* * * * - 9 votes

Official Formula E thread

• Please log in to reply
908 replies to this topic

#151 sergeym

sergeym

• 529 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:33

Lots of oils, yes, but nuclear, this is a true trouble, constly and it is about millions's years contamination.

Yes there is problem of nuclear waste, but waste is localised in reactor and it can be disposed properly or at least safely. Major advantage of nuclear energy is that it can generate significant amount of power and reserves of uranium can last longer that fossil fuels. IMO instead of closing down power plants due to public fear, governments should spend money on development of more efficient and safe designs.

Advertisement

#152 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,978 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:48

I'm not sure that renewable energy will ever completely replace fossil and nuclear energy. Beside despite being labeled as green it still has problems - hydroelectric plants disrupt natural river flow, production of solar panel is very toxic and so on.

Actually i would not be surprised if it turns out that nuclear energy has the least overall impact on environment. Unfortunately people have almost irrational fear of radiation. Nobody wants to live near nuclear power plant yet burning coal actually release more radiation.

Yeah, unless storing massive amount of electricity is made possible, renewables (solar/wind/water) can never be base energy source, as they fluctuate alot, just too unstable and unreliable to be backbone. Can only work to reduce fossil fuel consumption at those thermal powerplants. Even then thermal as well as nuclear plants aren't sth you can switch on and off whenever you want according to demand.
Can be valid alternative in small system like island/mountain or remote area, but in broad system, renewables can only exist by being unilaterally dependent and parasitic on traditional energy source.

Nuclear energy is a strong and main option in mid-longer term. The issue in current mainstream nuclear energy tech is that its design philosophy is to be a part of making nuclear weapon for maximum plutonium production, hence not so efficient and safe as a power plant, discharging long lasting radioactive waste (still, yea, coal plant, that is one of main future energy option, releases more radioactives than nuclear plant, and the absolute amount itself of waste in general that nuclear plant produces is alot less than that of coal plant). New 4th gen reactors are supposed to address those issues, setting efficiency and safety at the core. Well, still with many unknowns and uncertainties of course.
Nuclear plants have to be built in rural area in order for risk aversion/minimization, but the true issue here is an inequality between countryside and urban. It's more about colonial logic of power and money, that effectively urban people exploit and force it to people in countryside or sth like that, rather than logic and rationale.

Yet materials for nuclear energy is finite as well. Also nuclear fusion wont come in near future. Ultimately we might want to pursue 100% reliance on solar source, as the Sun is the only finite resource practically, but main problem of electric is that it is very difficult to store. Breakthrough in storage/battery technology is essential, and possibly that's where Formula E can be relevant.

Edited by muramasa, 16 July 2013 - 12:04.

#153 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 432 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:46

And thats where stuff like Formula E comes in, as it pushes battery technology :D

#154 fauxhemian

fauxhemian

• 638 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:13

Something about making battery powered racing cars and then sticking big draggy wings on them seems... well, daft.

A powerful open wheeled car, no wings, basically something like an electric Lotus 33 would be neat :)

#155 FerrariV12

FerrariV12

• 345 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 13:24

The Bluebird story has raised my interest a bit, if it can get multiple chassis and motors involved as soon as possible then it will definitely have my attention. I was a bit worried to start with that it would just be another centrally-run one make series, but if they're serious about making it an open technological competition then that already makes it more interesting than 90+% of other racing series out there, noise or no noise.

I wonder why they're sticking with the open wheel concept though. Fair enough it's part of an F1 car's look an identity, but for something brand new like this, surely allow constructors to make the cars as aero-efficient as possible? I'm picturing something along the lines of a single-seat version of an LMP car in my head.

#156 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 93 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 14:14

Something about making battery powered racing cars and then sticking big draggy wings on them seems... well, daft.

A powerful open wheeled car, no wings, basically something like an electric Lotus 33 would be neat :)

Oh the irony...

The only thing as draggy and more useless than the wings are the open wheels.

Also, if you don't have wings, or some other downforce generating device then you might as well be watching electric formula ford.

#157 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:14

IndyCar team Andretti will field a team in Formula E!

#158 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:18

Another point:

From a *sponsor's* viewpoint, backing Formula-E is MUCH more advantageous inherently than any other racing formula.

A sponsor doesn't have to have an "automotive" tie in to want to be associated with a green Big Event, and it doesn't haven't to be as giant as F1 to make it worthwhile for some pretty big sponsors to not want to throw some money at it just for the sake of having the possibility of the byline to be written somewhere "... also sponsors the Formula-E (electric) race team X".

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 17 July 2013 - 14:20.

