Official Formula E thread

• Please log in to reply
907 replies to this topic

#351 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 13:38

but this Vote-To-Pass is sure atm?

no, same with 'run to the car' and  'artificial sound'. they are all 'suggestions' and 'considerations' . so expect almost none of them to make it the final cut.   ;)

Advertisement

#352 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,656 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:58

Yeah, I don't expect to see these gimmicky ideas to be in the final gig. I kind of hope they are Bernie-esque attention grabbers. Big hopes for this. I notice some venues still messing about with final decisions location wise. I do hope the vision of a city street series comes to fruition and it's not seconded off to outlying circuits.

#353 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,656 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 20:01

And again, some coverage news please.... I do expect to have to have some Sky access to see this. And maybe even then only highlights shows for the first year. I think coverage is half of what will make or break this series.

#354 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:46

And again, some coverage news please.... I do expect to have to have some Sky access to see this. And maybe even then only highlights shows for the first year. I think coverage is half of what will make or break this series.

I'm very excited about this series. It's true that its survival could hinge on proper coverage.

#355 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:23

I'm very excited about this series. It's true that its survival could hinge on proper coverage.

since you asked ...  :kiss:

http://www.fiaformul...roadcast-rights

for japanese viewers .... 

TV Asahi have today (29 November) announced the acquisition of the exclusive Japanese broadcasting rights for the FIA Formula E Championship.The multi-year agreement will see the Japanese network show live coverage of all Formula E races - together with extensive coverage of the practice and qualifying sessions - across its terrestrial, satellite and cable channels.  

for international viewers ...

TV Asahi now joins FOX Sports as confirmed broadcasters for the new zero emission series after it was announced earlier this year that the US network would show live coverage of all Formula E races in the US and 88 territories around the world – a potential reach of more than 180 million households worldwide.

regarding broadcasting ...
Aurora named exclusive host broadcaster for FIA Formula E 

The agreement will see AMW (aurora media worldwide) produce world-class coverage of all Formula E races, qualifying and practice sessions, delivering an innovative and interactive experience to a new generation of motorsport fan ... Its (AMW) dedicated team, which includes renowned motorsport director Westbury Gillett and producer Mike Scott, boasts many years’ experience gained from high-profile street circuit events such as the Monaco and Australian Formula One Grands Prix.  ....

All Formula E races will be produced in HD 1080i by the same dedicated experienced production team using the latest technology, innovative cameras and outside broadcast facilities – guaranteeing outstanding production values, quality and consistency at each event. To date, Formula E has already confirmed a multi-year, multi-media deal with FOX Sports - one of the largest global sports broadcasters.

more on the Fox deal http://www.fiaformul...ulti-media-deal

As well as full US broadcast exclusivity across the FOX family of networks, including FOX Sports 1, America’s new sports network set to launch on August 17th, FOX Sports also has exclusive and non-exclusive rights in more than 80 territories including Canada, Latin America/Caribbean, Netherlands, Italy, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, key Asian territories and other areas of Asia, India and Africa.

#356 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 690 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:37

I would be into this IF....

...if, it was wide open technically on the power side.  Having a spec series with electric motors does NOTHING to help "green" technology advance.

People should look for a documentary on Netflix called "Charge", about the Isle of Man TT electric class.  You've got genuine technical competition, people trying to make solutions, realizing practicalities, developments like the Agni motor:

motor.jpg

... and a 1:1 comparison to chart performance:

iom-tt-zero-2013-76.jpg

That is really interesting stuff, akin to old-school F1 innovation, and it is driving technology forward.   It is a shame there isn't an equivalent in single seater racing.  Formula E is not it, IMO.

Edited by chipmcdonald, 07 December 2013 - 13:02.

#357 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:48

...if, it was wide open technically on the power side.  Having a spec series with electric motors does NOTHING to help "green" technology advance.

TBH, it is an open regulation series ... but since the series is at it's infancy, the organizers have started with a spec car. but according the them, other teams will be able to showcase there own technical prowess once the series gets going. 

regarding the current car ... it's the only one that has been homologated in time for the inaguration and for the first series. 

from the official Formula E website ... 

http://www.fiaformulae.com/guide

Operating as an 'open championship', the series gives car manufacturers and constructors the opportunity to showcase their electrical energy innovations in a racing environment, designing cars to the technical specifications set out by the FIA.

