* * * * - 7 votes

Official Formula E thread

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#251 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,978 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:15

Well I was looking forward to this but it seems to be going the direction of A1GP's mutant cousin that nobody talks about.

I thought it would be more pure motorsport.

Advertisement

#252 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,331 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:19

Perhaps it's an Ecclestone-esque ploy to generate headlines?  I hope so, anyway...

#253 Richard T

Richard T

• 902 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 20:36

This will mean huge work for the teams PR guys..

Lotus F1 team Twitter guy can't work for all Formula E teams at the same time

#254 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,458 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 22:55

maybe there going for the danica crowd

#255 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,880 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 22:59

FE is really starting to spark my curiosity.

I-See-What-You-Did-There-Cat.jpg

#256 Les

Les

• 2,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 23:10

When I first heard about people going on about this fan vote on Twitter I thought it was a joke, I would have never had contemplated that this could be a genuine proposal. Utter nonsense and I'm not interested in such nonsense if it happens. 

#257 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,306 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:28

Dear god!

Taking some good steps forward, getting a lot of peoples interest and then they take a giant leap back.

#258 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:44

Agreed, that defeats the purpose of having a formula that could favor GREEN research.  Oh well.

Not to be lost sight of is the fact that Dullara only excel in series where they're the sole supplier. 

In more open fields they can't be seen........up front anyway.  :wave:

#259 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,300 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:55

Vote to give a free kick to your favourite team at the world cup.

Advertisement

#260 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,949 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:24

Not to be lost sight of is the fact that Dullara only excel in series where they're the sole supplier. 

Apart from Formula 3, where they were so far in front no-one else could compete.

#261 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,258 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:57

How about Audi... at Le mans ?

DALLARA are responsible for much of their development work and wind tunnel testing. 

#262 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:59

HRT car was competitive against Virgin and Lotusham despite appalling lack of finance, backup and development. Actually imo the 2 teams were made quite embarrased. If that Dallara had been with decent team with enough fund, the car shud be mixing with established teams, i have to imagine.

#263 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 717 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:21

Next up, a phone vote to determine the grid order ahead of the race. You'll get to hear all the driver's sob stories for free before voting.

#264 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,212 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:58

Lol. The HRT was basically a GP2 car with a Cossie V8 and an Xtrac bolted to it..... With a few other mods to get it past scrutineering.

Mind you. Just goes to show how fundamentally quick the GP2 cars are though.

#265 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 16:31

Lol. The HRT was basically a GP2 car with a Cossie V8 and an Xtrac bolted to it..... With a few other mods to get it past scrutineering.

Mind you. Just goes to show how fundamentally quick the GP2 cars are though.

yeah, and yet doing well against virgin and lotusham that was meant to be F1 car rather than gp2 car. then what wouldve happen if with decent team and funds..   ;)

#266 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,880 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 16:46

You can turn that around as well and say that Caterham and Marussia are at 95% of the other teams on a lot less tha 95% of the budget.  So really everyone else is underachieving...

#267 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,108 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:03

OK, this is crazy.

Formula E organisers are launching a new "Fanboost" system to spice up the show. This means that the fans will be able to VOTE ( :drunk:  :mad:) on what drivers that will have a 10 second push-to-pass advantage during the races.

Blimey! But then I suppose it's only the same sort of thing as the "Fansboo" system that is doing a decent job of grabbing the headlines for F1 :p

If they do go ahead with that idea, I'l be using my own "1 second to push the remote control button and watch something else instead" system...

#268 toofast

toofast

• 370 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:10

HRT car was competitive against Virgin and Lotusham despite appalling lack of finance, backup and development. Actually imo the 2 teams were made quite embarrased. If that Dallara had been with decent team with enough fund, the car shud be mixing with established teams, i have to imagine.

I can argue it the other way. Dallara has a lot more experience in racing compare to the two. It should give them better base to start with yet they failed.

Christian Klien certainly thinks F110 was not up to F1 standard

Edited by toofast, 16 October 2013 - 17:10.

#269 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:29

You can turn that around as well and say that Caterham and Marussia are at 95% of the other teams on a lot less tha 95% of the budget.  So really everyone else is underachieving...

yeah you can say that for 1st year, but not really for 2nd and 3rd year. By the 3rd year Lotusham had Renault, gearbox by RBR, staffs like Gascoyne and Smith, and so on, and Marrusia had access to Mclaren tech etc, while HRT operation had been in total mess throughout its existence. Sure pecking order was obviously Caterham>Marrusia>HRT, but HRT werent occupying the bottom of the grid even in later rounds of 2012.

#270 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,484 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:53

So, let me get this right...
If I hit the facebook_like_button_small.jpg Driver gets an OT boost?

Can we also SLAM THE BRAKES ON by hitting theIRVOMa9.jpg?

Whoa Nelly this could be fun for us sarcastic and duplicitous posters on here

Ohh I can't wait :D

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 16 October 2013 - 18:59.

#271 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,392 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 20:34

Formula Idol?