#159 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,406 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:34

IndyCar team Andretti will field a team in Formula E!

That's among the best pieces of news I've heard about Formula E in a while, actually - it shows it's being taken seriously. AA have done brilliantly in IndyCar since the introduction of the DW12, so it'll be interesting to see if they can be a frontrunner in Formula E too.

Edited by Muppetmad, 17 July 2013 - 14:35.

Advertisement

#160 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,871 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 14:55

I wonder if cities where the races will be are aware that they will have to prepare circuits that meet all safety requirements. I mean, these cars will be quite fast...

I agree, that running part is stupid and unnecessary.

#161 kimifan88

kimifan88

• 30 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 00:50

That article from last week predicted there would be a US team in Formula E because of cost capping. Just read it again and noticed this:

motorsport’s governing body, the FIA, has already fixed the design for next year -- a process known as homologation.
http://www.autoweek....DYCAR/130719925

If this is true then the Bluebird doesn't stand a chance to build its car as it said is the plan
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/108286

Anyone know if Bluebird has been officially announced?

#162 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:31

I don't even...

http://racing.ap.org...ic-car-series-0

The car batteries will last up to 25 minutes at a time, so drivers will have to switch cars during the race while their batteries recharge. The driver will enter the pits, then get out of the car and run 100 meters to get into the freshly charged car.

#163 sergeym

sergeym

• 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:45

I don't even...

That was already discussed here. It would be easier to change that car than replace batteries.

#164 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:46

I don't even...

LOL- what if the driver doesn't quite make it to the pits. How far are we going to make them run before we call DNF? Who tunes into a motor race to watch dudes in helmets and firesuits run a 100m dash?
Maybe it's just their way of making sure Montoya doesn't get any ideas about joining the series.
Sutil, though.

#165 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,062 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:56

I can understand that it's easier to change the car than the batteries. But why 100m? Why not just park alongside the replacement in the team's pitbox?

#166 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:30

I understand, that there will be two pitstops. Are there 3 cars per driver, so he switches from car1 to car2 in the first pitstop and from car2 to car3 in the second pitstop? Or will the stint of car2 be long enough, so that car1 is recharged until then, which I cannot really believe...

#167 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:35

That's a really good way to keep costs down, make every 2 driver team buy at least 4 cars. Just think of all those diesel generators recharging the batteries and polluting the paddock while the cars silently whizz round saving the planet...

#168 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:37

Though I'd drive one if asked (I'll drive anything, just to see), I doubt I'd walk 100 yards to see them race, not unless they were delivering my milk...

#169 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 432 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:38

So yeah once again, this series isn't about being "green" now. The sooner you get that through your thick skulls the better. This series is about future technology.

#170 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:49

So yeah once again, this series isn't about being "green" now. The sooner you get that through your thick skulls the better. This series is about future technology.

Such politesse, such condescension.

#171 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:03

Such politesse, such condescension.

Big things have small beginnings ....

Posted Image

#172 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,469 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:06

That's what she said.

#173 sergeym

sergeym

• 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:45

I understand, that there will be two pitstops. Are there 3 cars per driver, so he switches from car1 to car2 in the first pitstop and from car2 to car3 in the second pitstop? Or will the stint of car2 be long enough, so that car1 is recharged until then, which I cannot really believe...

I throught they were targeting 45min races with about 25 min until pitstop. So one pit stop should be enough unless something goes wrong.

#174 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:19

I would put money on the fact that, when they start racing, the batteries won't last as long as they thought they would.

#175 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:01

I throught they were targeting 45min races with about 25 min until pitstop. So one pit stop should be enough unless something goes wrong.

Frome the fia.com: "Evening: Final race with 3 stints and 2 pit stops. Pit stop will involve a change of car: when the battery runs out, the driver will make a pit stop, then will run 100 metres to climb into a recharged car"

Therefore there will be 2 pitstops and in only one of them they change car. Am I right?

#176 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:19

Of sneakers?

#177 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,913 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:46

I will laugh a lot if a race is won by the advantage gained in the foot-sprint portion.

#178 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,116 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:58

This 100m run might be dangerous dont you think? potential of being hit by another car. Unless they run to a seperate pitlane (Like from F1 pit to Endurance pit at Spa..?)

#179 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,871 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 13:00

I really, really can't understand what is attractive in bunch of guys running in helmets during a car race. Unless it rains, when it may be entertaining.

Seriously, who designed this rule? :lol:

Advertisement

#180 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 13:03

I really, really can't understand what is attractive in bunch of guys running in helmets during a car race. Unless it rains, when it may be entertaining.

Seriously, who designed this rule? :lol:

Reminds me of the Le-Mans-start...

#181 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 14:00

In the event of wet races, to prevent build-up of static charge all drivers will be required to wear FIA-mandated rubber apparel during the pitlane sprint.

Posted Image

Edited by gm914, 19 July 2013 - 14:12.

#182 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,871 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 14:21

Reminds me of the Le-Mans-start...

Le-Mans loooong race. This running will be like 50%;) of the F-E race :drunk:

About the rain - seriously, some serious downpour will be great :lol:

Edited by MadYarpen, 19 July 2013 - 14:21.

#183 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 14:26

has this occured to anyone that all these talk about '100m spint' may just be 'talk'

the series hasn't began yet, perhaps someone thought - oh look at the old Le mans starts, it'd look good for Formula E' and they wrote it down as a side note only.

no need to panic/snicker on this 'issue', it maybe that when the series begins, this rule will be dropped and the swap will take inside pit garage. it was in the 'wikipedia', may be changed soon for all we know.

#184 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 14:44

It was quoted from a promoter of FE though :/

#185 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 14:49

It was quoted from a promoter of FE though :/

but does a promoter writes the rules??? promoter's job is to promote, and it may be just a promotion trick, like saying, 'F1 cars will go upside down in the monaco tunnel, but it won't do it in the race'

my humble suggestion is to 'wait and see'. after all it's FIA who'll decide what's allowed and what's not.

#186 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,871 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 15:00

but does a promoter writes the rules??? promoter's job is to promote, and it may be just a promotion trick, like saying, 'F1 cars will go upside down in the monaco tunnel, but it won't do it in the race'

my humble suggestion is to 'wait and see'. after all it's FIA who'll decide what's allowed and what's not.

Showing them the rule is stupid might help them realise it, so I see no reason to stop talking about it.

#187 NotAPineapple

NotAPineapple

• 93 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 15:06

In the event of wet races, to prevent build-up of static charge all drivers will be required to wear FIA-mandated rubber apparel during the pitlane sprint.

Posted Image

Ok but it needs to degrade sufficiently that it needs replacing at least by the 40m and 80m points. Otherwise the fans will turn off.

#188 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 15:33

Right. The solution to solving the energy crisis is to buy 3 separate cars. I could have one at home, to drive to a parking garage. Drive that one to a restaurant parking lot, then drive that one to work. Repeat backwards to go home.

edit: Oh yeah, but park them 100m apart

Edited by Deluxx, 19 July 2013 - 15:33.

#189 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 848 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:38

Right. The solution to solving the energy crisis is to buy 3 separate cars. I could have one at home, to drive to a parking garage. Drive that one to a restaurant parking lot, then drive that one to work. Repeat backwards to go home.

edit: Oh yeah, but park them 100m apart

Never knew Formula E solves the energy crisis. It's just about tech innovation and bringing electric drivetrains incl. batteries forward. Simple as that. Why do so many people not understand that?

#190 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:37

Its just a joke man lol.

I like the series, I think it will drive alot of innovation.

I just don't get the whole running down pitlane part.. .. .

#191 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 848 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:43

No one does. Well it's still a long way till it's start, so I don't think that will be part of the series. If it is however, I'm hoping that it will give me at least a good laugh.

#192 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,216 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:45

Never knew Formula E solves the energy crisis. It's just about tech innovation and bringing electric drivetrains incl. batteries forward. Simple as that. Why do so many people not understand that?

I personally think that if these things were technologically relevant at this particular point in time we would have seen them brought forward with a much greater presence already. As a concept, I don't find too much wrong with Formula E, but I'd prefer a diesel formula and a hydrogen formula over an electric formula.

#193 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:04

Good news folks

Michael Andretti signs on to field Formula E team

Posted Image

full link : http://www.autoblog....formula-e-team/

On the occasion of the announcement, Michael Andretti himself chimed in to say, "I look forward to further exploring the series and helping build the future of open-wheel racing across the world." Agag is pleased to have an American team in the series, and hinted at further additions in the coming months saying," "As well being the first team from the US, today's announcement now means we have three teams from three different continents and we're looking forward to announcing many more over the coming months."

also, from CBCsprot article http://www.cbc.ca/sp...-autosport.html

[this article has some really good info regarding the series too, please give it a read. :) ]

"We're in the business of racing and we've been looking for opportunities to diversify, and when we were contacted about this we felt it was something we needed to look into," Andretti told The Associated Press. "The more we looked into it, the more interested we got."

Andretti plans to run one car for the championship, while his second entry could be a "star car" that uses well-known drivers such as IndyCar reigning champion Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco Andretti or James Hinchcliffe of Oakville, Ont., based on their availability.

Edited by eronrules, 20 July 2013 - 05:05.

#194 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 848 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 19:20

Not directly Formula E but I think it's relevant.

Electric vehicle makes history at Formula Student

An electric vehicle has won the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Formula Student (FS) event for the first time in the competition’s history.

ETH Zurich, from Switzerland, stormed to victory with an extraordinary total of 921.3 points at Silverstone as over 2,100 students from around the world battled for the prestigious title.

It is believed to be the first time that an electric vehicle has beaten cars powered by combustion engines in any accredited motorsport competition.

Summing up the success of the event, Jon Hilton, Chairman of Formula Student, said: “Many congratulations to ETH Zurich on their very well deserved win. The electrically powered cars have made huge progress going from being unable to complete the 22 Km endurance event to winning overall in just five years. We are delighted by this progress but we will have to see what needs to be done in the future to ensure petrol cars remain competitive.”

:smoking:

#195 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 22:55

It's sometimes like the FIA/whoever are consulting with SpeedTv's "writers", "then, yes,.... then, we have them get out of the car, and RUN to another car!!!! And.... on the way... we'll have a QUIZ! Then, we'll have a contest to see which viewer can change the battery the fastest, then they'll compete, and there will be DRAMA!!!"

Seriously, raise of hands, who here wants to see drivers run....?

WTF????

#196 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,661 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 23:19

So, this is the sort of info I've been waiting for. Fox getting the live broadcast deal for USA.
Waiting for European network coverage news....

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109227

#197 SR388

SR388

• 3,754 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:06

So, this is the sort of info I've been waiting for. Fox getting the live broadcast deal for USA.
Waiting for European network coverage news....

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109227

I can't wait!!

#198 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 14:29

finally, the car is unveiled .... 

Formula-E-SparkRenault-SRT-01E_3001258.j

Spark-Renault SRT_01E   :love:

some more news related to the series ...

http://www.planetf1....-E-car-unveiled

The SRT-01E, with a Dallara chassis made from carbon fibre and aluminium, is a fully-electric single-seater and was designed and built by Spark Racing Technology.

Some of Formula One's biggest names are also involved with

McLaren Electronics Systems - the electric motor, and electronics,

Hewland - Gearbox

Williams Advanced Engineering - batteries and battery-management systems.

Tyre manufacturer Michelin, meanwhile, has promised a durable 18-inch compound that will cater for wet and dry conditions.

but wait, MORE GOOD NEWS  :eek:

DHL has confirmed a multi-year global partnership with Formula E

" As a pioneer in developing environmentally friendly logistics solutions, DHL is committed to the same future as Formula E. With our global sustainability program GoGreen, we have already started to integrate e-mobility into our business. Now, we are proud to be embarking on this journey of further discovery and innovation together with the FIA Formula E championship.”     

formula_e_car-300x296.jpg

Qualcomm signs multi-year Formula E sponsorship

As part of the deal Qualcomm will install its Halo - wireless electric vehicle charging - technology into the series' safety cars for 2014, with the technology being installed in the racing cars from the second season.

“Our collaboration with the FIA Formula E Championship is not just a great opportunity to showcase Qualcomm technologies, such as our Halo WEVC system, but to evaluate and improve wireless connectivity and EV technology across the globe, especially in the host cities,” said Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of Qualcomm.

Formula E bags game-changing global Fox deal

Formula E chief executive Alejandro Agag said: “We are very proud to announce this major agreement between Fox and the FIA Formula E Championship and to be partnering a truly global organisation that fully believes in the future of racing.

“This global broadcasting deal will bring our Championship to nearly 90 countries and a potential 180 million households worldwide, giving our partners, our teams, and our team’s partners a platform to visualise the association to the values of this competition.

"We are particularly happy to join Fox at the time when Fox Sports 1 is being launched. America is a key market for electric cars and to show our races live in the US will be central to promoting this type of mobility.”

:clap:

Edited by eronrules, 10 September 2013 - 14:31.

#199 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 14:34

more launch image on the official site

http://www.fiaformul...timedia/gallery

Car%20gallery_7.jpg

Advertisement

#200 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 14:38

more image at official site gallery .... 

check out those wicked chassis mounted vortex generator winglets ...  :eek:  :eek:

Car%20gallery_15.jpg

btw, who said 18 inch rims doesn't look good on a single seater open wheel car :love:  :love:  :love: ??? oh wait, it was Bernie   :o

Edited by eronrules, 10 September 2013 - 14:39.