The FIA Formula E Championship is designed as an ‘open championship’, inspiring manufacturers and constructors to build their own fully-electric cars, subject to the technical specifications set out by the FIA.

As well as encouraging competition, it is hoped that by making the Championship a multi-make series it will serve as a framework for research and development around the electric vehicle and push the boundaries of the technology that is currently available.

of the current teams. Drayson racing is planning to introduce there own powertrain in 2015

http://www.fiaformul.../drayson-racing

From 2015 the team plans to be a constructor in its own right fielding a new drivetrain developed in conjunction with its sister organisation, Drayson Racing Technologies from the advanced DRT 4X2-640 electric system featured in the Lola-Drayson B12/69 hyper-EV.

#358 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,088 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:56

So Virgin is back... Awesome.  Any announcement about team 10?

#359 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:10

Leonardo DiCaprio involved in Formula E entry

Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio has entered into a joint venture with Venturi Automobiles to enter a team for the inaugural season of Formula E.

DiCaprio has co-founded the new Venturi Grand Prix Formula E Team, which has secured the 10th and final entry for the 2014/15 electric single-seater championship

Advertisement

#360 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:20

Thats my team then, DiCaprio is a gent. 

#361 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,050 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:30

"I want you to draw me like one of your French cars... wearing this. Wearing only this."

#362 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:36

INCEPTION of the 10th FormulaE team  :clap:

Leonardo DiCaprio & Venturi Automobiles team-up to launch tenth and final Formula E team

Venturi_Main_News.jpg

who are they ???

leonardo DiCaprio http://www.leonardodicaprio.com/

Venturi Automobile  http://www.venturicars.com/

team base - Monaco

the new Venturi Grand Prix Formula E Team has been co-founded by DiCaprio and Gildo Pallanca Pastor, founder of pioneering EV manufacturer Venturi Automobiles, together with Bert Hedaya and Francesco Costa.

btw, venturi's latest car is called  Fétish  :eek:

some comments ... 

DiCaprio

“The future of our planet depends on our ability to embrace fuel-efficient, clean-energy vehicles,”. “Venturi Grand Prix has shown tremendous foresight in their decision to create an environmentally friendly racing team, and I am happy to be a part of this effort.”

Mr. Gildo

“Venturi has been a pioneer in electric high performance vehicles for more than a decade and Formula E gives us the fantastic opportunity to further improve our advanced technologies through motorsport, as well as compete all over the world,. It also gives us the chance to be part of a new racing programme with a project that really shares Venturi’s values for clean mobility, innovation in the field of electric propulsion and energy efficiency optimisation.”

Alejandro Agag, CEO

“It’s an honour and a pleasure to welcome the Venturi Grand Prix team as the tenth and final team of the FIA Formula E Championship, Gildo is a true pioneer in electric racing. From the desert of Salt Lake to Antarctica, his passion and vision pushes forward the technology barriers of what can be done with an electric car. But Gildo is not alone in this venture. Global entrepreneurs Francesco Costa and Bert Hedaya bring great experience and energy to the team.

“And of course, I want to give a very special welcome to our Championship to Leonardo DiCaprio. Very few environmental leaders have helped more than him to spread the message of sustainability around the world. Having people like him and Richard Branson - global ambassadors for the environment - is a privilege for our Championship and will greatly help us to spread the use of electric cars in cities around the planet.”

but ... but ... but .... where is Matt DAmon ???  :cry:

Edited by eronrules, 09 December 2013 - 15:37.

#363 Anja

Anja

• 497 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:37

Leonardo + Venturi = Oh yeah.

#364 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:39

Do we have a count on red cars?

Drayson Racing
China Racing
Andretti Autosport
Dragon Racing
e.dams
Super Aguri
Audi Sport Abt
Mahindra Racing
Virgin Racing
Venturi Grand Prix

Edited by jrg19, 09 December 2013 - 15:50.

