* * * * - 10 votes

Official Formula E thread

• Please log in to reply
1380 replies to this topic

#51 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,332 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:07

Why does it have gears? I'd prefer to see direct drive.

Advertisement

#52 sergeym

sergeym

• 534 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:50

Why does it have gears? I'd prefer to see direct drive.

Indeed i'm curious about that as well. I through that one of the main advantages of electro-engine was ability to deliver full power regardless of RPM's and thus not needing gearbox.

#53 Talryyn

Talryyn

• 839 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 15:34

Indeed i'm curious about that as well. I through that one of the main advantages of electro-engine was ability to deliver full power regardless of RPM's and thus not needing gearbox.

I did electric RC racing for a really long time, and played with two-speed gearboxes (ok not a box anyway) and the speed difference was immense. While your top gear was not much off of what you would normally run, your first gear could be lower to be able to pull out of the tight corners. Ability to get more runtime from the batteries was improved as well.

#54 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 17:02

http://eetweb.com/ne...-racing-111612/

Posted Image

That thing has all the charisma of a magnolia wall.

Looks like a cheap, unimaginative version of a Formula 1 car, hence it will never truly catch on. If you want something like this (Electric technology etc) to catch on you need to make it unique and stand out from the crowd of other single seaters. Why, oh why didn't they go for something a little more like the garage 56 entries at Le Mans?

Posted Image

Or the now infamous Delta Wing

Posted Image

Something like those two anyway, just to get a bit of attention, interest and momentum. That design looks dull and unless your a motorsport fan a la us lot your not going to know that it actually is something different.

#55 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:47

Posted Image

dallara to work on formula E chasis - Autosport

"We are looking forward to facing this new challenge with great enthusiasm and considering our past success together, we are confident that our combined expertise will be key to achieving the demanding targets in this brand new field of motorsport."

Dallara joins McLaren as a Formula E technical partner.

#56 stewie

stewie

• 520 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53

Looks like a modified DW12 to me!

#57 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:22

I liked the Youtube comment 'it sounds so happy' - it really does.

If the racing proves to be good and the coverage is decent I would certainly give this a try - as someone said before racing > sound for me.

Its good to see this being pushed, even if the tech is in fairly early days (20 min max running per charge) it is only the first iteration of what will be many as time goes by and the technology develops.

Edited by windtravels, 25 February 2013 - 11:23.

#58 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:47

Dallara is everywhere

#59 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 19:28

A preliminary calender - including London.
Still hoping this is a go-er myself. :up:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/105902

Advertisement

#60 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,430 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 19:38

Well, if they are able to get races in cities like Paris, Rome, Londen en Berlin (Amsterdam?), this Formula E could get really big. I think the whole green image of electric cars is grossly overrated, but in the public eye they are as green as they can be.

#61 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 232 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:15

if this ever happens, which it won't, or not in my lifetime- b/c basically I'd eat a bullet before watching this crap... Sacrilege..... F1 is already too sterile and sanitised as is... Time to bring back the sport V10/V12 :) (and I don't mean V=Volts!)

#62 BRG

BRG

• 11,908 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:44

Well, if they are able to get races in cities like Paris, Rome, Londen en Berlin (Amsterdam?), this Formula E could get really big. I think the whole green image of electric cars is grossly overrated, but in the public eye they are as green as they can be.

With the idea of using the London Olympic Park for a race, I am wondering if the various city authorities that seem to be interested are really aware that these cars will still need all the paraphernalia of a normal race track - walls, run offs, debris fencing and so on. I sort of have the feeling that they may think that electric cars are slow and that a few straw bales will do fine to mark the course.

These cars may be quiet and not run for very far, but they are quick and need to be run on proper race tracks. You are just as dead with a zero emissions car landing on your head...

#63 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,430 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:02

With the idea of using the London Olympic Park for a race, I am wondering if the various city authorities that seem to be interested are really aware that these cars will still need all the paraphernalia of a normal race track - walls, run offs, debris fencing and so on. I sort of have the feeling that they may think that electric cars are slow and that a few straw bales will do fine to mark the course.

These cars may be quiet and not run for very far, but they are quick and need to be run on proper race tracks. You are just as dead with a zero emissions car landing on your head...

I had the same thought. Electric cars can be damn fast!

However...

