the plaudits, then where does that potentially leave his mindset? I hope he pays no attention to this sort of thing, because undoubtedly he knows inside how well he has driven this year, but I get the impression his focus is more easily disturbed than an Alonso is for example, and it's silly things like this that could affect his equilibrium.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this will be an issue for him, but he is affected by what others think of him more than a lot of drivers.

#108 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,196 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:34

Well, Hamilton gets repeatedly slated for making the slightest mistake compared to most other drivers, and he's just done his best season to date, almost wholly error free, yet gets outvoted by JB for national driver of the year, and we know that he is a sensitive soul who yearns for recognition and to be appreciated. If despite doing everything right this year he still doesn't get the plaudits, then where does that potentially leave his mindset? I hope he pays no attention to this sort of thing, because undoubtedly he knows inside how well he has driven this year, but I get the impression his focus is more easily disturbed than an Alonso is for example, and it's silly things like this that could affect his equilibrium.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this will be an issue for him, but he is affected by what others think of him more than a lot of drivers.

I agree.

#109 Burtros

Burtros

• 940 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:34

Interesting outcome!

What can you do? I doubt Hamilton is crying to much about it though so its all a bit meh. It says more about their relative popularity than it does for anything else and meerly confirms something thats been pretty well known for a while. JB is more popular, the underdog who did well in the Lewis team and us brits love that.

Could Jenson one day be seen as a modern day Mansell? A 2013 title shot might move public perception more in that direction - who knows!

Edited by Burtros, 03 December 2012 - 23:39.

#110 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,240 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:40

This award wasn't just there for either Jenson or Lewis to win, it is for 'British Competition Driver' and there was a world champ this year who really should have had a good run at an award like this but, sadly, F1 seems to rule the motorsport roost as far as fans and media are concerned. Rob Huff is the rightful winner. Hamilton and Button were both also-rans in 2012.

As it is, this was a popularity contest and Jenson makes himself available for the media far more readily than Lewis does. Regardless of whether you think one really is the nicer of the two, the fact that we see Jenson having relaxed and jokey moments with the BBC and Sky guys more often than Lewis will influence the popular view. It's neither something to be particularly proud of, or upset about.

#111 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:46

how on earth did Jenson beat Lewis when he was out in the boonies for so many races?

#112 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:53

Goes to show just how popular JB must be and how some people interpret driver of the year.

Any Ordinary Joe/casual fan I've ever spoken to likes JB and dislikes Hamilton, all based on personality. That's what it boils down to.

#113 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:53

Congratulations to Jenson! He had an up and down season but finished strong after sorting out his mid season set-up related problems. In spite of these problems he only finished 2 points behind teammate Hamilton and over the three year term with him did outpoint the superstar. A well deserved award.

Hamilton's year was a good one as well but a massive pr faux-pas twittering team confidential information and dramatically parting ways with his team/Ron Dennis would have hurt his chances.

#114 itsademo

itsademo

• 403 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 23:55

This award wasn't just there for either Jenson or Lewis to win, it is for 'British Competition Driver' and there was a world champ this year who really should have had a good run at an award like this but, sadly, F1 seems to rule the motorsport roost as far as fans and media are concerned. Rob Huff is the rightful winner. Hamilton and Button were both also-rans in 2012.

As it is, this was a popularity contest and Jenson makes himself available for the media far more readily than Lewis does. Regardless of whether you think one really is the nicer of the two, the fact that we see Jenson having relaxed and jokey moments with the BBC and Sky guys more often than Lewis will influence the popular view. It's neither something to be particularly proud of, or upset about.

:up:
So why dont Autosport be honest and rename it most popular driver of the year?

I think you will find many have limited the failings of this award, to Jenson and Lewis, simply because they both compete within the same formula and its clear Lewis outperformed Jenson this year in every benchmark and stat going, apart from who is most willing to bend over and accommodate the press.

#115 bub

bub

• 1,984 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:02

Indeed, its not exclusive to Formula One so to pick a driver who is British but outclassed in his series by another British driver is nuts.

Goes to show just how popular JB must be and how some people interpret driver of the year.

Well IF Hamilton is so bothered by such things then he should just quit F1 right now as he obviously isn't cut out for being in the public eye. Would seriously need to man up if this is the case and also realize that while there may be a lot of people who don't like him or prefer other drivers, Hamilton has a hell of a lot of fans also.

#116 Coral

Coral

• 2,725 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 00:02

:up: :up: :up:

Yes. You say it better than I ever could.

#117 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:19

Posted Image

Another bash fest.

#118 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,078 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:43

Well deserved. Button is a top notch driver that never gives up. He has his flaws like all the rest, but he shares that same unwavering focus, determination and notable ability with the champions of the sport.

The thing about Button is that he isn't all talk. I recall after 2010 he said he was going to focus on his qualifying. I thought then that it would be pretty much impossible as he had years of effort behind the driver he was at the time. But I was mistaken to doubt him, he actually did improve his qually. He's no Hamilton, but he's not the old Button either. Neither Macca driver had a perfect car, despite its speed, but Hamilton's were more evident and unfortunately resulted in total failure more often. But that doesn't mean that Jenson's was perfect on those occasions when he struggled.

It is curious because we all know he is highly capable of bringing it up through the field, despite a poor start, but when he doesn't, he isn't given the benefit of the doubt about his relationship with the car and its then configuration - as Hamilton is often given. Instead, it is oft' said that it is a failing on Button's part. But that makes no sense.

Hamilton also deserved the award - the dude is a brilliant driver. So I don't mean to judge the contest in that light. But I do not think that Jenson winning is mockable, he deserved it as well, imo.

Congratulations Jenson! :up:

#119 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,023 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:12

These sorts of results will pop up when the masses have their say. I recall F1 Racing Magazine's 'Man of the Year' awards in 2006 had the 248 F1 as best car of the year and then the same group of people voted Michael Schumacher as driver of the year.... sometimes these things don't make sense.

Advertisement

#120 teejay

teejay

• 3,590 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:26

Maybe they accidentally renamed the "lapped by team mate in the fastest car in the field on the day in Canada" award.

What the freaking frek.

#121 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,293 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:35

Congratulations to Jenson! He had an up and down season but finished strong after sorting out his mid season set-up related problems. In spite of these problems he only finished 2 points behind teammate Hamilton and over the three year term with him did outpoint the superstar. A well deserved award.

Hamilton's year was a good one as well but a massive pr faux-pas twittering team confidential information and dramatically parting ways with his team/Ron Dennis would have hurt his chances.

The only sad thing is . . you're probably serious. :well:

#122 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:49

He was awarded driver of the year, not politician and all round nice guy.

Well he's driven Lewis out of McLaren, that was no mean feat.

#123 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,080 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:03

No he didn't.

#124 bauss

bauss

• 4,956 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:44

Was LH or FA at the awards?

Awards shows like this tend to give it to stars that show up

#125 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:13

Interesting outcome!

What can you do? I doubt Hamilton is crying to much about it though so its all a bit meh. It says more about their relative popularity than it does for anything else and meerly confirms something thats been pretty well known for a while. JB is more popular, the underdog who did well in the Lewis team and us brits love that.

Could Jenson one day be seen as a modern day Mansell? A 2013 title shot might move public perception more in that direction - who knows!

Not all of us. I hate the caricature of the plucky British sportsman who makes up for a lack of talent with determination and a winning smile. Would you seriously prefer to watch Tim Henman play tennis than Andy Murray? You may prefer the personality of Henman but if you watch sport to be inspired by those rare moments of magic it's a no-brainer. Were you cheering on the British cycling team at the Olympics? They weren't underdogs; they were the best in every aspect, the very definition of professionalism and cutting edge technology, and it felt bloody marvellous watching them trash the competition in every discipline rather than trundle home to a gutsy fourth.

#126 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,979 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:17

Any Ordinary Joe/casual fan I've ever spoken to likes JB and dislikes Hamilton, all based on personality. That's what it boils down to.

I'm not so sure. At work, casual fans who see the occasional race on TV, see my McLaren posters on my wall and occasionally make chat by leaning in to tell me about one driver that they always reckon is good... and it's always, always Button they want to talk about. So I figured it was as you suggest.

But when I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, me and and my friend were amazed by the Lewis to Jenson hat ratio we observed on fans' heads. Jenson hats were so spectacularly outnumbered by Lewis ones, we started playing 'spot the Jenson hat'. I would say we saw literally 9 Lewis hats for every 1 Jenson hat. We were really surprised.

I don't think it's possible to read too much with certainty into the poll beyond how Jenson is very popular with the people who buy the print edition of Autosport.

#127 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,604 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:24

In other news, De La Rosa voted best Spanish driver of the year. :p

#128 Juggles

Juggles

• 896 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:27

I'm not so sure. At work, casual fans who see the occasional race on TV, see my McLaren posters on my wall and occasionally make chat by leaning in to tell me about one driver that they always reckon is good... and it's always, always Button they want to talk about. So I figured it was as you suggest.

But when I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year, me and and my friend were amazed by the Lewis to Jenson hat ratio we observed on fans' heads. Jenson hats were so spectacularly outnumbered by Lewis ones, we started playing 'spot the Jenson hat'. I would say we saw literally 9 Lewis hats for every 1 Jenson hat. We were really surprised.

I don't think it's possible to read too much with certainty into the poll beyond how Jenson is very popular with the people who buy the print edition of Autosport.

I noticed a similar phenomenon at Silverstone in 2010. There were far more 'Lewis' hats than 'Jenson' ones. Bear in mind the ones who actually go to places like Silverstone or Goodwood and pay significant money for the privilege are the serious motor racing fans, not your average British F1 dabbler (looks at the results after a race, may watch the start and the end). The hardcore fans care about superb driving above anything else so it's no surprise to see Hamilton the more revered driver in those circles, particularly at the scene of his most remarkable and emotional victory.

#129 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,979 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:40

I noticed a similar phenomenon at Silverstone in 2010. There were far more 'Lewis' hats than 'Jenson' ones. Bear in mind the ones who actually go to places like Silverstone or Goodwood and pay significant money for the privilege are the serious motor racing fans, not your average British F1 dabbler (looks at the results after a race, may watch the start and the end). The hardcore fans care about superb driving above anything else so it's no surprise to see Hamilton the more revered driver in those circles, particularly at the scene of his most remarkable and emotional victory.

Yeah, I guess on reflection the Goodwood thing backs up PretentiousBread's observation rather than challenging it. I was thinking of Goodwood as a fun day out rather than serious motoring so I was thinking 'casual fans' but you're right - it's pretty expensive so it probably does appeal more to the deeply smitten racing fans than it does to the merely curious.

#130 P123

P123

• 8,080 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:41

Another bash fest.

Against who? Button? Hamilton? Hamilton fans?

As already said, Huff is the deserving winner, if judged on merit, as he is a WDC, then Hamilton, then JB. But it is a popularity contest, to some extent, and is heavily slanted to F1. For example, last season Franchitti won the Indy championship and the Indy 500 yet the award still went to an F1 driver by way of JB (albeit more justified than this year).

#131 caso

caso

• 169 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10

Was LH or FA at the awards?

Awards shows like this tend to give it to stars that show up

I think it is the other way around. The winners are informed beforehand to make sure they
come to the gala.

Like most of the people on this board I was very surprised by the result. Maybe Hamiltons lapses
on Twitter gave Button the edge. He also won the last race of the season.

He may not have been my choice (this year) but he won.

Congratulations to the 2012 British Competition Driver of the year, Jenson Button.

#132 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:26

Button didn't win anything at the BRDC Gala this year according to this article.

Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso were both announced as award winners at the annual BRDC gala in London on Monday. The ceremony, taking place at the Grand Connaught Rooms, featured a host of stars from the world of motorsport.

Hamilton, who recorded four Grand Prix victories for McLaren in 2012, claimed the Era Club Trophy for his achievements as a British driver in a British car this season. Ferrari's Alonso won the Johnny Wakefield Trophy for setting the fastest lap at this year's British Grand Prix, winning the award for the second consecutive campaign.