#365 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,050 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:44

I know I already made a Titanic joke, but thinking about it, I want DiCaprio to adpot his Howard Hughes character while involved in the team, obsessively going over every detail of the car.

#366 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:46

Venturi, huh? Guess the faster they'll go, the less pressure they'll put on their competitors.

#367 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,991 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:46

I know I already made a Titanic joke, but thinking about it, I want DiCaprio to adpot his Howard Hughes character while involved in the team, obsessively going over every detail of the car.

I'm sticking with Titanic gags for this one and I will never let go, (Jack)

#368 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 15:57

btw, if anyone doesn't know ... 

this is the livery of Drayson racing formula E car ... (distant cousin of Caterham :p )

draysonformulae.jpg

#369 tomspar

tomspar

• 106 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 16:30

Does anyone know what "racetracks" these cars will run on?

The full F1 track at Monaco would be great for them; will Monaco let so many roads be closed?

If you live in a host city, what streets would you build your track from? And what if you can have iconic streets or good racing but not both?

Looking forward to the series.

#370 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 19:03

this is the livery of Drayson racing formula E car ... (distant cousin of Caterham :p )

Caterham is the distant cousin, yes. Goes in the family

b4791a0d70.jpg

#371 R Soul

R Soul

• 568 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:15

DiCaprio's team should have been called Romeo Racing, but it might not have ended well.

#372 evo

evo

• 336 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:26

That would depend on if he believes the wheels will keep on turning.. or don't...

#373 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,758 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:43

If he takes on his catch me if you can role, he's going to be a front runner to replace Bernie.

That could be a real coup to have him involved (in whatever capacity) as it generates media hype.

#374 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:35

I bet Formula E will be more exciting than F1 ;]

#375 mgs315

mgs315

• 357 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:51

Looking over the team roster and the race schedule, this is looking very very promising. May just have to try get to the British round of this.

Very early days but it may even end up a competitor to F1 in the long haul.

#376 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:20

Well, DiCaprio has certainly changed his tune since being involved in making "The Beach" and by proxy the environmental damage the filming did to a Thai beach. Consider me sceptical that his nice words about being environmentally friendly are actually heartfelt rather than PR soundbites to win favour.

#377 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,758 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 23:43

I dont know what he said/did during that time, but youre comparing someone in their mid twenties to a near 40 year old.

They're essentially different people.

#378 Anja

Anja

• 497 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 00:08

Does anyone know what "racetracks" these cars will run on?

The full F1 track at Monaco would be great for them; will Monaco let so many roads be closed?

If you live in a host city, what streets would you build your track from? And what if you can have iconic streets or good racing but not both?

Looking forward to the series.

The track designs haven't been unveiled yet, there's still a lot of time. As for Monaco I would expect them to race on the full GP circuit, especially since it's a pretty short lap. Maybe they could do it on the same weekend that F1 runs there?

#379 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,499 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:40

People should look for a documentary on Netflix called "Charge", about the Isle of Man TT electric class.  You've got genuine technical competition, people trying to make solutions, realizing practicalities, developments like the Agni motor:

motor.jpg

... and a 1:1 comparison to chart performance:

iom-tt-zero-2013-76.jpg

That is really interesting stuff, akin to old-school F1 innovation, and it is driving technology forward.   It is a shame there isn't an equivalent in single seater racing.  Formula E is not it, IMO.

Just watched this documentary... fascinating stuff. People like this, and Lord Drayson with his electric speed record LMP are really doing great work... I really think in 20-25 years electric vehicles will surpass the capabilities of IC-powered ones, in terms of power, range, safety, efficiency... everything. Those idiots in the documentary complaining about the electric bikes will look even more stupid in the future when these bikes are better than anything they ride now, and with the caveat that if they do prefer petrol, there'll be more of it around to use on their bikes instead.

Because motorsport has now largely reached the peak of it's traditional technology (ie. engine power), it's mostly entertainment... but it used to be where you proved your technology. That's what the electric guys are doing now... they're the real purists.

I agree that as it stands Formula E is not what it should be, but if outfits like Drayson and companies like Qualcomm are involved, it can only move forward. They need the series to be a relatively easy entry point, but then with the provision that in the future bespoke designs will be allowed to move the technology forwards... I'm looking forward to that.

Advertisement

#380 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:13

Good NEWS !!!  :clap: 

Boston Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck and a dozen of his co-owners in the NBA franchise have invested $21 million into Formula E

Grousbeck

"We aim to help make Formula E a worldwide sensation, With our upcoming races in the centers of Los Angeles and Miami, we will help showcase the power and promise of sustainable vehicle technology ... We know the power of competition and entertainment, and will bring our knowledge to the development of the market for electric vehicles, Causeway's (his media company) mission is to find investment opportunities that benefit from our deep network of NBA and NFL team owners, media executives and professional investors. Formula E is a perfect match."

Formula E chief executive officer Alejandro Agag said the investment by American sports team owners is "a game-changer."

"The U.S. is one of the main markets for Formula E, To have a partner that knows deeply the U.S. sports market places us in a unique position to develop our championship in the Americas."

given i don't know who BOSTON CELTICs are ... or about almost any USA sport ... i do welcome the quids and attention this will give Formula E. who knows, perhaps Formula E will be able to do more what Formula 1 couldn't do with it's billions. good times ahead  :up:

#381 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 690 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:11

Because motorsport has now largely reached the peak of it's traditional technology (ie. engine power), it's mostly entertainment... but it used to be where you proved your technology. That's what the electric guys are doing now... they're the real purists.

F1 dipping their toes in electricity so daintily is foolish.  The electric side of F1 should be wide open.  We'd see advancements in battery technology, motor technology, management technology VERY quickly, all of which could go directly to road cars. 

That it's being doled out in this silly ultra-metered dose of 33 seconds a lap... That smells of the oil industry putting their foot down.   If they open the spec of F-E so that it can really advance like the Isle of Man TT class, F1 will be in trouble performance wise in short order. 

BUT... if they hamstring the formula with spec cars, and... geez, put fake sound coming out of them.... what's the point? 

The thing I'm most curious about is drivers coping with not having IC sound cues as to how fast they're going....

#382 MattPete

MattPete

• 1,426 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:36

F1 dipping their toes in electricity so daintily is foolish.  The electric side of F1 should be wide open.  We'd see advancements in battery technology, motor technology, management technology VERY quickly, all of which could go directly to road cars. 

I agree completely. I hate to use a cliche, but we are at a point of inflection. From hybrid cars to LED lightbulbs, F1 is increasingly looking like yester-tech.  At least Indycar has the right idea, with semi-spec cars (I'm assuming that aerokits and such will come) and cost-containment.  F1 is looking like a fool's erand: who can make the best wagon wheel or buggy-whip!

At least CART, er, Champcar, er, IRL, er, whateverthehelltheyarecallingindycarthesedays realize that racing needs to come first...

#383 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,088 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:47

Good NEWS !!!  :clap: 

Boston Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck and a dozen of his co-owners in the NBA franchise have invested $21 million into Formula E

Grousbeck

Formula E chief executive officer Alejandro Agag said the investment by American sports team owners is "a game-changer."

given i don't know who BOSTON CELTICs are ... or about almost any USA sport ... i do welcome the quids and attention this will give Formula E. who knows, perhaps Formula E will be able to do more what Formula 1 couldn't do with it's billions. good times ahead  :up:

And more may donate if it makes them look good or is a money maker - that's the good old USA.  What I think is that I am going to start sending out resumes to all of the FE affiliate companies - it would be a blast to be in the mix.  :D

#384 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:11

more GOOD NEWS  :clap:

FIA president Jean Todt says Formula E could race at Macau

Todt says Macau is a logical destination for the series to explore.

"It would make sense because it is in the city," 
if Macau could host Formula E. "It is something we would consider, yes.''

as i said before, it's a no brainer . make it happen TODT  :up:

another one ...

New Prodrive boss John Gaw looking to Formula E and Dakar Rally

Gaw (new boss at ProDrive)

"I would like to see us running cars in the new Formula E Championship, which I believe has a tremendous future, and to be competing in the Dakar, which is a natural progression given our 30 years of rallying experience,"

Edited by eronrules, 23 December 2013 - 15:12.