Obviously the electric cars have such (partly undeserved) green image, apparently city councils drop all their usual, stale objections to car racing. If I think about, say, the Bavarian Street race in Rotterdam... the same crowd, the same atmosphere, so free access to most parts of the track and I think about real races... than this could be really big. The problem of F1 races usually is, even with streetraces, that they are not national events. It are races for a select few of a specific group. E-races could bring just the 'crowd' feeling to racing... therefore I allow myself to be slightly optimistic...

#64 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,086 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:58

The sound of the car..

waaaaaaaaaaaa whihihihhihii weeeeee wiiiiiii hihihihi

Anyway.. im interested in seeing if they get to develop the Formula E cars freely. If so they would get interesting to follow and watch fast.

Nothing gets the speed up like a fairly open racing series.

#65 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:29

I am super excited for this series!

#66 lixlax

lixlax

• 170 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 14:47

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/106842
Some News on the series.
Michelin will supply tyres and Renault also intrested.
If they decide to make make it a non "spec" series then it could even interest some F1 I think.

#67 np93

np93

• 88 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 19:22

Got Senna and Prost onboard apparently here, good interview http://www1.skysport...prost-exclusive

#68 Risil

Risil

• 14,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 19:26

I am super excited for this series!

Have a ball! Make sure you drink plenty of water!

Edited by Risil, 30 April 2013 - 19:27.

#69 stewie

stewie

• 520 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:25

Got Senna and Prost onboard apparently here, good interview http://www1.skysport...prost-exclusive

Posted Image

#70 np93

np93

• 88 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:35

Thank you, but mostly thank you for using that spectacular lolcat, serious cat really is a king amoung cats.

#71 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 21:04

Well the problem is that, IMHO, the E cars are too fast already to go challenging. If it running already 225 MPH ... So, pressured flight jacket?

#72 R Soul

R Soul

• 629 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 21:34

Are there any clips of these things being driven properly? (one or more laps, not just one chicane)

#73 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 18:16

Well, looks like the car will indeed take some cues from the DW12.
But it's good to see a manufacturer helping out.

#74 mtknot

mtknot

• 720 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:14

It should be fairly obvious why they went for that design. It'd be idiotic to go for a high-drag design like the current F1 cars.

I do think Formula E will become the new formula 1, rather switfly.

#75 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:33

Well, looks like the car will indeed take some cues from the DW12.
But it's good to see a manufacturer helping out.

Yeah. Didn't think it'd be possible to come up with a 'racer' uglier then, but congratulations are due, they've done it!

#76 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:35

It should be fairly obvious why they went for that design. It'd be idiotic to go for a high-drag design like the current F1 cars.

4 stoppers in F1 are said to be a lot; do you see this coming in stops and recharges sort of switfly. :stoned:

#77 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:29

I know the aero drag stuff isn't as necessary in a series like the one proposed, but honestly, I did expect a car a little more aesthetically pleasing than that....
Agree with the thumbs up to Renault

#78 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:31

if this ever happens, which it won't, or not in my lifetime

Looking more like it will I'm afraid :)

Calm down, I seriously doubt that....

#79 string158

string158

• 228 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:53

What innovation will be allowed in the series? or is it a spec series? This could be great for innovation if teams are allowed free range to develop the powertrains themselves.

Advertisement

#80 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,076 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:06

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108723

Calendar complete.

What I'm really waiting to see is how this series is going to be covered / publicised. So far, so good IMO - it's building up to kickstarting as a significant sport, what with the calibre and size of the companies and people involved.

#81 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:09

They are coming to Los Angeles :D

A street race... where? Long Beach? Hopefully not. Would be great if they blocked off another area. A drag race along the coast :up: Well whereever it is, welcome!

#82 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:48

What is the worst... it seems Formula E has better places now to race on, than F1...

#83 Anja

Anja

• 558 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 15:08

What is the worst... it seems Formula E has better places now to race on, than F1...

Well, they don't have to worry about the noise. And they needed good locations for the races as this will be one of their main advantages.

#84 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 15:11

If this isn't the future of racing, I will be shocked.

#85 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 15:28

Posted Image

Formula E expected to attract top F1 teams

http://grandprix247....ormula-1-teams/

ā€œIā€™m sure teams like Ferrari and Red Bull will be in Formula E one day,ā€ Agag told the German newspaper Die Welt.

already several F1 teams are associated with the Formula E

Williams - lithium batteries
Mclaren - Electric motor and Transmission

also Michelin (former F1 supplier) will supply tires and Dallara (GP2 and indy car maker) is making chassis with the rumor that Renault have expressed interest in joining the series.