Maybe Simon Cowell can commentate.

#272 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,484 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 20:47

Wait...we've seen the outcome of this type of thing before right?

Jp

#273 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 2,855 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 22:40

OK, this is crazy.

Formula E organisers are launching a new "Fanboost" system to spice up the show. This means that the fans will be able to VOTE ( :drunk: :mad:) on what drivers that will have a 10 second push-to-pass advantage during the races.

My bet is that drivers protest will put this down the drain.

Linky:
http://sportel.ampi.tv/conference-fia
http://www.f1fanatic...=15#post-110999

JP basically beat me to what I was going to say: and I thought NASCAR was bad. :lol:

Really, that's more down to a law of diminishing returns than anything, lol.

#274 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:35

I'm loving it that this whole SFB idea is potentially on target to score an own goal!

#275 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:47

How about Audi... at Le mans ?

DALLARA are responsible for much of their development work and wind tunnel testing.

Hey, that's absolutely fantastic.
Guess every-one has to be good at something; like Toyota are obviously good at wind tunnels.

#276 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,300 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:09

Apart from the WWE gags, this seems like a watchable series. How many makes will there be in season one?

#277 barnardferrari

barnardferrari

• 218 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 17:10

Apart from the WWE gags, this seems like a watchable series. How many makes will there be in season one?

One.  It's a spec series for at least the first year.

#278 Craigster

Craigster

• 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:59

First Andretti and now Prost. I'm starting to look forward to this :D

http://www.autoweek....23/F1/131029911

#279 DrF

DrF

• 1,372 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:24

If it's in the F1 off season, then maybe some of the F1 drivers will get to race? Or the F1 reserve drivers? Definitely means that some of the talented drivers who haven't had an opportunity to drive in F1 will get to showcase their talent.

Changing cars mid race is silly. Have more, shorter races. It works ok for BTCC and the lack of pitstops will force drivers to pass on track.

Other options would be to pit for a battery change. Or electrify parts of the track so that cars can pick up power and go further and faster.

The interactive aspect is well worth looking into, perhaps some additional points could be awarded to drivers at the end of a race, depending on how the fans respond?

What will make or break this series is the TV coverage and whether any F1 drivers get involved.

Advertisement

#280 Richard T

Richard T

• 902 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 18:38

DAMS is the latest addition to Formula E.

The team will be called "e.dams" in a collaboration with Alain Prost

#281 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,331 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 18:47

edam-05.jpg

?

#282 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,836 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:24

^^^ this place is tasty, i wished i could say the same about Edams (most boring cheese ever)    :p 

anyway ...  

alain prost on the new collaboration ...

“I am very happy to be a part of the Formula E adventure. Being able to actively participate in the development of this new technology, which is 100% electric is extremely motivating. As we’ve seen in other championships, 2014 will see a move towards more sustainable racing, proving more than ever that motorsport is the benchmark for the future.”

Jean-Paul Driot, founder of leading GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 team Dams ... 

“Getting involved with the FIA Formula E Championship was an obvious choice. Being the race enthusiast that I am, I was immediately convinced by this new concept of using fully electric single-seater cars and believe it will shape the future of motorsport. The implementation of new technologies, in the heart of the most beautiful cities in the world and in front of a young audience, lays the path for a new form of motorsport, which is innovative and respectful to the environment. I am extremely proud to be a part of this new challenge.”

http://www.fiaformul...omes-fifth-team

i just hope that this doesn't end up being another Prost GP failure...  :( but would love to see the car in Prost blue  :love:

640px-Prost_AP01_2.JPG

#283 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,836 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:01

so ... those of you who were sad by the demise of Super Aguri ... 

Good News ...  :up: 

Super Aguri joins FIA Formula E Championship as sixth team 

Aguri_main_news.jpg

Aguri suzuki on joining FIA formula E

“Today is a new chapter for the Super Aguri name and I’m proud that our team will represent Japan in the inaugural Formula E series. Zero emissions racing is a progressive concept for the motorsport industry, and after more than 40 years as both a driver and team owner, I see Formula E as a great stride towards the future.Japan has always been at the forefront of cutting-edge innovation and technology and our participation in the series will enable us to promote and develop electric vehicle technology not just in our region, but also on a global scale.”

Alejandro Agag, CEO of series promoters Formula E Holdings

“We’re very pleased to have Super Aguri join the FIA Formula E Championship and to be welcoming yet another high profile name onto the grid. Japan has a long and celebrated motorsport heritage, as well as one of the most prominent and largest car industries in the world, so it’s a real honour to have a Japanese team and we hope this will lead to interest from manufacturers and possibly even a Formula E race there in the future.”

#284 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 1,993 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:10

I;m looking forward to Formula E. It's about the only truly interesting thing going on in motorsports at the minute.

#285 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,836 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:26

Big Boys Audi sports decides to join the Formula E circus  :clap:

ABT sportsline joins as the 7th out of 10 teams and the only German team (so far).

ABT Sportsline to compete in Formula E under Audi Sport banner

New_Audi%20Main_News.jpg

Hans-Jürgen Abt. (TP of ABT sportsline)

“We’re proud to have the opportunity to take part in the debut of this new racing series. Participating in the new FIA Formula E Championship marks a completely new chapter in our more than 60-year motorsport history. As a company that has been active in the field of regenerative powertrains and electric mobility we’re convinced of the series’ concept. It’s innovative, delivers motorsport at the highest level and a great show for fans around the world – all of which are a perfect fit for ABT Sportsline.”

Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich

“We’ve been watching this new project of the FIA with great interest and are delighted that ABT Sportsline as one of our close and long-standing partners will be involved right from the beginning. We’re keeping our fingers crossed for the squad on tackling this new challenge and are planning to support its commitment with drivers from our factory line-up if required.”

Alejandro Agag (CEO of FE):

“We’re delighted to welcome the Audi Sport ABT Formula E Team into the championship, our seventh of 10 teams and the third European outfit. Formula E is very much an open championship and a platform for teams to showcase their own fully-electric cars, so to have one of the most successful German motorsport teams with the support of a big manufacturer on board is a fantastic addition to the series. I’m sure German racing fans will also be particularly pleased as they now have a home team to support during the Berlin Formula E race.”

#286 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:31

So that's 6 established teams (I'm not counting China Racing as anything other than a propaganda operation). Looks promising, especially given the Indycar, sportscar and F1 heritage.

#287 eronrules

eronrules

• 2,836 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:32

lucas di grassi takes the new SRT01 for a spin ... 0-62mph 2.8s top speed 160mph

get used to the sound :cat:  (video)

http://instagram.com/p/gr_2WoRP54/

also a  feature with BBC ... 

UP Close with the 'Formula E' car (video)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-24918209

points to be noticed 

1. there will be 2 monocoques, one for driver protection (tub), one for the protection of the batteries.

2. there will be regenerative breaking systems to harness energy (KERS) ... :confused: 

3. push to pass systems will be available to aid overtaking.

4. all weather tires to conserve energy,  

Edited by eronrules, 15 November 2013 - 11:37.

#288 FullThrottleF1

FullThrottleF1

• 280 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:55

This could be such a good series:

1. Racing through cities is COOL

2. Its an open championship like F1 after the first year.

but:

Vote to Pass is the worst idea since the dawn of humankind.

#289 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 745 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:24

UP Close with the 'Formula E' car (video)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-24918209

I have to admit, I was more interested by the video about 'Bronies'. I think I've been living under a rock.

I'm guessing Di Grassi will be the first champion, with all the testing he's done, but I'll be interested what calibre of driver they attract. Less than a year away though now  :well:

but:

Vote to Pass is the worst idea since the dawn of humankind.

Reminds me of All My Circuits films in Futurama.

Formula Eman: [voice-over] If you want Hamilton to gain 'vote to pass' and speed to victory, press 1. If you want Vettel to double-check his paperwork and cost to victory, press 2. Enter now.

["1. Exciting Hamilton" and "2. Tedious Vettel" appear on screen. Confused, Fry presses "1" on his chair.]

Formula Eman: You have pressed 2.

Fry: No, I didn't!

Formula Eman: I'm almost positive you did.

#290 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,331 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58

KERS and push-to-pass? Or are they both the same system?

#291 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 13:02

KERS is just the energy recovery method. P2P is the limited-time power boost system. It's just that in F1 the way KERS is implemented is as a P2P system, when it doesn't have to be.

#292 R Soul

R Soul

• 523 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 16:25

I know the reason for the 100m sprint and vote to pass; the last thing the FIA wants is for Formula E to be more credible than F1.

#293 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,370 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 17:32

I'm backing Super Aguri, who's with me?

The F1 highlights reel:

#294 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,978 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 21:05

Super Aguri are awesome. I'm supporting them  :up:

#295 DrF

DrF

• 1,372 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:32

When is it and how do we watch it?

I personally feel that an ad -driven internet stream is the way to go. TV is history.

Edited by DrF, 18 November 2013 - 17:36.

#296 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,813 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:37

I'm quite excited about this and look forward to watching the race in London next year. However details about the route are nowhere to be found. 

#297 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 3,525 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 17:47

is there released official calendar?

That sport might replace F1 one day

Edited by Shiroo, 18 November 2013 - 17:47.

#298 swerved

swerved

• 3,500 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:11

I'm quite excited about this and look forward to watching the race in London next year. However details about the route are nowhere to be found. 

Boris Johnson hopes the start line is here.

http://www.telegraph...ng-drivers.html

#299 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 5,978 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 20:23

I'm not entirely convinced about the all street circuits plan. It's great that the series will do Monaco though. However I'd have thought FE would be perfect for Brands Hatch and other noise limited circuits.

Advertisement

#300 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:56

Revealed today at Tokyo Motorshow that Takuma Sato appointed as development driver and ambassador of Formula E

01.jpg

Edited by muramasa, 20 November 2013 - 14:02.