#385 ReDeYe

ReDeYe

• 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 19:24

Putrajaya Malaysia circuit that I made myself. The main street there is very wide and there are not much exciting corners.

hrsf.png

#386 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,047 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 22:38

So throw a (shudder) chicane on the main straight then. Kinda like Champ Car did with San Jose. 

#387 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:19

Five ex-F1 drivers eye Formula E seats (Autosport)

and they are ....

Sebastien Buemi, 

Karun Chandhok,

Lucas di Grassi,

Tonio Liuzzi,  

Takuma Sato,

plus

IndyCar race winner Marco Andretti, 

i think we can add Ho ping tung, Paul Di Resta, nick prost, Valsechi, and Jaime to the mix. 

p.s someone should give Rubens a call :stoned:   ...  and Heidfeld, you can come out now.  :p

Edited by eronrules, 08 January 2014 - 08:21.

#388 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,114 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:41

Putrajaya Malaysia circuit that I made myself. The main street there is very wide and there are not much exciting corners.

hrsf.png

Are you Hermann Tilke or have you just stolen a telephone transcript? ;)

Edited by Richard T, 08 January 2014 - 08:42.

#389 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,286 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:01

I wouldn't want to be an F1 team looking for sponsorship right now. As horrifying as Formula E is to watch.... it has, or at least will soon have so much more going for it for sponsors than F1.

#390 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,538 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:02

As horrifying as Formula E is to watch....

How do you know? - it hasn't raced yet!

#391 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:06

Oh no, one of the 2017 Formula E teams added a flux capacitor to their car. When it hit 88 mph it sent rhukkas back in time.

#392 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,214 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:38

and they are ....

Sebastien Buemi,
Karun Chandhok,
Lucas di Grassi,
Tonio Liuzzi,
Takuma Sato,

plus

i think we can add Ho ping tung, Paul Di Resta, nick prost, Valsechi, and Jaime to the mix.

If Sato's coming in, they'll have to ban 'Fanboost'. :p

#393 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 17:24

If Sato's coming in, they'll have to ban 'Fanboost'. :p

Why not Sato? Hahaha,,, he wouldn't need it anyway. 

I like the people listed. And with Andretti saying early on they'd like to get their other drivers in a car during the season, that'd add Hinchcliffe, Munoz, and Hunter-Reay. 

#394 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 144 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 18:01

and they are ....

Sebastien Buemi, 

Karun Chandhok,

Lucas di Grassi,

Tonio Liuzzi,  

Takuma Sato,

plus

p.s someone should give Rubens a call :stoned:   ...  and Heidfeld, you can come out now.  :p

Can't wait for next semptember.

I bet thet more ex F1 will join the show (i've heard that B.Senna is also very interested)

#395 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 18:07

Formula E is looking more and more interesting with every new pieces of news. Any word on when the first season starts?

#396 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,538 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 18:55

Sept 2014 running through to mid 2015.
Rumours exist that all the cars will be based and tested at Donington Park.

#397 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 953 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 21:24

Ma Quinghua. Oh dear.

Still, I suppose they needed a comedy driver to go with how comical the whole series is.  ;)

#398 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 23:17

Well ignoring Chinese Propaganda Racing the series' entry is looking fairly good for a first year.

#399 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,758 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:00

Agree completely. open up the electric rules and you'd please the greenies, the engineering/technology nerds and those craving road car relevence

The thing I'm most curious about is drivers coping with not having IC sound cues as to how fast they're going....

But they're not silent

Advertisement

#400 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,202 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:36

FIA Formula E Championship launches new Drivers' Club

The FIA Formula E Championship has today (January, 8) revealed the first eight drivers to show their support for the new fully-electric race series by signing up to its official Formula E Drivers’ Club. 

Sebastien Buemi, Marco Andretti, Karun Chandhok, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Adrien Tambay, Ma Qing Hua, Lucas di Grassi and Takuma Sato have all committed to the new scheme, giving their official endorsement to the championship together with their willingness to race in the future. 

for individual driver statements, follow the link here

p.s Koba and Kovi ...  ride the lightning  :smoking:

Edited by eronrules, 11 January 2014 - 11:36.