Other prize winners included WTCC Champion Rob Huff, who picked up the coveted BRDC Gold Star for his results as a British driver competing internationally, Silver Star recipient Gordon Shedden for his performances en route to the BTCC title, Indy 500 victor Dario Franchitti plus Red Bull Racing duo Adrian Newey and Christian Horner.

http://www.gpupdate....at-brdc-awards/

#133 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:41

Now that the season is finished they still need to find a way to make us laugh on Mondays. Good one Autosport!

#134 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47

McLaren's behaviour and public disappointment after the move was announced hasn't exactly backed your theory up there! lol. Funny though.

#135 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,858 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50

Its a sign of Hamilton's current career plight that their is a bigger issue over the fact he hasn't won a fairly meaningless award, than the fact he hasn't won the title for 4 years now...

#136 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:59

Its a sign of Hamilton's current career plight that their is a bigger issue over the fact he hasn't won a fairly meaningless award, than the fact he hasn't won the title for 4 years now...

Its just something amusing to debate. Hamilton isn't the only driver in a title drought. Alonso and Button are also serving a fair amount of time without titles. I think people are pretty unanimous in the fact it was a strange choice based on performance this year, but as has been said, this award wasn't judged on that as it was voted for by a small amount of Autosport readers. With any poll, even on here, they are popularity contest where the fan will simply vote for their favourite driver. It doesn't tell us much really. Its also clear most people on this forum didn't vote judging by the reaction so its simply a conversation topic after the season.

#137 Trundle

Trundle

• 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:02

maybe if hamilton leads his engineers up a dark alley and then copies setup from rosberg to save his season he'll be in with a shout next year :lol:

#138 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:03

Have you not been following discussions of McLaren basically throwing away both championships this year in all McLaren and McLaren driver threads at least (which has basically been done to death), or do such topics have to pervade every single thread for it to become the "bigger issue". The Autosport Awards is just the latest bit of news. Mountain and mole hill spring to mind on both accounts.

#139 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:32

One of my friends suggested that it was a reaction from British readers to Hamilton's decision to leave McLaren for Mercedes.

Advertisement

#140 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:33

maybe if hamilton leads his engineers up a dark alley and then copies setup from rosberg to save his season he'll be in with a shout next year :lol:

I think it will be more a case of Rosberg hoping Lewis can provide preferences on setup based on recent form.

#141 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34

One of my friends suggested that it was a reaction from British readers to Hamilton's decision to leave McLaren for Mercedes.

If that is the case these readers need to educate themselves as to where these teams are from!

#142 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34

Button didn't win anything at the BRDC Gala this year according to this article.
http://www.gpupdate....at-brdc-awards/

Apparently BRDC Gala filled all the holes that AUTOSPORT Awards had opened. Fair choices by them.

#143 Trundle

Trundle

• 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:43

I think it will be more a case of Rosberg hoping Lewis can provide preferences on setup based on recent form.

I was referring to buttons escapades this year and still getting the nod for this award!

#144 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,449 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:46

Poor Lewis he did not deserve this. I hope he will prove everybody that his the best British driver and make some miracles with that Mercedes car!

#145 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,476 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:49

I was referring to buttons escapades this year and still getting the nod for this award!

I've read it in context now lol.

#146 moorsey

moorsey

• 621 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55

Choosing Button ove Hamilton is akin to calling Dunkirk a victory.

#147 Trundle

Trundle

• 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08

I've read it in context now lol.

lol, it is hard to see sarcasm in writing to be fair!

#148 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:17

That will have undoubtedly motivated some not to vote for Lewis.

Lewis now driving for "ze Germans" will a be theme we see occur in the usual tabloids next year.
We can wait for the silly comparisons with Dick Seaman to pop up in the papers at some point.

#149 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,517 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:20

Imagine if Button wins the title next year, they will kick out the queen from Buckingham Palace and Jenson will be the new king.

Edited by kosmos, 04 December 2012 - 11:21.

#150 Lelouch

Lelouch

• 608 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:21

Imagine if Button wins the title next year, they will kick the queen from Buckingham Palace and Jenson will be crown king.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: