* * * * - 10 votes

Official Formula E thread

• Please log in to reply
1330 replies to this topic

#201 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:06

I don't like the wheels - no dish looks like a streetcar, it looks like they took wheels off of a Volvo:

800px-2nd_Volvo_S80_--_01-13-2010.jpg

Edited by Rubens Hakkamacher, 10 September 2013 - 16:07.

Advertisement

#202 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:28

I don't like the wheels - no dish looks like a streetcar, it looks like they took wheels off of a Volvo:

next you'll tell me the sound is crap ...  :o

#203 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:31

I think F1 wheels look cartoony, like they took them off Mickey Mouse's car.

If anything, these F-E wheels gives there cars that aggressive look of rally cars.

#204 CaptnMark

CaptnMark

• 1,015 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:11

btw, who said 18 inch rims doesn't look good on a single seater open wheel car :love:  :love:  :love: ??? oh wait, it was Bernie   :o

On that picture, I especially like the look of the front and rear wings. Time to put them in F1 regulations.

#205 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:22

Why does this fully electric car have sidepods? What's in them?

#206 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:31

Why does this fully electric car have sidepods? What's in them?

the battery packs will need to be cooled as well as the electric motors. if you look carefully, the body actually extends to the wheel (like current DW12). even in current F1, the KERS pack needs to be cooled. also, there is hydraulics, gearbox, ECU that needs cooling.

#207 Murl

Murl

• 326 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:19

next you'll tell me the sound is crap ...  :o

Funny thing is, the sound (or lack of it) could be a big step forward for spectators. If they are so quiet that all we get to hear is tyre sounds, it would improve the spectacle, hearing when someone is struggling for traction, or locking up under braking,

#208 jondon

jondon

• 510 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:25

When I first saw those pics I thought it was Qualcast sponsorship on the sidepod!

#209 HP

HP

• 14,352 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:31

TBH, this car is a tad louder than Audi's leman Diesel cars at speed.

The thing for me is that I grew to dislike E-mobiles, because on normal roads, I don't hear them approaching with all the other noise.I simply won't support that.

In some cities they even start consider what to do with e-bicycles (!), as they (the e-bicycle riders) cause over-proportional number of accidents.

#210 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,352 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:48

Wait, the chassis wasn't built by Dallara?

Edited by Disgrace, 11 September 2013 - 00:48.

#211 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:19

Horrible wheels

#212 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:49

Wait, the chassis wasn't built by Dallara?

The SRT-01E, with a Dallara chassis made from carbon fibre and aluminium, is a fully-electric single-seater and was designed and built by Spark Racing Technology.

sorry to disappoint you mate, but Dallara Seems to be the Intel/microsoft of racing industries.

#213 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 921 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:06

Love the wheels. Car looks interesting. Still if they have the choice, why do they go for a high nose? God how I loath high noses. Disgusting.

#214 sock22

sock22

• 406 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:02

This series is really taking shape now. The next stage is a finalised calendar and some driver announcements. Should be interesting  :)

#215 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 15:16

The thing for me is that I grew to dislike E-mobiles, because on normal roads, I don't hear them approaching with all the other noise.I simply won't support that.

In some cities they even start consider what to do with e-bicycles (!), as they (the e-bicycle riders) cause over-proportional number of accidents.

The Audis are not silent, they're just very quiet for a "proper race car".  I could imagine them being louder than the Audis off throttle, but not floored.

I think some drivers will have a problem with the quiet.  Wind noise tells you a lot over 50-60 mph, but the linear accelleration without noise is going to be befuddling to some guys I bet, particularly in traffic.  Tilkedrome tracks, plus regenerative braking and a grid full of effectively silent cars is going to make for some interesting starts I think. 

Uhg, it just occured to me... somebody may suggest they use horns to signal their approach to another car.

Oh well.  "The sound doesn't matter".... we'll see.

#216 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 15:35

The Audis are not silent, they're just very quiet for a "proper race car".  I could imagine them being louder than the Audis off throttle, but not floored.

I think some drivers will have a problem with the quiet.  Wind noise tells you a lot over 50-60 mph, but the linear accelleration without noise is going to be befuddling to some guys I bet, particularly in traffic.  Tilkedrome tracks, plus regenerative braking and a grid full of effectively silent cars is going to make for some interesting starts I think. 

Uhg, it just occured to me... somebody may suggest they use horns to signal their approach to another car.

Oh well.  "The sound doesn't matter".... we'll see.

don't worry, the gearboxes will be shouty enough and tire chatter will add to the effect.

#217 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,500 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 15:38

That car looks stunning. Easily one of the most beautiful single-seaters of all time.

#218 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 19:33

don't worry, the gearboxes will be shouty enough and tire chatter will add to the effect.

They may sound neat, but they're not going to sound impressive at all.  The Audis don't sound impressive.  Most of the time you have to actively watch for them to catch a glimpse; but the only time you hear the tires is only a very slow corner.  

Unless they open the formula up to an anything-goes sort of approach, I think people will find it difficult to enjoy as spectators.   You need a sound that is appropriate for the speed. 

#219 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 18:37

Sounds like an aeroplane!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nX5Roi4lzVs

Advertisement

#220 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 18:42

'Having the car, showing the car, makes the project much more real," he says. "This project has gone through phases: first was 'it will never happen'; then 'maybe it will happen'; now we're in the phase of 'looks like it's going to happen'.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag

Too right :)

The sentiments on this thread mirror that!

Edited by BullHead, 13 September 2013 - 18:46.

#221 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 18:43

Sounds like an aeroplane!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nX5Roi4lzVs

I guess they changed something, because before they sounded just like those toy, remote controlled, electric cars.

#222 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,257 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 18:57

I guess they changed something, because before they sounded just like those toy, remote controlled, electric cars.

just remembered that i used to have radio controlled toy cars by TAMIYA, pretty big one, like scale of 1/10,

top.jpg

chassis.jpg

and it actually sounded quite noisy  :drunk:  :D

If that 1/1 real scale formula electric car sounded quiet, something must be wrong with it :p

#223 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:09

What I don't like is that they'll all use the same engine and chassis...

#224 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,123 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:17

Why? I think that guanatees everyone gets an equal car which seems to be the way to go.No one can afford a technology war-I think one make may be the way for F1 to go some day.

#225 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:07

Why? I think that guanatees everyone gets an equal car which seems to be the way to go.No one can afford a technology war-I think one make may be the way for F1 to go some day.

I like individual personality in the cars themselves, not mass-production and slap a sticker on them.

When looking at the Ferraris of 79, 82 and 02, or the McLarens of 91 and 98, even the bright wierd designs of the once Minardi team, that's where racing has carisma, and they all sounded diffirent.

Also, I support the cars mainly, drivers for me are secondary.

This feels more like Formula - Clones.

I do enjoy Indy racing, but struggle developing a passion for it as it's clone racing.

#226 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 14:49

Agreed, that defeats the purpose of having a formula that could favor GREEN research.  Oh well.

#227 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 859 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:34

The more I read about the series, the more exciting it seems.  Imo, it has potential to build a huge, new fan base. One of the things not really talked about too much is the use of 'augmented reality'. 

Formula E to use Qualcomm technologies in electric cars

He added the information would also be able to be accessed by the public through the planned roll-out of its Vuforia software.

The app promises to offer an "augmented reality" view of the race, allowing spectators to carry on watching the car of their choice even if buildings or other objects obstruct their view by holding up their smartphone or tablet to make the vehicle visible.

Although it's a bit gimmicky, I can see families and people of all ages enjoying this sort of app and the fact it will take place on city streets makes it pretty accessible rather than Tilke tracks in the middle of nowhere - looking at you South Korea!

The only problem at this stage will be what level of talent and name value they can attract, imo. Would Di Grassi vs Alguersuari for the title capture the interest of the public, or does it really matter at that stage?

Agreed, that defeats the purpose of having a formula that could favor GREEN research.  Oh well.

It's a one make series only for the first year, apparently.

Tech Talk: Should Mr E fear Formula E?

. . .

And that is the most crucial thing for Formula E – to become a platform for development.

Right now, it’s just a one–make formula but surely a series where the technology used is so new that they had to write their own rules will draw in interested manufacturer eyes when it kicks off.

In year two, it will cease being a one-make series and open its doors to anyone willing to construct a car to its regulations.

And that’s when Formula One will really see if it needs to worry...

#228 kimifan88

kimifan88

• 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 17:53

So it looks like London isnt gonna be the first race any more. Is this a sign of the wheels falling off Formula E?

http://www.independe...ce-8833062.html

#229 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 859 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 15:37

So it looks like London isnt gonna be the first race any more. Is this a sign of the wheels falling off Formula E?

http://www.independe...ce-8833062.html

Nah, I'd say it's more the bureaucracy of holding a race in London. 

IndyCar’s Dragon Racing signs up for Formula E

A second IZOD IndyCar Series squad will be expanding to the all-electric FIA Formula E Championship that is slated to begin next fall.

It was announced earlier today that Dragon Racing, which currently fields two IndyCar programs for four-time Champ Car World Series champion Sebastien Bourdais and Colombian pilot Sebastian Saavedra, has joined the grid for Formula E’s inaugural season – joining fellow IndyCar outfit Andretti Autosport as well as UK-based Drayson Racing and China Racing.

Wonder if that means we'll be seeing Bourdais make a few appearances in the series.

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 25 September 2013 - 15:37.

#230 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,495 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:24

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110184

Wow. That's a huge development.

#231 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:31

i would like to see some circuit maps.And I don't mean monaco!

#232 Anja

Anja

• 547 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 17:42

I would like to know who will actually race in this series.

#233 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:18

dragon racing livery

1235169_636266529746565_436406253_n.jpg

now we need Norton, Avast and Kaspersky liveries and see which goes faster  :p

racing calendar

map

1378377_637121896327695_730510501_n.jpg

dateline (provisional ) 

R1 - Beijing, China* - 20th Sept 2014
R2 - Putrajaya, Malaysia - 18th Oct 2014 
R3 - Hong Kong, China - 8th Nov 2014
R4 - Punta del Este, Uruguay - 13th Dec 2014
R5 - Buenos Aires, Argentina - 10th Jan 2015
R6 - Los Angeles, USA - 14th Feb 2015
R7 - Miami, USA - 18th April 2015
R8 - Monte Carlo, Monaco* - 9th May 2015 
R9 - Berlin, Germany - 30th May 2015
R10 - London, UK - 27th June 2015

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

- so according to the timeline, the races will be during the F1 off season, which is good  :up:  hopefully this will boost the chances of current F1/indy/NAPCAR/tin top drivers making guest appearance alongside the regulars. 

- also another thought of mine, perhaps current F1 teams may let their third/reserve/test drivers participate in the series. drivers like Valsechi who doesn't currently drive for example. 

#234 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:28

FE is really starting to spark my curiosity. I'm doubtful about some of those cities happening, especially London, but it looks like they're really going to try to make a big impression in year one. Being at Monaco will be great for the series.

#235 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:29

Explanation on michelin's 18 inch 'All weather' tire, and why go 18 inch ... 

also, the berlin race will be in the Tempelhof Airport

@simon_pausch The Berlin Race takes place on 30th May 2015 at the Tempelhof airport. http://www.fiaformulae.com/events/2014-berlin 

#236 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:50

Am I the only one who is actually looking for that series? I like it!

#237 Exb

Exb

• 1,626 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:01

I'm looking forward to it as well, its interesting that those dates fall on Saturdays, I wonder how the timetable will play out. Also like the fact it runs over the F1 winter break, at least there will be something to watch - hopefully it will be more fan friendly than F1 as well.

#238 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:14

More Good News  :wave:

DTM's Team Rosberg wants to enter Formula E championship and have submitted application. 

Arno Zensen, teamchef of Team Rosberg who currently runs two Audi’s in the DTM, told Autosport.com about his application to enter Formula E.

Zensen witnessed the car launch in September and was overwhelmed by the idea of running a team in the new series. However he is doubtful if the application will be successful, he expects to know whether they are in by the end of October.

team rosberg has good history at DTM, last year, they were 4th in the CC, this year, they are currently 10th. 

#239 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,931 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:59

I never thought this would be a winter / off season series. FE strikes me as a sport better seen on the streets in summer....

Should be highly interesting and am looking forward to it. Still awaiting more news about coverage and broadcast. 

Advertisement

#240 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:21

I never thought this would be a winter / off season series. FE strikes me as a sport better seen on the streets in summer....

Should be highly interesting and am looking forward to it. Still awaiting more news about coverage and broadcast. 

well winter happens at different times in different countries  :kiss:

Edited by eronrules, 04 October 2013 - 08:30.

#241 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:31

back to business ... possible China-racing color scheme  (click for full view ... this is the only image on their webpage, and it's HUGE  :mad: )

Formula%20E%20china%202.jpg

now i must say ... this is the closest we'll ever get to a Dragon Ball Z themed single seater car ever  :love: (they need to add 3 more stars to make it 7)   :clap:

p.s maybe some Chinese speaking forum member might decipher possible driver/sponsor line up. google translate is a bit dodgy

#242 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,231 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:08

Guide to Formula E: Link to electric roadcars

#243 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,245 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:37

OK, this is crazy.

Formula E organisers are launching a new "Fanboost" system to spice up the show. This means that the fans will be able to VOTE ( :drunk:  :mad:) on what drivers that will have a 10 second push-to-pass advantage during the races.

My bet is that drivers protest will put this down the drain. 

Linky: 

http://sportel.ampi.tv/conference-fia

http://www.f1fanatic...=15#post-110999

Edited by Richard T, 15 October 2013 - 18:38.

#244 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:48

Is this a sick joke?

If not, it shows the FIA's true colours towards racing, Webber's WWE comments weren't as much of an exaggeration as people think.

#245 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,495 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:17

Oh dear, what on Earth is that all about. Given the strength of the calendar and the steady stream of teams looking to compete thus far, you wouldn't think the series would need to resort to these cheap gimmicks - I'm shocked to say this is more gimmicky than having the drivers run 100m between pit stops.

#246 Anja

Anja

• 547 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:34

And I was starting to think that this will be a serious championship. Oh well...

#247 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:37

OK, this is crazy.

Formula E organisers are launching a new "Fanboost" system to spice up the show. This means that the fans will be able to VOTE ( :drunk:  :mad:) on what drivers that will have a 10 second push-to-pass advantage during the races.

My bet is that drivers protest will put this down the drain. 

Linky: 

http://sportel.ampi.tv/conference-fia

http://www.f1fanatic...=15#post-110999

I had been following this with some degree of interest.

My interest in Formula E has now been killed stone dead.

Just waiting for a similar idea to be announced in Formula 1.

#248 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:41

And it was supposed to be good... and they bring all these retarded gimmicks. I really thought that it will be worth watching.. but that running first, and now this... I could understand running cuz of car not being capable of running full race with maximum output or whatever. But VOTE TO PASS. What the ****.

Let's also ask viewers who should get pole position -0.5sec

Or 1 less lap during a race.

#249 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,885 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 19:44

So what, next thing will be someone shooting drivers when they run to change the car :drunk:

#250 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:11

Has something finally been created that cannot cause an argument on the Autosport forum?

What a ridiculous idea. Really, really dumb and an insult to motorsport fans across the world.