Edited by eronrules, 12 July 2013 - 15:30.

#86 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 15:56

Posted Image

Formula E expected to attract top F1 teams

http://grandprix247....ormula-1-teams/

already several F1 teams are associated with the Formula E

Williams - lithium batteries
Mclaren - Electric motor and Transmission

also Michelin (former F1 supplier) will supply tires and Dallara (GP2 and indy car maker) is making chassis with the rumor that Renault have expressed interest in joining the series.

car looks awesome

#87 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 16:53

car looks awesome

it's a baby DW12 :smoking:

with a bit of red and vodafone logo, this can be a Mclaren E-type :cool:

#88 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 17:53

Formula E can be really succesful. I hope they will broadcast it World Wide

#89 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 927 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 18:24

Seeing also the change of the pacecetters at Formula Student from combustion to electric the last couple of years I am hopeful that this will be a great success.

I would say most people will be very surprised at how fast they are able to go and how much innovation that can be applied there.
Will be McLaren the only engine provider?

#90 Anja

Anja

• 558 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 18:37

To get some decent popularity they will need good drivers. Agag talks about ex-F1 and GP2, but that's a rather wide circle.

Edited by Anja, 12 July 2013 - 18:38.

#91 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 18:40

I dont understand where all the funding for these events is coming from. Street races are crazy expensive.

#92 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,107 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 19:07

I dont understand where all the funding for these events is coming from. Street races are crazy expensive.

I think the organizers have no idea what they signed up for. I bet many believe they've signed up for demonstration runs with hay bails or jersey barriers. Because without word of car count or expected names to be associated in terms of drivers and teams, how else is this going to commercially be viable for many of the venues to justify city funds or sell advertising to get additional funds?

I believe the one thing they have going outside the initial, electric idea, is that they are going the route which was A1GP's best asset, being a Fall to Spring schedule, rather than a Spring to Fall schedule. It gives them the potential to get television time that would otherwise go towards off-season news from F1, MotoGP, and general sports news.

And where is Tesla Motors, or Fisker Automotive? They are, at least in America, poster boys for the electric car industry in America, and in the case of Tesla, they are huge.

Edited by HaydenFan, 12 July 2013 - 19:09.

#93 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,377 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 20:16

But who honestly gives a rat's arse about Formula E?

It's the stupidest idea the FIA has come up with in a long time.

#94 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 20:35

It's really not. It will get the most non-motorsport press attention of any of their series other than F1.

#95 SR388

SR388

• 4,039 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 20:53

But who honestly gives a rat's arse about Formula E?

It's the stupidest idea the FIA has come up with in a long time.

How is it a stupid idea? There is a lot of potential in electric vehicles. What better way to advance them than with competition?

#96 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:10

How fast are they potentially able to go at present?

#97 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:15

ABout half a race, then a car change halfway in becuase batteries are freaking useless and will be for another decade.

#98 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:18

How fast are they potentially able to go at present?

from wikipedia (obviously just rough estimation, i expect the speed to go up as dallara makes the new chasis)
http://en.wikipedia...._E_Championship

Racing circuits will be held in cities, and will be approximately 2.5 km to 3 km long
Cars will accelerate from 0 km/h to 100 km/h in 3 seconds, with a maximum speed of 220 km/h
Noise decibel levels will be approximately 80dB (ordinary car - 70dB; bus - 90dB; Formula One track - 130dB[7])

The Race[edit]

Early morning: free practice session, followed by qualifying
Late morning: qualifying 1 lap time each driver with both cars A and B
Afternoon: a 2-hour break to recharge the cars
Evening: Final race with 3 stints and 2 pit stops
Pit stop will involve a change of car: when the battery runs out, the driver will make a pit stop, then will run 100 metres to climb into a recharged car
Races are planned to be 45 minutes in length.

Edited by eronrules, 13 July 2013 - 17:19.

#99 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,860 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:19

Wouldn't it just be better to have shorter races instead of "haha, they cant even do a race distance" ?

Advertisement

#100 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,232 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:25

Wouldn't it just be better to have shorter races instead of "haha, they cant even do a race distance" ?

i don't see the problem, it has the 'Le mans' style driver swap ring to it. :up:

although, this running 100m seems to be a farce IMHO, i expect the 2nd car to be in the pit garage, not the parking garage.

that said, we'll soon see some pretty quick legs soon in racing, beware usain bolt :lol: